Archive for Wednesday, February 17, 2010

KU football uniforms to change in 2010

Players’ names will not appear on the backs of uniforms

A Jayhawk logo will appear instead of last names on the back of 2010 Kansas football uniforms.

February 17, 2010, 12:11 p.m. Updated February 17, 2010, 3:44 p.m.

Reader poll
Do you like the look of the new KU football uniforms?

or See the results without voting

Kansas football fans will see some slight changes in the football uniforms starting in the 2010 season.

For the first time since 1981, players' last names will not be on the back of their uniforms. A Jayhawk logo will appear in the location instead.

“The reasoning behind not having the individual’s names is to support what we are expecting from our team and program,” KU football coach Turner Gill said in a release. “Our program is about team. We are representing the University of Kansas. You will see that name on the front of our jerseys."

Also, KU's blue helmets will not have a red stripe running down the middle during the 2010 season. The logo on the helmets — the "KU" in Trajan font — will remain unchanged.

Comments

Curtis Lange 4 years, 10 months ago

Not a fan of nameless jerseys, team concept or not...

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 10 months ago

Under that reasoning, they should also remove the numbers.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 10 months ago

"but uniforms do not win games"

How many games would they win if they played naked?

waterboy7 4 years, 10 months ago

Dont worry guys the names will be back in a couple years when Gill is gone.

Steve Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

I like waterboys theory, taking the names off of the jerseys does nothing for the team. It's just an " i can do it so i will " thing. Boooooooo. I am going to with hold my contributions next season...

Graczyk 4 years, 10 months ago

Good move. Stand out by your play. If you rock, then people will know your name.

Jack Hope III 4 years, 10 months ago

"I am going to with hold my contributions next season... "

Because they took the names off? This is a tempest in a tea cup.

Personally, I wish they'd drop the Trajan logo and have a Jayhawk instead (maybe an all-white, outlined Jayhawk instead of the full color version), but I'm not going to throw a new coach and team under the bus because they didn't consult me about it.

kthxbi 4 years, 10 months ago

headdesk I am trying to like this guy. But this seems silly and ineffective.

royalpain 4 years, 10 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (anonymous) says... Under that reasoning, they should also remove the numbers.

The rules state that jerseys must have numbers. Names are optional.

yankeevet 4 years, 10 months ago

This should help the team win more games; right?.........hummmmmmmmmmm

BruceWayne 4 years, 10 months ago

how about white pants, red shirts, and helmets with a big fat Nebraska "N" on the side. this was a terrible hire. thank god for basketball

truman1902 4 years, 10 months ago

Keep the "Jayhawk" helmets for the larger than life games coming down the road..Coach Gill, this is a class move that'll focus this team in a new direction..It's good to have the football team in the news this early..Keep your eyes on the Georgia Tech non-conference contest here at Memorial..If we win this one, then save your travel dollars for Bowl season!!

tigerforlife 4 years, 10 months ago

A turd in any sort of wrapping is still a turd...

drnater 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow, you guys are really crying about whether or not the names are on the back of the jersey? I didnt realize that led to the outcome of a game or a coaches ability. Its a new coach, before you ride him because he's from Nebraska, why dont you at least give a season or two. I can only imagine that if he comes out and wins some games in these first 2 years when we dont play the big 3, all you hatin on him now will be talking about how it was such a great idea to hire him. Ignorance is bliss.

ashmole 4 years, 10 months ago

This is to save $$, of course. To pay off Mangino and Gill's gold-plated coaching staff.

AreUKiddingMe 4 years, 10 months ago

Oklahoma just did this in 07....... this was just the 1st team that came up when I goggles it. I'm guessing there are a ton more. Get over yourselves people

fabian_zimbabwe 4 years, 10 months ago

Well said, truman1902. I just love the "support" from all the other arm-chair critics on this board. Guessing change of any kind is pretty painful in your worlds.

Kevin Sontag 4 years, 10 months ago

It's a motivational technique, just the same as bulletin board material. Say what you want about whether it works or not, it's not like this is the first time it's been done- other teams have used this tactic. This is a non-story which should generate no real reaction from readers. Anyone who gets up-in-arms about it is either uppity, a s**t-disturber, or just plain stupid.

hungryhustler 4 years, 10 months ago

I think it would be pretty sweet if they looked just like the NY Giants.

olmsted78 4 years, 10 months ago

who cares? no names on the jersey is fine. more traditional anyway.

stephenj 4 years, 10 months ago

This is so stupid, how are we supposed to know who dat is? I can't memorize dem nummers too good.

justtired 4 years, 10 months ago

what number was the consultant paid to figure this out? and do they have their name on a business card, or just working as part of a team!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

I hate to join the "haters", but my first reaction was "they have nothing better to do but to come up with crap like this?" OK. Whatever. This impacts "who" and in "what way" does this matter?

