Archive for Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tyshawn Taylor will make return to starting lineup

Taylor makes return to starting lineup

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor points to injured teammate Markieff Morris after intentionally fouling Kansas State guard Denis Clemente to stop play during the first half Saturday, Jan. 30, 2010 at Bramlage Coliseum.

February 18, 2010, 12:36 p.m. Updated February 19, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

GameDay Cram Session: Colorado

KUSports.com online editor Jesse Newell and Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan take a look at what to expect from the Kansas basketball team's matchup against Colorado. Enlarge video

Sometimes a starter, sometimes a sixth man, versatile Kansas University combo guard Tyshawn Taylor will start Saturday’s KU-Colorado game, set for a 3 p.m. tip in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I’m happy. I’m just going to try to make the best of the opportunity,” said Taylor, who has started 15 games and come off the bench in 11 others during the 2009-10 campaign.

Taylor — he’s said in the past that he prefers starting over relieving — at least temporarily replaces Brady Morningstar, who started the last nine games. Taylor opened the season as a seven-game starter only to give way to Elijah Johnson for a pair of contests before winning the job back, and losing it again.

“This is not a reflection of Brady playing poorly,” KU coach Bill Self said of junior guard Morningstar, who has 19 assists against three turnovers the last five games, but has hit just six of 22 shots in that same span.

“I love coaching Brady. He’s been great for us. Whether he’s coming off the bench or a starter he’s played very well for us. Tyshawn is a guy who makes plays you can’t coach. He’s a difference maker from a speed standpoint and that kind of stuff. I think we’ve got to get more out of Tyshawn moving forward for us to have a chance to do what we want to do,” Self added, noting the move also was made to add “more speed and more oomph starting the game.”

“He (Taylor) has to become one of the premier players on our team and doing this with him I’m hoping will help him get to that point,” Self said. “And I know it’s not going to hurt Brady. That’s what we’re going to do short-term wise to see if that works out a little bit better.”

Taylor scored four points and had two assists against one turnover while playing 22 minutes in Monday’s 59-54 victory at Texas A&M.

“I didn’t mind coming off the bench. I did my best coming off the bench,” said Taylor, a sophomore from Hoboken, N.J.

“I think it was a motivation factor, just to see how much he could get out of me coming off the bench,” Taylor added of his stint as sixth man, which had its stormy moments including one in which he told reporters he was unsure of his role on KU’s team.

“I think I’ve been doing some good things, playing good defense. I am going to continue that as a starter. I don’t think it’s that big a deal. I think it’s more about who finishes. I do like starting, but coming off good games off the bench, I want to do the same things starting.”

Self indicated: “From my vantage point we’ve got his attention, undivided. He’s trying real hard. I thought our team was best the last two games when Tyshawn was in the game.”

Senior Sherron Collins thinks the move will benefit soph guard Taylor, who averages 6.8 points a game with 83 assists against 48 turnovers.

“Brady is the type of player, he’ll give the same effort no matter if he starts or comes off the bench,” Collins said. “It won’t affect Brady at all. I think it’ll give Tyshawn a confidence boost, a chip back on his shoulder. I think it (not starting) feels like someone took it from him. I know he brought it on himself. I think it helps the team a lot when Tyshawn plays well.”

Comments

drnater 4 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn really looked like a cancer to the team today, maybe your right we should cut him. lmao

drnater 4 years, 1 month ago

Haha, grandma I didnt realize i had to be on here for years to have an opinion that matters. Just because I havent posted on here doesnt mean that I havent been paying attention for a few years. I just recently decided to actually register so I could actually voice my opinion. I find it funny that you would call me a missouri fan (actually I dont, since you are so quick to judge Tyshawn on here without knowing him) without knowing anything about me. I have been an avid KU fan for as long as I can remember. Heck with your bringing up my post history you kind of sound like a KSU fan, with how they try and bash KU fans just because they dont actually go to KU. Morningstar is a role player, nothing flashy, but keeps the wheels turning. Tyshawn makes plays, much like Sherron does, if you dont remember during Sherrons first few years (even now) people complained because he was to wreckless with the ball, and needed to make better decisions. This sounds a lot like a player today, and about the complaining, what young adult do you know that doesnt complain every once in a while? Michael Beasley went into a depression in the NBA as a millionaire at this same age. Let the man play, he is still young and has a lot of upside, its like Coach says, the only thing stopping Tyshawn from being great is Tyshawn himself, his biggest enemy is his own self.

Number_1_Grandma 4 years, 1 month ago

Who gives a rats rectum what you think drnater with you 11 posts since Feb 5 2010. You haven't been on here enough for your opinion to matter. Probably a missouri fan!

