Archive for Sunday, January 3, 2010

Kansas ranks high on U.S. religious index

The Pew Research Center has released state rankings on religion. Kansas ranks between 10 and 14 on the four measures examined. The Rev. Peter Luckey, pastor at Plymouth Congregational Church, said he feels the high ranking in religious commitment is positive, and possibly a way to further promote the values in a given religion. “At the end of the day, I’m glad and honored to be a pastor in a state like Kansas,” he said.

January 3, 2010

How religious is Kansas?

According to the Pew Research Center’s recent study on religion:

• Kansas ranked 10th in worship attendance, as 47 percent of Kansans say they attend a religious ceremony at least once a week. The national average was 39 percent.

• 61 percent of Kansans say that “religion is very important in their lives,” placing them 13th in the country on this measurement.

• Kansas ranked 14th in both belief in God and frequency of prayer. Nearly 80 percent of Kansans say “they believe in God with absolute certainty,” while 62 percent say they pray at least once per day.

• To view the entire report by the Pew Research Center: www.pewforum.org/docs/?DocID=504

On the street

Do you consider yourself a religious person?

I would consider myself more spiritual. All sorts of connotations come with the word ‘religious.’

More responses

How religious are Kansans?

More religious than residents of most states, according to recent rankings by the Pew Research Center.

Kansas ranked in the top 15 for four measures studied, which were residents’ belief in God, frequency of prayer, worship attendance and importance of religion.

Kansas found itself clustered with southern states, which ranked high in the study, and close to its neighbors Nebraska, Missouri and Oklahoma.

Mississippi ranked first on all four measures.

The rankings came as no surprise to some local clergy.

“There is an openness in Kansas to the divine,” said the Rev. Peter Luckey of Plymouth Congregational Church, 925 Vt.

Kent Winters-Hazelton, pastor at First Presbyterian Church, 2415 Clinton Parkway, said the importance of religion to Kansans is visible locally as well.

“This area of Kansas is a much more churched area,” he said. “There is clearly a strong emphasis of religion here in Lawrence.”

But a Kansas University professor of religion, Tim Miller, questioned what the rankings mean, and whether religious commitment is something that actually can be measured.

“It’s all a little slippery,” Miller said. “I would question how accurately that can be measured.”

Miller cited what he terms “subjective guilt” in surveys about religion. Many people believe they should be religious, so they will say that they are when asked, he said.

But is a high religious ranking a positive for the state?

That’s a difficult question to answer, said Joey Ralph, president of KU’s Society of Open-minded Atheists and Agnostics.

“It’s hard to tell if it’s a good or bad thing,” he said, adding that the survey failed to differentiate between open-minded religious practices and those that he terms “more fervent.”

The more important question may be whether someone who identifies with being religious is acting in ways that improve the world, such as promoting social justice, Winters-Hazelton said.

“(Being religious) doesn’t necessarily mean those things are happening,” he said.

But from a pastor’s perspective, a high rank in religious commitment is positive, and possibly a way to further promote the values in a given religion, Luckey said.

Comments

leedavid 4 years, 3 months ago

I get in enough trouble arguing about politics, I'm not going to get into religious discussions too.

Being from Louisiana I just want to correct Anon1958 real quick. Anon said:

"In Louisiana, when the state rankings are released the cry of “Thank God for Mississippi” resounds throughout the bayous. For you see the state of Mississippi has long protected Louisiana from placing dead last in any important category."

Growing up we were 49th in education. Despite my best efforts to make us 50th in the nation, that spot was taken by Alabama. So we are stuck with being the second dumbest in America. We do throw the best parties though.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 3 months ago

Kansas is pretty much a 'conservative' state...except for Douglas County (people refer to Lawrence as 'The San Francisco of the mid-west") Likewise, most Kansans may be considered 'religious' with Douglas county once again being a completely different story.....

brother_cumulus 4 years, 3 months ago

Most religious fanatics realize that religion is a myth. They just can't come out cleanly because they've invested so much of their lives into a big lie that it hurts to face the truth and deny the ancient fairy tales they've been led to believe.

