Weather-related cancellations this week

January 7, 2010, 12:01 a.m. Updated January 7, 2010, 7:09 p.m.

Several events on Thursday, Friday and Saturday have been canceled because of the weather. Check back often for updates.

If you have a cancellation to report, please call us at 832-7154 or 832-6303.

Friday, Jan. 8

• Lawrence Arts Center preschool

• Children's Learning Center

• Stepping Stones Childcare Center

• Princeton Children’s Center

• Community Children's Head Start

• Open Arms Christian Daycare of McLouth

• Googols of Learning — Opening at 9 a.m.

• Prairie Moon Waldorf School

Meetings and other activities canceled

• State offices in Shawnee County on Friday will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., under an order from Gov. Mark Parkinson.

• Independence Inc. is closed

• Meals on Wheels canceled for Friday (drivers delivered extra meals on Wednesday).

• Douglas County Senior Services' senior meals and transportation services. The Douglas County Senior Center also will be closed on Friday.

• Lawrence Parks and Recreation instruction fitness programs for Friday morning have been canceled, but morning aquatic programs will be held.

• Eagles Lodge Bingo canceled.

• Americana Music Academy closed.

Saturday, Jan. 9

• Lawrence Youth Symphony rehearsal is canceled.

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

cath0830 4 years, 3 months ago

"what is wrong with you wimps? There is snow on the ground and yes it is cold in January! Canceling school because it is 'cold outside' is not teaching your little wimpy bag kids a thing!"

I think when you remember that some kids could be looking at a mile or more walk each way to school the -13 wind chills might be worth considering. Its one thing for an adult to go out and brave this unusually cold weather (it usually doesn't get like this in January here), its quite another to send a 6, 7 or 8 year old out on their way to school in this. I think the district may actually get this, and that's probably why classes were cancelled today. If my kids learn anything from this, its probaby the fact that some things just aren't worth injuring or killing yourself for.

cadillac 4 years, 3 months ago

If it's way to bad for school today, I guess we will not see anyone sleding in the parks or at KU today.

kidscount 4 years, 3 months ago

Sunny,

if you havent heard, The wind chill is going to be at dangerous temps! just being outside is going to be dangerous conditions!!! It was a VERY smart and EDUCATED decision to cancel school.

By the way, We may be raising our children to be wimps but at least they will have all their parts!!

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 3 months ago

Pywacket, I am an RN; I was trying to come up with something simple & when I thought of Popcorn (favorite snack) I realized I could try to be clever by capitalizing the RN part lol. But my real name is plain & nowhere near as fun as Polly P Connor, darn it.

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 3 months ago

So who is making you keep your child at Hilltop amrose? You could have changed daycares. Personally, I'd be happy that my daycare was still open if I still required those services.

sunny 4 years, 3 months ago

They will be the ones who call into work when they live a block away and think that is just fine.

You are all raising a bunch of whiney wimp bags!

amrose42683 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm wondering if it would really kill KU to close for one day. I do not work at KU anymore, and I'm not a student anymore; however, my child goes to Hilltop daycare and every possible way to get to that daycare on Irving Hill road involves a rather steep hill. Not all of us own all terrain 4-wheel drive vehicles that can make it up those hills without getting stuck or down them being able to stop. I, for one, don't mind so much attempting to drive in this weather if it were just me in the car, but I absolutely hate having to have my 4 year old in the car ... gods forbid something did happen. While, yes, the offices at KU are open for business as phones do ring and there's always work to be done but there are other things going on at KU that do not involve students and/or employees ... one thing involves our kids. I would have a safe assumption that one of the reasons they won't close Hilltop is so that mommy and/or daddy can go to work, as many of the kids there now are children of employees. While Hilltop attendance is not mandatory, my attendance at my place of work is and I can only be excused in these situations if I have to stay home with my daughter. So not only do I get to ski down the slopes of KU, I get to trudge back up them, spinning tires ablaze, to try and get to work. I'm aware the "main" roads are fine; however, it's my neighborhood and campus that I'm worried about ...

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

they would not be able to get in would be my guess.

Marty_McFly 4 years, 3 months ago

Since we're able to keep our kids at home if there's bad weather and school isn't cancelled why can't we take our kids to school when they are cancelled?

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

Such anger. I for one am fine with staying home with mine and guess what no social welfare involved. dude needs a pill or something.

marcirae18 4 years, 3 months ago

Perry-Lecompton cancelled school again for tomorrow...

