Archive for Sunday, February 21, 2010

Victim’s friends urge driver to ‘man up’ to hit-and-run

Fundraiser planned for March 19 to help cover medical bills

Krystyn Renfro, 33, is the victim of a hit-and-run accident that occurred Jan. 31. She is recovering at a Kansas City hospital.

February 21, 2010

Friends, family ask hit-and-run driver to confess

Family members and friends of a woman injured in a hit-and-run accident are asking the driver to confess to the crime. The incident occurred about three weeks ago. Enlarge video

Renfro benefit

When: 8 p.m. Friday, March 19

Where: Jackpot Music Hall, 943 Mass.

What: Five bands and a silent auction. Donations can also be made at any Douglas County Bank to the Renfro Support Fund.

She’s a chef, a mother of three, a devoted friend, and now Krystyn Renfro can add medical miracle to that list.

“She’s doing remarkably well,” said Renfro’s longtime friend, Jericho Van de Velde.

“She’s definitely a rare case. When she got to the hospital, they said they’d be surprised if she survived five days.”

That was more than 20 days ago.

Now, as the 33-year-old hit-and-run accident victim lies in a Kansas City hospital bed — with a shattered pelvis and broken ribs, and suffering from a brain injury — friends and family are begging the driver who struck her to come forward.

‘The right thing’

“What I would say to them is to man up,” Van de Velde said. “They didn’t do the right thing that night after they hit her. They need to do the right thing now.”

“I just keep trying to picture what kind of person would be able to do something like that,” Renfro’s friend, Liz Taylor, said.

“The most difficult part was to try to think of who this person was, and why they would leave someone there in the street to basically die.”

Renfro was struck by a car near 28th Street and Lawrence Avenue around 1:15 a.m. Jan. 31. Her father, Ralph Renfro, has said his daughter was hit after bending down to pick up her cell phone, which she had dropped on the street. The police report indicates Krystyn Renfro had consumed alcohol prior to the accident, although Van de Velde, who was talking to Krystyn on her cell phone just moments before the impact, said she made no mention of having consumed any alcohol and didn’t sound as though she was under the influence.

Police said that although Krystyn had drunk some alcohol before the accident — test results aren’t back yet that would pinpoint how much — they don’t believe it contributed to the accident.

On the other hand, Van de Velde, who has been by Krystyn’s side since the accident, is convinced the driver who hit her and fled the scene must have been drunk.

“There’s no way that I’ll believe that the person behind the wheel was sober,” he said, “Someone getting behind the wheel of a car, hearing the thud, seeing something in the rearview mirror and just kept going — the phrase ‘burn in hell’ comes to mind.”

Police are still seeking any information about the accident and continue to look for what they’ve described as a silver or light-colored 2004 to 2006 Mazda 3 with possible front end damage.

Lawrence police Sgt. Bill Cory said officers have already looked at a long list of cars matching the description of the suspected vehicle, although he did not have an exact number. Police also have a few leads they are still following.

Beginning to recover

Renfro’s friends said Krystyn and her family deserve to see the driver brought to justice.

“I think it’s important in the sense that it would give her family a sense of peace,” Taylor said.

But more important to them is their friend’s recovery. Van de Velde said that while Krystyn has been moved out of the intensive care unit and is “out of the woods,” she still has a long recovery ahead.

Friends have organized a March 19 benefit for Krystyn at the Jackpot Music Hall in downtown Lawrence, which will include five bands and a silent auction. Money raised will help the Renfro family with expenses related to the accident.

“I think this is going to help her and her family in so many ways,” Taylor said.

Krystyn’s parents, who live in Chase, have spent the past three weeks by their daughter’s bedside, helping care for her 4-month-old son. The money raised could help her parents stay nearby throughout their daughter’s recovery.

Friends said the only other thing that would help right now is knowing who is responsible for Krystyn’s injuries.

“We want to know who it is,” Van de Velde said. “All of us deserve it. First and foremost Krystyn deserves it. She has a right to know.”

Comments

Angela Heili 4 years, 1 month ago

I think everyone does know what 'man-up' means. They just want something to gripe about. I guess those people who think it's sexist failed to realize that being called a woman and a female is, by their definition, sexist too. The word 'man' is in the word 'woman' and the word 'male' is in the word 'female'. So now what? Maybe they'd like to call themselves 'its' so they don't use a 'sexist' term! (rolling eyes)

Jane 4 years, 1 month ago

I thought everyone knew what 'man-up' meant, and that it applied to male and female. Well wishes to Krystyn.

