Archive for Friday, January 8, 2010

Freddy’s Frozen Custard seeks to fill old Sheridan’s site at 23rd and Iowa

Pines International, Grace Evangelical also among Lawrence development filings

January 8, 2010

The days of frozen custard at 23rd and Iowa streets evidently aren’t done yet.

Officials with Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Steakburgers have filed a site plan with the city’s planning department to open a new restaurant at the site of the former Sheridan’s Frozen Custard, 2030 W. 23rd St.

Sheridan’s closed in late 2009.

The new restaurant, which will be at the northeast corner of 23rd and Iowa, is expected to have a larger food offering and a significantly larger indoor dining area than Sheridan’s, according to the site plan filed with the city.

According to the company’s Web site, the restaurant offers hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches and frozen treats. The restaurant has locations throughout the Midwest, including in Topeka, Manhattan, Wichita, Salina and Hays.

In other restaurant news, signs indicate that Backyard Burgers, 2351 W. 31st, has closed its Lawrence location. Attempts to reach a spokesman at Backyard Burgers corporate office were unsuccessful to determine whether the company has plans to reopen in Lawrence.

Other development filings with the city include:

• Pines International, the manufacturer of nutritional supplements, has filed paperwork that would allow it to expand its manufacturing facility in northern Douglas County.

Planning commissioners at their Jan. 27 meeting will consider a preliminary plat for Pines International to build an 8,000-square-foot addition to its manufacturing facility at 1997 E. 1400 Road.

But Allen Levine, director of sales for Pines, said the company hasn’t decided whether to expand the facility but rather wants to be prepared if such a decision is made.

Levine said the company is looking at options for reorganizing the company’s manufacturing process, but that may not require new space.

One thing that is certain, Levine said, is that Pines’ business has been on the uptick despite the economic downturn.

“The last two years pretty much have been the highest sales in the company’s history,” Levine said.

The company makes a variety of nutritional supplements out of cereal grasses from wheat, barley, rye, oats and others.

Levine said the entire nutritional supplement industry has been doing well during the downturn.

“As the economy goes down, people are worried about losing their health insurance and become much more interested in preventive care,” Levine said.

Another large factor has been the decline in the U.S. dollar, which has been a boon to companies that export their products overseas. Levine said a substantial portion of Pines’ products end up in the Asian and European markets.

Pines employs about 20 people. Levine said any expansion likely would not involve an immediate increase in the company’s work force.

• Grace Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 3312 Calvin Drive, has filled a rezoning request that would allow the church to build a new chapel on its current site. The rezoning would change the property’s zoning from a traditional residential zoning to a mixed-use office designation.

• A rezoning is being sought for a vacant piece of ground at 525 Wakarusa Drive that would allow for a bank to locate on the property. The application does not identify which bank may be interested in the site.

Comments

Judgesmails 4 years, 3 months ago

RIP schlotskys. Thats too bad.

i thought BYB was pretty good, too.

poppygirl 4 years, 3 months ago

I too miss HENRY'S and Alfies Fish & Chip right next door !

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 3 months ago

do y'all remember woolco and venture? that's taking it back a little. :)

markmehrer 4 years, 3 months ago

for BigPrune, in the spirit of what makes this country so great Freddies simply contacted me via the property owner and expressed interest in my location. knowing the position i was in, decreased business and lack of support/commitment from corporate, i only wanted to see that all my employees were taken care of and that i was able to walk from the situation free of any and all commitment. this worked out and all parties were satisfied with the outcome.

momofk 4 years, 3 months ago

MacHeath - agreed that there are too many burger joints that are all just about the same. I say we need a Chic-Fil-A since KFC is the only place to get chicken, but really who eats there anyway?

momofk 4 years, 3 months ago

thebcman - Yello Sub is ok, but just another typical Subway type sandwich. Nothing compares to Schlotzskys' sourdough bread.

budwhysir - Who said anything about loading up the whole family? I didn't. People do eat out on their lunch breaks and only have a limited amount of time to drive somewhere and eat their food before their lunch is over, so it could be a huge pain to go somewhere only to find out they're closed...and now you don't have time to go anywhere else to eat.