I'll tell you what matters. Win some games. Embarrass the slavers and the kitties. Do that, and you can put their names on their backs in pig-Latin for all I care.

Danimal 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't care if the player's names are on their jerseys. Taking the stripe off the helmet is too much though. I'm not surprised the Coach Gill is making some uniform changes, helps distinguish the beginning of his era or something.

shotgun 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey Coach, alter the crotch and add some cojones!

BorderRuffian 4 years, 10 months ago

The reason the stripe is missing is because Mangino ate it.

Graczyk 4 years, 10 months ago

"But wait. I thought we were winning for Jesus. Shouldn't we have His name on the back?"

What does the man's religion have to do with anything? It's not like he's making you convert before you can buy a ticket or something.

"Hey, all you heathens, get thee to the nosebleeds."

Uhjh 4 years, 10 months ago

WOW what a great approach to getting an edge in football.

Kawatchi 4 years, 10 months ago

This is how you make two small changes and ruin uniforms. These are going to be horrific. After making these public, I would guess it will be about a week before they say "We were just kidding".

jayhawk166 4 years, 10 months ago

Good call with the helmets the red strip looked stupid! I hope we dont do the sticker thing that some schools do because that looks stupid! Best of luck Jayhawks!

Jay_lo 4 years, 10 months ago

It does sound like a juco type move by a school that is supposed to be big league. Some of the smaller schools do it to save money on uniforms.
We've spent a fortune to upgrade facilities to be able to compete for the big ego players, and now an unproven coach who seems to have his own ego issues feels the need to "make a statement". Football is definitely a team sport, but it has always had its glory positions, and the persons who occupy those positions tend to bring their confidence in their own abilities to the rest of the team and boost everyone's level. They are going to want their recognition. Taking the names off just seems like a childish "control" move.

shepdog 4 years, 10 months ago

I can't believe nobody has figured it out. It is to help pay for the new suites!! Everybody will have to buy a program to find out who's playing. Guess we'll have to wait and see if the price of a program goes up! lol

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

Come on, people.....

Removing the names stresses the community of the team concept and motivates players to "earn" their recognition through work rather than just having it automatically stamped on their backs.. That's it. It's not a way "to save money" or a "childish 'control' move". It's something that's part of Gill's philosophy and it's been the way of Notre Dame and others for years. If and when the player builds himself into a level of significance, everyone will know him by his number alone, believe me.

Jock Navels 4 years, 10 months ago

Penn State...no names...never had them...or stripes, or swoosh striped pants or lightening bolt hats....and they play some kick-ass football. that's one. jes, you are all a bunch of whiners...where are the real students of the game.

Graczyk 4 years, 10 months ago

Jay_lo,

I don't think you can fairly call this a "juco type move." Penn State, Notre Dame, and USC don't feature the names of their players on their jerseys. Additionally, OU did this a few years ago for at least one season. (2006 maybe?) I don't think anyone would say that those teams are "juco." And they don't have any trouble recruiting big time talent either. (Notre Dame's recent misfortunes notwithstanding.)

And no, I am not comparing KU to those teams.

That being said, new managers (from CEOs to football coaches) often do make certain changes at the beginning of their tenure. But I think it is more appropriate to look at it as the beginning of a new era rather than a childish control move.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 10 months ago

This will help relieve the letter shortage. We all need to do all we can in the face of the impending peak-alphabet crisis.

Do it for the children.

drnater 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow, close mindedness seems to be a disease. Obviously the people on here talking about a great marketing ploy for selling programs dont realize that you can go onto the athletics page and look at the numbers of every player before you go to the game. No Way! Not only do you not have to pay for the program but you can actually know who's who since you cant remember numbers very well. Next there gonna be complaining cuz they cant figure out what the website is for kuathletics. oh wait add a com to it and you've solved that puzzle. Sometimes I wonder about our own fans...

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

bozo,

Sincerely, you made me laugh. 'Preciate it.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

People on here are pathetic. What do any of you care. Get a free program. All of the haters on Gill are going to look mighty silly if he wins. Then you will look like the hypocrits that you are when you try to act like you werte behind him all the way.
I haven't talked to one person from Nebraska who does not think this is a great hire. I have talked to five or six Nebraskans who will now root for Ku except for one game a yr.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

drnater This just shows that the whiners and haters don't even go to the games. If they did they would know that game programs at football games are FREE. Game set and match haters.
Now crawl back into your holes untill you can find something else to whine about.

