Archive for Monday, February 15, 2010

The Oread hotel falls victim to vandals

Vandals painted "shout" and "peace" on the south side of The Oread's top viewing deck over the weekend.

February 15, 2010, 12:30 p.m. Updated February 15, 2010, 1:16 p.m.

The Oread hotel falls victim to vandals

Vandals gained access to a restricted area of Lawrence's newest skyscraper and painted a large sign on its limestone walls. Enlarge video

Vandals gained access during the weekend to a restricted area of Lawrence’s newest skyscraper and painted graffiti on its limestone walls.

“We are saddened by this kind of vandalism and hope it doesn’t happen again,” Nancy Longhurst, general manager of The Oread, said in a statement.

The words “SHOUT” and “PEACE” were painted on the ninth-floor terrace of the building, 1200 Oread Ave., in white and black lettering, on a blue backdrop.

Patti McCormick, spokeswoman for the hotel, said the area is not open to the public and “you have to really work to get up there.”

Workers tried sandblasting the graffiti on Monday but were unsuccessful in removing all of it.

Parts of the hotel have been open since the first of the year, but the Oread’s grand opening is set for this Saturday. It is an invitation-only event.

Comments

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

Was an older model Volvo seen in the vicinity?

Jennifer Alexander 4 years, 10 months ago

How awful. This hotel is beautiful. Even if you don't agree with it being built, don't deface it. Grow up.

Vinny1 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh jchristine, The hotel itself is absolutely atrocious. Just plain ugly. But it is still far nicer than everything around it, and will hopefully lead those around it to get upgrades and look better. I love the buildings purpose, and everything I've experienced with it is great, but it is god ugly.

Jennifer Alexander 4 years, 10 months ago

Vinny1,

Have you been inside, or been on a tour of the hotel? I have, and in my opinion, its amazing. Granted, it sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of the buildings around it. But, I think it looks gorgeous. And, I hope you are right that it will lead to some upgrades to the existing buildings around it.

Mariposa 4 years, 10 months ago

I love the way it looks, like a castle on a hill. They should have flags flying from the cell towers. It looks as though it has been there forever.

Ray_Finkle 4 years, 10 months ago

It is strange that people think that they can promote peace by violating the rights of others.

Bruce Bertsch 4 years, 10 months ago

The outside of the building is FUGLY! It has all the appeal of a cold sore.

delberthelephant 4 years, 10 months ago

If we have to look at the hideous building from anywhere on campus, it might as well have a "traditional" touch of Lawrence graffiti.

ruette 4 years, 10 months ago

Vandalism isn't good, but neither was putting that awful building there, where it doesn't fit, and where it absolutely ruins the skyline, once one of Lawrence's most beautiful features. Take off the towers, please!

eotw33 4 years, 10 months ago

"Lawrences newest skyscraper". Really?

"No one has claimed responsibility". Are you suspecting terrorism?

guesswho 4 years, 10 months ago

Like the crossing and the old yellow sub were beautiful? Charming and quaint, yes, in their own way, but not a good show-off of the area.

beawolf 4 years, 10 months ago

Get used to it. Painting the Oread is going to become a KU tradition.

Boeing 4 years, 10 months ago

Skyscraper, huh? Well, it may technically fit the definition, but...come on, it's not that big.

Ah I love these hippies...why do they feel it's ok to deface other peoples property in the name of "peace"?

I'm glad I am apparently not the only person here who thinks that.

mommyoffour 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't know why people keep saying it is ugly. I like the way it looks as well as most people that I have heard speaking about it. Stop Hating! The people that did this just thought that they could get more attention this way. But shame on them. They could of easily had a march or something. Being distructive is not the answer.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

People, please! Hippies don't vandalise property on purpose - they just chill and say things like "give peace a chance." It is the children of yuppie conservatives who think themselves anarchists while allowing their parents to pay their way through school who pull stunts like this. These are the unwashed, stinky kids with the ironicly confirmed anarchist symbol on their clothing of the slightly crooked capitol "A" within a circle, with the points of the letter breaking the circle's edges, who do this kind of stupid thing.

