From the Lawrence Daily World for Jan. 4, 1910: “Harry Elliott, Paul Elliott and Gilbert Smith, three university students, have constructed an aeroplane. All they lack now is an engine. The body is modeled after all the latest aircraft and they are confident their creation will fly well. … Other schools have their 1910 football schedules set but Kansas is lagging. The athletic board seems to be dragging its feet.”
100 years ago: Three students build airplane
January 4, 2010
More like this story
- 100 years ago: Two young men of Lawrence build their own 'flying machine'
- 100 years ago: Wilbur Wright, inventor of airplane, spends Thanksgiving in Tonganoxie
- 100 years ago: New propellor invented by Lawrence brothers, tested by 'aeroplanists'
- 100 years ago: Lawrence's first aero glider destroyed in storm
- Old Home Town - 100 years ago