Archive for Friday, February 19, 2010

Brutal winter drives Lawrence golfing community into dormancy

February 19, 2010

Nearly 10 times as many rounds of golf were played at Lawrence’s four 18-hole golf courses in the opening seven weeks of 2009 compared with this year, according to figures obtained from local club professionals.

The decline has nothing to do with any sort of protest against Tiger Woods’ love life, and everything to do with the weather.

“I do not really remember a worse winter,” Eagle Bend head pro John Morris said. “I remember some big snows, but not as cold, and I’ve been here since 1969.”

Eagle Bend assistant pro Greg Dannevik said he has worked in the golf business for 19 years.

“I can remember some long winters in this part of the country, but this has been the worst,” he said.

How does he keep his game in shape?

“I don’t,” Dannevik said, before revealing he shot two-under par Thursday. “ … That was my first 18-hole round since (Dec. 1, 2009).”

Dannevik said 946 rounds of golf were played at Eagle Bend from Jan. 1, 2009, to Feb. 19, 2009. For the same dates this year, he said, 80 rounds were played.

David Dunn, head pro at Alvamar Golf Course, said rounds were down from 1,400 to 170 for that time period. At Alvamar’s private course, Dunn said, rounds dipped from 653 to 96.

At Lawrence Country Club, 591 rounds were played during that time frame in 2009, and just 27 rounds this year, according to assistant pro Eric Magnuson.

In all, that’s 3,590 rounds a year ago through Feb. 19, and 373 rounds this year.

Ed White, owner of The Orchards, a nine-hole executive golf course, did not have records readily available from last year, but said just 35 rounds have been played this year.

Comments

steveguy 4 years, 10 months ago

I golf twice a week with temps in the 70's here in arizona. You need to just become a snow bird.

fastwalker 4 years, 10 months ago

i recommend golfers crawl into a ditch this time of year for safety.

Bill Lee 4 years, 10 months ago

I'd go with orange balls over white ones this time of year.

50YearResident 4 years, 10 months ago

Hip waders would be a requirement, and something to see exactly where the ball lands as it will be burried in the mud. No bounce and roll this winter.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

"Brutal winter"??? Oh lord, I'm laughing so hard I'm going to pee my pants. You call this brutal? Wimps, wimps, wimps.... I always thought golf was a seasonal sport. You know, when the snow melts in late March , you go out and recover your balls, and resume playing with them?

Jeremiah Jefferson 4 years, 10 months ago

yeah, im pretty sure I could care less about the golf busines. Waste of time and land.

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

Sell a couple of the golf courses and donate the money to Save Our Schools.

Eric Neuteboom 4 years, 10 months ago

I'd sure love to see a record of that call to Ed. I bet his answer to having records from last year was some combination of "hell" and "no!"

mikeisthename 4 years, 10 months ago

This article is the equivalent of hitting your forehead with your hand saying "I could've had a V8". No kidding that the weather has affected the golf game.
Don't golfers have anything else to do this winter?
Here's one suggestion. Find a mini golf place and practice your putting.
Here's another one. Stop whining and wait until weather is great for it.

ksarmychick 4 years, 10 months ago

But wait...shouldn't the city of lawrence build them an all roof inclosed 18 hole golf course so that they can play whenever they want? Since we cater to everyone elses needs, we should make them feel welcome too!