Morich 4 years, 3 months ago

I tend to avoid commenting too much here. I don't mind philosophical arguments from time to time. However, as the article's title suggests, this is a religiously charged argument. Arguing with a group of people aligned a religion can be dangerous.

Someone mentioned that many who do not follow a religion tend to follow a real-world addiction. Y'know, they play video games, watch special TV shows, drink, do drugs. Spend hours on facebook, maybe. Hey, a few of 'em even post comment after comment on the local newspaper's site.

Personally, I'd say that following a religion could be considered a form of addiction. At least, it might look as such to anyone not actively engaged in following the religion in question. It might even look that way to a mormon who's watching a catholic.

Finally, esteshawk wrote "no aethiest ever killed anyone in the name of God."

I think this statement is telling, and somewhat worrying. I'm not willing to kill someone because their belief is not what I think it should be. They might feel different about killing me.

But I want to get away from the "I'm right, you're wrong, NO I'M RIGHT!" style that's beginning.

Let's say for a moment that having our state in such wonderful 'spiritual' shape is great. You win that one.

I just want to know what everyone being in such a good light with god is going to do about the following:

esteshawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Maybe beo is just admitting the truth, and that we all know the bible is not literal. If you believe the bible as inerrant truth,and the world is only 6000 years old, then you are living a lie. The same science that is used to find oil that fuels your life is the same science that tells us the age of the earth. The same science that builds your medications is the same science that provdes evolution. It is hypicritical to believe in science when it befits you, but not when it smacks your worldview down.

Anyway - no aethiest ever killed anyone in the name of God.

Clint Gentry 4 years, 3 months ago

Sorry Vanguard, believing something just "to believe" is a ridiculous proposition. Believing that the invisible man in your head and his zombie son will "return" to take their favorites up in the sky to heaven is just plain old dumbness...are you really listening to your beliefs? Or do you simply parrot what you want to believe as truth is a concept that you are uncomfortable with? Beliefs can be incredibly ignorant, there's no reason to give them special credibility just because telling someone how dumb they are seems rude...

MarineVet 4 years, 3 months ago

Semper Fi Vanguard3 thanks for your service also, I respect a man that will stand up for his faith, it's worth fighting for even in the midst of blabbering fools.

Edjayhawk,

Abortion, the killing of a living thing inside your own body, should not be used as an after-the-fact contraceptive. The practice should not try to siphon off taxpayer dollars to cover sexual participants who lack forward thinking. Even the most mentally-, spiritually- and morally-challenged among your ilk know where babies come from, and we shouldn't have to pay for stupid peoples' lack of parental planning. We should not have to cover your killing of the innocent. You say you're pro-choice. Ok, you stand for choosing to kill the "unwanted", as you put it.

You must be very proud of yourself.

So, taxpayer-funded abortion is still a no-go, right?

vanguard3 4 years, 3 months ago

It would really suck having nothing to believe in, except for man's wisdom, whether it be a 9th grade biology teacher or sophomore year humanities professor making maybe 45k a year.

Not that money is important beyond making ends meet, just that there is no profit in believing in these little tin gods who spout their own beliefs, as if they were prophecy in and of themselves.

God have mercy on me if I tbelieved that the canned, spoon-fed, syllabus-dictated spiel of a disgruntled public employee was the path to enlightenment.

edjayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says… “…doctors and patients that don't want the government telling them what to do with their own body…” -edjh Funny the leftist pro-abortion crowd wants gubment outta the way when it comes to abortion, up until the bill needs to be payed.

What bill exactly is that? Paying a ton of government money to keep a bunch of unwanted children alive? That's the Repubs for you. Against abortion and don't feel government money should be spent on it, but also don't want to pay for social services for all of those unwanted pregancies and children that are doomed to either perish or live in substandard conditions if they can't get help..So please Shewmon enlighten me?

vanguard3 4 years, 3 months ago

MarineVet, you're way too cool. Thanks for service rendered to mankind. Let's talk leadership, credibility and stewardship sometime. I was a member of the World's Greatest Navy for 20 yrs and 13 days. Worked with many a fine Devil Dog along the way.