However, they aren't hippies.

The building looks like it was made from legos. (and that isn't a compliment)

BruceWayne 4 years, 10 months ago

looks to me like they had to be there for awhile...security? hope they are caught and punished...deported to Sweden or at least Colorado.

areyousure 4 years, 10 months ago

I have seen the inside and taken a tour. It is not my taste. Too much rock, too much granite and tile. Too many hard edges - it seems cold and dark. The interior is mainly brown with some green touches. I think Fred Flintstone would be very comfortable in it.

No matter how ugly it may be, the vandalism wasn't necessary.

gatekeeper 4 years, 10 months ago

beatrice (Anonymous) says…

People, please! Hippies don't vandalise property on purpose - they just chill and say things like “give peace a chance.” It is the children of yuppie conservatives who think themselves anarchists while allowing their parents to pay their way through school who pull stunts like this. These are the unwashed, stinky kids with the ironicly confirmed anarchist symbol on their clothing of the slightly crooked capitol “A” within a circle, with the points of the letter breaking the circle's edges, who do this kind of stupid thing.

However, they aren't hippies.

The building looks like it was made from legos. (and that isn't a compliment) //////////

Beatrice is correct!!!!!! We have a winner. I started laughing when I saw some blaming "hippies" because peace was one of the words painted.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

If you are defending this vandalism, please post your own address so that the next time someone has a political message to deliver they'll know where to go.

BruceWayne 4 years, 10 months ago

so this place is ugly? have you looked around Lawrence as of late? venture out around the Kasold curve. there are several homes out there that should be condemmed. in my opinion over half of Lawrence appears to be in need of a good flushing . maybe folks need to clean up their own before they go ripping on the oread.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 10 months ago

The message is not threatening but timely.

Bring the troops home now... they don't deserve to die for oil!

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm just surprised the vandal didn't paint: "Spot Zoning"

I say cover it up with Astro-Turf and make everything a win-win.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

Yea, the vandals did a good job.... straight lines and letter shadowing.

It's almost like they had drafting experience, or architectural.

meggers 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't condone this in any way, but I must say I, too, am impressed at the care the vandals obviously took with their work. Their chances of getting caught would have increased considerably the longer they were up there. Not to mention, if they did it Saturday evening or later, it was pretty chilly outside.

hilary 4 years, 10 months ago

Seems odd to me that they wouldn't have these people on camera.

youarewhatyoueat 4 years, 10 months ago

If I owned the oread I'd actually keep it. Unlike most tags this actually looks nice, and what's wrong with the message?

I can name much more worse things that could've been put there.

southernmiss 4 years, 10 months ago

Maybe the extra 1% sales tax that people pay at the Oread can be used to take care of this?

parrothead8 4 years, 10 months ago

Keith (Anonymous) says… Hayduke Lives!

With a little help from Seldom Seen...

FieldTested 4 years, 10 months ago

When it comes to ugly and an eyesore on the skyline, nothing is worse than the phone tower downtown across from the Library. Next time you get a chance, really look at it. Hit 3 times with the ugly stick. Removing that Soviet style monolith would improve downtown immensely. We no longer need it to house microwave dishes for long-distance, and the cell antennas could be moved to less obtrusive installations.

kugrad 4 years, 10 months ago

While I don't approve of the act, I think it looks prettty good. They should just leave it there.

channeler 4 years, 10 months ago

"The Oread hotel falls victim to vandals" -or- "The Hill falls victim to ridiculous development"

Mkultra 4 years, 10 months ago

Project Mayhem? His name was Robert Paulson.

MartyT 4 years, 10 months ago

This building might have been designed by an architect (so called), but it's not architecture; it's developer driven shlock.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

We have a new entrant, channeler. I wonder exactly who he is channeling? Any suspicions? Anyone?

hawk780 4 years, 10 months ago

In the picture it looks like the so called "hippies" left their red ladder.

George_Braziller 4 years, 10 months ago

I guess "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder.

jchristine2 (Anonymous) says… How awful. This hotel is beautiful.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

"At least they took their time,did a nice job and chose excellent color combinations."

