Archive for Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Winter storm warning issued for Douglas County and surrounding areas beginning 6 a.m. Wednesday

Winter storm warning also covers Jefferson, Leavenworth, Wyandotte, Johnson counties; Winter weather advisory covers Shawnee, Franklin counties

The Lawrence Fire Department assisted the Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department in setting up an ice skating rink in Buford M. Watson Jr. Park Tuesday afternoon.

January 5, 2010, 2:32 p.m. Updated January 5, 2010, 9:49 p.m.

Jeff Holland, a engineer with the Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical, and other firefighters help the Lawrence Parks and Recreation department fill a low area of Burford M. Watson Park with water Tuesday Jan. 5 to allow for ice skating. With temperatures in the teens and projected to fall below zero by the weekend, there will be several perfect days for outdoor ice skating.

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

9:47 p.m.

The snow is coming, but exactly how much is still yet to be seen. 6News Meteorologist Matt Elwell estimated the area could get as much as five inches of snow Wednesday, slightly more than originally projected.

5:48 p.m.

The City of Lawrence will begin round-the-clock operations at 4 a.m. Wednesday, the city announced Tuesday afternoon.

The city has spent the past 24 hours restocking supplies of salt and sand and is expecting another 1,000 tons of salt to be delivered on Wednesday.

The city will begin treating roads with salt and sand at 4 a.m., and then continuing treating until snow accumulation reaches 3 inches.

The city urges all residents to move cars off city streets and warns that as the storm progresses, some residential streets may become impassable. The city focuses first on arterial and collector streets before moving onto residential areas.

4:21 p.m.

The area is in for another wave of snowfall beginning Wednesday morning, but the wind and conditions that will follow on Thursday might be worse, said 6News Meteorologist Matt Elwell.

“People are going to hate Thursday more than Wednesday,” said Elwell.

A Winter Storm Warning is in effect from 6 a.m. Wednesday until 6 p.m. Thursday for Douglas County and most of northeastern Kansas, with Elwell expecting 2 to 4 inches of snow in Lawrence. Elwell said snowfall will begin during the day on Wednesday and probably will wrap up by Wednesday evening.

But he said to expect strong winds, with gusts up to 40 mph on Thursday, which will cause wind-chill temperatures of 15 to 30 degrees below zero. Elwell said the wind could cause significant snow drifts, and he warned against “near whiteout conditions” on Thursday.

“It’s going to turn bad really quickly,” he said.

The extreme cold weather will continue Friday and Saturday, with lows below zero. There’s a bit of good news on Sunday, when highs are predicted in the low 20s.

— Shaun Hittle

2:45 p.m.

The National Weather Service in Kansas City has expanded the Winter Storm Warning to include the Kansas City metro area, including Wyandotte, Leavenworth and Johnson counties.

2:31 p.m.

The National Weather Service in Topeka has issued a Winter Storm Warning for Douglas County — as well as Jefferson County — beginning at 6 a.m. Wednesday and running through 6 p.m. Thursday.

A winter storm watch is in effect for Leavenworth, Wyandotte and Johnson counties, while a winter weather advisory covers Shawnee and Franklin counties.

According to the National Weather Service, Lawrence and Douglas County are in an area that can expect 4 to 5 inches of snow with locally higher amounts. Winds of 20 to 25 mph, with gusts to 35 mph, will lead to blowing snow Wednesday night and all day Thursday.

Wind chills between -15 and -25 degrees are expected Thursday morning, with -20 to -30 degree wind chills on Friday morning.

Stay with LJWorld.com for the latest winter weather information.

Comments

cntrygrl 5 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Pink,

Why is that you think we won't getting any more snow? I mean, I truly hope that you're right, but do you have insider information that we're not privy to? Please share.

aha 5 years, 3 months ago

Arrrgggh!! I'm already so tired of the snow/cold!!

Any hope for an early Spring?

budwhysir 5 years, 3 months ago

Better get out your shovels. If it is to bad for the bus to run and they do as good of job plowing the streets as last time, we will be walking everywhere and everybody will have a ticket in the mail by Wednesday night.

