Opinion

Opinion

Muslim envoy spurs concern

February 20, 2010

President Obama’s appointment of Rashad Hussain, his deputy associate counsel, as special envoy to the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC), the second largest intergovernmental organization after the United Nations, charged with safeguarding and protecting “the interests of the Muslim world,” should be of serious concern to Congress and the American public. Especially since Hussain, a devout Muslim, has a history of participating in events connected with the Muslim Brotherhood, according to the Chicago Tribune, “the world’s most influential Islamic fundamentalist group” whose goal is to create Muslim states throughout the world.

In 1991, a memo written by Mohamed Akram for the Shura Council of the Muslim Brotherhood spelled out the objective of the organization. Akram said the Muslim Brotherhood “must understand that their work in America is a kind of grand Jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and ‘sabotaging’ its miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and God’s religion is made victorious over all other religions.” I am unable to find any “revelation” that has repealed that objective. Quite the contrary. Terrorists seem on track for implementing it.

The president proudly announced that Hussain is a Hafiz, someone who has completely memorized the Qur’an, but he did not spell out what qualifies Hussain to meet with foreign leaders at a diplomatic level in a role that approximates that of an ambassador. According to Jihad Watch (www.jihadwatch.org/2010/02/new-obama-envoy-to-oic-has-long-history-of-dalliances-with-muslim-brotherhood.html), a blog directed by American author Robert Spencer, which “aims to bring to public attention the role of jihad theology and ideology in the modern world,” Hussain’s ties to the Muslim Brotherhood date back to his days at Yale Law School.

Ask yourself: If you or your group were interested in damaging or destroying the United States, wouldn’t infiltration at every possible level of government and culture be an effective strategy? You would build your schools and mosques, some of which teach and preach Jihad; you would penetrate the government; you would demand special rights because of your religion — such as no body scanners for Muslim travelers at airports and prayer rooms and foot washing facilities at shopping malls; you would seek to change the foreign policy of the United States because you hate Israel and all Jews (and those “cross-worshipping” Christians) and you would dare the U.S. government to monitor your speeches and associations because you want to keep America’s guard lower than it would be for, say, a spy from communist China.

This was roughly the plot of the creepy movie, “The Manchurian Candidate” in which a crazed woman uses her brainwashed son to help her overthrow the U.S. government so that she might impose her ideology on the country. Unlike the film, this plot is real.

As expected, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, described as America’s largest Muslim civil liberties organization, is thrilled with Hussain’s appointment. In a statement, CAIR said Hussain “will be in a position to strengthen positive outreach to the Islamic world and will be able to provide the president with direct access to the views and concerns of Muslims worldwide.” Is there anyone in the dark about those “views and concerns”? Haven’t they been pretty obvious for the last, oh, 40 years?

In an age of terrorism when the president’s own chief counterterrorism adviser, John Brennan, compares released terrorists who return to Jihad with released American criminals who return to crime, it is unsettling to see someone with Hussain’s background representing the United States to nations that may harbor or fund terrorists and want to destroy Israel and America. Franklin Roosevelt would not have named Charles Lindbergh, a suspected Nazi sympathizer, personal envoy to Berlin.

It is unfortunate that the U.S. Senate is not required to confirm special envoys. Hussain should be asked about his ideology and associations. If he is to represent America, he should represent what America stands for and not a personal ideological or religious agenda that is not just un-American, but anti-American.

— Cal Thomas is a columnist for Tribune Media Services. tmseditors@tribune.com

Comments

jaywalker 5 years, 1 month ago

" such as no body scanners for Muslim travelers at airports"

Yeah, I heard that a number of Muslim orgs. have protested the body scanners; made me laugh out loud, and incredulously at that.

“[Hussain] will be in a position to strengthen positive outreach to the Islamic world and will be able to provide the president with direct access to the views and concerns of Muslims worldwide.”

Actually, that's how I see it, too. Who better to place in such a position than someone who talks the talk? We don't want some diplomat from Kansas attempting to broker peace with the Middle East, do we? And I'm confident that the President has had him vetted properly. Come on, Cal, we can't be so reactionary over such things. Ever heard of McCarthy?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 1 month ago

"Now, Mr. Coyote, I expect you to keep close watch on this chicken coop." Yeah, that'll work well.

kugrad 5 years, 1 month ago

You don't think ulta-right-wing evangelical Christianist Cal Thomas is a bigot do you?

jaywalker 5 years, 1 month ago

"Specific members of various cultures should "Talk the Talk" among 'Their' own?"

No idea what you mean by "specific members", though I guess being selected as an envoy is specific. And it makes sense to me to have someone represent the U.S. in nations they have intimate knowledge with and can explain the subtleties of a culture and the thought process behind moves.

" I see. But, what about the PAD vernacular 'Diversity' makes us stronger?"

