The end of each year brings a plethora of "Best of" lists. Plethora - that'll make my list for best word of the year used in a photo column. It's an interesting game though; taking a look back at what has been accomplished, what book read, what music listened to and seeing how your lists stack up with others. In yesterday's Journal-World, the photography staff published some of its favorite photos from the year.
In 2010 I'm expecting to have more reader participation in the Behind the Lens column. I'm looking for ideas for subjects to discuss or techniques to illustrate. Whatever your interest, we want to provide answers or insight to your questions and help you become a better photographer. To encourage more two-way communication, I'll begin a blog early this year for all things photography related. Also for 2010 I plan to introduce some new column features. Several will require reader participation so get your cameras ready.
Here are a few:
• Positive/Negative - Reader submitted photographs will be selected, critiqued and commented on by Journal-World staff photographers.
• re:Viewed - Spotlight and review of noteworthy exhibits, Web sites and photography publications with an emphasis on local works.
• Reader's Clique - We'll ask readers to submit photographs for contests based on fun ideas or subjects like, concert pics, self-portraits or cell phone photos.
• Rearview Mirror - From weekend photo excursions to vacations, I'll write about road trips, the resulting photo opportunities and provide tips and insight on photography from a traveler's perspective.
Send your suggestions and ideas for columns to email@example.com and have a Happy New Year.
- Chief photographer Mike Yoder can be reached at 832-7141.