Daniel Kennamore 5 years, 3 months ago

I live in the jayhawk towers and they haven't even cleared off the hill into the parking lot from the FIRST snowstorm yet. They've done nothing what-so-ever to our the parking lot...yet I noticed they had all the lots they used for paid parking for the bball game cleared before the game last week.

bkreed1960 5 years, 3 months ago

Ok, this has been going on for about 2 weeks now. I don't even remember what the ground looks like anymore or is the snow a permanent condition? I like snow, really I do, but at this point, are we getting more than Colorado, Minnesota, or Alaska?

kufan8808 5 years, 3 months ago

If we keep getting snow like this every couple of days without any melting we might all be burried alive!

And those temps do not sound fun at all... What about the kids walking and waiting for the bus. How cold do temps have to be to cancel school?

puddleglum 5 years, 3 months ago

redmorgan.

I'm eating some as we speak!

I don't care for all the pretty snowfall...but I sure love all the miserable wind blowing at 40mph! and white-out conditions! yeah!

Christine Anderson 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm to blame, everyone. I remarked aloud about a month ago that I was sick of wimpy winters, and that I missed Wi. Oops. Multi, I'm gonna need a place to hide out.

And yes, the temps and windchills do merit warning status, but 2-4 inches? Come on, that doesn't impress.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 3 months ago

I am crazy, I admit that freely. My mother and I were crazy in Jan. of '82, when we went to Milwaukee for an audition I had worked hard to get. Mom would have been well within her rights to say no way. We went anyway. The windchill blowing off Lake Michigan was 80 below. Ate at a restaurant where the pipes were freezing over. My oatmeal lifted out of the bowl in one piece, it was so damn cold.

Brent Garner 5 years, 3 months ago

Anyone want to start a poll of whether or not Mr. Doll, the school superintendent, will have the good sense to cancel school at least on Thursday?

I'll start. Sadly I predict he won't. So 1 vote for no. Who's next?

Kelly Johnson 5 years, 3 months ago

Cancelled or not, if the conditions are what they are predicting, my kids will be home.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

Yea Marion, slap a couple of your hoarded N-95s on that genset to keep the snow out of the filters. We so believe everything you share. Not.

TheGreatOz 5 years, 3 months ago

I knew i should have bought a shovel when I was at Wal-Mart today. Unfortunately, I can't rely on the kindness of strangers. :-)

Steve Jacob 5 years, 3 months ago

I am betting no school Thursday and Friday.

budwhysir 5 years, 3 months ago

could this all be tied to Mangino leaving? I would hope that no one buys a shovel cause I plan on renting mine out. I have a fine to pay for not having my sidewalk cleaned off enough to meet the code. Now that all is said and done, I plan on making money from renting my shovel out to pay for the fine caused by my inability to clean my sidewalk completely of the 3" thick ice spots

waswade 5 years, 3 months ago

I am sure school will still be in session and everyone will freak out about the trip home tomorrow evening.

Kelly Johnson 5 years, 3 months ago

The 5:48 update says they will begin treating the roads at 4am and continue until the accumulation reaches 3 inches...does that mean they stop altogether at that point? Kinda seemed like they did last time lol

budwhysir 5 years, 3 months ago

treat roads to a 3" accumulation then find reasons not to plow that is the regulations set forth in the Lawrence laws are written. Just as, when bus routes are canceled, all sidewalks must be cleared of ice

TheGreatOz 5 years, 3 months ago

Someone needs to check the sidewalks on campus because they sure didn't clean them off at all. Nor did they clean the roads. I need a snowmobile or a pair of skis to get around.

supernik 5 years, 3 months ago

okay i dont get it! cant you just fight the ticket for the snowy sidewalk since they dont clear the snow off of the roads... i wait for the ticket! its not my fault that the hippies choose to ride the bus or walk...

budwhysir 5 years, 3 months ago

I have friends in LOW places, doesnt help much when fighting a ticket.

mr_right_wing 5 years, 3 months ago

I beg of you Mr. Gore...please...bring us that global warming!! ... ... ... ... ... Fine. Curse you AND your private jets!!

budwhysir 5 years, 3 months ago

global warming causes ice on sidewalks

West_Sider 5 years, 3 months ago

Lots of O/P'ers trying to bail out of their tickets to Wednesday's Cornell game....