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

good thing they did huh country girl, because I am able to provide you and your family with more social welfare

cntrygrl 4 years, 3 months ago

Dude -

It's really unfortunate that your parents didn't feel the way you do.

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

Mommies and daddies don't be mad with me that you have to now babysit you own runts for a few days. Remember, that my tax dollars provide you with an outlet most of the year... ( I know I know your "kids" are the future and we are paying for that...let me tell ya, the furture seems brighter when I think about the planet dying and not your snotbot leading the way)

"The best thing about kids is making them" -Rodney Dangerfield

Richard Payton 4 years, 3 months ago

The Kansas governer orders people to work! So funny my private sector job doesn't order me to work.

cntrygrl 4 years, 3 months ago

Reticent -

They do. They always schedule at least 2 make up days in the spring. The kids got those days off last year. Not this year! Ha!!!!!

cj123 4 years, 3 months ago

I would like to say thank you to all the tractor owners who pull out stuck motorists (including my husband) from the snow drifted rural roads, free of charge! We really appreciate it!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 3 months ago

Dammit, I pay good property taxes for 180 days of USD497 childcare, they better be making this up at the end of the year

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

Jonathan you made my day thanks. Not been that great so far.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

py my screen name is not becuz I have 2 kids have more than that and no don't have 2 moms.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 3 months ago

Heads up. Lawrence schools cancelled for Friday.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Nikki May 4 years, 3 months ago

That's one of my all time favorite websites.

Pywacket 4 years, 3 months ago

cait-48~ Love the genesis of your other (Irish demi-goddess) screen name. Now, that reflects some thought.

Punkrockmom~ Good analysis (names that maybe started on parenting board). I hope no one takes my comments on screen names too seriously, of course! I'm just curious.

For side-splitting (okay--often hilariously malicious!) commentary on real-life names, go here: http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

Those always crack me up. She writes such funny and withering comments. She should do a sister site on online names. We'd all get a thorough raking over the coals.

Weather-- Although it's cold, it is beautiful out there. I've been observing local (around my feeders) avian behavior. A hawk has been keeping a close eye on the to-do and actually swooped low over our deck awhile ago. Although I enjoy the birds we feed, I have to admit that it would be pretty cool to witness a hawk do its thing and snag one for lunch. I would hope it would be a starling or house sparrow (huge populations) rather than one of the less-common (and more interesting, IMO) species, but I wouldn't begrudge the hawk whatever it could get.

4 years, 3 months ago

What are the odds of Lawrence schools being closed for tomorrow (Friday)? I am concerned about the bitter cold.

Victor Dawson 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, as I mentioned before, the snow problem is not a local problem as much as a federal government problem. Why hasn't Obama done anything about the snow, sidewalks, KU employees getting the shaft, schools closed and parents having to work, snow drifts in front of my favorite liquor store!!! Come on Washington get it together!!!

Sorry folks, once again I couldn't resist!!! Be safe!!!

lily 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, it's the Provost. If you stay home you have to use personal time. No lack of things to do. Unfortunately, phones can still ring and business goes on.

been_there 4 years, 3 months ago

"We need a countdown ticker for shoveling time remaining." Now that would be hilarious, Maybe someone could do it on a blog. I bet a certain someone knows to the second how much time is left.

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 3 months ago

OldEnuf- I think it's the provost.

I had to stay home and use my vacation time 'cause there's no way I can get up the unplowed hill behind where I live, which is b.s. b/c as you point out every single other institution closed today! But if I had gone to work I'd have plenty to do so I think you should stop talking about KU employees "showing up for nothing."

TrooGrit 4 years, 3 months ago

Is it possible to get a chardonnay in here...anything sort of bubbly, would do. Also, the Kraft loaf is not very, um, dramatic. Could we get some Chanteu Royale? Could we possibly get more spoiled?

lily 4 years, 3 months ago

Unless KU policy has changed recently, they do NOT dock your pay. If you are in within that extra hour and if you leave no sooner than the early hour you are given a full day's pay. So, if your check was shorted you best be talking to your department. Mine has never been shorted and I've been here awhile.

Now, if you arrive after 9 and leave before 4, you bet you get docked.

thinkagain 4 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Kealing - Is it possible to get the additional/new updates added in green or red or bold or anything?

Boeing 4 years, 3 months ago

If the staff is showing up for nothing, it sounds to me like there is too much staff at Old KU...

My fiance is a KU employee who went to work today and is busy as heck - got there at about 6:45am and won't be home until at least 6pm or so.

