Archive for Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Rep. John Murtha, Iraq war critic, dies at 77

February 9, 2010

— Rep. John Murtha, the tall, gruff-mannered former Marine who became the de facto voice of veterans on Capitol Hill and later an outspoken and influential critic of the Iraq War, died Monday. He was 77.

The Pennsylvania Democrat had been suffering complications from gallbladder surgery. He died at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, Va., spokesman Matthew Mazonkey said.

In 1974 Murtha, then an officer in the Marine Reserves, became the first Vietnam War combat veteran elected to Congress. Ethical questions often shadowed his congressional service, but he was best known for being among Congress’ most hawkish Democrats. He wielded considerable clout for two decades as the ranking Democrat on the House subcommittee that oversees Pentagon spending.

Comments

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

Billy Clinton is now in the hospital with ticker troubles.

I said the other day that I was concerned about all the old dems getting sick/dying off. You'all attacked me for stating my deep emotional concern for these dudes.

I hope it doesn't keep spreading to other dems, probably just a coincidence, but Karl Rove hasn't been seen lately?

Thing 4 years, 2 months ago

Having been in bunkers, exchanging fire, I sure as hell wouldn't want supertramp covering my back.

Thing 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't know if PP is a stalker, but he/she/it is an ardent follower of Saul Alinsky based on his postings.

tbaker 4 years, 2 months ago

I'll miss Murtha the Marine. May God bless him and his family. The uniform services have lost a true advocate.

As for Murtha the politician, I'm glad he is no longer a part of the US congress. He was a corrupt hypocrite of the most vile sort.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

Healthcare_Moocher 4 years, 2 months ago

With Murtha the earmark king and Teddy Kennedy the, well, I am not going to bust on them for checking out, but, it is a good day for the taxpayer. I'll just leave it at that.

Thank you both for your military service, your service to the public, well, I feel I have been serviced well. (Pass the vasoline)

(laughter)

Maybe if you just keep repeating it, it might come true.

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

PP, I don't flag, you apparently have the flag button going full throttle.

You threatened me, you violated the LJW policy.

You have been stalking and harassing in your online behavior, it is quite disturbing and telling. You have admitted your behavior, you posted the threats, you posted the harassing comments, you are a stalker, you've admitted it. Now you're denying it? Incredible

So what can you say for yourself that you haven't already admitted? On this thread and another you are quoted threatening me. Now you're trying to get away from the fact that you said it and have contradicted yourself. You're caught, it is in front of your face!

In several instances you were caught misinforming the community and blatantly lying about what was posted.

You are a threat to persons and open discussion.

supertrampofkansas,

Well spoken.

ComradeRedRooster,

It's not "threatening" to repeat what you provided yourself, even if TomShewmon (and you) didn't remember you doing it.

(laughter)

You sound like a blogger who has been bounced in the past. The only thing we don't know is your former name but the behavior is there.

=====

"As for your claim that I “wished democrats would die”, that is ridiculous, it is part of your warped argumentative playbook, step 2. I said nothing of the sort" ---- ComradeRedRooster

It appears that the LJ World moderators disagree with you. The offending post has been removed. I won't repeat what was said there but it has been reposted by others enough times.

=====

"However, you clearly threatened me at 3:34. I have saved the post for future reference and/or reporting.

You have been stalking me on the forum, now you're threatening me clearly in violation of the user policy." ---- ComradeRedRooster

This is what you are representing constitutes "a threat". It appears that the LJ World moderators disagree with you on this point as well.

"ComradeRedRooster,

TomShewmon's behavior has been so repetitious that people have created satire of it. The content I reposted was composed by Agnostick, a blogger TomShewmon is currently calling “a fantastical joke”.

You're worried that you'll be bounced because you posted earlier today that you wished Democrats would die faster. You've attempted to portray me as threatening you because I point out the hatred such sentiment exposes.

You bring nothing here but hatred. You sound and feel like a “returning player”. ----- porch_person

=====

I wouldn't bet on LJ World moderators buying the "I'm being threatened" line of nonsense you and TomShewmon are trying to get to fly again. Not after this morning.

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't have much to say about the commentary on here but I can tell you if I was sitting in a foxhole exchanging gunfire with the enemy, I much rather have John Murtha next to me than any of you pansies spitting on the man's grave. That is my 2 cents worth anyway.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

It certainly appears that way to me too, ComradeRR. Watch your back. I wonder why the moderators don't act, especially when they have a formerly banned participant back just to do it all over again. What is that all about?

