Archive for Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Former Basehor-Linwood teacher-coach pleads guilty to sexual relationship with student

A Basehor-Linwood teacher pleaded guilty to having sex with a student. The consensual relationship began back in 2008.

February 17, 2010

— Sentencing is scheduled in April for a former Basehor-Linwood teacher who pleaded guilty Wednesday to inappropriate sexual relations with a student.

Scott Neil, who was a Basehor-Linwood High School history teacher and wrestling coach, pleaded guilty in Leavenworth County District Court to one count of unlawful sexual relations with a 16-year-old student, County Attorney Todd Thompson’s office reported.

The charge against Neil was filed Monday for two incidents that took place with the student, one around June 1, 2008, and the other Dec. 31, 2008. One of the incidents took place in the high school, the County Attorney’s Office reported.

Neil, a 44-year-old Tonganoxie resident, was hired at the high school in 1996. The Basehor-Linwood school board suspended Neil with pay on May 20, 2009, pending completion of a police investigation into the matter. Five months later, when he was allowed to resign his teaching and coaching duties, Neil was earning $43,857 annually.

Assistant Superintendent Mike Boyd said the district had taken action to prevent future inappropriate teacher-student relations.

“We’ve had as many discussions as we can with principals of the schools and teachers about what is and is not appropriate when dealing with students,” Boyd said. “We’ve talked about not only in-person communication, but phone calls, text messages, Facebook, MySpace and Twitter, all these forms of cyber communication, to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

Thompson said the plea aligned with the wishes of the student and her family.

Neil could not be reached for comment Wednesday, and his attorney, Patrick Lewis, declined comment.

In addition to Neil, a second teacher in the Basehor-Linwood district has been suspended in connection with allegations of inappropriate sexual behavior with the same female student. Thompson said the second case remained under investigation with no charges filed.

Neil’s sentencing is scheduled for 11 a.m. April 14. He remains free until then.

Comments

Richard Payton 4 years, 10 months ago

Another teacher with the same student was this a threesome? Really sad to think people in positions of power do not say "NO" to lewd behavior.

helter_skelter 4 years, 10 months ago

If it was a female teacher and a male student, the teacher would get a slap on the wrist and probation. Since it's a male teacher sleeping with a female student, this guy will get prison time, a heavy fine, and will be considered the scum of the earth.

I'm not condoning what he did. I'm not approving of what he did. But I just wanted to point out the ridiculous double standard in this country. Google "Debra Lafave" for the most blantant example of this.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 10 months ago

Teachers know the risk, so except the consequences.

Matthew Herbert 4 years, 10 months ago

helter skelter- not true. The Lawrence High female teacher got five years in jail. Nice try though.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 10 months ago

I hope the pig goes to prison and I also hope he has a hard time there.

helter_skelter 4 years, 10 months ago

srj... "accept"... not "except.

Renaissance: Five years. For sex with a minor. By a person in a position of authority. And all she got was 5 years. I can't wait to see what this guy is going to get. I bet you dollars to doughnuts it's going to be a lot more than 5 years.

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

svnelson87 4 years, 10 months ago

Larry Bauerle 4 years, 10 months ago

The teacher's fault it ain't!

Untrue. Forty-four-year-old teachers should never have sex with 16-year-old students, regardless of what she does.

headdoctor 4 years, 10 months ago

toe (anonymous) says... Maybe we should tax sex as a way to raise revenue for schools.

Yup, and here would be a suggested tax schedule.

justoneperson 4 years, 10 months ago

rt: another teacher may mean that the third person knew of the relationship, yet did not inform the authorities.

Sulla 4 years, 10 months ago

Uhhh..have you been on Jerry Springer yet, Stretch_Marx?

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

There is no excuse for a teacher having sex with a student, esp. a student who is a minor. If the teacher were a college prof., and the student 18 or older, it would be ethically questionable but legal. I feel that no matter what the gender of the teacher, no matter what the gender of the student, the consequences should be consistent.

everyoneknows 4 years, 10 months ago

Scott neil was a teacher of mine a few years ago and when I found thid out I was truley taken by suprise. What didn't suprise me was the student it happened with. I am in no way saying what he did was ok but she knew was she was doing. It makes me sick that this even happened. I see him and his wife and children every so often at my work and they act totally normal as if none of this happened. Its sad that a horny teacher couldn't wait to get home to is wife to get off and now his children are going to suffer because of it.

amesn 4 years, 10 months ago

everyoneknows-you are exactly right..even if his wife wasn't 'getting the job done' cheat on her with a fellow teacher for crying out loud not a student! I'm kidding of course! Honestly the best thing for this man's wife and children would be for the to relocate somewhere so they can start with a clean slate and not have to constantly feel people's eyes on them or witness them whispering. Was a romp with this 16 year old girl really worth destroying his family and most likely cheating his children out of years of having their father in their lives? I was a 16 year old girl once and I know how flirty, sexual, and manipulative they can be and I have no doubt in my mind that the relationship was consensual but he definitely crossed a line he shouldn't! I'm from western Kansas originally and when I was in high school the wrestling coach found himself in a similar situation! What's with the wrestling? I would have thought in those skimpy singlets writhing around with hot sweaty men grabbing each other......um well nevermind!

pace 4 years, 10 months ago

He got fired. he won't get anything more. The good news is he is gone.

labmonkey 4 years, 10 months ago

helter-skelter and reniassance -

Helter, you made the mistake of not saying that if it were an attractive female teacher and a male student. I believe in the example renaissance shows us, the teacher was less than attractive.

Barry- can you make just one, non-politizing comment?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

"another teacher may mean that the third person knew of the relationship, yet did not inform the authorities"

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

Pace: He committed a sex crime. He'll do jail time and spend the rest of his life on registry web sites.

somedude20 4 years, 10 months ago

Don't cross the streams. Why? It would be bad. I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "good/bad" thing here. What do you mean, "bad"? Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. Total protonic reversal! That's bad. Okay. All right, important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

jehovah_bob 4 years, 10 months ago

He'll get probation. I think you are confusing a minor (under 18) with legal age of consent (16 in Kansas). First offense, unlawful sexual relations, the only reason it's illegal is because he was her teacher. I'm not sure if that puts him on the sex offender registry or not.

justoneperson 4 years, 10 months ago

"In which case that teacher should have already been fired. All teachers are mandated reporters and obligated by state law to report such behaviors."

Exactly. As this is just breaking, perhaps an investigation is needed to determine who knew what and when.

or, it could be a threesome

or, it could be that the 16 year old had relationships with multiple teachers

etc., etc.

Reuben Turner 4 years, 10 months ago

well not only the teacher should be in hot water, but that student ought to have some kind of punishment too. community service or something. yes the teacher is older, but they both was wrong.

Brad Maestas 4 years, 10 months ago

pace 4 years, 10 months ago

Out of 5 teachers caught, only 2 got time and 1 got his error in judgment erased. I don't know the stats on all teachers crimes, just the one's I knew of. A lot never get past the first hurdle, often the school boards first thought is to protect the child from publicity, oh I mean protect their tenure from the front page.

everyoneknows 4 years, 10 months ago