Guess I have to cook dinner...bummer. Pizza it is.

Kampinqueen 4 years, 3 months ago

?Wow what can I say....this is the kind of weather I grew up with about 30 yrs ago....hmmm.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 3 months ago

Whose a$$ do I rip at KU about them being open?! Somehow they CAN close the Edwards Campus, but NOT the Main Campus! Haskell: closed. Baker: closed. KU: open, but no students (and therefore few faculty), but STAFF has to show up for NOTHING. Nothing but the frostbite my wife will get walking down Mt. Oread to the parking lot.

Does anyone know who makes that decision at KU?

Nikki May 4 years, 3 months ago

thebcman - you got the ntaspnkasu right. It was from the dark ages of dialup on AOL, I could only have 10 letters. I still use it on so many sites.

Py, thanks for not lumping me in with everyone, I guess. I do think the first time I used this screen name was on a parenting website. Maybe that's how others got their names, and they just stuck?

My work closed! I'm not going to whine about who is watching my kids. If I'd have thought about it, I would have let some of the parents know they could bring me their kids, but honestly, I live on the opposite side of town as work, so I'm not convenient for most anyway. AND, I got to sleep in. I haven't decided to shovel yet. We need a countdown ticker for shoveling time remaining.

number3of5 4 years, 3 months ago

This original comment was about Lawrence not closing school. I know nothing about Wednesday, but on the television news at six thirty, the scroll showed Lawrence district 497 as being closed on Thursday. For parents who work, they have had all year to work out a contingency plan for days when school has to be cancelled.

jaywalker 4 years, 3 months ago

Gotcha scriqui, usually deletioins are due to foul language, never considered mentioning a product. Please forgive my sarcasm.

hail2oldku 4 years, 3 months ago

Boo-hoo victoria. The policy allows you extra time to arrive or to leave early. It doesn't require that you do so. If that extra $12.50 is that important, get around and get to work on time.

I hate to say it folks, but the roads aren't that bad if you don't drive like an idiot. I did have to spend an hour and a half shoveling the drift out of my drive and off the walk this morning, but it really wasn't that bad outside except for when the wind picked up. They could have easily had school today.

You are right sunny, now someone will bitc# about not having someone to watch their kids or the fact that they are going to have to take a day off to stay home with them.

sunny 4 years, 3 months ago

Big bunch of cry babies! Will you now complain 'who is going to watch my kids, I have to go to work'?

Geez

Victoria Partridge 4 years, 3 months ago

What the hell, KU?! Just close campus already. Seriously.

p.s. When KU implements their Inclement Weather Policy, employees do NOT get paid for that hour that they open later/close early. So, they are shorted on their paychecks if they are not salaried. Thanks, KU.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 3 months ago

Wow. What a concept Pywacket. It's interesting to think about why we choose screen names and what they reflect of us. The only other screen name I use besides this one is the name of an Irish warrior demi-goddess who went to war with King Conchobar of Ulster (and smeared him and his Red Knights) when he raped her daughter. I guess there's a bit of a "mama" there in a strange, twisted way.

Pywacket 4 years, 3 months ago

KansasPerson~ That's EXACTLY how I pictured you! ;-)

Punkrockmom~ Somehow, you don't seem like the rest--the "punk rock" part balances out the "mom." Maybe it's the "mommy" and "momma" characterizations that seem a little cloying and codependent with the offspring. Not to mention the shrill bleatings of some of them. (They know who they are... Apologies to the others--I'm just idly speculating.)

PopcoRN~ I find your name intriguing! Whenever I see it I wonder if you are an RN. Maybe your name is Polly P Connors, RN. Now, that would be cool!

starkm 4 years, 3 months ago

bromidrosis (Anonymous) says…

Man would the good Christians up in Iowa and Ohio laugh at you people. Can't make church because of this little peep of snow? My Lord God Jesus expects me to be at the church rain or shine, snow or no snow. I think some of you are just plain lazy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amen and very well put GardenMomma!!!! I'm a "good" Kansas Christian who made the trip to church on Christmas Eve and spent time with friends and family despite the blizzard warning. However, in retrospect, I should have used more of the common sense and prudence the good Lord endowed me with to make a decision to just stay home or go straight home after church rather than be out in substantial snow or blizzard conditions. People who choose not to go to church for weather-related reasons should NOT be guilt-tripped by the "holier than thou"-crowd. Doing so is insensitive and unnecessary and does absolutely NOTHING to grow the kingdom of God and frankly makes the rest of "good" Christians look even worse than we are many times perceived by others. If I had had a church-related activity to attend this evening, I expect that it would have been cancelled and/or I would have made a PRUDENT decision to stay home and that my friends is NOT lazy by any means!!!!!! It's SMART!