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh porch_person, You've gone too far, you continue to threaten another participant. You know who I am, you linked to where I have stated my name months ago, that you track my posts and have probably done some simple research using some internet searches with my name raises some suspicion.

Bounced? Bounced off the payment, bounced off the wall? You're threatening me, you're 3:34 post is a threat.

As for your claim that I "wished democrats would die", that is ridiculous, it is part of your warped argumentative playbook, step 2. I said nothing of the sort. However, you clearly threatened me at 3:34. I have saved the post for future reference and/or reporting.

BrianR 4 years, 2 months ago

John Murtha served his country and continued in public service until his dying day. Have a little respect. Some of your comments are disgraceful.

ComradeRedRooster,

TomShewmon's behavior has been so repetitious that people have created satire of it. The content I reposted was composed by Agnostick, a blogger TomShewmon is currently calling "a fantastical joke".

You bring nothing here but hatred. You sound and feel like a "returning player".

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

Tom, You hit the nail on the head. Murtha was corrupt, was not a good legislator, was a suspect American, and lived a long life. Nothing left to really say, some here are of the opinion it is good for the country, for others they have lost an ally in their fight to destroy America.

Personally, I didn't like the guy. I am concerned about the recent loss of some of our nations most corrupt politicians. Apparently most are on the left...

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

Classic step 2 maneuver used by Porch_person to avoid discussion or to make a reasonable, polite response.

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

"Blah blah blah far-left zealot blah blah secular progressive bl blah Obama blah blah Pelosi blah blah blah Reid blah blah Dem congress blah blah blah Mr. Rogers blah blah Soros/moveon blah blah liberal blah blah socialist blah blah marxist blah blah Rasmussen blah blah Kool-aid drinkers blah blah blah corrupt liberal news networks blah blah blah corrupt liberal media blah blah blah award-winning forum blah blah agnostick blah blah blah centrist blah blah blah

blah blah blah Mr. Kealing? blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

WOW!"

=======

1 February 2010 at 9:34 a.m.

unsavoryagent 4 years, 2 months ago

Tom:

Criticize easy, govern hard!

Waaah! Democracy hard!

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

Necessarily, Murtha is a perfect example of what happens when Bush Derangement Syndrome strikes. We see it with numerous LJW on line neighbors.

Common sense? Out the window? Scruples? Gone. Honesty? None. Hypocrisy? Truckloads.

Murtha absolutely hated Bush and salivated to destroy him, at any costs. Harry Reid is another of his ilk-----there are many of them. The corrupt leftist media sides with them, extracting their on-air agendas from the far-left blogosphere.The BDS stricken left are panicked over Tea Partiers, Fox News, Palin, Beck, Hannity, Coulter, Rush, O'Reilly and anyone else who does not toe their party line BS and is standing up to them. They become paralyzed and can only spew their lame moveon/dailykos/mediamatters talking points.

Tom,

(Step 2) Claim their quote should be interpreted to mean s/he supports ‘X’ ('X' = anything you want, like paving the streets with post-notes. Similar to how porchie claims you say something, even when he quoted you saying the exact opposite. It really doesn't matter what 'X' is, as long as it is ridiculous, and keeps the opponent on the defensive to distract from the fact you can't back up your argument). Alternatively, repeat step 1, and using the two random quotes claim they contradict each other.

We're attempting to have a discussion with a ideologue incapable of having a discussion. Porch_Person has been throwing step 2 out a lot today.

(laughter)

So immunity is something that the prosecution offers a defendant to protect the defendant against the prosecution who is offering it?

That's funny.

Can every defendant avail him or herself of this "protection" or do they have to have a preexisting condition, like "guilty as hell and this is the only way out"?

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

Still on with the "You're someone from my past" crap.

(laughter)

Tom, just today, you forgot that ComradeRedRooster had mentioned his name to the forum. That's just today. If you can't remember things, get a pen and paper.

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

poochie, Innocent until proven guilty, it's a constitutional guarantee.

Immunity is protection, in this case against wrongful prosecution.

DOH!

You're dim.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

I thought you said a few years ago that wiki was not too reliable, porchie?

unsavoryagent 4 years, 2 months ago

"Something stupid. Again."

Oh, did you not get the airport joke? See, there's this like million dollar John "maybe we could do business" Murtha Airport, which John "great for his country" Murtha had built and maintained with Federal,

wait, you did understand the joke, didn't you? Gosh you people are smart!

