Archive for Thursday, February 11, 2010

Former President Bill Clinton admitted to hospital for heart problems

February 11, 2010, 4:08 p.m. Updated February 11, 2010, 4:44 p.m.

— An adviser to Bill Clinton says the former president has had two stents placed in one of his coronary arteries.

The adviser, Douglas Band, says Clinton was admitted to New York Presbyterian Hospital on Thursday after experiencing chest discomfort. Band says that after seeing his heart doctor, Clinton underwent the procedure to place the stents in the artery.

Band says Clinton is in good spirits.

Clinton had quadruple bypass surgery in 2004 to open four blocked arteries.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has left Washington and is heading to New York to be with her husband.

Aides to Mrs. Clinton said Thursday she left the capital shortly after meeting President Barack Obama at the White House ahead of a planned trip to the Persian Gulf that was to begin on Friday. The aides said it was not yet clear if her travel to Qatar or Saudi Arabia would be affected by her husband’s hospitalization.

They referred questions about the former president’s condition to his office.

Comments

75x55 4 years, 2 months ago

I over-estimated.

A second-grader that once picked up a history book, then colored on the edges of the pages with an old piece of crayon.

February 12, 2010 at 11:06 p.m 'analysis' has to be the stupidest thing I've read in months.

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

Bearded_Gnome,

You got busted not knowing how much Perot took away from both Bush and Clinton. Clinton was actually in third place at the start of the campaign and beat both of them.

Clinton had a modest popular vote win but a large electoral college win. Perot won not a single electoral college vote. After eight years in office, scandal and impeachment vote, Bill Clinton (interestingly enough) was polled as being the fourth best President in history. Personally, I don't think George W. Bush is going to do as well.

(laughter)

Amazing that, in this day and age, conservatives such as yourself still look back at the pre-women's sufferage era with nostalgia and longing.

(laughter)

If Hillary Clinton gets elected President, that will probably ruin your day.

(laughter)

bearded_gnome 4 years, 2 months ago

poor Porchie, apparently hasn't read, or can't understant, the constitution. it is the House of Representatives [typing very slow here] that appropriates...appropriates means spends the bucks. presidential "budgets" are rather irrelevant.

and yes, Perot cost Bush the election. if the half of Perot voters [cited above] had actually stayed with GHWB, then Clinton would not have won if the other half had just not voted, for example. note that Clinton never was elected by a majority, only plurality.

an aside since PP is apparently female: if womyn had not been given the right to vote, then GHWB would have won hands-down. womyn voted more for Clinton and yet, look what he did to womyn!

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

Liberty275,

“I like how 75X55 thinks that Bush famously breaking his pledge not to raise taxes didn't play a part in his loss to Bill Clinton.” --- porch_person

"Hogwash. Perot cost Bush the election." ---- LIberty275

=====

"The effect of Ross Perot's candidacy has been a contentious point of debate for many years. In the ensuing months after the election, various Republicans asserted that Perot had acted as a spoiler, enough to the detriment of Bush to lose him the election. While many disaffected conservatives may have voted for Ross Perot to protest Bush's tax increase, further examination of the Perot vote in the Election Night exit polls not only showed that Perot siphoned votes nearly equally among Bush and Clinton,[24] but of the voters who cited Bush's broken "No New Taxes" pledge as "very important," two thirds voted for Bill Clinton." --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_S...

Schmalz, Jeffrey (November 4, 1992), "Clinton Carves a Path Deep Into Reagan Country", The New York Times

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

Thinking_Out_Loud,

Reminds me of a joke. Wanna hear it? Too late.

I got arrested sneaking books into (insert Southern state here).

Got off on a technicality.

They couldn't prove they wuz books.

(laughter)

mr_right_wing 4 years, 2 months ago

Ronald Reagan demanded:

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Barak Obama would most likely whimper:

"I am here today representing the American people, to apologize for our part in the allies victory over Germany and Japan. We feel great remorse that we created a situation in which Adolf Hitler -- an incredibly misunderstood but great leader, I believe -- was left with no choice but suicide. His innocent blood is on all Americans hands. I also take responsibility as an American, that Mr. Hitler was backed into a corner by short-sighted forces like ours and had no choice but to open up concentration camps. The United States must share our part of the responsibility and shame for this. Mr. Gorbachev not only do I extend a very humble and heart-felt apology from our nation, I also invite you to The White House for a beer, a beer manufactured by communists of course, at which time we can discuss this wall. If nothing else comes of that meeting, Michelle does have some ideas on how to decorate the wall to make it look less intrusive. Please, I beg you, forgive America for all we do wrong, and thank you for your time."

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 2 months ago

re: the args over the race to the bottom in terms of U.S. presidencies.

Really? You'd rank any of these fellows lower than Pres. Fillmore, or Harding, or Grant, or Buchanan, or Pierce? Worse than either Taylor or Tyler?