Angela Heili 4 years, 1 month ago

Jericho, your remark wasn't sexist, and you have nothing to apologize for. Those people are just the overly sensitive, politically "correct", complainers of the world. They want everyone to talk the way they do and if we don't they are going to complain about it. They can have some cheese with their wine!!

They can take their political "correctness" somewhere else.

thegodproject 4 years, 1 month ago

Lawrence used to be a town where it was okay, and safe, to walk, and the drivers took notice of pedestrians and bikers. The number of "removed comments," and persons defending the offenders, doesn't speak well of the direction the community is going...

Glen Moore 4 years, 1 month ago

As for the comments to why this Mom was out and about at 1am. Did any of you think maybe she had a long day. Lets try this scenario. Working mom gets home late, tends to the house chores, dishes, laundry, feeding kids, dishes again, bathing kids, It's close to the 1st of the month and she sits to do some book keeping and runs some numbers, Has a few drinks while running numbers and desides to step outside to catch some air (or maybe some other scenario thats none of your buisness)...... Come on people you really have nothing better to do than be "nosey" or "curious" as to why this mom of 3 was outside at 1am. You people really are just full of yourselves. I have 4 kids and find very little time to myself and work late hours so If Im out catching a breath of air at 1 am dont judge me either. The world does not shut down when you folks go to bed. Idiots!

The "driver" hit a woman who was walking (reguardless of time of day or where) and Left her to die. the driver and only the driver is the guilty party. Not Krystyn!

Angie Dick 4 years, 1 month ago

I think this is HORRIBLE. Reguardless, if the gal had drank or not pedestrians have the right of way! Who ever hit the gal, Ran for a reason? I think it's a shame. I wish all her family, friends and her the best of luck finding the person or persons but, I gotta say... Wow If they didn't own up to it then, they won't now! Then again the man upstairs, work's in mysterious way's, so ya never know! Just don't stop lookin or asking questions.

Bob Kraxner 4 years, 1 month ago

I certainly hope that this young lady recovers fully. In light of this tragedy, why don't all those who choose to bicker back and forth on this website try channeling some or all of the energy you use to produce your lame opinions into outlawing the sale and use of alcohol on or within 5 miles of a college campus to any one under the age of 25. This accident and others like it that involve drinking and driving have been on the rise for many years, yet, do any of you pressure your state representatives to change the alcohol laws??? No. It's no secret that most all college kids abuse alcohol. I say abuse, because a helluva lot of the KU students are irresponsible spoiled brats whose parents have more money than sense, and absolutely any use of alcohol by anyone under the age of 25 yrs. is abuse.

People under 25, as a whole, are far less responsible these days than ever before in history, and accidents such as this tragedy are proof. Everyone knows that college is no longer about getting an education, it is all about doing as much partying as you can get away with while putting forth as little effort as is required to purchase a 4 year degree. Change comes about when people such as yourselves, unite, and petition the people who represent you at the state level, instead of bickering like children on some lame website, such as this. College students have no business having any access to alcohol. Period.

jericho138 4 years, 1 month ago

"Man up" was the phrase her parents used when I asked them if there was anything they wanted me to be sure to say. Sure, it could have been a woman driver. How petty are you, who focuses on that phrase? I apologize for not taking your sensitive nature into account. As I understand it, "man up" means to take responsibility for your actions. I hereby "person up" and apologize to all the men in the world for my "sexist remark". Jeez.

dickvandyke 4 years, 1 month ago

gosh golly gee I kno I am not the smartest person on here posting but even I kno that it is not a good idea to pla in a busy street when its dark out whether that be riding yer bike with no lights or stumblin home and droppin stuff in a busy street you should be careful not because it makes it yer fault but becuz you could get kilt and in a battle bwteen a car and you you are gonna lose every darned time did yer mommas raise fools er somethin?

Eride 4 years, 1 month ago

Eride 4 years, 1 month ago

I wanted to add for all the people who keep bringing up "Jaywalking" and how pedistrians shouldn't ever be in a street at night (cough)... that under Kansas statutory law pedistrians always have the right of way when they cross the street at a marked or UNMARKED crosswalk. This means that all traffic must yield, period. The one exception to this is when the crosswalk is controlled either by a pedistrian signal or some other means. In all other circumstances a pedistrian may cross the street but they must yield to all traffic.