So this is art? Has anyone done the obvious then, and checked the bottom right-hand corner for a signature?

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

By the way, I just shouted "Peace!"

It didn't work.

I think you would have a better chance of getting what you want if you shout over and over again "Sore Throat!"

Should the vandals be reading this (maybe even commenting?), next time write a better message, like "Vote Peace." Shouting just hurts the vocal chords and makes others hard of hearing.

MyName 4 years, 10 months ago

I can't say I approve of the graffiti, but you gotta admit it takes dedication to paint anything in this crappy weather.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

Stop picking on Hippies! I happen to love a middle-aged Hippie. Be nice.

Melissa Sigler 4 years, 10 months ago

Am I really the only person who is going to say I think it looks nice? (the hotel, not the graffiti...although as far as THAT goes, its not bad)

There are far worse looking buildings in Lawrence that could be...prettified. :-p

d_prowess 4 years, 10 months ago

I think MyName makes a great point! It had to be freezing up there and that doesn't look like it was quick. Check the hospitals for anyone that came in for frostbite this morning!!

whynaut 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm not an Idaho fan per se... but "Go Vandals!" This is too cool.

goodcitizen 4 years, 10 months ago

I personally think the graffiti improves the picture postcard options for the hotel. I say paint some lovely flowers in the spaces to the left and right (hotel do this not someone illegally)--embrace the "hippie" history of this town and beautify your partially TIF funded building at the same time, in fact incorporate the cell phone towers into the design, maybe they could be made to look like giant candles????---hold a mural design contest for high school or college art students, I'm sure they could come up with a million creative ways to make the proverbial lemonade from (what some consider) the lemons of this act.

Clark Coan 4 years, 10 months ago

It looks like one of those old industrial buildings if you view it from near the stadium. The stone facade is even on all of the walls inside. I predict it will go belly up in five years and KU will take it over and put offices and classrooms in it.

promitida 4 years, 10 months ago

I think that the message gives the building some much needed color :-)

Alfred_W 4 years, 10 months ago

I think it looks just like the Joliet Correctional Center in Illinois...

tribalzendancer 4 years, 10 months ago

I think the building looks better now. A little touch of color and personality on a pretty soulless commercial building.

I hope they have the good sense to leave the mural. Of course, our culture is too back-asswards crazy to see the beauty of it.

oreadrocks 4 years, 10 months ago

bert 4 years, 10 months ago

c'mon! did the vandals take the handles?

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

I noticed they were careful with their selection of the hue.

carolina blue? well, at least lew won't try to sue them for infringing on the university's color copyright.

nice layout, I think the fritzels should keep it.

BigPrune 4 years, 10 months ago

Why don't KU buildings get vandalized? Must be students

uncleandyt 4 years, 10 months ago

Support Our Mercenaries ? Why would anyone be against our wars. The missions are clear. White phosphorous bombs don't drop themselves. It is very important for us to just shut up and let it continue.

overthemoon 4 years, 10 months ago

This building does looks like its been around for ever...in East Berlin. I don't know what the designer and developer were thinking.

There are so many materials and architectural forms on the KU campus that are worth looking at and borrowing from. This comes closest to the old Fowler shops, with none of the excellent proportion and massing. The steel-looking windows are a common vocabulary in industrial warehouses, the fake stone veneer is not applied in a way that even resembles the weight and authentic detailing of real stone, and the monolithic facade looks like something you'd approach warily for some very unpleasant incarceration. This is bad design from any design literate, informed view point.

lindseydoyle 4 years, 10 months ago

"We don't know who did it or why," McCormick said... Maybe it was someone making a political statement. Just a guess.

Newell_Post 4 years, 10 months ago

Maybe this is what happens when self-proclaimed architectural critics get disappearded from Ljworld.com. They have no other outlet.....

hujiko 4 years, 10 months ago

Honestly, I think this is awesome. The Oread would gain popularity in my book if they left the graffiti up there and allowed for the whole building to be plastered.