Semper fi, mi amigo.

vanguard3 4 years, 3 months ago

Over the years, my experience tells me that most who believe in God are reasonable people, Beo. There are a few who give any faith a bad name, to be sure.

Sorry that you had a bad experience. However, that doesn't take you off the path to God, just further removed along the trail that, I believe, we're all on.

Like it or not, it's part of your heritage, and obviously, it's something stuck in your craw.

I don't have a problem with my upbringing, because God gave me the ability to reason things out, to understand the difference between divine intent and human shortcoming. If you're angry for no quantifiable reason, and you can't quite put it into words, I'm sorry that you haven't found the proper path to reconcile the inner torment.

Have you ever thought that it would be easier for a believer to make fun of someone like you, Beo, for not believing, as you try to do making fun of people like me, and for better reason? But, that would be unfair, like shooting fish in a barrel.

Your human pride is dictating that you come up with a glib and cool response that makes everyone fall on their knees and worship you.

Spotlight is on you, Beo. In your mind, you are god, so please, say something that makes us all see the light and wisdom of the words you are now prepared to dispense.

MarineVet 4 years, 3 months ago

Just ignore Beo, he never misses a chance to spew hatred towards christians. His comments have no impact on my beliefs and never will.

vanguard3 4 years, 3 months ago

Jonas, it's cool that you want to do for humanity. Secularism is not a bad thing, provided that it is not inextricably married to a mockery of others' beliefs.

My thought is that man is inherently selfish, that's all. Left to his own devices, not answerable to something beyond self, is trouble waiting to happen. Once man thinks he's the end all, stand by for bad things to happen.

I think it sobering to consider that, perhaps, we're not at the top of the miserable heap.

vanguard3 4 years, 3 months ago

Name any group of humans that doesn't tell lies to support its own point of view, beo. They are humans, after all.

Again, what is the source of your belief, if anything? Beo, I had little children who would sit at the table and say, "I don't like green beans." You're an adult. Don't tell me what you don't believe in. Tell me what you do believe in. Tell me what it is that is so important to you that you consider it wise and chic to tear down another person's source of belief. Otherwise, you're just a little kid who doesn't like green beans.

And I ain't falling for the baiting. C'mon, you have better tricks in that bag of yours, don't you? I was talking to norml, btw.

anon1958 4 years, 3 months ago

beobachter (Anonymous) says…

vanguard3 (Anonymous) says…

Fred Phelps and his hateful little sycophants are certifiable nuts.

As are most of the true believers, aka as Christians.

The last statement is shallow and empirically untrue. The vast majority of Christians mind their own business and are generally good friends and neighbors.

There are more fanatical Christians than I am comfortable with but most true believers are not certifiably nuts and are in fact mainly occupied with raising a family and making a living.

mikerotch61 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh Noes! People believe something differently than me! They're all morons!!!!! MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, grow up libs.

jonas_opines 4 years, 3 months ago

vanguard3 (Anonymous) says…

"My sense of purpose comes from doing decent things for humanity, because God thought that humanity was important enough to create."

My sense of purpose comes from doing decent things for humanity, because we're all humans, and we're all here, for better or for worse. I hope you don't make the assumption that everybody truly needs an invisible third-party figure to motivate them to spread positive things. I've known a number of people who do it without.

beobachter 4 years, 3 months ago

vanguard3 (Anonymous) says…

Fred Phelps and his hateful little sycophants are certifiable nuts.

As are most of the true believers, aka as Christians.

beobachter 4 years, 3 months ago

vanguard3, never smoked pot or used illegal drugs in my life. Also raised and attended church until I had enough sense to understand BS and lies they tell.

vanguard3 4 years, 3 months ago

Fred Phelps and his hateful little sycophants are certifiable nuts. It has been said that what we hate the most in others is what we see in ourselves. So, I ask you, why does Fred Phelps hate homosexuals so much? Everyone knows the answer to Fred Phelps dirty little secret, now don't they? Strange family, indeed.