ComradeRedRooster,

People who have done nothing wrong need no immunity.

There's nine Marines who said "I'll tell you what happened as long as you don't prosecute me for it.". That's a pretty strong indication of the case the Marine Corps had against them, from the soldiers themselves.

You've forgotten about Staff Sargent Frank Wuterich. He's still indicted.

You've made an error. You're not bright, are you?

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

Poochie, Immunity is not a conviction or an admission of guilt.

too easy

deathpenaltyliberal 4 years, 2 months ago

"unsavoryass (Anonymous) says… "

Something stupid. Again.

unsavoryagent 4 years, 2 months ago

"You would do well to serve the country like Murtha did. Godspeed, John Murtha."

...there's a great big airport waiting for you on the other side...

deathpenaltyliberal 4 years, 2 months ago

"Thing (Anonymous) says… Glad Murtha is gone! " "ComradeRedRooster (Anonymous) says… Murtha was a clown, his legacy is shameful." "TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says… Let's hope his voters remember his “redneck” comment and realize what a corrupt hypocrite Murtha was"

We know who the clowns and hypocrites are. Your hateful comments demonstrate your ignorance and blind partisanship. You are a bunch of whiners who never contribute anything to our country.

You would do well to serve the country like Murtha did. Godspeed, John Murtha.

ComradeRedRooster,

I already have. Nine Marines have been granted immunity for their testimony (not exonerated) and SSgt Frank Wuterich is still being prosecuted at this time.

He has a web site where you can contribute to his legal fees.

(laughter)

I repeat: Someone needs to sit you down and explain to you the difference between "not guilty" and "granted immunity in exchange for testimony".

Someone should also tell you how it reflects upon you when you don't seem to know the difference.

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

Poochie, You haven't answered my question, who was found guilty? Waiting...

Expecting to read steps 2, 4 and 6 maybe 8

remember_username 4 years, 2 months ago

ComradeRedRooster - I must disagree with the perception of some of your statements in that post at 10:40 (except the one about bad haiku - that was spot on). My first thought is that Congressman Murtha was wrong to make comments on an investigation in progress. However, after checking on the facts he appeared to be responding to an already completed investigation by Maj. Gen. Eldon Bargewell in which the deaths of 24 Iraqi civilians were investigated rather than the 15 deaths originally reported by the USMC. 15 of the 24 civilians, including both women and children (ages 1, 3, 4, 5, 5, 10, and 14) were killed, after entering the houses of the deceased. Many of those killed were as a result of small arms fire to the head and chest rather than by shrapnel. Thus the statement “They actually went into the houses and killed women and children. And there was about twice as many as originally reported by Times” seems accurate to me. Admission from those Marines granted immunity support the above investigations, as did the many photographs taken from the scene during the investigation.

A Congressman Murtha comment from the same report that you left out said, in part, "Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood," Gen. Bargewell’s report placed the majority of blame on the “rules of engagement”; a excerpt from the report states "Statements made by the chain of command during interviews for this investigation, taken as a whole, suggest that Iraqi civilian lives are not as important as U.S. lives, their deaths are just the cost of doing business, and that the Marines need to get 'the job done' no matter what it takes. These comments had the potential to desensitize the Marines to concern for the Iraqi populace and portray them all as the enemy even if they are noncombatants. . . .” I am certain that Congressman Murtha was well aware of those pressures that can cause a Marine to behave less than honorably and that all too often those that have never been in combat will place the blame of an atrocity on the grunt in the field, not upon the conditions in which he/she must operate. I, for one, do not "cringe" or "curse" John Muthra for calling like he saw it.

unsavoryagent 4 years, 2 months ago

Porch_Person:

"He's a troll."

unsavoryagent 4 years, 2 months ago

"Murtha voted in 2002 to authorize President George W. Bush to use military force in Iraq"

Maybe the headline here should be "Rep. John Murtha, Iraq war supporter, dies at 77"

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

Unsavory agent lives in East LA. He's a troll.

ComradeRedRooster,

"On April 17, 2007, the Marine Corps dropped all charges against Sgt. Sanick P. De la Cruz in exchange for his testimony. Seven other Marines involved in the incident have also been granted immunity.[48]

On August 9, 2007, all charges against Lance Cpl. Justin Sharratt and Capt. Randy Stone were dropped.[35] On October 19, Lance Cpl. Justin Sharratt's commanding officer decided the charges should be lowered to involuntary manslaughter, reckless endangerment and aggravated assault.[10]

On September 18, 2007, all charges against Captain Lucas McConnell were dropped in exchange for immunity and his cooperation with the investigation.[49]

On March 28, 2008, all charges against LCpl. Stephen Tatum were dropped.[50]

On June 17, 2008, all charges against Lt. Col. Jeffrey Chessani were dismissed by the military judge citing unlawful command influence.[12] The Marine Corps has appealed that ruling."

