Archive for Friday, February 26, 2010

Three Lawrence men indicted, following raid, for alleged involvement in meth trafficking

A federal grand jury in Kansas City, Kan., has indicted three Lawrence men for allegedly taking part in methamphetamine trafficking after a recent raid at a home east of Lawrence.

February 26, 2010

Related document

Meth Trafficking Indictment ( .PDF )

After interim U.S. Attorney Lanny Welch’s office presented evidence Thursday, grand jurors charged Donald Milton Steele and Randy J. Dyke, both 50, and Anthony Wayne Sims, 57, with one count each of conspiracy to manufacture, distribute and possess with intent to distribute more than 50 grams of methamphetamine, according to court records. Prosecutors allege the crimes occurred from Dec. 20, 2009, until Feb. 17.

Their arrests Feb. 17 were in connection with a raid at 1706 N. 1500 Road, Steele’s residence and business, All Seasons Tree Service.

A federal magistrate judge on Tuesday agreed to release Sims on $25,000 bond. Steele and Dyke have been remanded to federal custody. The three men face an arraignment at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday in federal court in Kansas City, Kan.

According to the indictment, the defendants, if convicted, face at least 10 years to life in prison.

Comments

SDyke85 3 years, 1 month ago

For everyone who keeps asking where the family is we are still standing behind our father with hope and prayers...I believe they are paying off...see we quit playing with stupidy and therefore we are sitting at home with our father who has been home for awhile

focusonlaw 4 years, 1 month ago

The sale of all items owned by Kimm Cline is going on today. There was no meth lab on the property. The reason for the "haz-mat" van was that there were many vehicles with gas and oil plus there were a lot of paint cans on the property. This created a concern for contamination and thus the van. The property has been labeled as not habitable due to plumbing and electrical not being up to code. If you have doubt, contact Keith Dabney at 785-331-1343.

see KSA 79-5201 et seq. The following is a summary of the call to Ks. Dept. of Revenue after hearing that Don was billed $90K for drug tax. I asked "What if he is found not guilty." "Didn't matter he will still owe the $90K!!!" she said "But his case hasn't been adjudicated yet." I said " Doesn't matter." she said " Can I have his attorney contact you?" I asked" " No. Attorneys are not allowed at those proceedings since it is civil!" she responded WHAT!! Taxation based on accusation without representation!!! Really??!!
I am sickened by the prospect that based on accusation one can be put in a private holding facility, not have contact with the outside, be poorly represented, taxed on the basis of an accusation, have your home condemned, lose everything you own, be effectively isolated from incoming mail, have outgoing mail suppressed and then be told that you can't have representation by a court-appointed counsel!
I respect everyone's opinion on this case. I think some have made witty, pithy and accurate comments, others have made poorly worded rhetoric. That's Okay. That is why we have a constitution that allows you to say those things. I defend your right to say them. It sometimes hurts to hear them, but you have the right to say them. God help us all if we loose that! No voice, No Forum, No Lawrence Journal World! My brother has no voice. He is not being heard in this forum. Having been active in civic responsibilities, I am well-aware of the catastrophic effects of meth. I am the first to condemn it's use or condone it's distribution. My brother has always concurred with me in that resolve. He has raised three fine children who have all gone to college or are still attending school. His home was a refuge for the homeless; a well of hope for the hopeless and unfortunately a graveyard for rusty old cars.
I won't convince anyone of Don's innocence by this diatribe. I don't expect to. Most who have added to this forum have contributed real feelings or real thought-provoking issues. Some have provided humor. In all it is the luxury of being able to speak out at all that is at risk. Think about it. Don got set up by a life-long friend who was facing many years in prison....the friend was wired and entrapped Don into some kind of situation. Now Don is silent to all of you. You can't ask him a question and he can't answer it.

By the way, did I mention that today was his birthday? Happy Birthday Don.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 1 month ago

I think they've all gone underground since Uncle Tony rolled on them. The feds are watchin' their interwebs postin's and they gotta hide.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh my, what?