Good heavens! Read some books, people!

diplomacy205 4 years, 2 months ago

georgiahawk, Ronald Reagan's military increase was a contributing factor in the fall of the Berlin Wall. The Soviets were forced to keep up their spending until they went bankrupt.

The Reagan Tax cuts fueled the economic growth that lasted most of the way through the Clinton administration. Unfortunately, once Congress started spending like it was play money, they never stopped. If Obama's spending plans pass, we will spend ourselves into bankruptcy.

georgiahawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Mr. Right wing wrong, it is spelled Reagan. President Reagan started the downfall of America, he was a total puppet and had no idea what was going on the last 3 years of his tenure (for proof look at any press conference from this period, he just circled around himself with his typical senile grandpa gibberish). How on earth anyone can see him as anything other than an old fool is beyond me. Thank God that Obama is the anti-Reagan! Liberty275, if you are not happy with your situation right now and need someone to blame it on, I believe the neocon bushies would be your group. No, I am not blaming bushie for all that is wrong, but Obama has not had the time to solve the problems left by the neocons. Give time and perspective a chance to develop before deciding when you were better off.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 2 months ago

You can call Obama the anti-Regan. I've gone over and listened to both of their various speeches and they pretty much completely contradict each other.

I was in college during the Regan administration, and I remember the horror stories about how the administration was trying to eliminate all financial aid; that had an impact on me and got me to thinking that I needed to get more serious about school and graduate while there was still a little financial aid there. Now I look back at the 'Cold War', no Regan didn't end the USSR on his own, but he definitely had a respectable part in outspending them militarily. So for helping me with my priorities in college and being a part to the end of the cold war, I thank you President Regan! (I can only imagine how much worse things are now with financial aid!)

Liberty275 4 years, 2 months ago

"Bush famously breaking his pledge not to raise taxes didn't play a part in his loss to Bill Clinton."

Hogwash. Perot cost Bush the election.

Also, Bill, get well. Hilary, DO NOT step on the oxygen line!

Liberty275 4 years, 2 months ago

The only worse president than obama was carter, and obama still has three more years of trying to destroy America to catch up. Next to Bill (or Hilary) Clinton, obama is a circus clown. Next to a circus clown, obama is a worse circus clown. At least Bill Clinton could lie with charm and without teleprompters.

Now on to the important stuff. My theory is that Bill has been messing with the portly intern again and just found out she is pregnant and the sex tape might come out. No wait, I'm getting my democrats mixed up.

LOL, two Americas. One where men don't cheat on their cancer-afflicted wives and one where they do..

leedavid 4 years, 2 months ago

Tom, I stand corrected. Obama is well on his way to overcome Carter and take the lead as the absolute worst president in the history of the nation.

justanothertroll 4 years, 2 months ago

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

I'd guess this is the most time Hillary has had to spend with Bill in quite awhile.....probably since the holidays.

Aww, you gotta love them Clintons. Think of the countless late night jokes they provided in the 90's.

Hopefully someday, I can look back at Obama, Pelosi and Reid and get a bit sentimental. NOT!

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 2 months ago

Best president in my lifetime...I was born in '81...get well soon, Slick Willy.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

"Carter, by far will go down as the worst president in the history of the nation. " -leedavid

Hold on, Obama's not done yet....of course, unless you mean history as of 10:47 pm 02/11/2010 when you posted that comment. Obama will take Carter's place.

macon47 4 years, 2 months ago

POOR GUY LOOKS MORE LIKE TEDDY KENNEDY EVERY DAY

Stuart Evans 4 years, 2 months ago

Porch, you act like the president actually controls those things. Recessions, tax hikes, war, etc. are all manipulated behind the curtain. the President is merely a tool. There's a much larger agenda, and if you haven't figured it out yet, then you haven't had your eyes open.

(insane laughter)

leedavid 4 years, 2 months ago

sierraclub:

Double digit inflation, unemployment, and interest rates coupled with Iran and the Panama Canal zone pretty much sealed the deal on Jimmy Carter.

Porch:

Do you think Obama is going to have to break his prominse and raise taxes on persons making less than $250,000.? That should be funny too. We will have to see.

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

(laughter)

That's funny!!

(laughter)

75x55 4 years, 2 months ago

"Both George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton had to raise taxes to cover Reagan's tax cuts. It's why Bush lost the election, remember?"

aw geez - it's like a third grader picking up a history book.

RogueThrill 4 years, 2 months ago

I also find it mildly amusing that the only president that was genuinely interested in paying down the debt was Bill Clinton. What did a bona fide small government conservative do with surplus given him in 2001, slated to pay down the debt your grandchildren inherit, do with the money?

Tax cuts and wars.