In addition, this doesn't mean that if you hit a pedistrian who should have yielded that you did not potentially commit a crime. It also doesn't remove potential civil liability for hitting that pedistrian.

I think it is asinine that anyone would sit there and type things that essentially say she deserved to be hit because she was in the street. For starters, we don't have any factual information saying she was doing anything wrong. And secondly the onus should be on the person who hit her and left her to die... not the victim! Even if she jumped in front of the vehicle (which again, nothing that has been released suggests she is responsible...) the real culprit here is the person who hit her and drove off.

Number_1_Grandma 4 years, 1 month ago

Eride 4 years, 1 month ago

Okay, let me get this straight. We have two people.

Person A: Was hit with a car and left to die in the street, the LPD have yet to report that she was in the wrong.

Person B: Hit someone with their car and left them in the street to die and has yet to turn themselves in almost a month later.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to try to blame Person A, obviously... why blame the person who hit someone with their vehicle and left them in the street to die? That is just silly!

mr_right_wing 4 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone really even know what that means anymore ('man-up")? We don't exactly have a lot of 'men' with character these days (sadly). We're seeing an increase in the number of hit-and-runs. Not to mention that the term "man-up" probably is not well received by politically correct liberals!!

dickvandyke 4 years, 1 month ago

momma also said not to pla in da street or when it was dark out but once again momma was a smart smart lady

AS 4 years, 1 month ago

Man Up and just do a little jail time. You'll find a boyfriend

ksarmychick 4 years, 1 month ago

Could it be that she dropped her cell phone into the street(like the story states) and saw the car coming, thought the car was going to run over her cell phone so she ran out into the street infront of the car to try and save her phone, and the car either didn't have time to stop or didn't see her and hit her? Either way the car should have stopped to help.

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 1 month ago

the driver was from Topeka (just a guess....)

rodentgirl16 4 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps the young woman didn't see the car because the car didn't have its lights on. Seems like a detail that a drunk driver might forget. Maybe the victim was at fault (but I'm not a police officer), but it became irrelevant when the cowardly driver hit her and left the scene. She sounds like a strong lady, and I hope she recovers soon!

Calliope877 4 years, 1 month ago

popcorn - From what I recall of the original article, there was a witness to the accident.

budtugly 4 years, 1 month ago

She looks like a very beautiful and sweet woman and I hope for the best for her.

Jane 4 years, 1 month ago

YOUNGCSI-I remembered those facts from the first article also. Some people post without ever reading the articles...sigh. Though I doubt I will go downtown for the fundraiser, I would like to contribute to the fund for her medical and/or other bills that are piling up by the minute.

dickvandyke 4 years, 1 month ago

momma alwyss said to look both ways b4 crossing them streets momma was a smart smart lady let me tell you

Monica Miller 4 years, 1 month ago

So am I the only one that remembers reading, in a previous article, that this woman was standing near someone's mailbox talking on the phone, the person's whose house she was in front of was opening the door to see if she needed something (I'm guessing they didn't know her), she dropped her phone, bent down to pick it up and that's when she got hit. This scenario in no way leads me to believe she was walking down the street in a drunken stuper, as some of you have suggested. I am a mom and also in my 30's and think we deserve a break or a night out every once in a while. Especially her having a newborn in addition to other kids. It is easy to get overwhelmed and just need some time away. Blaming her for this is completely RIDICULOUS!!!

olmsted78 4 years, 1 month ago

the term 'man-up' seems like not the best slang term to use as a headline here.

otherwise, i hope for the best for her health. people go out late, it happens. and hit-and-runs, unfortunately, they happen too.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 1 month ago

I have a question - who provided the info on what type of car it might have been? It sounds like a miracle that someone saw it happen and was able to summon help immediately, otherwise she might have died right where it happened.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 1 month ago

CAclarks is correct, except I believe it must be active signals, and not just a stop-sign, at both intersections. Regardless, the statement that "unless a pedestrian is in a crosswalk they are violating the law" is clearly wrong.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 1 month ago

I also did not state it correctly. It is only jaywalking, and hence illegal, between interesections where both intersections are controlled (signaled).

