Archive for Thursday, January 7, 2010

Conflict over slavery is focus of upcoming series at Constitution Hall in Lecompton

January 7, 2010

Constitution Hall in Lecompton is sponsoring a lecture and dramatic interpretation series on “Bleeding Kansas 2010.”

The series will examine the conflict over slavery in the Kansas Territory and along the Missouri border between 1854 and 1861. Admission is free, and all events begin at 2 p.m. at the Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 319 Elmore St., in Lecompton.

Here’s the schedule:

• Jan. 31: “We, the people of Kansas ... The Wyandotte Constitution and the Birth of the 34th Star.”

• Feb. 7: “Asa Reynard, My Family’s Original Jayhawk.”

• Feb. 14: “Contested Ground: The African American Experience in Territorial Kansas.”

• Feb. 21: “Jayhawkers: The Civil War Brigade of James H. Lane.”

• Feb. 28: “Between Two Fires: Cass County Families, Chaos and Order No. 11.”

For more information, visit www.lecomptonkansas.com, or call Tim Rues at 785-887-6520.

Comments

yankeevet 4 years, 11 months ago

Why rehash all this crap...............

orbiter 4 years, 11 months ago

I agree with yankeevet. History is, like, so lame. You know? Gawd! omg. omg. HISTORY!!?!! gag me!

Mike Ford 4 years, 11 months ago

the two of you's lack of historical knowledge concerning this state and country is indicitive of the perspective and intelligence of this country or lack thereof.

yankeevet 4 years, 11 months ago

I know the history tusch; i just get tired of hearing this all the time about slavery; its over; let a dead horse die. I know this country and states history; as i was a reenactor in a movie called Ride With the Devil.............and I majored in history in college.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

Tobey Maguire was in that movie. I have heard that it didn't do well because one of the characters was a black who rode with Quantrill. This did happen so I can't understand why people were so upset about it. You can buy the directors cut in May. I have saw it and it is not a bad movie.

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

Well yankeevet you should know Lecompton's Constitution Hall has received visitors from all 50 states and 30 foreign countries. But then, you don't care so why should anyone else...

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

George Santayana (16 December 1863 in Madrid, Spain)