RogueThrill 4 years, 2 months ago

Thanksgiving isn't a christian holiday, it's American. If it were a christian holiday it would be universal.

You don't have to believe in a god to be thankful.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 2 months ago

I wonder if Clinton's dr.'s have advised him to cut back on his cheating, uh, I mean sexscapades?

sierraclub 4 years, 2 months ago

Carter?? Worst??? He is the last President to have NOT added debt to our country. He spent less then he taxed. How could he be the worst?? Reagan started the spending and since 1980, only Clinton came close to a balanced budget. Why did Reagan, Bush1, and Bush2 spend so much? Then Obama steps in, well we all know how that is doing!!! lol

leedavid 4 years, 2 months ago

Bob Kraxner 4 years, 2 months ago

Who gives a damn? That a$$hole should be sitting in the penetentiary in Leavenworth, which btw would be a much better use of our tax dollars than the outrageous amount he's getting for his retirement fund.

barrypenders 4 years, 2 months ago

Kid Lewinski knows how to handle women. He's probably back to his old style as we speak. That guy has the girls wrapped around his schtick, and style like the old pro that he is.

Stimulus, Kid Lewigi, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

mr_right_wing 4 years, 2 months ago

Okay, some would prefer Clinton over Obama...let's make it a little more difficult though...two of our worst (recent) Presidents ever... Obama vs. Carter ...??

I don't listen to Rush (he lost his cred. with me as a druggie) but I hoped for the best for him after his episode. (I found Wanda Sykes wishing kidney failure on anyone appalling.) Same for our past President, I hope Bill recovers soon. I really kinda liked he and George W. getting together to help out Haiti.

George Washington ("GW") was a great President...you guys shouldn't be picking on him. Tomorrow is Lincoln's b-day; he made the Christian holiday "Thanksgiving" official. Good man. (Go check out how many times "God" is mentioned in the proclamation before arguing with me.)

leedavid 4 years, 2 months ago

how good were you doing whilst bill was prez?

how good were you doing whilst gW was prez?

I know for me-there is no comparison.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I made much more under President Bush than Clinton. Under Clinton and serving in the military I was eligible for food stamps....

Here is another question...how good are you doing whilst Barrack is prez?

Again prayers for the President, his family and his friends....

macon47 4 years, 2 months ago

do you think monica will beat hillary to billy boys bed side ?

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

big bill is the man! always will be.

ask yourself:

how good were you doing whilst bill was prez?

how good were you doing whilst gW was prez?

I know for me-there is no comparison.

leedavid 4 years, 2 months ago

Prayers for the former President and a speedy recovery. His work for humanitarn efforts is still required.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 2 months ago

President Clinton has not managed his personal life entirely consistent with my values. His policy positions and mine often diverge. Yet his is a former President of the United States, and I wish him good health and a speedy recovery.

macon47 4 years, 2 months ago

i think slick willy is great he taught all of your daughers a bj was cool and all the other kids it was ok to lie under oath

it is a shame teddy isnt still alive so it could have driven him home

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

bearded_gnome,

Reagan's submitted budgets were larger than those of Congress. Look it up. Reagan spent money like a Beverly Hills trophy wife. Took us a Republican and a Democratic administration to pay off that credit card bill.

It's funny to read content from a conservative who's already forgotten George H. W. Bush's "Read my lips" pledge and how he had to break it.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 2 months ago

yep, remember that selecting Jawbone Joe Biden was Obama's first administrative act! LOL!

I'm just wondering: do they only give Bill Clinton *male nurses? or does he receive private duty nursing care?

once again Porchie's liberal slip is showing. Reagan was cheated by the demorat congress thatagreed to budget cuts and didn't deliver...but the stats are clear: cutting the rates, Reagan brought in more tax receipts. same for GWB.

Reagan's mistake was trusting that a dem congress would actually put in spending cuts! LOL! that's like a cat promising not to meow.

so, Shrewlary is rushing down to NY to be by his side ... so she can accidentally on purpose step on bill's oxygen line? remember she's got a history of violence. but I have to give Bill a little slack too: if I had to stay married to that, I think I'd stray too!

but yes, slick willie is a vast improvement over Mr. Obama!

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

I wish the best to Bill too. So the guy has a libido issue. He does some good things with the former Bush presidents. Hillary is doing an OK job too, compared to most of Obama's crew. Gates is another one who is doing the best he can do under the circumstances of this nightmare of an administration. Compared to this utter disaster and his cabal of Chicago thugs, the Clintons seem acceptable. They are Arkansas, no-holds-barred scrappers. Now, Biden claims ownership of the Iraq success.Unbelievable.

WOW!!

sierraclub 4 years, 2 months ago

The correct answer that Bill said would be: I did not have sex with those women!!!! or What is IS? My favorite line!!! My life partner loves that one!!!!

