Advertisement

Archive for Saturday, February 13, 2010

Malone among hall finalists

February 13, 2010

Advertisement

— Two-time NBA MVP Karl Malone, six-time champion Scottie Pippen, and two U.S. Olympic champions are finalists for the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame.

The 1992 Dream Team, on which Malone and Pippen played along with superstars such as Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, is a finalist in the team category. Also up for induction are the 1960 gold medalists, a team led by Hall of Famers Jerry West and Oscar Robertson that won its games in Rome by 42.4 points per game.

NFL

Goodell given 5-year deal

New York — NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been given a new five-year contract running until March 2015.

Goodell replaced Paul Tagliabue on Sept. 1, 2006, and his contract was due to expire this September.

The NFL said Friday that owners voted to award the new contract when they met in December. Goodell’s compensation will remain the same, Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said.

Dolphins release Porter

Davie, Fla. — Joey Porter’s wish was granted Friday by the Miami Dolphins: They released him.

The four-time Pro Bowl linebacker campaigned last week to be waived, saying in broadcast interviews he was frustrated about his reduced role in 2009 and doubted his relationship with coach Tony Sparano could be repaired.

GOLF

Woods to skip Match Play

Pebble Beach, Calif. — The 64-man field at the Match Play Championship does not include Tiger Woods.

Woods did not meet the deadline Friday afternoon for entering the Match Play Championship next week in Arizona, the tournament where he made his comeback a year ago from knee surgery.

The world’s No. 1 player announced Dec. 11 he was taking an indefinite break from golf as he tries to salvage his marriage after admitting to infidelity. He has not been heard from since then.

Six tied at Pebble Beach

Pebble Beach, Calif. — Paul Goydos was among six players were tied for the lead Friday at the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. Goydos had a 7-under 65 and was atop the leaderboard on a day when the threat of showers gave way to sunshine along the Monterey Peninsula.

Defending champion Dustin Johnson was the biggest presence, even after a 2-under 68 at Monterey Peninsula.

Also at 10-under 132 were Alex Cejka (67 at Spyglass), Bryce Molder (65 at Monterey), J.B. Holmes (67 at Monterey) and Matt Jones, who had a 67 at Pebble Beach.

Black shares ACE lead

Naples, Fla. — Ronnie Black shot a 3-under 69 for a share of the lead with Champions Tour newcomers Fred Couples and Tommy Armour III during the suspended first round of the ACE Group Classic. Black was one of only nine players in the 81-man field to finish the round after high wind that gusted near 40 mph forced the suspension of play.

BASEBALL

Thomas reveals retirement

Chicago — Frank Thomas has announced his retirement following a 19-season career in which he hit 521 homers and won two American League MVP awards with the Chicago White Sox. The Big Hurt made the announcement Friday. Considering he didn’t play last season, the news was hardly shocking.

Sweeney, Mariners agree

Seattle — Five-time All-Star Mike Sweeney has agreed to a minor-league contract that keeps him with the Mariners. Seattle announced Friday that the 36-year-old has been invited to big spring training. Sweeney hit .281 with eight home runs and 34 RBIs in 74 games last year. The former Kansas City Royal missed 11 games in July because of back spasms, then hit .381 over his last 25 games.

Greinke gets early start

Surprise, Ariz. — Royals right-hander Zack Greinke is getting an early start on the follow-up to his Cy Young Award-winning season.

Greinke was one of about 20 players who showed up Friday as the Royals opened spring training with a voluntary, five-day minicamp in Surprise, Ariz.

Also in camp are closer Joakim Soria, who had 30 saves for Kansas City last year, and first baseman Billy Butler, who had 51 doubles and 93 RBIs to go with his team-best .301 average.

Guthrie, Orioles agree

Baltimore — Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie and the Baltimore Orioles have agreed to a $3 million, one-year contract that avoided arbitration. The 30-year-old right-hander receives more than four times the $650,000 he made last year, when he was 10-17 with a 5.04 ERA in 33 starts and a career-high 200 innings.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.