Archive for Friday, February 19, 2010

House approves bill to waive marriage license fees for the poor

February 19, 2010

— The Kansas House has approved a measure that would waive a $69 marriage fee for couples who can prove they can't afford it.

The House passed the bill Thursday.

State Rep. Joe Patton, a Republican from Topeka, says he introduced the bill to help ensure that state policy helps build strong Kansas families.

Under the legislation, couples who can't pay the fee will need to file a poverty affidavit to have the fee waived.

Comments

grimpeur 4 years, 2 months ago

Can someone remind me again why/how the state got into the marriage business? Why the state uses marital status to grant or withhold benefits to families of state employees? Why married people get a different tax status? Why the pandering to those participating in an institution debased and destroyed by centuries of hetero participants? Why all the bigotry and "defense of marriage" baloney when the real threat to marriage is divorce? Why all the classist claptrap? Every child, whether born to a poor or wealthy family, is another tax exemption, so even the well-off who overbreed are sucking the public teat. Send your kid to a private, tax-exempt school? You're helping yourself to my money, which allows your kid's school to keep tuition lower. You're welcome. Oh, yeah...one other thing: don't ever complain about taxes to me.

It's clear that marital status has little to do with family stability or outcome, let alone any person's value as an employee or citizen. The state should get out of the marriage business or allow any committed couple to participate, no matter the fee.

kmp 4 years, 2 months ago

I wonder how many of these "poverty stricken " people will go on to pay for a regular wedding and not at the courthouse, either. If you can afford a wedding you can afford the license fee.

blue73harley 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm all for the waiver if they will kick in a free novelty lighter and some K2.

Mariposa 4 years, 2 months ago

Ah, no reply to my posts, eh? Well, I am not surprised. I will stick to the KU paper where "my kind" belong. Rather sad the way that students are treated by some. Are they hated or envied because they are getting an university education?

Mariposa 4 years, 2 months ago

lawrenceRezident I have a job now. It is just that I choose not to spend my money on those things. I put money in a savings account if I can. I am studying hard and working hard so that when I graduate from University I will qualify for a good paying job. No one will be "footing" any bills for me. I do not understand your anger. On reflection it sounds to me as though the person who sponsored this bill is a bit frantic to make certain that no one is "living in sin." Waste of time and energy if you ask me, but no harm done.

svnelson87 4 years, 2 months ago

What about the gay couples that want to get married that can actually afford this? Ridiculous bill. We should be focusing on more important things.

Edward Coan 4 years, 2 months ago

barrypenders (anonymous) says... The Government already pays them for having babies, food, shelter, and incidentals. Why not bless them with some Government paper for the marriage ritual.

For the first time barrypenders I agree with you. Why do couples get married without any regard of the financial resources needed to raise a family? Its like well we are in love and we'll make it work somehow. Sorry but that doesn't work without a plan.

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 2 months ago

Mariposa:

Wait till you get out of school and then maybe you can afford it! Don't make the rest of us foot your bill because you want something!!!!!!

lawrenceRezident 4 years, 2 months ago

If you can't afford to pay that small fee then you probably are unemployed and/or on welfare. Sure why not give more hand outs... Doesn't seem like we can do enough huh? Why not just let every bum in town get a free house, car, and never have to pay any bills... Let the working class people take care of them! Get real! Don't marry and/or breed if you can't afford it! I'm tired of paying for stupid !@#$ like this!

Mariposa 4 years, 2 months ago

Not so fast there, Wilbur, I am a poor student and I do not buy cigarettes, beer or bottled water.

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 2 months ago

The guy who favors this believes in it to promote strong families. Well, go into it poor and come out poor, unlike during the depression. Even then there was some kind of fee, I do believe.

Since he is from Topeka though, he supports this because no one in Topeka has any money.

What a disgrace that legislators have stooped so low to come up with something like this just to have something to do.

Even :"poor" people have money for cigarettes, beer and bottled water. They can pay something for the license!

Dixie Jones 4 years, 2 months ago

ok so lets pay to let them get married, so they can go have babies so WE can support them.If they dont already have 5 or 8 kids. Is this what is our house worries about. i think we need to rethink who we have in the house..

Mariposa 4 years, 2 months ago

Why assume that poor people get married because of a pregnancy? Do not the poor love as well and as deep as anyone else? The cost of a marriage is in the emotional commitment you make to each other and to the children. Everyone bears the costs of shelter, food, clothes, etc. I think that what is being said that if you cannot afford the fee for the marriage license how can you afford to pay the rent or buy groceries. Frankly, I believe that there must be financial stability in order for a marriage to work, and there are poor people that live on a budget and know how to manage their affairs. I have a friend that was in a dating relationship that was getting serious. She ended it when she realized that he was simply incapable of managing money. I think it was the right decision for her to make. Marriage should be taken very, very seriously and should never be undertaken lightly. There could be two stable, highly motivated people who are both working minimum wage jobs and they are living on a budget, but only just. They want to get married and have a family. What should they do?