... no posting from "Lilfoot," "*dykes," "mom0f3" [not same as momof3]. I am shocked, shocked I tell ya'!

well ... I guess I am just disappointerededed, I mean, I turned on the steamer for hot dogs, the theater-sized popcorn popper...darn.

so, Lilfoot if you're reading, you still celebratin'? you still that smilin' happy little camper?

... [crickets]

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 1 month ago

read the articles. They were charged with more than 50 Grams with intent to distribute. You gotta have a LOT of meth for them to call it distribution. Can you point us to facts (an article, etc...) to back up your two ounce statement? I think you are mistaken.

jaywalker 4 years, 1 month ago

Don't know, grammaddy. Since it's a federal indictment I'm guessin' there's a whole lot more to it than 2 oz's.

Bob Kraxner 4 years, 1 month ago

To hell with the governments of Lawrence, and Douglas county Kansas.

grammaddy 4 years, 1 month ago

all this for less than two ounces of meth? Seems a little much for me. Not that I'm condoning it but my guess is that the city or county wanted this property really bad.Usually meth busts bring in POUNDS of meth or chemicals used to make it. This seems pretty small time for all the hubbub.

Buggie 4 years, 1 month ago

Zack, I grew up in this house when it was beautiful. When there were lots of fruit trees, beautiful landscape, vegetable gardens, and awesome flowering plants and bushes. The house was beautiful. In the late 80's 88 to be exact that porch was fine. I have wonderful memories of that house however it would now take alot of money to preserve it to its natural integrity. The people bought this house extremely under what it was worth because my aunt had health issues and they had to move to a way drier not so humid climate. These people didnt care about this house from day one they moved in. They had their purpose for it. It was outside of town and started turning into a dump almost immediately. This soooo sickens me. They could have had wonderful fruit sales and veg and fresh flower sales but I suppose meth brings in more green. Too bad thats the only green they cared about. As I have said before even though I loved the house, it really needs to be torn down and something else either go there or left a field. Im glad you care about the history but lets face the truth, unless you are willing to purchase it and put the 10s of thousands that needs to go into it you are wasting your breath and time talking about the history and structure.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 1 month ago

As is typical procedure, the property has been seized by the feds. It will be sold at auction to the highest bidder so by all means, zackattack, go for it.

workinghard 4 years, 1 month ago

FYI --- Owner of record comes back to Kimm Cline, so Scooter's name is not on the title. Was Kimm living there at the time?

zackattackku 4 years, 1 month ago

All this info my friend already knew. He told the information to me and I followed it up with research.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 1 month ago

Why didn't you tell all this to your good friend that lived there? They sure weren't worried about the historic value of the home. While one man's trash is another man's treasure it looks like one man's historic structure is another man's meth lab. Nice.

zackattackku 4 years, 1 month ago

I also know from the tax records at the Spencer Research Library that it was built in 1865 by the Kennedy's. At the time it was in a township though the name of that township escapes me at the moment.

zackattackku 4 years, 1 month ago

Why are you so offensive?!? Go to the public library and look up a book on the Kennedy family in Lawrence. Just ask the help desk, they will show you where to find it. It does exist. I have seen the book and if I knew the ISBN I would tell you but I don't usually write down the ISBN's of the books I have read and to do it now would take forever since I've read a lot of History and Architecture books in the past ten years. A building inspector would say the same thing I do. The house is solid. The porch is another story. That is all. If it were not structurally sound then most of the old houses in the Oread Historic District would fit that description. People do write books on old houses. I own a lot of those types of books. There are books written on the 19th century homes of Lawrence. I'm sure the town historian and the Watkins Museum would have plenty of information on this structure.

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm tired of bleeding hearts trying to save a drug house... I'm so sick of people defending them... Hope they enjoy their ride up the river to Leavenworth... I am done posting on this stupidity! Good bye!