Rickyonealku 4 years, 10 months ago

Like any NEW change.....just live with it...now just WIN BABY....WIN....

Scruggsy 4 years, 10 months ago

Some people must have a lot better eyes (and seats, when I go to a game) than me, because I sure couldn't read a name on a jersey from the seats anyway. Even on tv you can't really read it... Relax- print yourself out (or copy it down with pencil if you don't have a printer) a copy of the roster... Good lord- you'd think he was changing the colors to black & gold or something... And how much money do you morons think they will be saving by not sewing names on jerseys? $500??? Rock chalk...

Uhjh 4 years, 10 months ago

I just don’t care about uniforms but do care about winning. I believe the move is just stupid the coach should worry about something rather than putting his mark on something that has nothing to do with winning.

Armen Kurdian 4 years, 10 months ago

Maybe if they stopped spending so much dang money on uniforms every year or even w/in the season....

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

But... this IS consistent with Lew's thinking. Lew was the one who put that massive Jayhawk on the basketball court. He's into the whole branding thing. My guess is that he's actually the one behind this change.

hammerhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I like names on uniforms but I also don't think a name or no name on an uniform makes a team or player a winner or loser. I think not having names on uniforms takes away from a bit of KU tradition. As far as I can remember, names on KU uniforms has been a part of the game for years. As I said, I don't like change very much when it comes to my school's traditions.

Also, I have always believed that 'King lew' has brought a harmful presence to our town and to our universtiy.

ToriFreak13 4 years, 10 months ago

Hilarious....next the team will be drinking Tang because it's cheaper than Gatorade...or better yet each player has to hand draw KU onto their helmet. Here's to all those pennies being saved for the club house...cheers!

Bladerunner 4 years, 10 months ago

Is that what you do when you dont have any big names?

Joe Hyde 4 years, 10 months ago

Jersey numbers are a lot easier to see on TV; easier than reading the players names. And soon enough, we'll memorize the numbers of players we enjoy keeping track of.

Is it Alabama that puts each players number on the sides of his helmet, too? I've never much cared for how that looks, but it probably helps their sideline coaches tell who's who.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 10 months ago

My name it is nothing

Bob Dylan - With God On Our Side

tyson travis 4 years, 10 months ago

Got to put my two cents in, I live in another state, but soon got to be familiar with who Kerry, Jake, Toben, etc. were by where they appeared on the field on the TV games. Not having names on the jerseys is not a major setback. The symbol of KU is, however, the Jayhawk, don't forget it. I say put one of those expensive KU logos on the front, right above the numbers, and put the Jayhawk back on the helmets. The Jayhawk is getting a lot of national press thanks to the big one on the fieldhouse floor in all the natioal TV games, why not build on that? It's also a TEAM concept. Sort of liked the one-time resurgence of those helmets for the MU game, if they haven't been scraped off already, I say keep 'em, but a new coach has got to make his mark by changing everything his predecessor did

brettburhenn 4 years, 10 months ago

I hope our players aren't as whiney as our fans. Wow.

dwheidrick 4 years, 10 months ago

The change in uniforms are not a big deal except the stupid trajan font. I don't know why KU has decided to have a universal font for everything. This is especially true for the basketball jerseys. Bring back the old jerseys. We should put the jayhawk on the helmet instead of having KU on it as well.

Graczyk 4 years, 10 months ago

dwheidrick,

Having a consistent logo is branding 101. While there are variations in the way KU and Kansas appear on consumer t-shirts and hats, the brandmark "KU" is consistent on all "official" communications including letterhead, business cards, team uniforms, etc. It's basic business.

HuskerVago 4 years, 10 months ago

"What respectable team does this? "

Really? Quite a few teams a lot more respectable than Kansas. Let's see... Penn State, Notre Dame, USC.

Shows how knowledgable people who are upset by it are.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 10 months ago

There's no way I will be able to sleep tonight knowing the helmet strip is gone. I mean, who does that to a team??

tigerman03 4 years, 10 months ago

I like the idea of the '41 Hawk or use Scruggsy's Iron Maiden Eddie logo instead!

commonsense 4 years, 10 months ago

Love it coach. Good Job. "Who do you play for?" KANSAS.

killjoy 4 years, 10 months ago

This is really kind of sad. KU has very little to attract quality players. Now we have one less thing to offer. I can't wait until the new AD is hired and we can get the names back on. Perkins policy seems to be that if you can't find something worthwhile to do, do something stupid.

