Archive for Monday, January 4, 2010

25 years ago: Sales tax increase sought

January 4, 2010

Gov. John Carlin was due to recommend that the 1986 Legislature increase the state’s 3 percent sales tax to 3.5 percent as he sought to raise $86 million for teacher, state employee and university faculty salaries, farmers, hazardous waste cleanup and rain-day protection.

Comments

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 3 months ago

Bob,

We know that the Kansas sales tax rate ballooned by 76.67% from 1986 to 2010. I'd be very interested to learn more about your claim that income, corporate and estate tax rates were lower in 1986. Can you provide a link?

Andy why are you so supportive of giving more of your and my money to Topeka?

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 3 months ago

My, how government grows?

Indeed - despite taxes being lower today than they were in 1986.

Government grows because the state grows.

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 3 months ago

And Bob, what is your point? Seriously, what are you getting at by asking six rhetorical questions?

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 3 months ago

And what about property taxes, STRS?

Also, as I recall you are a major opponent of any attempt to roll back sales tax exemptions.

How many more exemptions are there now than in 1986?

What about income tax? What about the corporate income tax? What about the estate tax? What about the property tax on business machinery and equipment?

As usual, your "analysis" is really just a talking point potshot that lacks depth or understanding. But please, go on about how taxes in Kansas are significantly "higher" than in 1986.

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 3 months ago

Garden,

Yes. The difference between 3 and 5.3 is 2.3. That's a 76.67% increase from the 3% level (2.3 divided by 3.0).

I can't find a link that tells me what the combined sales tax rate was in 1986 in Lawrence, but I have a feeling it was less than the 7.85% we're getting gouged with now.

GardenMomma 4 years, 3 months ago

You do realize that the state sales tax rate is 5.3%, not the local sales tax rate of 7.85%, right?

That's actually a less than double the rate 25 years ago.

From: http://www.ksrevenue.org/bustaxtypessales.htm

"Kansas imposes a 5.3% state retailers’ sales tax, plus applicable local taxes"

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 3 months ago

The Kansas sales tax rate is 76.67% higher today than it was in 1986. And that doesn't include increases in the various county and city sales tax rates.

My, how government grows.