Sec. 65. Crossing at Other Than Crosswalks; Jaywalking:

(a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway. . . . (c) Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals are in operation pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk. . . . [Kansas Standard Traffic Ordinance, 2009; Section 65]

notjustyoureverydayaveragetrol 4 years, 1 month ago

So is the victums friend suggesting by her 'man up' remarks that a woman cannot possibly be responsible for a hit and run? There are some construction workers down on 59 that might beg to differ. Her friend doesn't strike me as being too smart.

NME 4 years, 1 month ago

Stop this picking at wether she crossed the street correctly or if she should've been home and not out . A women got seriously injured and she or none deserves that ,to be hit and the person not stand up to the crime or stop to see if she's ok!

Stu Clark 4 years, 1 month ago

PBG, There is a crosswalk at every intersection, whether it is marked or not. Also, crossing a street in the middle of a block is not jaywalking if there are no controls (stop sign or traffic lights) at the adjoining intersections.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 1 month ago

PittBullGrandma said: "I was merely stating that unless a pedestrian is in a crosswalk they are violating the law"

Parrysmom asks: "if there is no marked crosswalk and you cross in the middle of the street, is it still jaywalking?"

I'm not sure that PittBull answered your question, Parrysmom, although she did correct her first statement by acknowledging that pedestrians can cross legally at uncontrolled and unmarked intersections which do not have "marked crosswalks."

And although I could be wrong, I believe that it is not jaywalking to cross a municipal street between any two uncontrolled intersections. If PittBull has an ordinance number to the contrary I would be interested in it. Her first statement in this thread was erroneous regardless.

NME 4 years, 1 month ago

Can't a responsible, hardworking 33 year old mother of 3 go out? I meen seriously questioning her being out is un called for! People get sitters and go out and have fun! Adults at 33 still like to have fun! Im in my 30's and know 40 year olds with small kids who go out way more than me and they are responsible parents. So being bothered by that is silly. I hope she can recover from this terrible accident!

catfishturkeyhunter 4 years, 1 month ago

Maybe this gal should have drove under the influence instead of walking. Atleast then she wouldn't be getting bashed by the general public. Last I checked it was perfectly legal to hire a babysitter and go out with friends for a few drinks. Atleast this lady did the responsible thing by walking unlike the drunk that ran her over. I must say Lawrence certainly has its fair share of prudes as well as rich moronic college students.

Angela Heili 4 years, 1 month ago

I absolutely agree with you Grandma. The court system is far too lenient. Stay safe and warm!

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 1 month ago

Parrysmom, a pedestrian can legally cross the street at an intersection. Irregardless, it is a shame that these accidents happen at all and I hope she is able to recover to a point where she will be able to resume normal activities with assistance. I also hope that the police find out who is responsible (not her, of course) and some closure will be achieved by the victim and her family. Unfortunately, there is still the matter of prosecution through the court system that is usually far too lenient in sentencing which is the biggest shame of all.

whatupdown 4 years, 1 month ago

I hope the police check ebay and delivery companies too, you can get all the repair parts delivered to your front door, color matched to.

littlelawrencian 4 years, 1 month ago

Though I don't know much about the car identified as a Mazda 3, are any of these types of cars made as hybrids? I ask because if so, the walker wouldn't have heard the car at all and if the car happened to be driving without headlights, she wouldn't have even known what hit her. God Bless her, I will keep her in my prayers. Nothing but trouble out there after midnight for anyone. Guess I better not let my dog out on leash around the edge of my property since some idiot could come along and hit me on my own property!

Angela Heili 4 years, 1 month ago

I apologize Grandma. You mentioned people taking sides, and I took a side, so figured your post was addressing all of us including myself since I have taken a side.

If it was near Lawrence Ave and 28th, the hit and run may have occurred on a street that didn't have a posted crosswalk. So then my legitimate question is, if there is no marked crosswalk and you cross in the middle of the street, is it still jaywalking?

ralphralph 4 years, 1 month ago

PBG - Many cities have an ordinance which prohibits being a "Pedestrian Under the Influence" ... which basically means not just being intoxicated, but being intoxicated AND being in a roadway under such circumstances that you cause the risk of personal injury or property damage to yourself or others ... That is, not just "drunk in public" but "drunk and in the street".

I don't know if Lawrence has such an ordinance, but I would bet they do.

