Archive for Sunday, February 28, 2010

Obama signs 1-year extension of Patriot Act

February 28, 2010

— President Barack Obama has signed a one-year extension of several provisions in the nation’s main counterterrorism law, the Patriot Act.

Provisions in the measure would have expired today without Obama’s signature Saturday.

The act, which was adopted in the weeks after the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, expands the government’s ability to monitor Americans in the name of national security.

Three sections of the Patriot Act that stay in force will:

• Authorize court-approved roving wiretaps that permit surveillance on multiple phones.

• Allow court-approved seizure of records and property in anti-terrorism operations.

• Permit surveillance against a so-called lone wolf, a non-U.S. citizen engaged in terrorism who may not be part of a recognized terrorist group.

Comments

jmadison 4 years, 10 months ago

Is the provision approving seizure of records and property not the "library" provision to which the civil libertarians have long objected?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

How's that hopenchange working out for you?

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

Q: Will the hippies be out with their protest signs? A: LOL

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

If Hillary was President, she wouldn't have done this. Too bad the misogynists in the Democratic Party couldn't stand the thought of a woman President.

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

"We don't hate the shrubbery; we pity him."

Wow, that's the opposite of how I feel about the liar in chief we have now. Well, I don't really hate him. I loathe his car-salesman-like ability to dupe otherwise intelligent humans into buying into his stupid slogan-based campaign lies and idiotic socialist schemes.

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

"misunderestimated"

LOL. I always chuckle at that. I might remind you that Shakespeare also made up his own words too.

You could trust Bush when he said something, even if he used words he made up on the spot. I wouldn't trust obama to feed my dogs.

Congrats porchie on defending the patriot act. Maybe you should change your screen name to Anakin so you can change it to Darth Vader next week. The Sith will be so proud of you.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 10 months ago

It is a danger to confuse the ideas of posters on this blog with the policies of the Obama administration.

Obama is proving to be a pragmatic centrist willing to consider all ideas in how to combat terrorists. This is in contrast to the impractical and dangerous ideologues on the right and left.

Obama is doing what is necessary to protect America without regard to ideologies on the right or left. This must be galling to ideologues on the right and left, demonstrably so by the posts above mine.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

Funniest thing about this thread is that Obama did something that the right should be happy about, and all they do is continue to whine, and now have resorted to quoting the former governor of Alaska. Bunch of whiners, you betcha!

Obama will be re-elected, guaranteed.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow Tom, Obama did all of that all by himself in just one year? Remarkable. I guess we should have voted in McCain, so then the economy would have remained "fundamentally sound."

I am thankful for what the Obama administration has been able to do to keep our economy from complete collapse. We will have a recovery, and he will be re-elected. It will be made even easier if the tea-baggers throw money at someone like Palin to run as a third party candidate. Obama will end up winning by even larger numbers than he did against McCain.

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

porch_person (laughter)

I don't remember seeing liberals whining and protesting parts of the Patriot act, only the patriot act itself. As a matter of fact, lots of your friends are livid over obama extending the patriot act, but you being a good member of the cult approve because el messiah has given you permission.

Recently seen on a forum with people nicknamed DUmmies, from liberals less hypocritical than porchi:

I wonder if the constitutional scholar in him died just a bit... The constitutional scholar in him has been a corpse since FISA. F!@#$^ Sell Out - Plain and Simple I am getting sicker and sicker of this crap. Did I dream that Bush was out and a "Democrat" won the election? Among those provisions the administration is seeking to extend is the infamous Section 215: the provision which allows law enforcement access to library and bookstore records, without probable cause, for “national security” reasons. New administration, same old tactics. Disgusting. Time to face the music -- OBAMA IS A LIAR AND A FRAUD! Belief You Can Change In - if the situation presents itself!!! For Shame, Mr. President I guess Obama just doesn't get it

Porchi (laughter), you are a great yes man! You serve your master most humbly and that is a trait you should be proud of.

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

"I'm amazed at how your posts are all the same."

Porchi laughter, are you the pot or the kettle?

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

porchi lauging said:

"You seem unusually upset that someone can point out the difference between sections of the Patriot Act and the Patriot Act in toto"

Hippies didn't complain about "parts" of the patriot act, they complained about the patriot act. It's good to see you can make a 180 on the master's command. You are smarter than my border collie. That's a feat for a liberal.

Also, when are you war protesters going to be out with your stupid signs complaining about the racist war in Afghanistan? Or the continued occupation of Iraq? Or gitmo? Didn't you do some protesting there porchi laughing?

I forgot, your master hasn't given you permission to protest those. Nevermond.

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

"Care to go back and edit your post at 1:44 PM so I can tell who you are either talking to or referring to?"

No, porchi laughing. Google the fist one, ie "I wonder if the constitutional scholar in him died just a bit.".. Find the DUmmies and read it for yourself.

staff04 4 years, 10 months ago

Nice to see F_U elevating the dialogue.

Tom, you mentioned tax cuts...I was just looking back at the records I have saved on the computer I am on now. My federal income tax rate has returned this year to just below the rate I paid in the 2005 tax year. In the 2006 tax year it went up almost 4% and another 1% increase in the 2007 tax year (my income changed a little over this time, but as it turns out, in looking at tax tables from those years my rate would have still increased at those percentages unless I suddenly saw a 10,000% increase in income).

staff04 4 years, 10 months ago

On the topic at hand, I was never opposed to the concept of the government having the ability to snoop if necessary, even on American citizens. I was opposed to doing it while subverting the checks and balances provided by the Constitution and the judicial system.