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 1 month ago

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 1 month ago

I would prefer that a city building inspector tell me whether or not the property is safe... They might be more qualified to make that judgement don't you think... hmmm.... What's the books ISBN? What is the title of the book... Ok wait... Let me write one about an old house... Sure, it becomes a landmark then... Someone famous live there? Did something of serious signifcance happen (other than a drug bust)?

zackattackku 4 years, 1 month ago

Read the post by Mitavanam. It is the info from a book on the Kennedy family who built and lived in that house.

zackattackku 4 years, 1 month ago

The house is historic if you look at a post that was made about the history of the house further up this comment board. I have been inside this house as early as Spring 2009 and it was structural sound inside. My friends and I knew that that two story porch was not sound which is why the Steele's never used it. I'm a preservation optimist. I think any old building could be easily restored mainly because I know where to locate the sources for restoration millwork and companies that do structural restoration. The main structure of that house is very solid and sound.

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 1 month ago

Where is all of the evidence that this house is so historical? Let the documents be seen... Where is the research? Facts... Let's hear them... I am so sick of people saying save this house... They have had plenty of chances and have FAILED MISERABLY!!!

KansasPerson 4 years, 1 month ago

zackattackku, I don't say it couldn't possibly be restored, but to say "it could be easily restored" is a bit of a stretch. Apparently it wasn't "easy" to keep the place maintained properly, and now that it's a dusty dirty and probably smelly mess, it sure as heck isn't going to be "easy" to restore it to its historic grandeur or whatever.

I would go so far as to agree that old buildings are OFTEN worth saving, but not always. If there is so much structural damage from years of neglect that you'd have to actually replace the materials it's built of, then to my mind, it's not really worth saving unless it's a place of very strong historic value. And even then it's expensive and NOT EASY.

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 1 month ago

Deja Coffin 4 years, 1 month ago

Zackattackku- Maybe you should tell that to the people that made it look like a dump. You get so offended if someone calls it a dump but you're friends with the people that turned it to crap.

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 1 month ago

zackattackku 4 years, 1 month ago

It was built in 1865. It's a historic house and how dare you call it a dump. It's a diamond in the rough, granted very rough. It could be easily restored and who is saying they made meth in the house? Could have made it in the trailers or the underground cavern behind the house. Old buildings are worth saving regardless of there appearance. And think about it, the house is someone's home. Who will miss it? My friend will who grew up there with his siblings and parents. That is his home.

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 1 month ago

zackattackku:

Maybe the DG Tresurer's office should get first dibbs! Have they been paying their taxes? Hmmm... It's a dump... Will not be missed!

zackattackku 4 years, 1 month ago

My friend who is the son of the guy who owns that house can attest to the fact that the city and county have been trying to take his house for years.

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 1 month ago

All of this junk that they had out there? I wonder if the property taxes were being paid on all of it? Maybe the DG Tresurer's office should get first dibbs!

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 1 month ago

What do you have to say now JDyke? lol

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 1 month ago

Nana Nana ... Hey hey hey good riddens!!!

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 1 month ago

Nana Nana ... Hey hey hey good riddens!!!

bennyoates 4 years, 1 month ago

Three white gangsters, none of them from Topeka. Bigots on some of these boards must be disappointed they can't do their usual racist profiling in response to LJW crime stories.

BruceWayne 4 years, 1 month ago

can enough be raised by selling that junk to retain Pedro?

tanaumaga 4 years, 1 month ago

can you say set up? good....now can you say narc? good....now can you say plea bargain? maybe,...o.k. yeah , that's right feds.... SET UP and NARC'd out. good.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 1 month ago

We're reading Bleeding Kansas by Sara Paretsky in my book club and I've heard that this location is in the book. Should be almost as good as reading these comments!

greenworld 4 years, 1 month ago

Poor ole Scooter....."My dad didnt do anything"..........HAHA.....lmao Where is JDyke at now? No sighting yet.

BruceWayne 4 years, 1 month ago

all this historical value talk is a joke. who cared about the historical value the last 20+ years as the garbage piled up and became more and more of an eyesore. the city wants this property? really? can anyone offer one single shred of proof this is true? drugs. drugs are the reason this has happened.