Either way, the punishment doesn't include being hit by a car and left lying there.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 1 month ago

New webpage seems to make posting twice happen ... sorry about that

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 1 month ago

It wasn't in the article, Parrysmom, nor did I say it was. I was merely stating that unless a pedestrian is in a crosswalk they are violating the law, addressing a comment made by an earlier poster about the victim committing a crime.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 1 month ago

Angela Heili 4 years, 1 month ago

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything in the article that said she was jaywalking, so I'm not sure from where that "fact" came. So maybe we, you included, should follow your advice and stick to the facts and not bring things into the discussion about that article posted here that aren't posted in the article. I did a search on this webpage (control F) and the only place the word jaywalking presents itself is in your post Grandma.

I agree it does make it easier to follow the discussion when we stick to the facts.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 1 month ago

Well all I have to say is that my prayers and thoughts go out to her. I hope she makes a full recovery for her and her children.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 1 month ago

And as far as someone talking about the victim committing a crime...it is a crime to be drunk in public and pedestrians are supposed to cross only at marked crossings. Crossing even at an intersection constitutes a misdemeanor offense for pedestrian in the roadway, under the influence or not. Crossing in the middle of the street is jaywalking.

This is not to judge or blame but to relate information to the ones who are taking sides here. Try to get your facts before you post, please. It would make it a lot easier for us trying to follow the discussion.

Nikki May 4 years, 1 month ago

I was going to say IN the street could mean CROSSING the street. I doubt that she was just walking down the middle of the street. I think it's interesting that people think you should be past drinking by 23 or 25. Seriously? When do you start then? Granted, I don't drink, but tons of people older than me do.

To anyone that has my number, if you are drunk, thank you for not driving. Call me though, I don't want you ran over by someone who may be drunk, but at the very least is inattentive. I'll come get you, even if I've already gone to bed. I'd rather be tired than you injured or worse!

Bunny_Hotcakes 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes, Grandma, we should feel compassion and only speak well of the person who did a hit-and-run. Your logic is flawless.

Angela Heili 4 years, 1 month ago

Maybe she was in the street because she was crossing the street?

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't put ANY blame on the victim, but because I am a nosy person I have also wondered why she was out walking at that time of night. There is a sidewalk along Lawrence Ave so I wonder (again, without blame, just curiousity) why she was in the street. (I assume she was actually in the street per the articles; there's never been mention of the car leaving the roadway and swerving onto the sidewalk.). And, again out of my nosy curiousity, I have wondered where the kids were at the time of the accident. The article mentions her parents have been helping care for her infant, but where are the other kids now?

It's atrocious that someone left the scene and I hope they are caught & justice is done. It's great that Ms Renfro has such a supportive family & friends and I hope the fundraiser is is very successful, and for her to have a full recovery.

Number_1_Grandma 4 years, 1 month ago

sciencegeek 4 years, 1 month ago

Maybe, just maybe, the victim was walking because she HAD had a few drinks, and was responsible enough not to DRIVE in that condition. Has anyone considered that?

As long as the law allows someone to drink, drive, hit someone, drive away, sober up, turn themself in, and only get a slap on the wrist because they are NOW sober, this kind of tragedy will continue.

Angela Heili 4 years, 1 month ago

I think it is very, very sad that a woman is in the hospital and of all the posts on here there is only one that actually addresses this woman and wishes her well. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. A mother of three has every right to go out and enjoy some time to herself without the risk of being killed or dragged over the coals by shameless insensitive posters!

Krystyn, let me be the first to apologize for these insensitive posters, namely Outlaw, Charlesincharge and averagetrol. I certainly hope that you have a speedy recovery. And if you have another girl's night out, I would love to join you, because I have 4 kids and need breaks every now and then too. Because (gasp) I have a girls night out on occasion and the last one I had I didn't get home until almost 2 am!!!

So you guys can pick on me now. I've got broad shoulders and I'm not laying in a hospital bed and unable to defend myself.

kubacker 4 years, 1 month ago

jayhawkca

I've never heard of anyone appearing before the City Commission demanding that we have drunk driving checkpoints from Midnight to 4 in the morning (when all the drunks are on the road) every weekend night and also some week nights, and that our cops make it a prioity to look for and get drunk drivers off our streets.