This news doesn't cause any philosophical dilemma for me.

notajayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

beatrice (anonymous) says...

"I am thankful for what the Obama administration has been able to do to keep our economy from complete collapse."

Let's see, what was the line from somewhere above - 'And he did that all by himself in just one year' or something to that effect?

"We will have a recovery, and he will be re-elected."

The former is a given. The latter will happen if enough kool-aid drinkers such as yourself give him the credit.

staff04 (anonymous) says...

"In short, I'm damn glad to see the Bush era tax system go. I don't have the poll handy, but I heard some liberal (had to be, right?) talking about how despite the FACT that the vast majority of people saw a tax cut this year, something like 55% think that their taxes must be higher because a Democrat is in the White House. How's that for willful ignorance?"

And why don't you look at what happened to the average American's tax rates during the Bush years? Willful ignorance, perhaps?

The fact is that almost everybody's taxes went down during the Bush years (except, of course, the almost half of tax filers who don't pay anything). Percentage-wise, about the same, incidentally. But we wouldn't want facts to get in the way of a good liberal rant.

staff04 4 years, 10 months ago

"the almost half of tax filers who don't pay anything"

Who are these people again and how little do they make? I'm sure you've previously posted a link from the Heritage Foundation or CEI to back up your claim, so I'll apologize for asking you to do it again. I sure as hell have never been one of these people. Even when I was in school and working for scarcely more than minimum wage I paid federal income tax.

nota, I WAS the average American during the Bush years...my point, in case you missed it, was that AS an approximate median income maker during that time my taxes went up appreciably each year even when my income did not.

And now, despite the liberal/socialist/communist/nazi in the White House (and still being a roughly median income earner), my tax burden has gone down along with the vast majority of taxpayers. Despite this, people still think their taxes went up. Got it? I didn't think the point I was making was so difficult to comprehend as to warrant an explanation...then again I'm also not stupid enough to look at my tax bill and by virtue of who is in the White House believe it says one thing when it actually says something else, so maybe I have a different standard than others.

"(By the way, staff - now that your taxes have returned to 2005 levels, do you happen to recall who was president that that time?)"

I love this gem...yes, nota, I DO recall who was president while my taxes were going up year after year. I also know who was president when they started coming down.

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

feeble 4 years, 10 months ago

No surprising, given his votes in the Senate: http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck/2008/01/05/fact_check_obamas_consistent_p_1.php

Note the year on that link, if you click through.

It is also worth noting that the extension is "Bipartisan" in that members of both parties in both chambers of Congress voted for the extension. Perhaps an example of not all Bipartisanship being good Bipartisanship?

"Obama's signature comes after the House voted 315 to 97 Thursday to extend the measure.

The Senate also approved the measure, with privacy protections cast aside when Senate Democrats lacked the necessary 60-vote supermajority to pass them. Thrown away were restrictions and greater scrutiny on the government's authority to spy on Americans and seize their records."

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

to all my noble liberal lawrencians on here who scoured GWB for the patriot act and claimed it interferred with their personal civil rights I wish to point out that Mr. Obama is now actually trying to interfere with the rights of actual american citizens.
and in conclusion I wish to end my remarks with:

... neener neener neener neener neener

libertarianjim 4 years, 10 months ago

To my friends on the left and right. Bush and Obama are nothing more than figure heads. They lack the power either of you give them credit for. The power lies with the "Ways and Means Committee" of Congress. These are the ones with the purse strings. Don't give them our money to squander and we would all be better off. And incidentally, there is nothing patriotic about the so called "Patriot Act". It is an act of so called patriots. Freedom and Liberty come at a price, but that price is not "Freedom and Liberty". It is the blood of patriots and tyrants that must be spilled. The greatest threat to our freedom does not come from other nations, it comes from within our own borders.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

You got rooked, sierraclub. You should demand a do-over election.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Dear Leader not so loved in Nevada. “WASHINGTON -- During his whirlwind visit to Las Vegas two weeks ago, President Barack Obama mentioned U.S. Sen. Harry Reid by name four dozen times, gave him a big hug and talked him up as if he was a long-lost brother. In remarks that could not have been more laudatory, Obama repeatedly characterized the veteran Democratic leader as a man "made of very strong stuff" who was making the right decisions for the state back in the nation's capital.

But as Reid faces an uphill path to win re-election to a fifth Senate term, Obama's enthusiastic endorsement does not appear to have improved the Senate majority leader's standing among constituents, according to a new poll conducted for the Las Vegas Review-Journal. Reid got no bounce from Obama's visit on Feb. 19, when the president spoke highly of him at Green Valley High School and to business leaders at CityCenter, polling indicates. A larger percentage of voters surveyed (17 percent) said they would be less likely to vote for Reid following the president's visit than said they would be more likely to vote for him (7 percent). Seventy-five percent said Obama's visit would have no effect on how they vote.”

ferrislives 4 years, 10 months ago

Liberty275 and others, as an Independent voter, I for one only had a problem with the part about eavesdropping without a warrant. Please don't assume that everyone that has problems with the Patriot Act hates the entire thing. You know what happens when you A-S-S-U-M-E, don't you?

georgiahawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Barry, your world must be pretty scary right about now, what with all the religious paranoia and such. Are you ready to bear arms yet? If things are as bad as you think, surely your non-action will be judged in the same way that Roeder thought his God would judge his non-action.

Tom, I think you are a good person, just misguided! A classic Republican!

Comrade and Liberty275, holy crud! Are you guys serious? Your willful ignorances are astounding and I am beginning to think that your collective ignorances add up to stupidity!