It would be an improvement.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Relax and have a popsicle, Oread haters. It's a cool and fruity treat on a winter day.

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

what does "shout peace" even mean? Hippies are stupid.

Liberty275 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh yeah, my opinion on the building. From 15th and Haskell it looks like a soviet apartment building from the 60s. And dead. It kinda looks dead.

zackattackku 4 years, 10 months ago

Granted I don't agree with vandalism. However, you have to know the history of the buildings that used to sit there to know what amount of history was last. Why not look up the Rock Chalk Cafe (The Crossing). It was opened in the early 20's and was the main point of dining for all KU students. It was a significant place. Look it up and tell me that it is worth bulldozing history to build a monstrosity of a building that ruins the skyline. In regard to castle on the hill, we have one. It's called Fraser Hall and don't forget it.

zackattackku 4 years, 10 months ago

I forgot to mention. Has anyone noticed the hotels lush green lawn.....in winter?!? You guessed it, astroturf. Take a closer look at it sometime. You can see the seams.

BorderRuffian 4 years, 10 months ago

Now I have it on good authority that Mark Mangino was spotted scaling the outside of the building late last night, did the dirty deed, then rapelled down before he got caught. Rumor has it that he was shouting some sort of obscenities about some dude named Lew. But this is just what I heard...

beaujackson 4 years, 10 months ago

The Oread "Rockpile".

Ugly outside.

Uglier inside.

A Stonemasons "dream job".

svenway_park 4 years, 10 months ago

I see some Cool fingerprints here. And I don't mean that in the complimentary sense.

kernal 4 years, 10 months ago

If the developers have a sense of humor, they'll leave it there. Otherwise it will become the ultimate challenge & target.

beaujackson 4 years, 10 months ago

Only 2 "MINIATURE" elevators.

Good luck getting one when needed.

elaine14 4 years, 10 months ago

Wake up Lawrence , Kansas -- every university I have ever visited has a hotel on campus -- the Oread far outshines them all. KU and Lawrence should be thrilled to have it there representing them. I am proud of the Oread -- it is beautiful and functional -- great food and a first class operation.
Of course, vandals are rude people - express your opinions but on your own turf - grow up!

Uhjh 4 years, 10 months ago

was only suppose to be 7 stories so the 8th and 9th floors don't exist.

WakaJayhawka 4 years, 10 months ago

"SHOUT PEACE" what a horrible thing to write!!!!!! Oread owner(s) must hate such vulgar words on such an establishment!!! who would ever want symbolic art on a symbolic building!?!?! will people please get over such nonsense, leave the art, save your money.... send the message of peace.

beaujackson 4 years, 10 months ago

Someone bought paint with their "stimulus check.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

"shout" and "peace" are rather antithetical.

classic approach-avoidance anxiety paradox. the vandal obviously is expressing severe, extreme, psychic pain in anxiety.

somebody help him, her, or it.

croutons 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't condone vandalism of any type. But that doesn't mean I'm not in favor of erecting a building that looks like it's already ready for implosion in downtown Lawrence. Seriously, who designed that monstrosity?

croutons 4 years, 10 months ago

Whoa, how'd that "not" get in there? Take that out of my last post, tyia!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

croutons 4 years, 10 months ago

Every time I glance at the building I instinctively expect to see a crane at the top, but there isn't one. The building looks like construction was halted about 2/3 of the way in, but from what everyone is telling me, it is indeed complete.

MartyT 4 years, 10 months ago

"Lawrence's newest skyscraper", eh?

Clearly the writer of this article has never been to a city before.

Lee Eldridge 4 years, 10 months ago

Really disappointing that somebody would do this. The hotel is very cool. Have taken the tour.

And stop blaming hippies. I'm a hippy and would never do something like this.