Maybe you can be the first one to do so, otherwise, unless you want to become roadkill my advice is don't walk or ride your bike in the streets of Lawrence after sundown without using extra caution to get your butt out of the way of oncoming traffic.

Here is a clue - regardless of what is right and what is wrong life ain't fair and you rarely get a second chance at it when you get hit by a car.

mom_of_three 4 years, 1 month ago

I may have to go back and read the prior articles. The car must have been speeding, cause there is no way someone would have walked into the middle of the street with a car coming, and if a car was coming, you wouldn't stop to pick up your phone after you dropped it., especially after dark.
Way too many hit and run accidents the past few years. And although law abiding citizens have a right to the streets, we need to be extra vigilant and cautious, cause there are lots of stupid people driving evidently.

notjustyoureverydayaveragetrol 4 years, 1 month ago

I give in because I dont want to be killed by some idiot.

jonas_opines 4 years, 1 month ago

"would you posters who just want to make this young lady out to be at fault for what happened please just stop posting and leave it alone."

You're tilting at windmills. My personal theory is that this is what people do with stories about tragic things because they are afraid, because they know that most of us are only two steps from injury or death at all times, and have to reassure themselves by armchair nitpicking about any actions the person did that might have contributed to it.

Certainly, if and when something tragic happens to them or one of their loved ones, they will be totally blameless.

notjustyoureverydayaveragetrol 4 years, 1 month ago

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 1 month ago

krystyn is a great person. i really hope that the person who did this will open up. how can someone live with thierselves knowing that this was something they did. if they didn;t know at the time they haved to now, with all of the media. good luck on further progress krystyn hon. we love you

jayhawkca 4 years, 1 month ago

Let me get this straight. What a lot of you are saying is that we law-abiding citizens should be in our homes before the clock strikes midnight because there are rapists, drunk drivers, robbers, and murderers on the streets. Why do you want to give in? What we should really be saying is that we will find any rapist, drunk driver, robber, or murderer who hurts anyone in this town and make sure that individual is brought to justice. We should be saying that we have a right to exist in public at whatever time we like. Let's not concede our public space because there are people who don't follow the rules. Let's not blame a woman for something that was in no way her fault.

kubacker 4 years, 1 month ago

Hit and run is always a crime and the perpetrators must be caught and punished. On the otherhand, in every situation where a person is hit by a car there are usually bad decisions made and fault on both sides leading to the event.

Some people on here make good points - the woman a couple of months ago riding a bicycle home at 2 in the morning from drinking with friends downtown, and this Krystyn is walking home at 1:15 in the morning after drinking with some friends in the burbs.

Both of these were bad decisions, because anyone who has lived here more than 6 months should know that drunk/drugged driving is rappant in this city and there are likely about 100 drunk/drugged drivers on our streets every nite of the week in every part of town. I'm sure there are also that many drunk/drugged pedestrians (walkers) on our streets every nite.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 1 month ago

Could the LPD and the LJW work together by posting pictures of Mazda 3's they believe could be the culprit please.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 1 month ago

There are a ton of people in this town that prefer walking or cycling as opposed to driving. This is not new to Lawrence, Kansas. It is a respectable attribute about Lawrence.

On the other hand there are too many drivers in Lawrence,Kansas that believe pedestrians and cyclists have no business in the street for any reason. Where did this attitude originate? Crossing the street is an acceptable process. Cycling in the street is an acceptable mode of travel.

Parenting is one huge job however it is okay that Krystyn Renfro was out walking and visiting friends. It is NOT okay that a driver hit her for any reason. Certainly is not okay that the driver left the scene.

I assume most drivers in Lawrence understand there is a lot pedestrian and cycling traffic in Lawrence,Kansas and likely drive accordingly. This is defensive driving and smart. Walking and cycling in a college town is common place. Maybe some new arrivals need to be educated about life in college towns?

Cyclists,pedestrians and drivers all need to think defensive when out and about. Never ever believe that vehicles will stop just because people and cyclists have the right of way.

grimpeur 4 years, 1 month ago

The issue is the common cowards who use their cars as weapons--threatening, assaulting, injuring, killing and trying to intimidate others--and then flee because they think: 1) their victims won't catch them ; 2) they won't be identified and arrested; 3) they won't be seriously prosecuted if caught; 4) they'll be able to just say, "I didn't see them." Forget that.