Morningstar deserves to start and play. The team plays better with him than with Tyshawn. Tyshawn will still complain about 'how much he touches the ball' or 'how much the coaches are getting on him' and 'how he should be in the NBA'. Squeaky wheel got greased here, plain and simple.

FanSinceTed 4 years, 1 month ago

TT should be starting. Brady is a role player off the bench and TReed should play before him. More than one of the b-ball players was involved in the fight w the football team. Who cares? Brady is the one with the recklessness-DUI. By the way, Ryan Robertson was a McDonald's All-American and held the team together his soph year when Jacque was injured. Brady is one of Self's favorite players, which is fine, but at 24, this should be his last year and let next year's red shirt players with more talent receive the playing time.

drnater 4 years, 1 month ago

Haha, grandma do you like the morris twins? Are they a cancer as well? cuz if i remember right there was video footage of them either throwing or being thrown down stairs in the fight as well. Funny how you dont mention that. You must have a personal vendetta against him. Its a shame that we are so quick to judge a 19-20 year old and want him cut from the team. I vote that since grandma cant differentiate between facebook and twitter, and has compared Tyshawn to J.R. Giddens on no basis at all other than one got stabbed and the other broke his thumb in a fight, that we cut her loose as a fan, she is a cancer to all jayhawks.... See how rediculous this makes you sound?

weegee 4 years, 1 month ago

Grandma--Do you honestly believe that TT is responsible for the football team's losses? And you might do a little research and learn the difference between Twitter and Facebook.

Number_1_Grandma 4 years, 1 month ago

Phogfan86 (anonymous) says... Grandma, I'd like to know where you're getting your "facts."

Just because the kid doesn't behave the way you want him to doesn't mean he's locker room cancer.

Phog,

Behave the way I want? No, try coach Self wants and the University of Kansas!

Have you forgotten already, the fight with football team? ( By the way, football team was 5-0 until this fight and lost the remainder) How about lipping off on twitter, not once but twice to where coach Self had him close his account?

It's nice to be a fan of KU but don't have your head-in-the-phog with this kid. Another J.R. Giddons for sure!

Jim Williamson 4 years, 1 month ago

Grandma, I'd like to know where you're getting your "facts."

Uhjh 4 years, 1 month ago

I’m glad to have Tyshawn in the starting lineup. He is a talented athletic and knows the opportunity he has. He is able to help the Hawks improve down the stretch.

Number_1_Grandma 4 years, 1 month ago

You might be right about Brady VS Ryan Robertson comparison. But equally right is Tyshawn is just like J.R Giddons was, to this team. Cut him loose.

Jim Williamson 4 years, 1 month ago

"Ryan Robertson isn't even in the same league as Brady."

Someone help me back into my chair.

By his fourth year in the program, Ryan Robertson was averaging 12.8 ppg. and 3.2 assists. He'd already been named honorary mention all-conference twice, all-Big 12 bench team (as voted by coaches) and AP all-underrated team.

In his fourth year in the program, Brady Morningstar is averaging 5.1 ppg and less than 2 assists.

I like Brady, too, but don't overvalue him. He is a hard-working role player, a good guy in the locker room and a tremendous asset to a team. Nothing more.

Brave21Hawk 4 years, 1 month ago

This move will help Sherron more than it will Tyshawn or hurt Brady. Brady will be great coming off the bench but it will allow Sherron to move back to the 2 guard and not have to bring the ball up all the time. I haven't been impressed with Tyshawn and feel given time Elijia will be playing the point guard next year but for now, it's a good move.

Let's get that 16-0 conference mark and march on to the NCAA title.

BigAl 4 years, 1 month ago

Who should I support on this? Opinions expressed by people on a message board or a National Championship Winning Coach? This decision couldn't be much easier.

Larry Bauerle 4 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn turnover. 'nuff said

Coach Self's decision. 'nuff said

mudshark 4 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn turnover. 'nuff said

edjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Ryan Robertson isn't even in the same league as Brady.

edjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Get off Knight's back. He has 50 years of coaching experience and you have none.

Armen Kurdian 4 years, 1 month ago

This really surprises me...Brady seems to be the kind of player like Ryan Robertson was. He didn't stuff the stat sheet, but did so many things on the court that helped the rest of the team. This move really surprises me. It has to be a speed/fastbreak thing. Taylor is as fast as anyone on this team, but unless I've missed something, I haven't seen an improvement in decision-making on his part.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 1 month ago

"Tyshawn has angered me more this year than any player we've had since C.J. Giles"

Angered? Unless you are Bill Self posting anonymously, I hope you use that term figuratively.