Scott Criqui 4 years, 3 months ago

jaywalker - Thanks! I consider it a personal triumph. :) One can get a post deleted if it appears to be endorsing or soliciting a certain service or product. I apparently did not read the condition and terms carefully enough.

thebcman 4 years, 3 months ago

ntaspnkasu = Not As Punk As You

jaywalker 4 years, 3 months ago

How in the world does someone post a comment that gets deleted on THIS string? Congrats to scriqui.

scottpewenofkit 4 years, 3 months ago

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 3 months ago

Pywacket, I have wondered about that phenomenon myself. Maybe I should change my screen name to momsisterdaughterauntcousinnieceandexwife! Lol.

Nikki May 4 years, 3 months ago

Py, mine is from a song I like. I use some other screen names around the web: ntaspnkasu, ikkin, xpunkrockmomx, are the main ones. So, technically 2 of 4 are mom related. Why? I don't know, it just fit at the time. But I'm interested if people even know what my first one says.

By the way, my work is listed in the cancellations. Woohoo!!! I was so planning on leaving for work early, now I'm curling up under my blankets instead!!

KansasPerson 4 years, 3 months ago

Py, now I'm wondering if I'm defining myself by a big rectangular geographical area. :)

0426Roses 4 years, 3 months ago

Better get the roads plowed for everyone that needs to take their kids to Target and Southwind 12 tomorrow. Noon is about the time everyone went stir crazy the day after Christmas, right? You're on the clock, plow people!!!

Scott Criqui 4 years, 3 months ago

Pywacket 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, KansasMom, Eudora and Baldwin did both have school today! And no one died! And what is your point?! (And why the over excitement?)

Baldwin announced hours ago that they will be closed Thursday, so they can be added to the list.

From the BC Signal: "3:51 p.m.---The Baldwin School District just informed people with children in school that there will be no school Thursday because of the weather conditions."

There are a lot of hysterical moms, mommies, and mommas out there...(and a few who are not hysterical)

Wonder if they'd calm down a little if they called themselves Myrna or Batcraze or Gyrogirl? Do we give ourselves names that reflect something notable about us, or do we change to inhabit the names we give ourselves?

Off track, but I've long been curious about those who (in their posting names) define themselves in relation to someone else (their kids). I wonder whether they considered themselves to be a valid personality before becoming a mommy. Or maybe they did, but just gave up the ghost and redefined themselves after popping out a few kids. Or maybe I'm trying to read too much into this! But I see very few men defining themselves as "daddy." What does that say? Not trying to start a fight--I just think it's an interesting sociological phenomenon. Strictly unscientific at this point, although if anyone wants to write me a grant to research this, I'd be happy to do so.

As for me, I dearly love my kids, but don't see them as defining my onscreen persona.

workinghard 4 years, 3 months ago

Now do the homeschool kids get a snow day or is it business as usual?

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 3 months ago

Julz---

Here's what the state says right now:

UPDATE - Governor Mark Parkinson has declared Inclement Weather from 3:00 PM Wednesday, 01/06/2010 through 9:30 AM Thursday, 01/07/2010 for benefits eligible non-essential State of Kansas Executive Branch employees, who work in Shawnee County. If inclement Weather is declared beyond 9:30AM Thursday, 01/07/2010, another message will be posted and media will be alerted. Listen to local radio and television for additional information.

Thanks, Jonathan

julz 4 years, 3 months ago

WHERE IN THE WORLD DID YOU GET THE INFORMATION THAT THE STATE REOPENS AT 9:30 THURSDAY?

Here is what the state site says (no mention of Thursday at all):

Due to the winter conditions, the Governor’s Office has declared Inclement Weather starting at 3:00 pm through 11:59 PM Wednesday, 01/06/2010 for benefits eligible non-essential State of Kansas Executive Branch employees, who work in Shawnee County. As a result, all State of Kansas offices in Shawnee County will officially close at 3:00 pm this afternoon. Inclement Weather has been called.

sherlock 4 years, 3 months ago

there is NO school tomorrow (thursday) for dist 497, its on channel 6.