Reality_Check 4 years, 3 months ago

What I want to know is if it's MORE religious than it used to be. To me, it seems like we turned born-again in the late 1980s. Or was that when more of the whole country started believing in stuff they couldn't see?

At any rate, in spite of God, or despite God, Kansas is falling in ranking after ranking when it comes to quality of life measures and economic growth. Coincidence? I think not...young entrepreneurs don't want to live here. People who make good money don't want to move here.

Let's just watch it crumble while we all hurry on to church.

grammaddy 4 years, 3 months ago

In Europe, people generally only think of 2 things when you mention Kansas...The Wizard of Oz and Fred Phelps. How scary is that?!?!

vanguard3 4 years, 3 months ago

Same day rule applies, snap, snap. Clock is ticking, folks. Put down the bong and let's get to it.

vanguard3 4 years, 3 months ago

beobachter, bozo, jacob, areunorml and nightmare,

You're up. Tell us the center of your universe. Norml, my guess is that marijuana is the center of yours. Please try to convince me that your "way" is the right way. You wouldn't be on this forum and sharing your enlightenment with the rest of us if you didn't think you had things all figured out, right?

You have the floor.

vanguard3 4 years, 3 months ago

My sense of purpose comes from doing decent things for humanity, because God thought that humanity was important enough to create. Then He chose to forgive humanity for its foibles, "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do." That's my my upbringing and it has more to it than just posting some stupid $hit on a newspaper blog from a piss-ant town like Lawrence, Kansas.

You people really need to get out in the real world.

vanguard3 4 years, 3 months ago

What is it that you knuckleheads do to spend the majority of your time pursuing, and to what is it that you dedicate your lives?

It's the new year. Turn over a new leaf and start it off right by looking in the mirror and being honest with yourselves and the rest of us.

What is it that gives your lives meaning?

Defender 4 years, 3 months ago

"What exactly do your mean by religious? There is a certain poster on here who always signs “Darwin Bless You All” and I'd consider him religious; his faith is in evolution and Charles Darwin is his patron saint."

Ummmm, mr_right_wing, that poster is barrypenders. And you have been taken in by some of the lowest common denominator type sarcasm.

You could not have shown your ignorance any better than this. Way to represent the extreme_uneducated_right_wing.

vanguard3 4 years, 3 months ago

I pity the folks who believe that man is the best thing to ever come down the pike. Must be a hollow existence. Read the world news, better yet the local news, and tell me how your god is working out for you.

Let me put it to you this way, what do you worship? Most here would have to say self, ego, drugs, alcohol, sex, money, online interaction or some other addiction.

nativedaughter 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, Jacob123. I now see how that comment could easily be misconstrued as you interpreted it, which was not my intent. I was merely making a pointless comment on the fact that other demographic factors could help explain the rankings.

beobachter 4 years, 3 months ago

Tom, "From Mississippi or Kansas, beoB? " neither. but even more important definitely not Missouri like the forum's primary nutcase.

Jacob123 4 years, 3 months ago

Also, California (where I currently live) is surely only ranked as high as it is due to our large hispanic population.

And they don't count, right?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 3 months ago

So what's uncivil about it, Tom? She is both ignorant and a religious fanatic. Does being civil mean that you have to lie about the actual characteristics of Republicans?

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 3 months ago

"I guess S. Palin gave me the impression that Alaska was full of ignorant religious fanatics."

Note to self: One more example of 'civil discourse' coming from the 'tolerant' left.

nativedaughter 4 years, 3 months ago

Interesting that Alaska is #45 on the list. I guess S. Palin gave me the impression that Alaska was full of ignorant religious fanatics.

parrotuya 4 years, 3 months ago

What's the matter with Kansas? Well, I'll tell you. Too much Jesus and not enough reality. When your state's U.S. senators pray for health care reform to fail, you know that there is a lot wrong with Kansas.

"As bigoted as you thing!"

DOWn, baby, DOWn!

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 3 months ago

jacob123 wrote: "Those who are ashamed that Kansans beleive (sic) in a higher power than the state, should perhaps leave and go to a utopian atheist states (sic)."