MacHeath 4 years, 3 months ago

More Burger? Man, you are goin back. I used to go to Topeka just to get a Vista burger. Last time I was there, they had gone to a pre-formed patty. What a bummer! I like Culver's ok. Five Brothers is good, but kinda expensive. Too many burger joints.

kansasmutt 4 years, 3 months ago

Yall need to get Buckys and More Burger back. That was some good eatin. Dons Steak House, yummmmmmmmyyy Owh and Henrys down on 6th, best fries in town.

BigPrune 4 years, 3 months ago

How did Freddy's find out about Sheridan's in the first place?

TopJayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Freddies is good. Don't know if the hyper-critical lawrence haters crowd will like it or not.

dontcallmedan 4 years, 3 months ago

Parrot-Waffle house should be required to drop the W.

thebcman 4 years, 3 months ago

bud .. 5. people in this town love to think they know everything, and will post ignorant posts on message boards to prove it.

mom .. yello sub makes some darn tasty sandwiches, and they'll customize it however you want it.

budwhysir 4 years, 3 months ago

Ya its frustrating to load the whole family up and drive clear across town thinking we will be eating greasy hamburgers and then have to settle for some grilled chicken from a fried chicken place.

momofk 4 years, 3 months ago

It's about time the ljw said something about these places closing (kinda)! I was very sad to see Backyard Burger closed when I went to eat there. They had the best service around and my order was never messed up, which leaves me to wonder how the places that have the worst service and always mess my order up are still open?! Also disappointed to see Schlotzsky's closed :( One of a kind sandwiches-now I have to drive to Olathe to get a good ham & cheese.

LJW-please let us know when businesses close in Lawrence, especially food establishments. It's frustrating to read the local paper daily (online) and never hear of any of these things. Would make it easier on people if they knew something was closed BEFORE they wasted their time driving across town to get there. Just an f.y.i.

budwhysir 4 years, 3 months ago

Wow, I read this article and all the posts that people put up and there is only a few things I learn. 1. people in this town are very lazy when it comes to cooking 2. people in this town care nothing about eating right 3. people in this town have a terrible diet 4. people in this town are not happy with any type of food

cozy 4 years, 3 months ago

Vic (Anonymous) says…

What I want is something in that old Food-4-Less at 25th and Iowa. Fill that ugly eyesore please.

Gordmans!! Waaaay better than TJ Maxx- it has actual departments and doesnt feel like a thrift store with the long clothes racks. Very reasonably priced too!

parrothead8 (Anonymous) says…

I love Waffle House! Waffle House would do very very well here. People are tired of the same old Perkins and IHOP.

thebcman 4 years, 3 months ago

It sounds like Mark did want to diversify the menu, but franchise restrictions with Sheridan's prevented that. I've never been to a Freddy's before, but I'll give it a shot. That is a prime location. You have to believe good (year-round) food and good service is all it would take to succeed there.

parrothead8 4 years, 3 months ago

I'd love to see a Waffle House in Lawrence. Open 24/7/365 serving side orders of grease to all. Mmmmm...

Also, why don't frozen custard/ice cream places try diversifying the menu a little in winter? Maybe become a soup/chili place when the weather is cold?

markmehrer 4 years, 3 months ago

yes, our building was the retro-fitted hardees. the basement wall actually still said hardees on it! thanks for the kind words. i would agree Tropical Ice has a great business model and i was blessed to be presented with a new occupant.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

Class of 75...

def con 4 I repeat def con 4

Steve Jacob 4 years, 3 months ago

Office Depot, not Staples, my bad. Sorry Mark. At least you did not have to sit on the property. Maybe the best business model is "Tropical Ice", you open six months out of the year in a shed, not much overhead.

classof75 4 years, 3 months ago

Bring back Vista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigPrune 4 years, 3 months ago

I think to all the people who keep spouting off about the closed businesses and vacancies need to realize that up until 3 months ago, Lawrence had the most restrictive codes in the nation and vacant space was practically impossible to rent. Why might you ask? The Progressive City Commission 5 years ago passed a new code that put parking restrictions on commercial properties and the majority of places no longer had a large enough parking lot to rent out a vacant space. Not only that, a site plan was required and most likely a parking variance would be required and after all the time and 10's of thousands in expenses paid by the prospective tenant, the City could always say, "No."

Now it is time to get the word out that Lawrence is again business friendly.