Brent Garner 4 years, 3 months ago

OK. I am officially taking back the sarcastic remark I made yesterday regarding whether Dr. Doll would close Lawrence Schools on Thursday. I see from the District website and the JW that he has already pulled the trigger on that one and schools will be closed Thursday. Though I am no fan of the district's leadership I do applaud and support this decision which I hope was driven by purdence and common sense.

hilary 4 years, 3 months ago

LAWRENCE SCHOOLS CANCELED THURSDAY

Let us move on, shall we?

To Sides 4 years, 3 months ago

In the past USD 497 has said if for any reason a parent or guardian feels it is unsafe for a child to attend school the parent/guardian has the choice of not sending their child to school and it is an excused absence. regarding neighboring districts, neighboring school districts have a lot of rural roads the busses must travel. More than USD 497. FYI for those having always driven on paved roads in town, the country roads are a lot slicker. If you don't think it is safe for your child to attend school, make the decision yourself, don't wait for the district to make your decision for you.

To Sides 4 years, 3 months ago

In the past USD 497 has said if for anyreason a parent or guardian feels it is unsafe for a child to attend school the parent/guardian has the choice of not sending their child to school and it is an excused absence. Neighboring school districts have a lot of rural roads the busses must travel. More than USD 497. FYI for those having always driven on paved roads in town, the country roads are a lot slicker. If you don't think it is safe for your child to attend school, make the decision yourself, don't wait for the district to make your decision for you.

ifuonlyknew 4 years, 3 months ago

i spoke to soon...they just added USD 497.

ifuonlyknew 4 years, 3 months ago

All the schools but Lawrence...Go figure, hopefully they plan to be out all night cleaning up streets so the buses can run.

Staci Dark Simpson 4 years, 3 months ago

Cancellations-everything closed except Lawrence schools. If you are a student anywhere but Lawrence, sleep in. Saw lots of kids walking today. Saw probably a 6 and 8 year old walking to New York school several blocks away. Maybe that was OK today but tomorrow those wind chills are too much. You say keep your kids at home? That would be great if you didn't have a little thing called....A JOB. Why does Lawrence never call school? Is the superintendent from Antarctica?

budwhysir 4 years, 3 months ago

Due to the bad weather, my sidewalk is currently closed. We will post an opening date as soon as the snow stops and I am able to get my shovel started. Should the city close public transit systems you can walk in the street while passing thru my neighborhood. While I am sorry for this problem, I have no choice but to look after the safety of the pedestrians passing thru my neighborhood. Simply put, if you dont want to fall down on my sidewalk, dont walk on it while it is icy

walkthehawk 4 years, 3 months ago

"KU-Lawrence Weather alert: Inclement weather policy in effect

The University of Kansas' inclement weather policy in effect as of 4 p.m. today. This means employees at work on the Lawrence campus now may depart immediately; however the Lawrence campus remains open. Overnight shift employees whose work shift begins after 4 p.m. have one extra hour to report to work. The KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park closed at 3 p.m. Updates will be posted at www.alert.ku.edu

Tonight's KU-Cornell men's basketball game at Allen Fieldhouse will be played as scheduled."

cath0830 4 years, 3 months ago

rando I was thinking the same.

I know this morning at Schwegler there were kids outside the door waiting for the school to open at 820. Can't imagine what it will be like tomorrow for them with the windchill.

thinkagain 4 years, 3 months ago

Is it possible to put the NEW cancellation posting/updates in red or something?

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad Meals on Wheels delivered extra meals. Way to go!

GardenMomma 4 years, 3 months ago

bromidrosis (Anonymous) says…

...My Lord God Jesus expects me to be at the church rain or shine, snow or no snow....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really? My Lord God Jesus understands that real faith needs no church or building to be expressed.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 3 months ago

KRICHARDS SORRY BUT TOPEKA SCHOOLS HAVE BEEN CLOSED ALL WEEK THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T SEE THEM THIS IS NOT A BAD SNOW IV'E BEEN OUT PLAYING IN IT. BUT TOMOROW WITH -30 WIND CHILLS IF THEY DON'T CANCELL I WILL HOPE THAT ALL THE PRINCIPIALS ARE STANDING OUTSIDE WAITING ON ALL THE STUDENTS TO GET TO SCHOOL....YEA THAT WON'T HAPPEN.

bromidrosis 4 years, 3 months ago

Sherry Warren 4 years, 3 months ago

Hey LJWorld staff, Could you move Lawrence Free Methodist Church from the "Meetings and Other Activities" section to the "Churches" Section? That's where people are going to look for it. Thank you! And YAY to Meals on Wheels. Those volunteers work hard, as does their very limited staff.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

high school not out early today. I can tell you that even mine was out at 1:30 that did not help don't know about anyone else but it sucked at my girls school.

