Archive for Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Senate to take up resolution against schools using tax dollars to sue state

February 9, 2010

— A resolution aimed at discouraging a lawsuit by school districts against the state of Kansas is heading for a Senate debate.

The measure on Tuesday's Senate calendar attempts to scold school districts for using taxpayer dollars to finance litigation aimed at getting more state funding.

Republican Sen. Dick Kelsey of Goddard pushed the idea earlier in the session after 74 school districts filed a petition with the Kansas Supreme Court seeking to reopen a 2006 court ruling.

That ruling declared the school finance formula unconstitutional, prompting legislators to increase funding for school districts by $1 billion.

But with the state facing a $416 million budget gap, Kelsey and others say the money spent on lawsuits could be better spent on the classroom.

Comments

BadLlama 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm just curious--what evidence leads you to believe that schools are paid an exorbitant amount? Was it the 3700 teaching jobs that were lost in Kansas last year? Or maybe it was the talk of major school consolidations across the state?

It takes a lot of money to run a public school system. Teacher salaries, buildings and grounds maintenance, textbooks, computers, special education, at-risk, etc. That's just the tip of a very, very large iceberg.

I think at this point a lawsuit is meaningless--the state has no money to pay up even if they are found to have been acting unconstitutionally (which in my opinion, they are). This will be tied up for years in litigation. I'd love for schools to sue the state, but I'm afraid it won't have an affect. The state ignored the verdict in a lawsuit once, why shouldn't they think they can get away with it again?

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

KSMANIMAL, I was responding to braverthanu's post trying to deny me my voice. I wasn't asking for anything except my voice to state my opinion from someone who said if I don't like it , get out.

KSManimal 4 years, 2 months ago

consumer1 (Anonymous) says…

"I served/fought in the Military for my right to my opinion, what have you done?"

Had your school been adequately funded, perhaps you would understand that in this country people don't have to "do" anything in order to "earn" the right to form and express their own opinions. That right and a list of others are guaranteed by the constitution.

Having said that, let me also say thank you for your service.

And having said that, on behalf of myself and other taxpayers who funded your salary at that time let me say "you're welcome".

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

Spelling alert. I meant to say "except", not accept. the medications are wearing off now.

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

Jafs, I understand your question. I truley believe an internal audit made up of non-school affiliated people needs to conducted. I feel confident there are many many duplications of services at USD 497.

But, let me add. Congress saying schools are underfunded is like Clinton saying " I did not have sexual realtions with that woman". I believe Congress is the biggest criminal organization in the world.

jafs 4 years, 2 months ago

consumer,

If the money spent on schools is in fact already exorbitant, why did Congress' own study find that education was woefully underfunded?

kusp8 4 years, 2 months ago

Haha, good one consumer1 (no sarcasm). However, I do agree with SWGlassPit. Furthermore, if the schools can't sue using state funds to me that seems like not allowing somebody who's been arrested to have an attorney provided for him. After all, he's fighting the state too. Obviously, it's not the same thing, but the principle of the matter is still there. Just something to mull over.

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

Yello-er than you, I served/fought in the Military for my right to my opinion, what have you done? accept to try to tell other people what they should do

braverthanu 4 years, 2 months ago

Consumer1 --you could move to another country. Paying taxes is part of being a citizen of the U.S. If you don't like it, by all means...get the hell out.

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

Or another translation: Not all taxpayers agree with you spending money on attourney fee's so you can make more of a money grab, rather than manage the exhorbitant amount you already get.. Too include tax payers paying lobbyist to keep the big salaries intact.

Tristan Moody 4 years, 2 months ago

Translation: We know we're required by law to give you more money, but we don't care, and you're despicable for trying to hold us accountable. Just be glad you get the meager amount you do and shut up.

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

Amen!!! Good for you! Bring em into reality!!