Smart Growth Ruined Our Quality of Life, All Hail the Sacred Cow Horizon 2020

thebcman 4 years, 3 months ago

thanks for the info Mark! did Sheridan's use the existing Hardee's building? If so, I'm sure it was in pretty bad shape.

markmehrer 4 years, 3 months ago

as the owner of the closed sheridans i just want to provide the facts to those who supported us for so many years. i could not have faced a harder decision in my life, i loved working in the store, seeing everyone, and meeting each and everyone who enjoyed our product. my store was a franchise and was not affiliated with any of the other sheridans in kansas city or topeka. when the recession started i did not feel the immediate effects, however i was coming off my slowest two quarters since i had been there. in addition the building was in disrepair and i was responsible for all reparis and maintenance. i was also dealing with a franchise that would not see the need in an expanded menu. i wanted nothing more than to stay in business, but there was no give. i was approached by a buyer who wanted my location and as i did not see any relief in the near future felt it was the best option. i just wanted to dispell any rumors or non accurate information. thanks again for all the memories and support.

mark

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 3 months ago

i would like for salina to get a hardees again as well.

other franchises have come, gone and come back. one of them is little ceasars. they are about to open a new store any day now and they have been gone from the salina area for a decade.

there are still sheridans in jo-co though, if anyone wants there fix... or atleast i THINK there are. there used to be a couple on 119th.

errita 4 years, 3 months ago

We don't even have a Staples how are we to close it?

lynchburgsbest 4 years, 3 months ago

i vote braums (but they dont have those north of emporia)!!!!!!! but freddies isnt bad. their is one in pittbsurg almost right across from pitt state. its a good place to eat. good fries

gccs14r 4 years, 3 months ago

It's 343 miles from Tuttle to Lawrence. Add in local travel on both ends and it's probably 350.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 3 months ago

"Vacant store fronts at 6th and Monterey center anchored by Hy-Vee"

I heard the owner of CD Tradepost say he went to landlord about lowering lease rate. He said no and the business moved. And is the store front still empty? I just think commercial real estate owners are still in denial about lower values, it took years for home sellers to accept it. A good example is the strip malls on the east side are more full then the west side. I bet the east sides rent much lower.

Lee Eldridge 4 years, 3 months ago

That's interesting about Braums. Always thought one would do great in Lawrence.

trinity 4 years, 3 months ago

i appreciate the Braum's education! always wondered why it seemed their places sort of just stop down south. now i know! mmmmmmm. love 'em! great memory-being stranded in some little town in oklahoma-on motorcycle-pulled in to a braum's and waited out a really bad thunderstorm, nearly two hours. :)

thebcman 4 years, 3 months ago

according to the Braum's website ... Braum's products are delivered every other day by our own fleet of refrigerated trucks so that we can sell and serve fresh products. In order to deliver this freshness, our delivery system requires that store locations be within approximately a 300-mile radius of our processing plant and distribution center in Tuttle, Oklahoma, 40 miles southwest of Oklahoma City. ============ okay, OKC is 344 miles from KC MO ... i think that would put Lawrence very close to approx. 300 miles from their distribution center. If they can deliver to Emporia, what difference would another hour make?

Braums would rock in Lawrence.

FarneyMac 4 years, 3 months ago

Schlotzky's was still open? I just assumed it closed sometime around 1999 and they left the lights on for the past 11 years...

Amanda Woodward Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

It's my understanding that we can't have a Braum's because we are out of the 300-mile radius of their dairy. Their claim to fame is there fresh milk and daily products and they keep their quality by not distributing outside of a 200-mile radius of their dairy. I wish that wasn't the case though, because I love Braum's.

EdenPrairie87 4 years, 3 months ago

Let's not forget all the other empty space located in the strip malls around Lawrence and I believe that new building in North Lawrence is nearly empty. Also there is that huge building in the East Hills Business Park that has been empty since it was built.

Empty stores in Downtown? You betcha!

And I am sure there are dozens of other empty stores and buildings around Lawrence in places that are hidden from view.