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

Can't believe this non-story has produced this long a string. And the number who think this is somehow a bad thing......in ANY way.......is staggering. Cop a clue folks.

jonhitch 4 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like a way to sell more programs, if you ask me. Hope they all sleep together to promote team oneness as well.

freshmaker 4 years, 10 months ago

get over it...you all knew who #5, #10 # 40, #1 were without seeing the name on the back....the refs dont call your name when they call you for a penalty, just your number. He will strip the name this year and make them earn it back next year. USC and Notre Dame have been pretty decent(with way more high caliber players) without needing names on the back of jerseys. You need to have players by into doing things one certain way...T.Gill may feel this is a step in that direction

drnater 4 years, 10 months ago

TopJayhawk

It cracks me up how the same complaints get stated numerous times throughout the posts. It makes you wonder a) do these people actually have a capacity to read what everyone wrote and remember or b) they dont really care about anyone elses opinion just want to whine and give there unwanted 2 cents worth. I however went to all the home games except 1 this year and i can honestly say i didnt know they were free, but thats because I usually didnt remember walking into the game. lol, but seriously people the name on the back of the jersey isnt what attracts athletes to schools, its the name on the front, the coaches, the facilities, and the city.

OldEnuf I may be wrong on this but hasnt the giant Jayhawk on the basketball court been there since Roy was coaching here? If so I have a hard time believing Lew had a hand in that..... wow

rgh 4 years, 10 months ago

I understand the team concept but not putting names on the back isn't fair to the kid, his family, and especially the fans trying to pick out kids easily on the field either in person or on TV. OU tried it the years before this and it lasted just the one year and they went back to names this year. If you don't think it matters, just wait until after the first game and you'll want them back on.

Bill Self is as "team" as it gets and we have names on the back. It's a privledge they deserve being D-I players and they simply need reminded it's the Kansas on the front that really matters. If they aren't team players, they won't be playing anyway.

As for the stripe on the helmet not being there, that's no biggie.

Bursting 4 years, 10 months ago

Well, I hate it period! You can call me a whiner if you want but I look at the names on jerseys. Must be something wrong if fans don't like it, I mean who gripes about names being on the back of jerseys? NOBODY. Turner, this seems to be dividing your KU fans and obviously the players don't want it, bring us all together, don't seperate us. We pay for tickets, food, drinks, you name it, and dang it I want names on the jerseys!

doc1 4 years, 10 months ago

As knowing and being an ex-player I can guarantee that there will be a few who choose another school from lack of having their name on a Jersey. Especially if they have their sights set on the NFL. Bad idea to take the names off.

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

"you all knew who #5, #10 # 40, #1 were without seeing the name on the back"

I wouldn't. I only watch football when they make it to a big game. I'm not going to bother trying to remember who is what number. It's too bad for the players and parent's though. It must have been nice seeing your name on TV.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

I want 2-way radios in each helmet so I can yack it up with the players.

Graczyk 4 years, 10 months ago

doc1,

Do you mean to say that players don't go to places like PSU, Notre Dame, and USC because the name's not on the back? Please. The scouts know who these kids are. It's their job to know.

drnater 4 years, 10 months ago

Liberty

If you only watch football when they make it to a big game then it doesnt matter whether they have a name on there back or not. As for the players and parents, if the player really has a problem with it then good riddance were better off with out someone who is only there to play cuz there names on their jersey. I would hope the parents would know what number there child is when there playing, otherwise thats just shows they dont really care about there child anyways. You act like these players dont talk to there parents at all, I know that as soon as I got a number on a d-1 team that I would be texting every member of my family and all my friends saying something like hey im #(whatever number) look for me on the field this season! Give me a break, since you only watch one game a year then it shouldnt really matter to you anyway.

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

"As knowing and being an ex-player I can guarantee that there will be a few who choose another school from lack of having their name on a Jersey. Especially if they have their sights set on the NFL."

Puhleeze! First of all, you opened redundantly, just a tip. Second, refer to Graczyk's post above. Third, the NFL will find you if you're good enough. Lastly, any player that HAS to have his name on the back of his jersey doesn't need to be a 'Hawk. This is Coach Gill's way, follow or we'll win without you. Godspeed.

fregoli 4 years, 10 months ago

isn't the main function of a university, well, education? who gives a hoot about these barely literate folks (not all, but...) that happen to be able to run, throw, etc. exceptionally well? Apparently quite a few. i digress. this school wouldn't be solvent without the athletics dept. oh, sorry, wrong post. (with an arm like that, i bet he'd make a helluva garbage man) or ( he can run so fast, the cops could never catch him)

TopJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

next game everyone goes to. Just ask for a program they really are free.

freshmaker 4 years, 10 months ago

drnater, well done...definitive of fair weather fan. I played middle school, high school and college ball without my name on the back of my jersey. The players worried about what's on the back of their jerseys, are usually the ones on the sidelines looking like they are in a under armour add