Kookamooka 4 years, 10 months ago

The graffitti is absolutely "white". Not gang related so if they pull a black person in for this crime I'm going to be very suspicious. It does give them good press coverage...FREE press coverage. AND because the hotel has been "victimized" the public may have some sort of a sympathetic reaction toward a place that obviously was built on hubris. The best reason to build any sort of luxury monostrosity is to "keep up with the Joneses"

One interestesting thing to note....when the developers were in the planning stages, the courted the school board and quoted a figure of about 80K that would benefit the district if they were to complete the building with TIF money. I don't know if the Oread got TIF financing but if they did, they are going to owe the district around 80K. A figure they came up with. **see the January 2008 school board minutes. They are public.

Kip Patzel 4 years, 10 months ago

This is really sad!!!!! What is wrong with the youth or should I say young adults today?

I still say,"Don't probe me Bro"

emptymind 4 years, 10 months ago

Rednecks did it to place blame on the hippies, who couldn' t care less because they're too stoned anyway

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

"Shout Peace"? It could have been much worse. At least it wasn't some thing obscene. "Shout Peace" is an awesome message.

cowboy 4 years, 10 months ago

And there is no security cameras up there , Really !

Michael Sizemore 4 years, 10 months ago

Stream 47 - "The concept of “architectural preservation” doesn't fly in Lawrence, there's no discipline and no community pride, it's just pandering to developers who want to make a quick buck and get out, and it's a shame."

Yes and No: As a point of clarification - the City Historic Resources Commission denied this project 3(?) times. The Developer made the statement, "I think I know what the people of Lawrence think is attractive..." and took the project to the City Commission who over-turned the HRC denial. At a point in time when no significant construction was happening, the tax revenue generated by the project was too much for the City to ignore.

So yes, the City certainly "pandered", but there were in fact many, many preservationists that spoke out against this monstrosity.

It reminds me of the factory on the cover of Pink Floyd's "Animals"...just waiting for the smokestacks to start belching smog.

Big man, pig man, ha ha charade you are. You well heeled big wheel, ha ha charade you are. And when your hand is on your heart, You're nearly a good laugh, Almost a joker, With your head down in the pig bin, Saying "Keep on digging." Pig stain on your fat chin. What do you hope to find. When you're down in the pig mine. You're nearly a laugh, You're nearly a laugh But you're really a cry.

4 years, 10 months ago

not at all surprised. more surprised that it took this long to happen.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Interesting to see who puts on their Thready McThreadjack hat while posting on this thread.

BrianR 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't think it was hippies but I don't think it was Vandals either. That particular font is popular among Visigoths.

sourpuss 4 years, 10 months ago

It looks like a Dickensian factory with those ugly cell towers. It looks nicer with the graffiti on it.

storm 4 years, 10 months ago

The new emblem (graffiti to some) really helps with the building. Thanks! Wish it could stay.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 10 months ago

How, in any way, is this incident related to whether the building is attractive, appropriate, properly-motivated, etc.?

The graffiti is a criminal act. It should be investigated, the responsible parties found--if possible--and charged.

Honestly, this story doesn't seem any more complex to me than that.

SofaKing 4 years, 10 months ago

Those are scrambled letters. Unscrambled, it says "Touche peas."

2002 4 years, 10 months ago

Shout peace? Just stupid. Does someone really think that defacing property (regardless of whether the building is ugly or beautiful) makes your point?

No once again, a supposed "enlightened" destroys the cause of true peace by acting a fool. A criminal fool, by the way. "IF" the message was so important, why not a banner?

And more than that, what is shout peace anyway? I am pretty much a anti-war guy. But the answer is never so simple as war or peace and to think so ignores sense and history. A few years back in the early part of the Iraq was (which I was not a supporter of) a girl in a store was wearing a "War is not the Answer" button with a little peace sign. So I asked her "What is the Answer?" She didn't have one. I'd be willing to bet that the person that painted this crap really has no idea what to shout after the word peace.

jimmyjms 4 years, 10 months ago

"A few years back in the early part of the Iraq was (which I was not a supporter of) a girl in a store was wearing a “War is not the Answer” button with a little peace sign. So I asked her “What is the Answer?” She didn't have one."