KU_cynic 4 years, 3 months ago

I await a serious LJW story on failed businesses and vacant commercial real estate in Lawrence. Off the top of my head I think of

--Vacant store fronts at 6th and Monterey center anchored by Hy-Vee;

-- Vacant out-building properties at 31st and Iowa in area anchored by Home Depot and Best Buy;

-- Masonic Temple in downtown Lawrence;

-- Former Hereford House location at 6th and Wak;

-- Food-4-Less at 27th and Iowa;

--Former Pachemama's location behind Hy-Vee on West 23rd Street;

-- and -- I haven't been lately -- but what's the status of the river front mall locations and the outlet mall locations in north Lawrence?

In short, as has been noted by KU Professor McClure (I think I got the name right), there has been a serious buildup of commercial real estate vacancies in Lawrence. Yet, the powers that be want to subsidize more commercial space (Oread Inn) or even acquire it (Oread Labs, Farmland Inds.) with tax payer funds.

I have no problem when someone wants to spend their own money to acquire existing or green field projects (e.g., west Lawrence Wal-Mart), but when the government wants to get into what looks like a losing game with my money I say, "Sell 'crazy' someplace else."

Steve Jacob 4 years, 3 months ago

We should start a dead pool for business in Lawrence (non-locally owned, that would be mean)

5) Pier 1 (Just a guess, they closed a few in 2009) 4) Staples (Empty Food4Less not helping) 3) Blockbuster (Stock is at 71 cents) 2) Cental National Bank (On government "unsound" list) 1) Steak & Shake (Stopped going 24 hours on weekdays)

macon47 4 years, 3 months ago

the eating places are at the mercy of what work force is avaialble figure it out, the young people in lawrence are losers and even too stupid to work in fast food that is why you complain about poor food and service

Defender 4 years, 3 months ago

Steak and Shake isn't bad, if you eat at one outside of Lawrence. Last time I went there, I got a speciality burger that came as a double. They only put one patty on the burger. I called it to theri attention, and they cooked another patty, and brought it to my table several minutes later. The original burger was cold and disgusting by then. Tell me if I am wrong, but don't you replace the whole burger?

BYB will be missed, pretty consistent, and pretty tasty. Sheridans just isn't very good, and like someone else said, the slim product line didn't help. Culver's has far better custard, and a good burger!

macon47 4 years, 3 months ago

braums is just like alot of legit eating establishments they dont want anything to do with lawrence and their looney grass root liberals not any money in selling to them they want it for free

hellsbasement 4 years, 3 months ago

part of the problem is that the only population increase in town is illegal immigrants. they do not go out to eat that much. they do not put money back into the economy, they send it home. this is also the #1 problem with the economy of the USA. stop illegal immigration now.

errita 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh yeah Braums!!! Ill take a Freddys for now though.

trinity 4 years, 3 months ago

braum's, yum...but then i'd have to cheat on my other love, culver's. steak&shake-yuk. haven't even bothered with it for more than several years. last experience there? gave up&just left-the service was that bad. s&s overpriced, too-imo.

GardenMomma 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I miss Baskin Robbins too.

StirrrThePot 4 years, 3 months ago

I had no idea about Sheridan's either, and I just drove by the place this afternoon.

That bums me out about BYB, I really liked that place. I was thinking about going there today in fact.

I also saw where Blue Plate Dinners closed up shop thanks to their landlords renegotiating terms that would put them under. So sad.

Vic 4 years, 3 months ago

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

Too many places and not enough spenders to support all of them no matter how good or bad they are = results of economic displacement( retail dollars spread too thin throughout the local retail market).

It is my feeling that Lowe's and Costco will NOT locate here. I think it is nothing but chatter. Not enough retail dollars around to support either. If Lowe's comes in Home Depot will likely go out = one more empty building.

Another problem with empty structures whether they be residential or commercial is no one is paying property taxes. That is my assumption after reading a list of delinquent taxes.

Empty buildings cost taxpayers money.

