Archive for Friday, February 19, 2010

KU’s Collins a proud father

Kansas guard Sherron Collins pumps up the Allen Fieldhouse crowd after teammate Elijah Johnson's dunk against Fort Hays State during the first half of Tuesday's exhibition at Allen Fieldhouse.

February 19, 2010

Collins to put name in KU record books

With one more victory, Sherron Collins will go down as having the best four-year record in the history of KU basketball. The Jayhawks take on Colorado in the Fieldhouse Saturday. Enlarge video

Sherron Collins, whose daughter Sharee’ Monea Collins was born right before the start of Monday’s Kansas-Texas A&M game, cradled his child for the first time on Tuesday on a day-trip back home to Chicago.

“She’s going to have me wrapped around her finger. Yeah, she’ll have me,” Collins said of his baby girl.

“I probably already did,” he added, asked if he’ll spoil Sharee’. “I couldn’t put her down.”

Collins, who has a son, Sherr’mari who turns 3 in April, said he simply adores being a dad.

“It’s always special, but (my) first girl, it’s touching, beautiful. I couldn’t ask for more,” Collins said. “It’s incredible. To hold her ... if it’s a boy, you just grab ’em and as they get older you get rough on ’em and play with him a lot, but you’ve got to be sensitive (with daughter).

“It was great. It touched me,” he added of the experience.

Collins grinned when asked if thinking about his daughter caused him to miss seven of nine shots and commit five turnovers against one assist in Monday’s 59-54 win at Texas A&M.

“You could make that excuse. (But) it had nothing to do with that. I just didn’t have a good game,” Collins said.

KU coach Bill Self indicated Collins needed to become more aggressive in taking the ball to the basket.

“I think I got too comfortable with all the (scoring) help I’ve got, just relying on them. I think I took it a little lightly. I’ll be more aggressive,” Collins said.

A victory over Colorado on Saturday would give Collins 123 career victories. He and Brady Morningstar would tie Raef LaFrentz, Billy Thomas and C.B. McGrath (1995-98) as the KU players with the most victories in a four-year span.

“It’d be a great honor. There have been a lot of great players who have played at Kansas,” Collins said.

He has just three home games remaining — 3 p.m. Saturday versus Colorado, 8 p.m. Monday against Oklahoma and 7 p.m. on March 3 against Kansas State.

“Waterfalls,” Collins said, asked if he’d cry while giving a postgame speech after the KSU game.

Title within reach

KU, which leads second-place Kansas State by three games with five to play, is closing in on its sixth consecutive league title, which would tie for most consecutive conference crowns in school history. Phog Allen’s Jayhawks won six straight from 1922 to ’27.

UCLA is the all-time leader in consecutive titles won — 13 — from 1967-79. Gonzaga is one win from claiming its 10th straight Big West crown.

Comments

Deja Coffin 4 years, 1 month ago

cheeseburger, I do agree with that. I also do wonder how Collins will be able to financially support his kids through college. I know his future is very promising but doctor's appointments don't wait until the NBA. Where do college basketball (or any sport) players get money to live on? My husband said probably student loans.... is that how it works?

scrambledeggs 4 years, 1 month ago

DRsmith 4 years, 1 month ago

His kids will never hurt as long as he doesn't end up having 10 more by time he is 25.

txron 4 years, 1 month ago

HIS KIDS WILL NEVER HURT PLAY ON SHERRON

cheeseburger 4 years, 1 month ago

Deja Jane -

While I disagree with your first statement (we both had good jobs and had established a home before having children), I do respect you for not relying on taxpayers to pay for your kids. So many people today seem content to pop out kids with no means to pay for them and fully intent on collecting SRS funds to pay for their responsibility.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 1 month ago

Cheeseburger, if you wait until you have enough money to have a kid, you'll never have kids. Of course use birth control and be smart about it but I had my first daughter before I could probably "afford" a kid. I'm proud to say that while not rich, my children have never gone without the things they need and probably most of their wants. I've never used the government to pay for my children and while we would enjoy the extra income, am a stay-at-home mother. Yes it'd be nice to have a little nest egg for when you have children but if not it's up to the parent to work twice as hard to make sure that child is the first priority and well cared for.

cheeseburger 4 years, 1 month ago

alm77 - maybe, just maybe, a person ought to figure out how they are going to support children before they actually have them.

alm77 4 years, 1 month ago

scrambled, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that pushing him to pay child support now wouldn't be as prudent as patiently waiting for him to start his career.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey, if he takes care of those two little ones, whether married or not, that's what counts.

scrambledeggs 4 years, 1 month ago

Whatever happened to birth control? Is he married? Is he paying child support and how does he do it? Is this a good representative for the team?

barrypenders 4 years, 1 month ago

Making babies is a no brainer. Getting that second NCAA trophy will be the coop de grace for his action to date.

Stimulus, Baby Daddy, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

cheeseburger 4 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone even know if the boy and the girl have the same mother? There's not a single word in the article about a wife/girlfriend/acquaintance/stranger.

missmia 4 years, 1 month ago

autie- you tell cheeseburger not to assume he's married, then you assume he's not a good father figure or monogamous person. a little hypocritical, don't you think?

Congrats to Sherron!

autie 4 years, 1 month ago

don't go all assuming stuff there, cheeseburger. Uh, yeah. I'm sure he is the perfect role model of the monogamous upright father type.

cheeseburger 4 years, 1 month ago

Didn't realize he was married.

sundancewierdo 4 years, 1 month ago

Congrats Sherron! Good luck to you!

edjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I think the fans will be just as emotional as Sherron on Senior Night. Not just the greatest point guard since Jo Jo White but one heck of a good person.