Archive for Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Police release information on hit-and-run victim

Woman, 33, was treated and released at LMH

February 16, 2010, 11:00 a.m. Updated February 17, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

Lawrence police released the name of a woman injured Saturday night when she was struck by a car in downtown Lawrence.

Nhung Tran, 33, was hit by a car about 8:20 p.m. Saturday, while walking east across the crosswalk at Ninth and Massachusetts. She was hit in the leg by a vehicle and taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

A nursing supervisor at the hospital said Tran was treated for her injuries and released that night.

The 23-year-old driver, William Baldwin, of Lawrence, was ticketed for failure to yield the right of way, obstructed windows and no proof of insurance, according to Sgt. Bill Cory, police spokesman.

Comments

flux 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey, I got something to tell you but I cant really tell you what I'm saying. You know what I'm saying?

ralphralph 4 years, 10 months ago

Have there been an unusual number of car-pedestrian and car-cycylist collisions lately, or is this fairly typical?

Boston_Charley 4 years, 10 months ago

My best wishes to the victim for a full recovery. However, this story reminds me of the famous Saturday Night Live news flash "And now, this just in--the Pope is still dead."

My advice is to stick to reporting news that has actually happened.

gphawk89 4 years, 10 months ago

"Have there been an unusual number of car-pedestrian and car-cyclist collisions lately, or is this fairly typical?"

Typical for Lawrence, not so much for the rest of the world, in my personal experience. Lawrence is the only place that I (as a pedestrian) have been hit by a car. Same goes for my roommate at the time.

gphawk89 4 years, 10 months ago

... although in a 2-week period in the UK, I saw no less than 4 people get hit. One by a bus. All in broad daylight. All four the pedestrian's fault. Dumb tourists, gotta watch for cars coming from the other direction in the UK.

sassypants 4 years, 10 months ago

This is the new typical now. Get drunk, drive, hit someone and get to spend your time in jail over spring break. This will continue untli the law is changed to address the "new typical". And I for one cant wait....

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 10 months ago

All you have to do is walk around Downtown Lawrence to see that a lot of drivers in Lawrence have no idea how to drive around pedestrians.

Some drivers think that when pedestrians have the walk signal, it's OK to turn before them so long as you think you can beat them to the intersection. The last time this happened to me and a car missed me by less than a foot and I waved my arms yelling at the driver but she kept looking straight ahead, oblivious.

There's plenty that have no idea of right-of-way.

If you're a pedestrian about to cross with the walk signal, whatever you do, do not let me see you wave a car on... Because I will scold you.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm still having a hard time with roundabouts... I typically just drive over them.

NotASquishHead 4 years, 10 months ago

According to the KDOT stats for the last statistical year, Lawrence was second in the state in pedestrian accidents.

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

2nd in the state for pedestrian accidents!?!? This is the only place I've ever seen someone actually ticketed for "jaywalking".

gphawk89 4 years, 10 months ago

"Lawrence is the only place where pedestrians are “dead right” they have the right-of-way; so they dart right out into flowing traffic. Most other intelligent places, people stand at crosswalks waiting for traffic to clear before entering, less likely being struck by vehicles. But hey, they were DEAD right, they had the right-a-way!?"

Yeah, well, I was walking on the sidewalk around about 16th and Mass when a guy (drunk) pulled into a driveway going way too fast and took me out. Nothing to do with walking out into traffic. Everything to do with the driver not paying attention.

broddie 4 years, 10 months ago

another ljworld headline that could have been taken straight from the Onion.

No Details Released Concerning Unspecified Incident

By I. Wright Feb 5 2010 Something happened in Lawrence last night, but we're not even going to tell you what little we know. Keep reading the Journal-World for more non-informational updates to this non-story.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

"Obstructed windows" at 8:20 p.m.? Surely that's not snow. I wonder what his deal was?

somedude20 4 years, 10 months ago

if peoples from lawrence walked so much, hows comes thers so many doggone fat peoples here