Archive for Friday, January 8, 2010

Attorney general wants to limit robo-calls

January 8, 2010

— Unwanted robo-calls would be banned under a measure proposed Friday by Attorney General Steve Six.

In unveiling his agenda for the legislative session that starts Monday, Six said he also will introduce bills to increase protections for elderly people and victims of sexual violence.

“The bills I will put forward this year reflect my priorities since I have been in office: preventing elder abuse, cracking down on sex predators and protecting Kansans’ privacy,” Six said.

Meanwhile, state Sen. Derek Schmidt, R-Independence, and state Rep. Virgil Peck, R-Tyro, announced that they will file legislation to add 30 months to the prison term of any person convicted of committing a felony while wearing body armor.

The lawmakers said their proposal was prompted by a bank robbery in Coffeyville last year in which the robber wore body armor and engaged in a shoot-out with police that killed a bystander.

“Taking time to strap on body armor in advance of committing a crime is clear proof that the offender was anticipating a fight. This bill is about standing up for law enforcement officers who put themselves on the line every day to keep our communities safe,” Schmidt said.

Schmidt and Six, a Democrat, are potential opponents in the November election. Both are seeking their parties’ nominations for the attorney general race.

Six’s robo-call bill would require that a person give consent to hearing a recorded message before the message could be played. There would be exceptions for notifications from work, schools, or agencies that contact crime victims about upcoming court dates.

“It is important that Kansans be protected from robo-calls that interrupt their dinner table conversation,” Six said. He said it was patterned after a law in Minnesota.

Six said he would also propose legislation to provide better protections for people giving their durable power of attorney to someone else. And, he said, he would seek to make it easier to enter testimony about past crimes in trials of sex predators.

Comments

Tristan Moody 5 years, 3 months ago

Now how do you enforce the robocall law? You can't ask a recording its name, and caller id can be spoofed, so then what?

BorderRat 5 years, 3 months ago

Will this also include the unwanted political calls every time we have an election?

rbwaa 5 years, 3 months ago

i also question how robocall violators will be prosecuted. however, i definitely want it to be illegal for lynn jenkins or any other politician to robocall me

Evan Ridenour 5 years, 3 months ago

You can spoof the caller id but you can't spoof the actual number used. The telecommunication companies would still know. Would probably be consumer complaint driven and the AG's office would decide whether to investigate and prosecute from there.

verity 5 years, 3 months ago

beo, that can be a problem in case of an emergency. I tried to call my nephew's home from work, but couldn't get through because my work number was not on their list. Really a hassle when time is of the essence.

Just sayin'

classclown 5 years, 3 months ago

How about robo calls from people snitching about unshoveled sidewalks?

Godot 5 years, 3 months ago

Six, here is the answer: ban telephones.

verity 5 years, 3 months ago

I pay for the use of my phone for my convenience and that of my friends and relatives. Period. End of story.

I am on the no-call list.

For a number of weeks I was getting a call from the same 877 number on my cell phone once or twice almost every day. Of course, this was using up time I pay for. At first I just didn't answer, but when it didn't stop, I decided to take care of it. When I answered, no one was there. I found a place online where you can report this, but then it stopped. Now I've lost that web address. Anybody have it?

somebodynew 5 years, 3 months ago

@veriity - I know the FTC takes those kind of complaints. Go to www.ftc.gov and check there. I do hope you are registered on the no-call list.

labmonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Pywacket. Robocalls are just wrong. You cannot tell them to take you off the list, a robocall cost someone a job who would have made that call 10 years ago, and there are too many loopholes in the no-call list that you cannot completely eliminate them.