4 years, 3 months ago

Thank you Meals on Wheels for planning EARLY and delivering extra meals on Wednesday. clap clap That's great.

Keith Richards 4 years, 3 months ago

hail2-With all the whiners on here today, figuring out what is sarcasm is a pretty difficult job.

javelin 4 years, 3 months ago

Isn't it early release day? Weren't kids out at 1:30 anyway?

hail2oldku 4 years, 3 months ago

Sorry ksmom and KRichards - dripping sarcasm doesn't always come through in the printed format.

marcirae18 4 years, 3 months ago

Perry-Lecompton schools were dismissed at 2:00...roads are getting very bad up this way!!!

Keith Richards 4 years, 3 months ago

Topeka, Olathe, Lawrence, Baldwin and Eudora did not cancel school. Most schools that canceled were in KC, MO where they have not had school ALL WEEK!

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

well home safe and sound, even if tonights activities for us are not canceled don't think I will take her sorry baby.

kansasmom 4 years, 3 months ago

Eudora and Baldwin both had schools today!

hail2oldku 4 years, 3 months ago

countrygirl (Anonymous) says… Schools north of here are sending kids home early. At least they get to count today as a full day attended though. Less to have to make up.

That's not possible. Lawrence was the only school district stupid enough to have classes today.

crimsonlaugh 4 years, 3 months ago

whiteam (Anonymous) says… .... be responsible for yourself.

Exactly.

Also, even if the roads are a little slick from a little bit of snow, just drive slowly and with caution! It's not that hard guys!

countrygirl 4 years, 3 months ago

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

yes yes we should cancel school till the spring thaw works for me:) ps baby jesus still buried.

Take_a_letter_Maria 4 years, 3 months ago

The Farmer's Almanac indicates that we are in for even more snow the first half of February. Should we call off school now as a pre-emptive measure GreekGirl?

alm77 4 years, 3 months ago

Greek, why'd you take your kid to school today? The school is not in charge of your child. You are.

GreekGirl 4 years, 3 months ago

Just wanted to give a big SARCASTIC thanks to the Superintendent...shouldn't matter if the roads this AM were OK...they definitely aren't NOW! So our children are riding on slick roads in busses. The school my child goes to has snow drifts so high by the street it's difficult for them to get in and out of private vehicles as well! Ridiculous!

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

can't bring them in they at school was so hopeing it would wait till they where out.

hilary 4 years, 3 months ago

Mom_of_Three,

You are the winner of the smartest comment on this thread. DITTO!!

fleeba 4 years, 3 months ago

oh no! It's snowing now.. what shall we do? Bar the doors! Bring in the children!

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

I know for a fact that no matter the weather I hate laundry. I need a vacation.

hellsbasement 4 years, 3 months ago

I know for a fact that more goes into the decision than "driving down a few sidestreets". much more. i also know Rick Doll does not sit around eating donuts.

StirrrThePot 4 years, 3 months ago

Did I miss something? There's not even a flake of snow on the ground yet, it is just cold. Big whoop. I think it is a waste to cancel school before anything happens. Seriously, don't the Lawrence Public Schools get plenty of needless days off as it is?

I say they should monitor the snowfall today as soon as it starts, and make the decision about tonight's activities and tomorrow by the end of the workday today. Cancelling today due to the cold when schools have been in session since Monday would be a waste.

justtired 4 years, 3 months ago

Why don't you wait until the snow starts to fall? I know it is cold and the parents decision, but I think we should see if it starts to get bad.

Raymond Munoz 4 years, 3 months ago

The Douglas County Dental Clinic will be closing at 3pm today because of the weather. Stay safe folks!

mom_of_three 4 years, 3 months ago

I remember last year or before, Lawrence closed school based on a bad weather prediction and guess what - nothing happened.
If the weather comes, tomorrow is supposed to be worse than today. I would rather the kids stay home tomorrow if windchills hit what is expected, with the blowing snow.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

well still no cancelation for night activities not going to be fun drivimg across town in game day traffic and snow.

Ken Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Jonathan:

You might want to have the editors include the Lansing school district (469) in your listed closures, which would fit with the Basehor-Linwood and Tongy info. I know the Lansing Current no longer does a print edition, but they are still online - thanks to John Taylor and his crew.

mommydaycare 4 years, 3 months ago

I was not posting multiple times, people are entiled to their opinion!! Like I said I work outside the home and was trying to point out that everyone should pull together in times like this!!!!

