Archive for Tuesday, February 16, 2010

KU looks at making changes to its academic calendar

February 16, 2010

A Kansas University panel has given its approval to a new calendar with four fewer academic days in the school year.

The calendar changes would go into effect for the 2011-12 school year.

Under the proposal, the spring semester would always begin the day after Martin Luther King Day, fall break would be moved to a Monday and Tuesday, and winter break would be slightly longer — a full five weeks off.

The University Senate Executive Committee chose to forward the recommendation along to the full senate, where, if approved, would go to university administrators for final approval.

The panel opted against forwarding a second option that would have extended the Thanksgiving break into a full week and eliminated Stop Day, a day off on Friday before a week of finals.

Comments

backyardwino 4 years, 7 months ago

sometimes I wonder why some even bother commenting

Tristan Moody 4 years, 7 months ago

Lawrenceguy40--

If only you knew... Just because classes aren't in session doesn't mean there isn't real work going on. Any grad student or professor heavily involved in research will tell you that "breaks" are when the most work happens on the research projects. But I guess that doesn't count for you. If you really think the best thing for this town is to close its largest employer down, then please go somewhere else with your idiocy.

9070811 4 years, 7 months ago

Thank the Lord about starting after MLK day. We go to Thursday and Friday classes..and then no class Monday (MLK). So if you have M W classes, you don't even see them for a full week. Very silly and obnoxious.

croutons 4 years, 7 months ago

Man oh man I hate liberals. Hey, I know, I'll live in Lawrence!

backyardwino 4 years, 7 months ago

the man at the gate said i couldn't feed the trolls . . . no little green pellets for you, guy

akuna 4 years, 7 months ago

lawrenceguy40. If you hate KU so much you might benefit from moving away from Lawrence. You're welcome to stay, but ... just saying.

KU_cynic 4 years, 7 months ago

Too bad about the "no change" in Thanksgiving break. A full week off as opposed to three days would reflect the fact that many students (and professors) skip or cancel Tuesday classes anyway. An entire week off would also reflect the logistical difficulties of traveling at that time of year. An entire week off for Thanksgiving would also advantage international students, who could really take off and go somewhere or do something without having to try to arrange travel and lodging coincidental with one of the most nightmarish travel weekend of the year in America.

Fall break is a joke....no Thursday or Friday classes on an October weekend...big deal. There's no time to do anything special, nor is there anything special scheduled for students to do. As a research professor, I work as I would ordinarily, but many of my colleagues seemingly take the days off for laundry or soap opera watching or God knows what. Like I said, it's a waste.

As for the long winter break, all I can say is "I don't ski!" I'd rather start the semester earlier in January and get it over with in early May.

MLJ III holiday introduces some scheduling problems. My solution: Have classes on MLK III day, with some dedicated KU activities that students would participate in by nature of being on campus. As of now, MLK III day is merely a day to sleep in, not a day of great meaning for most students, staff, and faculty. Personally, I'd rather start the semester a day later or end it a day earlier than take a day off for MLK III.

orbiter 4 years, 7 months ago

"All us hard working tax payers would reap the benefit of not having to fund this liberal cesspool."

--Ah Lawrenceguy40, the bravest, hardest working and hardest bragging man alive. This holier-than-thou cartoon Republican never rests, EVER! Except, I guess, when he comments on ljworld, which seems to be constantly. And he doesn't need all the KU students, staff and faculty to populate this town. He'll be just fine. He works so hard and brags even harder. He doesn't need a town, a government, ANYTHING! He could succeed in a fruitless plain. He'd burn KU down and rip up all the tax funded infastructure if he could, but he won't because he's just too busy working hard, funding school districts with his own two hands and commenting on the internet. He never rests! EVER!

Cheer up, Lawrenceguy40! Tax payers barely contribute a quarter of KU's budget. You appear to be winning, you brave champion.

P.S. James 4:16 - But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.

Ephesians 2:8 - For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.