Rickyonealku 4 years, 1 month ago

If the subline is in ERROR then why not just delete the comments/article.... It really does not matter who Coach Bill Starts, to this point in the season the Kansas Basketball team is trying to win a Big 12 regular season title number 6 in a row. Then the Big 12 Tournament and marching on into the BIG DANCE. BEAT COLORADO.....and Rock Chalk Jayhawks....

Lee Eldridge 4 years, 1 month ago

I trust Self on this one. I think this will also be good for Sherron, who appears a bit worn down right now. If Taylor plays more, Sherron slides to the shooting guard and expends less energy.

opie81 4 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn has angered me more this year than any player we've had since C.J. Giles...but, this is a great move by Coach Self because our offense must get its edge back. Tyshawn's speed will facilitate this by making the ball move around the court faster, and provide more versatility in the high-low to give the bigs more opportunities, as well as with the outlets to our shooters on the perimeter. Puddlegum puts it well when he says that "Tyshawn will become a great penetration machine". All fans worried about Tyshawn's tendency to make stupid decisions will be comforted in knowing that Brady is still likely to close games out for us due to his patience and intelligence. The first of the game needs to be about establishing offensive tempo, and we've failed to do this in previous weeks.

Another great decision Coach Self! Hopefully Tyshawn doesn't make you regret it.

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 1 month ago

Morningstar is a starter and did not score in the last game. Our offense has been struggling. Maybe it will help. The over the top critical of Tyshawn does get old. Sure, he makes a bad play or two a game, but he can electrify our team as well.

I got nothing against Morningstar, either. He's needed but will play at a different time in the game. Self has lots of weapons and likes to use them in different ways. Nice problem to have.

puddleglum 4 years, 1 month ago

Brady makes a lot of plays happen by tapping the ball to another player or interrupting the opposing team's offense.

Tyshawn will become a great penetration machine

Maxandwillie 4 years, 1 month ago

crunch time i prefer the ball in Brady's hands over Taylor. he is a poor decision waiting to happen.

ralphralph 4 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn makes plays you can't coach - true enough; he also makes plays you can't watch .... think crossing half court, leaping into the air, then looking around for ideas of what to do now, then flinging the ball over somebody's head. To the credit of Coach Self, he keeps giving Tyshawn chances to learn and mature, and you would hope that the start of the Colorado game would be a fairly safe place to do that ... as opposed to the end of the K-State game, which TT proved he wasn't ready to handle.

Number_1_Grandma 4 years, 1 month ago

Why?

Squeaky wheel get greased maybe??

KU a better team without him. He's cancerous to this team!

waterboy7 4 years, 1 month ago

Good move coach. Once again he shows why he is the best in the game! Now tell Reid to start driving the lane more to open up his shot!

CLARKKENT 4 years, 1 month ago

KU GOT BETTER WHEN BRADY CAME BACK. THIS IS A MISTAKE. TYSHAWN IS A PRIMA DONNA.

Scruggsy 4 years, 1 month ago

newmedia- no, I don't think it would be OK w/ Bobby (I invented basketball coaching) Knight. He would have Sherron on the bench because he missed some shots in the first half the other night. What a tool he is... But some people with limited knowledge like how he breaks down the high/ low pass every freakin' game...

newmedia 4 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if this move is OK with Bob Knight ?? Just win baby !!

beawolf 4 years, 1 month ago

This is good. Brady can now sub for either Collins or Taylor.

Ignorant_Yokel 4 years, 1 month ago

C'mon Tyshawn!! You've got all the talent in the world. Take your game (and our team) to another level!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

couranna1 4 years, 1 month ago

Self is right. Tyshawn makes things happen and if they do have his undivided attention that is a good thing and CO is a good team to find that out with

somebodynew 4 years, 1 month ago

On a side note-- It is really good to see LJW staff monitor and admit inadvertant mistakes that occur. It is good to see they actually monitor the stories they post. Of course, jkealing is always here, but good to see jnewell on here as well.

Good job people.

RomanNose 4 years, 1 month ago

"Self said he'd seen improvement from Taylor over the last few games." This ^^^

Jesse Newell 4 years, 1 month ago

Keith — Sorry about the subhead. It was incorrect. It accidentally got pasted from a different story.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Jesse Newell KUsports.com online editor

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 1 month ago

Keith--

That was a form fill error on our part. We went to right a subhed about Self and then changed our mind. Didn't realize that the field had been auto-filled from a previous headline we'd written. Sorry for the confusion.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Keith 4 years, 1 month ago

The subhead mentions Collins in a negative light, then the article offers no explanation?