Way to go. You really showed that 20yo the what-for.

montevideo 4 years, 10 months ago

The name of the responsible party is: Nearing, Staats, Prelonger, and Jones. They've also been tied to the hilarious 6th and Mass building that houses Gap and other chains, along with a string of vicious Old Economy McMansion-style attacks throughout JoCo.

Either bring these people to justice or accept the fact that they will not rest until your community has been transformed into a nameless, faceless, soulless sprawling suburb of Kansas City. This is the price society pays for bad design.

achtung 4 years, 10 months ago

just the other week, i was giving my out of town friends a tour of lawrence. looking at the oread from a few blocks away, he asked me "what factory was that?" seriously. i couldn't stop laughing. he actually thought those beautiful cell towers were smokestacks.

redwombat 4 years, 10 months ago

I have to agree with thinkingoutloud. Sorry if you don't like the building, couldn't care lass if you love it. It doesn't matter if you agree with the message, it doesn't matter if you abhor the message. The issue with this act of vandalism is that it is a CRIME. Trespassing and defacing private property can be serious offenses. If someone tagged my home or my place of business......I, for one hope, that whoever did this is caught, fined and made to pay restitution for this criminal act.

BruceWayne 4 years, 10 months ago

how hard can it be to find the perps? "someone" purchased a buttload of paint and supplies. if the LPD will do a little work, charges could be filed today.

I_AM_AN_ANARCHIST 4 years, 10 months ago

All this talk about the Anarchists did this is stupid and stereotypical. I don't know any anarchists in town that fit the description I see of them in the comments. We are usually working class and often part of mainstream organizing like union organizing and save the T stuff, save our schools stuff and working with the homeless coalition. I doubt this was an anarchist but even if it was at least we are off doing this not (supporting the) killing Dr. Tiller or pushing through legislation to break-up immigrant families like right-wingers on this forum.

somedude20 4 years, 10 months ago

I think it was Mangino who did it. See, the story goes like this boys and strippers:

Late one night after a night of heavy drinking, a very drunk Mangino (and how much alcohol would that take) tried to order a pizza but since it was after 4am and no pizza shops were open in this time zone, Mangino took a que from the remake of Dawn of the Dead. Instead of writting "SoS" or "alive inside" drunkgino went on to write "shout for peace" but what he meant was " shouting for a piece of pizza" but alas his drunkenness got the better of him and like King Kong falling from the building, so too did the Mangino

huntergathers 4 years, 10 months ago

I think it's beautiful - I used to live across the way from where the hotel stands now, and was waaay bummed out when they started throwing that crap up (does anyone remember the six months of unpaved roads and exposed plumbing and electrical business? cause I had to slog through that every day).

Whoever's responsible, props to them and I hope they never get caught.

Savages.

gaptoothgrin 4 years, 10 months ago

if you didn't want to have a conversation about the vandalism outside of the fact that it's a crime don't put a picture of it in the paper. and don't post in a forum about it. i believe you're pandering to terrorists.

they proposed this building to the people that live in that area at public forums (i was there) as a solution to the rowdy bar crowd from the crossing and now it houses...9 bars? more?

they received TIF, so until they pay it back maybe the vandals did think they were sending a message on their own property. http://www.kupedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Oread_Inn (look at the proposed building while you're there)

they put in a jimmy john's and multiple bars and i've heard they "didn't even think" to extend an invitation to yello sub or the crossing. tacky. including original history would have been a nice gesture of peace after they used their lawyers in a hostile takeover of the area.

cell phone towers don't have to be concealed in giant phallic faux flag poles. it seems obvious that the hotel is using those exaggerated decorations to contend with the iconic skyline even though they promised not to impose. they are something like...3 ft shy of Fraser's flags which is a weak gesture considering the girth of the oread's poles.

where are the trees? they promised so many trees.

this building claims to be built with sustainability in mind...mmm maybe they just said it would be the "greenest" building in lawrence...oh wait...i get it. green. $. touche.

all this thinking about stuff is exhausting...i'm headed over to the shot bar located in a parking garage, does anyone want to join me in classing up the historical oread neighborhood?

thelonious 4 years, 10 months ago

If they didn't want this "building" to be an attractive nuisance for these sorts of things, they should have left it at 7 stories (or even 5 like the HRC receommended) - as it is, the height makes it a perfect platform for these kinds of acts.