SSgt. Frank Wuterich's case is still being prosecuted. Jeez, with about nine Marines getting immunity in exchange for testimony and the idiot going on 60 Minutes, kinda sucks to be Frank Wuterich right now.

======

"On May 9, Sergeant Sanick De la Cruz, who received immunity in return for testimony, testified that he watched Staff Sergeant Frank Wuterich shoot five Iraqis who were attempting to surrender.

Cruz further testified that both he and Wuterich fired into the bodies of the five after they were dead, and that he had urinated on one of the dead Iraqis.[38][39]

Marines walk past “gas station” in Haditha, Iraq

No weapons were found in the white taxi.[40]

The US military has attempted to subpoena material from a 60 Minutes interview with Staff Sergeant Wuterich, specifically material where Wuterich admits to ordering his men to "shoot first and ask questions later."[41] The interview includes Wuterich insisting he perceived a threat from house 1 but saw no gun fire from that house and that he saw no insurgent enter that house. He suggests he saw the dead family in house 1 and proceeded to assault house 2 based on a guess that the gunman may have entered that house. The Marines knocked on the door of house 2 and when someone came to answer they fired through the door killing what they saw to be an unarmed man. They then assaulted the house and killed the family inside. Wuterich believes now that there was probably no threat to begin with.[42]"

---- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haditha_...

=====

ComradeRedRooster, don't know what you think the Marine Corps is about but it's not shooting unarmed civilians after they are dead and then pissing on the bodies.

"Super Patriot" wannabes like you sicken me.

unsavoryagent 4 years, 2 months ago

"The gallbladder surgery was performed days earlier at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md."

Had enough government run health care, Mr. Murtha?

unsavoryagent 4 years, 2 months ago

"In 2007 and 2008, Murtha and two fellow Democrats on the subcommittee directed $137 million to defense contractors who were paying PMA to get them government business. Between 1989 and 2009, Murtha collected more than $2.3 million in campaign contributions from PMA's lobbyists and corporate client."

Had enough?

unsavoryagent 4 years, 2 months ago

"We do business for a while, maybe I'll be interested and maybe I won't."

--John Murtha.

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

Portly, Who was found guilty of a crime as a result of the military action in Haditha?

unsavoryagent 4 years, 2 months ago

Meh.

Ex Marine he was.

nonnumquam fi!

EXks 4 years, 2 months ago

Some of you old geezers are approaching end-of-life and have one foot in the grave yourselves, expect a visit from Darwin.

Regressive evolution, church of Palintology, glen beck tin foil hat syndrome

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

Apologies for the bad editing on that last post.

"They were aquitted! That means N o t G u i l t y." --- ComradeRedRooster

====

“The Times published the result of the first investigation, under U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Eldon Bargewell, along with interviews with eye witnesses. It noted that the “official investigation has already resulted in the removal of Lieutenant Colonel Jeffrey Chessani, the commanding officer, and Captain Luke McConnell and Captain James Kimber, two company commanders, from their duties.”

“On April 17, 2007, the Marine Corps dropped all charges against Sgt. Sanick P. De la Cruz in exchange for his testimony. Seven other Marines involved in the incident have also been granted immunity.[48]

On March 28, 2008, all charges against LCpl. Stephen Tatum were dropped.[50]

====

(laughter)

You're not real bright, are you wannabe?

(laughter) On June 17, 2008, all charges against Lt. Col. Jeffrey Chessani were dismissed by the military judge citing unlawful command influence.[12] The Marine Corps has appealed that ruling.”

Thing 4 years, 2 months ago

By the way Defender, I have been in the government since I retired from the military. I am enroute to language school for a year in DC and then on to my new posting. Up until the time he made those statements about individual Marines, I stood up for him. Not after that. Bennedict Arnold was a hero until he turned on his own country. Murtha was little different to me.

Portly,

They were aquitted! That means N o t G u i l t y.

Durka durka

ComradeRedRooster,

Your beloved Corps seems to disagree with you, wannabe.

TomShewmon,

Did I lose you at "Frank Wuterich" as well?

Talk about selective vision.