Amy Heeter 4 years, 2 months ago

He did not have sex with that woman. Get well soon Bill.

sierraclub 4 years, 2 months ago

Are you kidding me? The way he treated his wife is acceptable? Cheating on her left and right. No woman should be treated that way. No, Bill Clinton does not have a heart. But, he did a better job than Reagan and Bush. At least he did not spend a fortune. frwent, why are you a Rush fan??

Phil Minkin 4 years, 2 months ago

barrypenders (Anonymous) says…

C.L.a P. supporters are morning now. The Clinton, Letterman and Polanski female tag team will need philanderer Edwards to pick up the slack First of all it's "mourniing". Second how about making it S L aP by adding Gov Sanford. You could have a heck of a list of Repug cheaters, even if you only counted the ones with women.

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

ComradeRedRooster,

What do you know?

diplomacy205 4 years, 2 months ago

ComradeRedRooster (Anonymous) says…

diplomacy205 (Anonymous) says…

GW was a disaster.

The founder of our nation was not a disaster. He could have been king and chose to serve two terms. What is your problem with George Washington?

1). The attempt to resurrect him failed. 2). His constant spinning in his grave is the leading cause of man-made global warning.

barrypenders 4 years, 2 months ago

Kid Lewigi worked his magic til the last year of his term in office. The ecomony went into a resession and the Nasdaq crashed. Bush didn't have much to work with after the Kid's empowering of Usama to explode the twins.

Stimulus, Kid Lewigi, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

Clinton was dangerous but we had a balanced congress. Clinton was benefiting from the Reagan taxcuts and Bush 41s fiscal cuts.

Get well soon Slick Willy.

"We laugh at the ventriloquist's dummy, but what do you do when the dummy is President of the United States of America ?"

barrypenders 4 years, 2 months ago

The Arkansas kid was just down there in Haiti. There are alot of females that need assistance. The 'Kid' did rush down there to offer his help. Did Hill go with him?

Stimulus, Kid Lewigi, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

diplomacy205 (Anonymous) says…

GW was a disaster.

barrypenders 4 years, 2 months ago

C.L.a P. supporters are morning now. The Clinton, Letterman and Polanski female tag team will need philanderer Edwards to pick up the slack. E.L.a P. doesn't have the same ring to it, but, represents the same sexual behavior hold on females, coveted by PADs. (Progressive Articulate Disillutionists)

Stimulus, Under The Table Lewinskis, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

wysiwyg69 4 years, 2 months ago

It looks like all of that cocaine he did finally took a toll on his ol' ticker.

diplomacy205 4 years, 2 months ago

GW was a disaster. Thanks to Congress bickering, it appears that the worst of Obama's damage will be mitigated.

edjayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Earth to Shemon and Informed: Obama is not a leftist. His record has been just as conservative as Clinton. Hillary in 12!

edjayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

I suppose now the neocons are saying the GW was a better President then Obama....Give me a break.

diplomacy205 4 years, 2 months ago

I would gladly vote for Bill over anyone who I think will be running in 2012.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

Amen, Informed, amen. Isn't Obama an embarassment to a once great nation. Can we ever be great again after his four years, which is all he's getting?

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 2 months ago

From where I'm standing, I long for the days when Clinton was president. I'd take him over Obama ANY day! And that's from a conservative Republican.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

sierraclub (Anonymous) says…

Bill Clinton has a heart?

frwent (Anonymous) says…

Sierra, you are a total jerk.

frwent (Anonymous) says…

Palin is not dumber than a bag of hammers. My hammers are a whole lot smarter. She belongs to a party that pushes family values, and is globe trotting around spewing her “youbetcha” drivel.

She has a small child at home and a daughter that has a small child with no husband.

Family values????????

She was elected to lead the State of Alaska and crapped out on her electorate.

She was very responsible for John McCain losing the election, sensible people are terrified at the notion of “President Palin”

She can see Russia from her porch.

There is not enough “lipstick” to hide her colossal incompetance at nearly everything.

And some people want her to be president??

The sky is falling!!!!!!!!

Tom is actually dumber than that bag of hammers.

She is actually dumber than a pile of dirt and rocks.

Who's a total jerk? That'd be you frwent.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 2 months ago

MichaelJ (Anonymous) says… "uh, frwent….if it had been Limbaugh or any other con servative who had heart problems, you know darned well that some of the lefties on here would have said the same thing."

Let's see, it was thought that elRushbo had a heart attack on New Years Eve. Here is that thread:

diplomacy205 4 years, 2 months ago

The Democratic Party has gone so far left that Bill decided to become a Republican.

BlackVelvet 4 years, 2 months ago

uh, frwent....if it had been Limbaugh or any other con servative who had heart problems, you know darned well that some of the lefties on here would have said the same thing.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 2 months ago

Sierra, you are a total jerk.

rush limbaagh will have a field day with this.