Vic 4 years, 3 months ago

Maybe that's a cursed location. You would think it would be a prime location, but when Hardee's was there, they didn't get the business. Maybe some of the comments are right. When Hardee's was there, Hardee's/Carl's Jr. was a terrible franchise. Since then, they have cleaned up and turned things around. Sheridan's has too limited of a menu to survive. I admit, Sheridan's looked almost always packed during the summer months. As for Backyard Burgers, I too never had a problem with the service, but the quality of food waned sometimes and the location was practically invisible.

rbwaa 4 years, 3 months ago

i want baskin-robbins back -- chocolate mandarin orange ice and daiquiri ice!!

gccs14r 4 years, 3 months ago

I figured Family Video fell victim to Netflix. I'm not surprised that Schlotsky's closed, not because the food was bad, but because their landlord was an *sshole and towed people's cars. I quit going after that story broke. I'm not surprised about Sheridan's, either. Summer doesn't last long enough to carry a frozen custard shop through the winter. Someone with a broader product line should do better in that location.

kjo_shorty 4 years, 3 months ago

Freddy's is horrible. The burgers are thin and charred to complete imperfection. The fries are shoestring thin and greasy as heck. I ate there once in Topeka, will never eat there again. Gross. On the other hand, I'm very disappointed that Backyard Burger is gone. LOVE their food and ate there frequently. Service and food was great... very hard to find these days!!! I will certainly miss my BYB.

BigPrune 4 years, 3 months ago

I wish Hardee's would come back to Lawrence. Today their burgers are WAY better than the cadaver flesh gray burgers they used to sell when they were in Lawrence at that spot.

macon47 4 years, 3 months ago

you cannot get better chili than steak and shake i never had any problem with service they seem a bit slow when they are busy but then i dont have to be treated like a prima donna.

Betty Bartholomew 4 years, 3 months ago

Honeychild: It's been at least two months. My hubby and I were going to go for a treat during lunch one day and found it closed up - we were so bummed! We like Culver's and DQ just fine, but they're a longer drive from work than Sheridan's was.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 3 months ago

freddie's custard isn't even half as good as sheridans but their burgers, chicago style hotdogs and shoestring cut frenchfries are really pretty good.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 3 months ago

WAIT!! sheridans is closed??!! what the hell? when did that happen??

rcb187 4 years, 3 months ago

And please, another Wal-mart anywhere in Lawrence? Hopefully that is sarcasm. However, we could use a good small grocery over here.

passionatelibra 4 years, 3 months ago

My family eats at Steak N Shake often and have never had horrible service. Now when we had a car and would go through the drive-thru it was never right!

rcb187 4 years, 3 months ago

I was so happy to see Schlotzky's gone when I drove by the other day! I apologize to anyone who enjoyed it, but I worked there for about 6 months and the food was among the worst I have ever tasted. I am not sure how we made seemingly simple things taste so awful (actually, I have a few ideas) but I always felt bad serving up those sandwiches and pizza. Anyhow, can we really be surprised that anything would go out of business when commercial expansion far outstrips job and residential growth in this town? I would hate to be a Lawrence business owner these days...

macon47 4 years, 3 months ago

byb was great, but no tofu bugers or 399 specials for the cheapos

hellsbasement 4 years, 3 months ago

steak and shake will be next...TERRIBLE service!

ChiHawkInKS 4 years, 3 months ago

We need another Wall-Mart on the East side!

Marty_McFly 4 years, 3 months ago

...and don't forget that the Quiznos at 6th & Wakarusa closed and Mr. Goodcents has opened where Schlotzky's was.

Family Video has moved to 23rd & Louisiana by Panera and On The Rocks Discount Liquor has moved into the Family Video building on Mass so there are two liquor stores side by side.

JayhawkAlum03 4 years, 3 months ago

I keep hoping Schlotzkey's is going to reappear somewhere. For the week after they closed, there was a note on the door indicating that they would reopen in a new location soon, but since there hasn't been any announcement, I'm losing hope!

Sad to see BYB gone. Super nice people.

heybluekc 4 years, 3 months ago

Freddys is terrible. Burgers are burnt and fries are the same as a canned shoestring potato. Gross

kubacker 4 years, 3 months ago

We definitely need another bank on Wakarusa. I mean where you gonna find a bank in this town?

bobberboy 4 years, 3 months ago

Scholtzsky's is always great. It was just too close to Panera's. Backyard Burger was good - too bad - too far off the main drag though.

EdenPrairie87 4 years, 3 months ago

As much as it is interesting to see what new businesses are coming to Lawrence and I know the LJWorld probably doesn't want to report on businesses that are closing but when a place like Scholtzsky's closes after 25+ years I expect some sort of article.

Also, Backyard Burger.