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

Again, shooting combatants in the back is not a war crime. Shooting unarmed combatants is not a war crime. Shooting prisoners is a warcrime. The combatants in Haditha did not surrender. Clearing a room with a grenade is SOP, standard operating procedure. If you are an innocent civilian in that room, sucks to be you. Don't be in a room, in a house, in a neighborhood, that supports terrorists and you won't have Marines tossing grenades in your room to clear it.

ComradeRedRooster,

Someone should explain to you the difference between being exonerated and being given immunity for your testimony.

Wannabe.

75x55 4 years, 2 months ago

"Calling Murtha a traitor for opposing the Iraq War smells rank."

Flip it -

"Calling Murtha a hero for opposing the Iraq War smells rank."

One's service does not sanctify their actions subsequent to that service. There leads the dirt road to sycophancy - and a load of you folks have some really dirty shoes.

Portly_Person,

Shooting combatants in the back does not a warcrime make. Combatants, legal or illegal, have two options, to surrender or to die. If they choose to die then they do it by fighting or running. Had the marines allowed them to runaway and regroup to attack them again then they may have lost more men. It is a tough war, but when the enemy deploys civilians, employs tactics against the laws of war, then collateral damage is going to occur. Were 'innocent' civilians killed? Don't know, I do know the marines were aquitted. That means they were not "guilty". Murtha was a fat blow hard that disgraced these men's good name and the reputation of the USMC. That is why I am not upset with his passing, quite the opposite.

Thing 4 years, 2 months ago

No defender, it is you and your ilk that are scum! I did 20 plus years in the Army. I did a tour in Vietnam, you leftist twit. Murtha was an un-indicted co-conspirator as well as a liar.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

Porch, you lost me at Scott Pelley and CBS news.

ComradeRedRooster,

As far as the outcome of the investigations, "exoneration" isn't a term I would use.

===

"The Times published the result of the first investigation, under U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Eldon Bargewell, along with interviews with eye witnesses. It noted that the "official investigation has already resulted in the removal of Lieutenant Colonel Jeffrey Chessani, the commanding officer, and Captain Luke McConnell and Captain James Kimber, two company commanders, from their duties."

On March 28, 2008, all charges against LCpl. Stephen Tatum were dropped.[50]

---- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haditha_...

=====

Shooting civilians in the back? Is that your "Marine Corps", ComradeRedRooster? Going through a neighborhood of civilians indiscriminately tossing grenades through doors?

Jeez, I wonder why the area was hostile to Marines.

ComradeRedRooster,

What you and your buddies think was unpersuasive to the people of Pennsylvania and the United States Marine Corps.

=====

Frank Wuterich in interview on 60 Minutes regarding the Haditha massacre.

=====

"Normally, the Iraqis know the drill when you’re over there. They know if something happens, they know exactly what they need to do. Get down, hands up, and completely cooperate. These individuals were doing none of that. They got out of the car [and] as they were going around they started to take off, so I shot at them," he tells Pelley.

As the men ran from Wuterich, he says he shot them in the back.

"How does these men running away from the scene, as you describe it, square with hostile action or hostile intent?" asks Pelley.

"Because hostile action, if they were the triggermen, would have blown up the IED. Which would also constitute hostile intent. But also at the same time, there were military-aged males that were inside that car. The only vehicle, the only thing that was out, that was Iraqi, was them. They were 100 meters away from that IED. Those are the things that went through my mind before I pulled the trigger. That was positive identification," Wuterich tells Pelley.

Other witnesses, including Marines, dispute that the men were running. Wuterich was charged with lying that day to the platoon sergeant, saying the Iraqi men fired on the convoy.

When the vehicle was searched, what was found?

"I believe nothing. I don’t remember partaking in the search," he said. "But, as far as I know, there wasn’t anything found."

And the men were not armed.

"How much time has passed from the moment of the explosion to the time that you killed these five men?" Pelley asks.

"I would say within about two minutes," Wuterich says.

----- http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/15/60minutes/main2574973_page3.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

====

""But when you roll a grenade in a room through the crack in the door, that’s not positive identification, that’s taking a chance on anything that could be behind that door," Pelley says.

"Well that’s what we do. That’s how our training goes," he says.

Next, Wuterich says he glanced into the room and he saw bodies.

"…I remember there may have been women in there, may have been children in there," he says. "

---- http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/15/60minutes/main2574973_page4.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 2 months ago

Just because he serve in the military doesn't make him a great servant of the people of PA or USA. Can't remember ever agreeing with him but may be rest in peace.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 2 months ago

It is amazing how many Patriotic Americans do not hold respect for a veteran simply because they did not like his political views.