Maybe they should sell the space the vandals targeted, perhaps put up an electronic billboard and sell ads - they could just do it, no city approval required, just like the rest of the project, including the "cell phone towers". They could use the $$$ to pay off the TIF bonds.

Personally, I think the "building" is an architectural horror - when I drive by it it strikes me as an old inner-city hospital or abandoned manufacturing plant. The "cell phone towers" should catch plenty of lightning strikes - perhaps they are really giant lightning rods.

As for this act of vandalism itself - I certainly don't condone it, but it's pretty benign as these things go - it's not gang graffitti, it's not vulgar or an obscenity, and it certainly doesn't look any worse than those awful "cell phone towers".

Considering the history of this project, I actually think it's kind of funny - like a mesage from former YellowSub patrons.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 10 months ago

News: Updated February 16, 2010 - 4:26 PM EST

AP Continues to Beat War Drums Over Iran

US, France Deny Making Isotope Offer to Iran Clinton:

Sanctions to Save Iran's 'Islamic Republic' From Military

US Steps Up Sanctions Diplomacy Against Iran

Mullen Warns of 'Unintended Consequences' of Iran Strike

After Civilian Deaths, US Curbs Airstrikes in Marjah

US-Led Invasion 'Bogged Down' in Marjah

Roadside Bombs Taking Bigger Toll in Afghanistan

NATO Confirms Kandahar Air Strike Killed Five Civilians

Key Taliban Figure 'Captured' Along Pak Border

Pakistan Declares 'Victory' in Waziristan

Richard Heckler 4 years, 10 months ago

Could your tax dollars be better spent?

Select your state, town, county or congressional district and a program, and find out what else your tax dollars could provide.

BorderRuffian 4 years, 10 months ago

Breaking news !

BruceWayne asked: "how hard can it be to find the perps? 'someone' purchased a buttload of paint and supplies. if the LPD will do a little work, charges could be filed today."

Well here's the news, boys and strippers, I just heard over the radio that "a very large, rotund, gentleman shouting obscenities was arrested on suspicion of vandalism of an as of yet unnamed Lawrence area property. The person was discovered after a local stripper discovered numerous cans of blue spray paint in a nearby trash container while rumaging through its contents looking for a missing blog. Upon confronting the rotund gentleman, police officers noticed blue paint residue covering his hands, mouth, and various nether regions of his anatomy. With the words, "peace my A_$, I'm gonna get him," police officers led the immense man off tied in chains after failing to find a set of hancuffs that would fit."

After securing the unnamed man to a flatbed truck, the last words this reporter heard were shouted to an equally large female, "call Dominos and tell them I'm in jail again. They'll know what to do."

But then, this is just what I heard.

1029 4 years, 10 months ago

Seems pretty fishy that nobody heard the helicopter or saw the vandals descend from it onto the roof. There are lots of people in that area, and lots of those people are college kids who probably stay up late.

And the suggestion that this was done by "hippies" is absurd. Most of the hippies I know that have helicopters have old, noisy ones that are at least 25-30 years old. The drop-off chopper for this job had to have been something quieter, more stable, and more high-tech, possibly even military. So the question shifts to: Who are these people and how do they have access to such technology? And why would these people want to use a well-known hippie slogan such as "shout peace" and make it look like hippies were responsible?

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

Anyone rented out that extra garage space to house an older Volvo?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

merrill's got his Thready McThreadjack hat on early this morning.

tubs_of_love 4 years, 10 months ago

Naw, definitely not anarchists, how would you expect someone that can't figure out what would happen if anarchy actually came into play, plan something like this? Well, this might be a little easier I suppose. Why unionize anarchists? Won't banding together eventually become government? That is to say if you're plan could ever work.

jhawks1234 4 years, 10 months ago

make it easier to get up there and have students tag it Friday's before the football games...make it a new campus tradition...just a thought