Edward Coan 4 years, 2 months ago

"We will also make abortions illegal and limit the amount of kids you can or can't have. You can drink alcohol as much as you want and kill someone behind the wheel, but less dangerous drugs like weed and K2 will not be tolerated. We don't want to end the lobby money we get if we put restrictions on alcohol and smoking".

rooster 4 years, 2 months ago

This is all because the idiot republicans. Dont forget this when you vote people.

Edward Coan 4 years, 2 months ago

Help build strong families...In other words we are against gay marriage, divorce, and straight couples living together but not married.

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 2 months ago

When you are single the amount of aid you can receive is less than the aid you can receive married. Plus in a Conservative state like Kansas the religious nutz want to believe people are not having sex out of wedlock so..... now there is no excuse for people to not get married its Free.

madameX 4 years, 2 months ago

50year, I already said I disagree with the bill, what I don't understand is what expense marriage imposes that being single doesn't. Life costs what it costs depending on your circimstances, I don't see what a couple has to "afford" in order to be married other than the fee. It's rhetorical question, really.

beatrice 4 years, 2 months ago

I still believe it should cost $70 to submit a waiver petition.

barrypenders 4 years, 2 months ago

It's important for the PAD Government to keep a paper trail for all the of poor babies coming down the pipe. Humans are the most prolific reproducers on the planet. Until babies are 'chipped' to keep track of them, paper will have to do. Allocation of food supplies and lawns to be mowed, need tracking.

Stimulus, Chippy Track, Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless you all

Peaty 4 years, 2 months ago

"Maybe marriage should cost as much as a divorce, just so both parties can be absolutely sure..."

A friend told me the reason a divorce costs so much is, "It's worth it" :)

Happy Friday...

50YearResident 4 years, 2 months ago

madameX, just how many of your single friends do not have $30 to thier name? If you and your intended do not have $60 between you, you sure shouldn't get married. That's only $30 each. Now do you understand? When the $1000+ maturnity bill comes in less than 9 months, should the State waive that fee too? Don't take this personally.

barrypenders 4 years, 2 months ago

Stimulus, Poor Babies, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless you all

madameX 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree that this is silly, but I don't get the "if you can't afford a license you can't afford a marriage" reasoning. How much does a marriage cost, exactly? Marriage hasn't changed my living expenses at all.

I do wonder if the court clerk will now have to have a fill-in poverty affidavit availible with the application for the marriage license. If not, it sort of defeats the purpose of waiving the fee. Most people aren't going to know how to prepare one and it would probably cost about the same as the fee to have an attorney's office do it.

tao7 4 years, 2 months ago

None2... the common sense party! Sign me up! No politicians allowed!! No TV reality idiots allowed! $69 to join

Lenette Hamm 4 years, 2 months ago

Once more, a senseless act by our beloved politicians. If you can't afford the license, you sure as hell can't afford the marriage. I think sundanceweirdo is on the right track, too...

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 2 months ago

There is a serious disconnect between the Republican elite ruling the Kansas legislature and reality.

And I would question the sanity of the Democrats as well.

You are not helping the poor.

I have been poor. You are not helping anyone.

Melissa Sigler 4 years, 2 months ago

sundanceweirdo...

interesting thought. seriously.

none2 4 years, 2 months ago

Anybody who voted for this should be kicked out of office. The state has revenue issues, issues with over spending, and THIS is what they spend their time working on? How stupid can they be?

Imagine if a Kansas family had issues with employment, health care, schooling, high taxes, etc. but they decided that the most important thing to talk about during family discussion time was whether they could buy their daughter higher quality brands of lipstick and fingernail polish. That is the level of stupidity that our government has fallen to. What are they smoking???

I sure wish there was an alternative besides the democrats & the republicans -- and I'm not talking about the greens nor the libertarians. I'd like a party with some common sense.

none2 4 years, 2 months ago

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 2 months ago

Will the waiver be valid for "covenant" marriages?

Page not found .The requested page could not be found.

♣Free The Blog♣

sundancewierdo 4 years, 2 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 2 months ago

That's a great deal. But aren't they concerned that with marriage licenses free for the poor, they won't be able to restrain themselves? Shouldn't anyone getting a "free" license be required to have a "covenant" marriage?

50YearResident 4 years, 2 months ago

Idiots! If they can't afford $60 then they shouldn't be getting married. It's as simple as that.

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 2 months ago

Why doesn't the Journal World print a copy of the poverty waiver? After all, maybe the Journal World would allow the poor to fill it out and get a free obituary, since the Journal World now charges $150 for subscribers and $250 for non subscribers. Even a poor person can get married for free, they should be able to get buried for free.

What's wrong with America?