No need. There are plenty of agnostics, atheists and free thinkers right here in Kansas. That's the great thing about America.

marcdeveraux 4 years, 3 months ago

We all complain about the muslim right wing ,yet christians embrace the same argument , my god is bigger than yours, how childish

jonas_opines 4 years, 3 months ago

mr right wing: "There is a certain poster on here who always signs “Darwin Bless You All” and I'd consider him religious; his faith is in evolution and Charles Darwin is his patron saint."

Wow, you're really not paying attention, are you? You do know that Barrypenders signs off like that in mockery, don't you? Or are you referring to someone else?

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 3 months ago

From Mississippi or Kansas, beoB?

beobachter 4 years, 3 months ago

Mississippi, one of the poorest and least educated states, yes, that exactly what Kansas should strive to emulate.

Jacob123 4 years, 3 months ago

Those who are ashamed that Kansans beleive in a higher power than the state, should perhaps leave and go to a utopian atheist states. Did it ever occer to you eletists that mississippi and kansas are happy with their state and their lives?

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 3 months ago

This just in: Kansas high on the list in belief in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

And jewish zombies. Braaainnns!

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 3 months ago

"Fifty-three percent (53%) of voters favor a ban on abortion coverage in any health insurance plan that receives federal subsidies."

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 3 months ago

"...doctors and patients that don't want the government telling them what to do with their own body…" -edjh

Stuart Evans 4 years, 3 months ago

I have no problem believing that this is one of the most religious states. In fact it's overwhelming and somewhat scary that so many people believe in such things. One can't get through an hour of the day without hearing some religious nut thanking god for a "miracle" that happened to them.

Clint Gentry 4 years, 3 months ago

Here's a funny game, take the states "with the most religion", and see how they meet up with states "with the most education", it's really quite funny! And trust me, Mississippi/Louisiana/Kansas are not at the top of the education list...

Blessed be thy name Brother Peach...

Matt Needham 4 years, 3 months ago

Be touched by his noodley appendage, for He is the One. RAmen.

weeslicket 4 years, 3 months ago

mr_right_wing: “There is a certain poster on here who always signs “Darwin Bless You All” and I'd consider him religious; his faith is in evolution and Charles Darwin is his patron saint.”

reading comprehension is such a bother for some people. do try again mr_right_wing.

edjayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Can't believe that Kansas was really an anti-slavery state.

Calliope877 4 years, 3 months ago

This is hardly news to those of us born and raised in Kansas. Whoopdi friggin doo...

edjayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Another great attribute of the state. Up there with de-evolution and the persecution of doctors and patients that don't want the government telling them what to do with their own body...

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 3 months ago

Does The Church of Global Warming factor in? Nice to know so many of LJW on-line (award-winning) forum's members are wincing in pain when their eyeballs hit this headline.

jayhawks71 4 years, 3 months ago

The link is wrong. There is an incorrectly added space before the "?DocID." Below is a corrected link.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure what religion, if any, barrypenders practices in non-virtual life, mr. right wing, but around here it's a troll-based religion that has nothing to do with Darwin.

Pilgrim2 4 years, 3 months ago

How religious are Kansans?

Yeah, and...

JJE007 4 years, 3 months ago

The Pew Research Center... Ha!

beobachter 4 years, 3 months ago

That explains what is wrong with the state and its political leaders.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 3 months ago

What exactly do your mean by religious? There is a certain poster on here who always signs "Darwin Bless You All" and I'd consider him religious; his faith is in evolution and Charles Darwin is his patron saint. Folks who are atheists are religious in their own right as well; they basically worship themselves. Even the term "Christian" (which I consider myself) has become incredibly broad, if you own a Bible and all it does is collect dust on the shelf (or if you've ever been in a church) you're considered a "Christian".

anon1958 4 years, 3 months ago

Achieving near parity with Mississippi in any ranking means that your state is likely in serious decline.

In Louisiana, when the state rankings are released the cry of "Thank God for Mississippi" resounds throughout the bayous. For you see the state of Mississippi has long protected Louisiana from placing dead last in any important category.