Glen Moore 4 years, 1 month ago

They did put it up very fast. They don't put just any ol method lab up that fast. This is a historical method lab ran by friendly family loving folks. I'll start the bidding at a quarter gram!

bigdave 4 years, 1 month ago

AreUNorml (anonymous) says... For Sale.. Mostly Junk with assorted crap thrown in.

I think it's mostly crap with assorted junk thrown in!

Bob Kraxner 4 years, 1 month ago

This whole alleged crime is a sad example of the lows that law enforcement will stoop to these days. If that building were a functioning lab, then it would be required for the owner to completely replace the entire electrical system at the very least, because of the damage that the chemicals used in the production of meth, and the effect they have on electrically charged non-ferrous metals, such as copper, aluminum and brass. If the owner is not able to do this, then the property auctioned of after a period of at least 30, but not more than 90 days. Yet, the property is scheduled to be auctioned off already! Sounds like Douglas county has just joined the ranks of the hundreds of other counties in America that have no regard for the rights of it's citizens, before they're even found guilty. Since drugs are involved, the county can just throw all the ownwers rights away. This is another fine example of the patriot act, at its finest.

The United Socialists of America, in action once again. FVCK THE GOVERNMENT!

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 1 month ago

"A federal magistrate judge on Tuesday agreed to release Sims on $25,000 bond."

lilfoot (anonymous) says...

rolled ha ha released on o.r. under cover said he never touched the drugs or money just in the wrong place at the wrong time this just in lol yay tony!

lilfoot (anonymous) says...

seein as how i just talked to him i do know more about it than you and yes happy for him and the people who care about him and whats the point of rollin when an under cover is involved and has been for awhile now no house arrest either. say what you will bout me who cares i dont the only reason i'm blogging on the whole story anyway is because it has to do with my family member . i have a life a very good one and dont go around blogging on things that i have nothing to do with . happy blogging,ppl get a life!

lilfoot (anonymous) says...

wow what i know i know from what happened at court and the reasons they gave for letting him out, not just from him. if he did roll to save himself from 10 to life and a 4 million dollar fine ,so what! those men would have to mean more than his own life to do that. there's no honor among criminals if you wanna put it that way.

Soooooo, the rest of the story. They didn't let "Uncle Tony" out because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. "Uncle Tony" made Bail! Now don't we just look stupid?

jayhawk72 4 years, 1 month ago

The city has been trying to obtain that porperty for years, could this be the "new site" for the homeless shelter? hahahahaha.. Money hungry city throwing its weight around. but boy do they move fast if the property is already up for auction. hmmm....sounds a little fishy?

mitavanam 4 years, 1 month ago

The house does have historical value not just for the Wakarusa Valley but also Lawrence . This property was settled on by William J. Kennedy in 1865 with his new bride, Lucinda Shields Kennedy. They had only married the year before in the Eudora township. Interior photos appearing on the auction site indicate that the house may be the original structure.

Here is a biography of Kennedy found in Andrea's 1883 History of the State of Kansas.

William J. Kennedy, farmer and stock-dealer, Section 34, Post Office Lawrence, settled on his present place in 1865. There are 100 acres in the home farm and 160 acres in the immediate vicinity devote to grain and stock, the former principally. W. J. Kennedy is one of the pioneers of Kansas: he was born in Brown Co. Ohio, May 21, 1832. He was educated in his native county and move to Illinois. In 1852, located in Fulton Co, here he learned to run a steam engine, having a natural taste of mechanics. In 1855, he and three other companions, W. J. James, Harrison Green and Sam Parks, hired a man with a light wagon to drive them to Kansas City; from there they walked to Franklin, Douglas County, Kansas settling October 12th. He at once commenced working as an engineer, and for the next five years was engaged at this, making wages of $5.00 per day. His first place was in charge of a saw mill at Lawrence, which he operated until it blew up a few months later. He then operated a saw and grist mill in Franklin, until the supply of timber was exhausted. He then put an engine into a saw mill, built by Darland, in North Lawrence, and after putting it up took charge of it for about two years. The next year, he took charge of a mill for Dr. Williams, and then the following year bought a farm which he operated until he bought the place on which he now resides. During the border ruffian troubles, he took an active part with the Free State men, holding the position of Lieutenant of the Franklin Company from its first organization until the troubles ended, participating in all engagements; at the taking of Franklin, he was the first man in the fort, disarming Ruckles, the Captain of the defenders; afterward distinguishing himself in preserving order, with his own hands emptying on the ground two barrels of whiskey which his men had captured. During the late war, he was attached to the headquarters of the Kansas State Militia, at Shawneetown, on special duty. He was married in Eudora Township, Douglas County in March 1857, to Miss Licinda Shields, daughter of Joseph Shields, Esq., one of the pioneers of 1855. They have six children - Lizzie J., Asa D., Frank H., John H., Flora M. and Horace E. Mr. Kennedy is a member of the K. of H. and the A.O.U.W. of Lawrence.