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 3 months ago

Parrysmom--

I've been pondering including Bonner Springs. Leavenworth is definitely further afield than we'll typically go. Is there anyone out there that would look to us for Bonner Springs closures, if we included them?

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

yes I did, it is funny thanks for making me laugh at myself. today not one of my better days. We know I have so few of those:)

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

Gotta check my frig to see if I have enough cheese to go with this whine.

redmoonrising 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm still trying to figure out "your kid is aloud only so many excused days." Does this mean that they have to keep quiet on the others? Sorry, but it just struck me as funny, am guessing the writer meant allowed. I'm fortunate not to have children in school but not matter what, they were my responsibility and I had to make the decisions for my own children, not try to blame everyone else if it wasn't convenient for me. I was the one who chose to have them, not the school district.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

Hey just thought of this there is a bb game 2nite that should be fun for everyone driving.

hellsbasement 4 years, 3 months ago

my point was that there is no actual "weather" happening that would result in closing school. the PROBLEM is that not all sidewalks are clear and crossing many intersections is impossible. THAT is a result of our elected finest.My guess is they are waiting for a paid study to tell them how to dispose of all the snow.

Angela Heili 4 years, 3 months ago

Thank you Jonathan. I noticed Bonner Springs and Leavenworth school districts are out and didn't realize those weren't within the range. I appreciate the clarification. Be safe and stay warm!!

cath0830 4 years, 3 months ago

My issue isnt the snow, its the cold. 1-3 inches is nothing.

The town made a concious decision to cancel all bus service, to include that for poor families with no form of transportation of their own who now have children whose only option is to walk to school. With windchills of 25-30 below, they need to make considerations for this as it is NOT safe for a kid to be walking in.

Get off your high horse about "planning for this" as well. You've obviously never worked a job where there is no option to show up late (or can leave after showing up for shift at 530 am to take your kid in), no matter how much you beg, and can't risk getting fired because your kid needs to eat. Also, when all your friends fall in the same socio-economic group (as tends to happen) do you ask the other mom that your friends with without a car to drive your kids in?

Uhjh 4 years, 3 months ago

Here is the official definition of a winter storm warning (which Douglas County is under). Since the school district will no act responsibly and is just taking a chance it won’t be bad until later, parents need to decide for themselves to have their children stay home. So if it turns out ok the naysayers will have a hay day but if it doesn’t they will just shut up. Is this a gamble the school district should take is the real question.

Winter storm warning -- A significant winter storm or hazardous winter weather is occurring, imminent, or likely, and is a threat to life and property.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

Here's the deal your kid is aloud only so many excused days after that you must have a docs note for any more to be excused so on those days the weather makes you keep them home is unexcused. The fact that they are calling for the snow to start when school is getting close to getting out and I have heard it is supposed to be hard at time, and we know the plows are not going to be able to keep up it is putting kids at risk not all kids can get picked up early some ride the bus some walk so maybe the school district should have thought about that. It is ok to say hey the roads are fine the temp. is warmer than it has been in days but you know all these kids have to get home and it does not look like it is going to be all that safe then so lets think ahead.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 3 months ago

Parrysmom--

We don't cover all the cancellations that KC-area news outlets cover. We basically cover school districts in Douglas County, the southern 2/3rd of Jefferson and Leavenworth County, the far eastern areas of Shawnee County and the far western reaches of Johnson County. A lot of those other school districts that are closed are in Missouri. We'll always have the school districts in our area that are closed, up as soon as possible.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

red_devil 4 years, 3 months ago

Biggunz- Most people post on here every time it snows. They complain about schools not being closed, get all dramatic and say kids could die. They are not able to make competant decisions so they wait for someone else to make decisions for them and then complain. No wonder government is taking over the country.

biggunz 4 years, 3 months ago

What's wrong with you people? If I felt my kids shouldn't go to school due to the weather, I would have them stay home. It's that simple. Why get so worked up about it you feel the need to post comments? It's not that hard, make a decision, it's not going to be the end of the world either way.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

yeah bash people with mini vans that makes sense. Maybe you should ask the people with the mini van to give your kids a ride heck maybe someone without a van could give them a ride just ask.

red_devil 4 years, 3 months ago

Gotta love LJW forums...where people complain night and day. Some even post multiple times to get their fix.