These drivers are cowards. Drivers who turn tail and run away in cars, especially from peds or bikers they've hit or intentionally harassed, are disgusting, pathetic, tiny little cowards, too scared to face up without some kind of protection and escape. In fact, without their cars, these weaklings wouldn't have the snuff to act tough at all. It's sickening and sad. Extreme cowardice should be an aggravating factor in any crime.

WID 4 years, 1 month ago

would you posters who just want to make this young lady out to be at fault for what happened please just stop posting and leave it alone. this is an actual person being talked about and she's a mother of 3. show some decency for a change.

Bunny_Hotcakes 4 years, 1 month ago

I hate to pull a copy/paste, but I will. All this victim blaming is disgusting, but it is also pretty natural.

"People who believe that the world has to be fair may find it hard or impossible to accept a situation in which a person is unfairly and badly hurt. This leads to a sense that, somehow, the victim must have surely done 'something' to deserve their fate. Another theory entails the need to protect one's own sense of invulnerability. This inspires people to believe that rape only happens to those who deserve or provoke the assault (Schneider et al., 1994). This is a way of feeling safer. If the potential victim avoids the behaviors of the past victims then they themselves will remain safe and feel less vulnerable."

So go on ahead with your logical fallacy if it lets you feel like a superman. You're wrong. You're as vulnerable as the rest of us. And someone will be on this forum to take your place if you're the one who is victimized. Sleep tight, pal.

Granted, this example uses sexual assault as the crime the victim must have brought upon herself, but it still applies. A person can't do anything to deserve being a victim of a hit-and-run. You can't bring a hit-and-run on yourself by being a bad person or by being irresponsible. If she'd been raped, would you blame her for being out late? For wearing a short skirt? For consuming alcohol? (Let me answer that for you: yes, you probably would, because people blame rape victims for the attacks they suffer every single day.)

Women don't stop being people when they become mothers. She had a night out and was doing the responsible thing by not being behind the wheel. That doesn't mean she did anything to deserve being run over, nor did she bring it upon herself when that drunken coward left her to die in the street.

CharlesinCharge 4 years, 1 month ago

I find the term "man up" to be very sexist and biased. It assumes that men have certain roles, behaviors and beliefs that should uphold and conform to and at the same time assumes that women may not have them. Also it seems that it is assumed that the driver that hit her was a man and drunk. Last I knew, women can drive too and there is no proof that the driver was drunk.

Along the same thought it is not acceptable to say the victim should have been home with her kids being a "good mother".

angelsunwall 4 years, 1 month ago

I wonder as I read articles and then all the comments that people post sometimes if people really think about what they have typed before they post. If it were your wife, daughter or sister would you still make a comment about them "hanging out in the middle of the road like a deer"? I find it very sad with all of the negative crazy stuff alot of us deal with every day of our own lives that a person chooses to post what they do instead of something with hope or sympathy to most of the time to happens to be a victim of a horrible crime. I truly believe that many would not say and do some of the things they do if they knew it would directly affect their loved ones.......................If you want to post negative comments go to the robbery stories, murderers, child molesters and the true criminals out there not someone for whatever the circumstances was in the exact wrong place at the wrong time and is suffering the consequences of this horribe crime that happened to them.

mudd 4 years, 1 month ago

OutlawJHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Bruce-No I am not kidding, are you? I never stated she committed a crime, but believe she put herself at risk and made some questionable decisions (considering her age and her being a parent of three) for possibly drinking and being on the streets at that hour. This would have never happened had she been home with her children.

With that said, she IS the victim and I hope they find the suspect who DID commit the crime.

OutlawJHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

BruceWayne 4 years, 1 month ago

outlaw-you're kidding,right?

hit and run...I was not aware that was a crime in Lawrence Kansas.

slurms_makenzie 4 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps she was at a friend's house in the neighborhood and walked home after hanging for a while and few drinks. She was on foot, not out driving drunk. Can't a 33 year old woman have a few drinks with her neighbors and walk home without being chastised?

I don't know anyone involved in this, but why even put that comment up?

OutlawJHawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Sad situation. Fat chance someone will "man-up". Law enforcement, bodyshops and observant citizens will have to find this irresponsible POS drunk driver.

Not that this is her fault or she deserved to have this happen but one question bothers me, what was a "responsible" mother-of-three, 33 year-old (non-college aged) doing out on the streets and drinking at 1 am?