What do you mean? Are you suggesting your idea of "diversity" would be to have Bubba Joe from 'Bama as the envoy to this council?

weeslicket 5 years, 1 month ago

HELP !! HELP !! the sky is falling !! the sky is falling !!

grammaddy 5 years, 1 month ago

And the fear-mongering continues. Contrary to what we've been told for most of the last 10 years, all Muslims are NOT out to get us!

SwissAm 5 years, 1 month ago

First off I don't like Obama, nor do I like Bush and I wish Palin would disappear in Alaska. But what does it matter if Obama is a muslim or a jew or a christian or a catholic??? I though thats what made America great was our freedom of religion. Our founding fathers sure as the heck were not christian nor catholic. If George Washington can be a mason then why can't Obama be a muslim? I think some of you need to meet a muslim. They are actually very polite, respectful people, well at least the ones I know. And like most people of other faiths, they don't follow every rule to the T and bend a few rules here and there to fit in with the modern world.

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

"Hussain, a devout Muslim, has a history of participating in events connected with the Muslim Brotherhood, according to the Chicago Tribune, “the world’s most influential Islamic fundamentalist group” whose goal is to create Muslim states throughout the world."

So he has been at events where these people who are involved in this fundamentalist group were at as well -- I guess that must mean he is one of them! How stupid. Cal, once again, reaching for the scary, non-White, non-Christian card.

barryp, as to your avatar, trust me - NO! We do not miss George W. Bush! He was the Worst President Ever! Even if people don't like Obama, they wouldn't miss Bush, the Worst President Ever who is responsible for crashing the country! You are just upset because Obama hasn't been able to fix what others broke before him.

Now, say something about posers and healthcare and darwin. It is always so meaningful.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 1 month ago

Obama does what he does because he can. ♣Free The Blob♣

leedavid 5 years, 1 month ago

99% of all muslims are not terrorist. 99% of all terrorist are muslim. The sooner we figure that out...the better we might be. Unless of course someone can show us where a 65 year old African American woman blows herself up....till then I think we are safe keeping an eye on muslims.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps we shouldn't recognize the OIC at all, and insist it be disbanded: http://www.aclj.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=3028

their international law against "defamation of islam" would increase penalties in islamic countries for people who actually try to exercise religious freedom and become Christian, or turn to other faiths.

Avery Pearson 5 years, 1 month ago

What if our president was Muslim? I would still support him. As Carl Marx said, "Religion is the opiate of the people" Can't we get past religion and start living?

Newell_Post 5 years, 1 month ago

Jonathan Kealing:

Is "suggest removal" an option for this Cal Thomas screed? His equation of Islam with Nazism would be a TOS-able violation if he were a mere commenter. I am neither a Muslim nor a Nazi, but this is beneath even Cal's usual standard of bigotry.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

Who cares if he is a Muslim or not? Why does his personal religion matter?

I'm not seeing much difference between the fuss that was made about Kennedy being Catholic (He's in league with the Pope! Gasp!) and the fuss that is being incorrectly made about Obama (He's a seekrit Moooooslim! Gasp!).

black_watch 5 years, 1 month ago

Allright, freepers. Go back to your hidey holes now, you've had your fun.

who left the basement door open, anyways?

And what's with all the tinfoil down there?

Obama is not the antichrist. He's not out to destroy America. He's not beaming secret messages into your brain if you don't wear your insulated hat. The end.

Newell_Post 5 years, 1 month ago

When I first saw this item, I misread the headline. I thought it said:

Muslim envy spurs concern

I thought: "I wonder that Muslim envy is? It is like other forms of envy?" So, I opened the article. Then I saw it was Cal Thomas and I knew it was crap, whatever it was about.

kansanbygrace 5 years, 1 month ago

Uh, a former business partner, a Sunni Muslim since he embraced the belief a few decades ago, says an adult becomes a Muslim by belief and proclamation. He's studied more than many who were "born to" the faith, and I find that when he sends me to the literature, his grasp is pretty accurate.

The traditional Jewish descendence is from the MOTHER's family. If your mother is a Jew, you are too, according to my neighbor, who is very orthodox and teaches their faith weekly. Maybe there are other versions he hasn't heard of.

It's hard to be "apostate" when you've never been a Muslim.

I'm not the expert, I'm not sure you guys are either.

Go Porch.......

mickeyrat 5 years, 1 month ago

Cal is great. Having him in the paper is somewhat like having a magic time machine/crystal ball... if you want to know what someone might have said had they been living in 1938, you just ask Cal. What a visionary!

denak 5 years, 1 month ago

I highly suspect that, for Cal, the only "good" Muslim would be a dead Muslim.

LoveThsLife 5 years, 1 month ago

I am so glad Obama is putting someone in the Middle East that ACTUALLY understands the religion, culture and issues going on there.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 1 month ago

Am I the only one that thinks it's completely annoying when people type (laughter) after everything they say?