mommydaycare 4 years, 3 months ago

Like i said earlier,not everyone is a minivan mom that can stay at home, There are children that walk to and from school! then there are the rude minivan moms that dont even offer rides, have a heart and help people out!!!!!

shawn1040 4 years, 3 months ago

You gotta love Larryville! I guess the other 181 schools that canceled are wrong.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

Well hilary that does not sound like fun, not being mean but glad I do not have to drive that way today when they all get out, I have highschool age neice.

justforfun 4 years, 3 months ago

Whiteam

Thank you for the logic! I hope many read it and learn from it!!

hilary 4 years, 3 months ago

It's not a short day for the high schools, so those kids are in class until 3:05. They're now saying snow should start falling between 12 and 1.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

sorry not enough coffee yet but you guys are smart enough to get what I mean bad spelling and all.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

well mine is going I am hoping the snow holds off till after 130 night activities noy so sure on, at this time they have not been canceld.

whiteam 4 years, 3 months ago

If walking if your main form of transportation to and from school, it is completely irresponsible and unbelievable that you would not have a back-up plan for when the weather is not cooperative. This is Kansas. You can't expect the weather to be perfect every single day of the school year. A good backup plan is not the expectation that school will be cancelled. A good backup plan would involve neighbors going the same direction, school friends who will give you a ride, relatives who can help out, having a pre-arranged agreement with your boss that you will be 30 minutes late on bad weather days, etc.

School gets out early today, chances are the snow will just be starting then. We've known this was coming for several days - plan ahead, make arrangements, get up early, be responsible for yourself.

conservative 4 years, 3 months ago

It is only unexcused if you don't call. If you choose to commute 30 plus miles that is your choice not something the school district should consider when deciding if Lawrence schools should remain open.

Megg 4 years, 3 months ago

The superintendents/principals/bus directors all get together, eat doughnuts, and occasionally drive a side street to see if the roads are too bad for safe travel. These advance warnings do not move them in the slightest.
I'm still up in the air about keeping my kids home for the heck of it.

Angela Heili 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm surprised they haven't updated the list this morning. Most schools make a call by 6:00 in the morning. I saw on the Twitter blogs there were more schools that are not having class today but LJWorld hasn't added them on an updated list as of 6:32 this morning.

Nikki May 4 years, 3 months ago

The city council doesn't close the schools.

hellsbasement 4 years, 3 months ago

it is not the storm itself that has this city in turmoil. the problem is the way in which the city leaders responded. you think Chestnut or Amyx give a flip if the sidewalks are still buried?

mommydaycare 4 years, 3 months ago

There are 174 schools closed thus far, for the safety of the children!!!! What is wrong with Lawrence????? Not every parent has the luxury of staying home, some kids do walk. This is very sad, but nothing new. Maybe we could have had a shorter Christmas break for the kids!! This is just wrong!!!!!

Randall Barnes 4 years, 3 months ago

WHO CARES IF YOU MISS A COUPLE DAYS OF SCHOOL DUE TO THE WEATHER I KNOW I DID,MR LASMAN MY PRINT SHOP TEACHER STILL GOT AN A+ SO WHATS THE BIG DEAL ???? TAKE THE XBOX AND PS3 FOR A COUPLE NIGHTS TO DO THE HOMEWORK.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 3 months ago

"but damn they'll ding your kids' attendance record if you do."

The attendance record is very important. I have been out of school for 30 years and just yesterday my employer asked to see my Public School attendance record. NOT!

Christine Anderson 4 years, 3 months ago

Ah, better have your kiddos out there, no matter what, or the school (at least P.P.) will make it an unexcused absence. (sarcasm intentional) District policy states parents have the right to make this kind of an executive decision, but damn they'll ding your kids' attendance record if you do.

GreekGirl 4 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence won't close schools on Wednesday. They are thinking it's a short day anyways. Do they ever think about the employees that live in Topeka and Kansas City areas? I think not!

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 3 months ago

My kids have 1.7 miles; I gave them a ride since it was so cold. I hadn't thought about making them walk; maybe, tomorrow morning.

angeleyes4u2 4 years, 3 months ago

yes, Im thinking of keeping my boys home they have to walk 2 miles to school , it is too cold for them to keep that up. i have one already sicky feeling from walking today to school. but will make my diciding vote in morning i suppose. so far looks like bundle up lawrence.

Ricci Moyer 4 years, 3 months ago

what about the lawrence schools????