BruceWayne 4 years, 1 month ago

a movie crew should film this mess for a documentary on the damage meth does to lives. this really is sad.

gccs14r 4 years, 1 month ago

What a mess. Looks like the debris from a bunch of shattered lives.

Agnostick 4 years, 1 month ago

If I buy today, do I get the garbage, too, to go with my junk and crap?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 1 month ago

For Sale.. Mostly Junk with assorted crap thrown in.

BruceWayne 4 years, 1 month ago

found the auction site.did not see one single thing worth going out there for. I am sure the story itself will bring a few lookers, but I would be surprised if they raise a couple grand. might be better off just scraping everything.

haggisgirl 4 years, 1 month ago

The_Original_Bob: They are presumed innocent until their trial. Just because they were indicted by a grand jury does not mean they are in fact guilty or guarantee a conviction. And no, I do not know these men nor am I related to them.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 1 month ago

There must be a mistake here. I was informed by friends and family members that these esteemed gentlemen are innocent.

Richard Payton 4 years, 1 month ago

Wonder if the auctioneer knows this is a "meth house" and anybody living in such a house could encounter serious health risk. Maybe law enforcement could call and inquiry.

lgreen17 4 years, 1 month ago

Why was this a federal case? Doesn't our elected district attorney want some work? No, that's right, he is giving all these cases to the feds so they will give him a job....Why do we have a district attorney? he doesn't do any prosecutions.

couranna1 4 years, 1 month ago

probably considered two of them a flight risk

KansasPerson 4 years, 1 month ago

popsters, that link isn't working, but if curious people go to http://hiattauction.com/ and then "click here to enter" and then "March 6th, 2010 Estate-Business Liquidation Auction" they'll see it.

poppygirl 4 years, 1 month ago

It's the house too ! That's scary in itself

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Krusty sings "Bring In The Clowns"

(Family comments to follow)

KansasPerson 4 years, 1 month ago

Wow, poppygirl, you're right! And I thought someone said earlier that a meth lab had to be treated like a hazardous waste site -- it looks like they're selling everything except the actual house, which I didn't see on the list....

PrettyTony 4 years, 1 month ago

Why'd they let the one guy out and not the others??

poppygirl 4 years, 1 month ago

And now there is an Auction scheduled for the personal property and real estate???? http://hiattauction.com/March%206%202010%20Public%20Aucion.htm

justforfun 4 years, 1 month ago

SpunKey That's awesome!!! Exactly what I was thinking!! LMAO

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

So sad what drugs can do to a person's life.

SpunKey 4 years, 1 month ago

Too funny!

First the place is under warning about noxious weeds growing and poor upkeep.

Then they are linked to buying cars from people who need bail money (gotta get them out so they can buy more meth, right?).

And then the house is condemned, yet they are still living there.

And all this time they are cooking meth!?!

I think they must have been doing a lot of meth to not realize a drug bust would be iminent!

Classic examples of a) how stupid people are when addicted to drugs, b) that crime doesn't pay (at least not enough to live in a real house or own real cars) and c) how slowly law enforcement works.