It is proof positive that these people have no morals or values whatsoever, only sides. They will scream patriotism one moment, but ignore it the next just because someone disagrees with them.

They are the worst failures of America.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

Murtha was in Pelosi's inner circle. This incontrovertible fact, plus his constituent's memory of being called 'rednecks' and his long history of corruption in a time when corruption is currently seen as rife in DC puts this seat up for grabs, R/D.

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

Portly_Person, Every Marine I've had a discussion with and Murtha was mentioned, cringed and cursed him. That's enough for me.

Last I read, the Marines were aquitted of wrong doing. Only the officers who weren't there are still pending charges, not for any actions at Haditha but for actions later.

In the current political climate Murtha wouldn't have made it. He was (good to write "was") a socialist bum.

(Last Laugh)

Rhine 4 years, 2 months ago

Patriotism really is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

ComradeRedRooster,

"The Haditha killings (also called the Haditha incident or the Haditha massacre) refers to the incident where 24 Iraqi men, women and children were killed by a group of United States Marines on November 19, 2005 in Haditha, a city in the western Iraq province of Al Anbar. At least 15 of those killed were noncombatant civilians. It has been alleged that the killings were retribution for the attack on a convoy of Marines with an improvised explosive device that killed Lance Corporal Miguel Terrazas.

---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haditha_...

====

What is funny to me, ComradeRedRooster, is that the United States Marine Corp never "disowned" John Murtha.

Furthermore, the "patriotic public" kept John Murtha in Congress for over forty years. No congressman from Pennsylvania has served longer in Congress than John Murtha. In other words, you could not be more wrong.

John Murtha was a Marine, a Vietnam vet, pro-life, and anti-gun control. Jeez, given some of the positions you've taken here, I would have thought such a man would have been "your kinda guy".

Guess not.

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

Porch, It's dangerous when you deliver a lie because it shows that you're a liar.

If you don't know the truth, if you tell lies like John Murtha, things like the USMC disowning you occur. It tends to sour a patriotic public against your unpatriotic rhetoric.

mickeyrat 4 years, 2 months ago

How many of those here who would question Rep. Murtha's honorable service in the "Corp" (sic) would call Oliver North a hero for breaking the law (re: the Boland Amendment, forbidding aid to the Nicaraguan Contras)?

As a reward for breaking his oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States, a certain Republican party tried to make him a Senator, and when Virginia failed to be duped, he got rewarded with a show on Fox News.

Calling Murtha a traitor for opposing the Iraq War smells rank.

ComradeRedRooster,

It's dangerous when you deny the truth because it shows that you've done bad things.

If you can't take the truth from a Marine like John Murtha, things like My Lai, Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib, and Haditha occur and reoccur.

ComradeRedRooster 4 years, 2 months ago

That debacle in europe back in 1918 and again 1941-45. Wasn't America's fight, right sfjayhawk?

Korea was another example of American adventurism, right?

Murtha was a clown, his legacy is shameful. He disgraced his service when he attacked the honor and integrity of the USMC.

sfjayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

He was many different things to many people - but no one can argue that he was correct on his assessment on the Iraq war debacle - and the fact that he didnt want any more marines lives thrown away by a president that knew nothing about what service in the military was all about was a service to the military.

Defender 4 years, 2 months ago

Thing=America hating traitor of the highest degree. How dare you denigrate this mans service to our country. You, sir, are scum.

Bad Haiku, Bad Murtha

Murtha is the clown, A Porkulus maximus Criminal he was

Ex-Marine was he No integrity no honor Shameful legacy

Murtha dishonored Calls them war criminals Chicken hawk coward

Now he must reply Why he bad mouthed U.S. In Hell forever try

"They actually went into the houses and killed women and children. And there was about twice as many as originally reported by Times." (Murtha, Reuters, May 19, 2006)

BLITZER: The marines say they're still investigating. They don't know what happened yet. The pentagon says the same thing. How do you know what happened?

MURTHA: Wolf, you read the "Time" magazine articles. There are pictures, there are photos. You don't have to talk to the military about the proof. (Murtha, on CNN/Wolf Blitzer, May 19, 2006...

"We've become the enemy." (Murtha, Jan. 5, 2006 during Arlington Forum)

75x55 4 years, 2 months ago

When does a Marine falsely label other Marines 'baby killers'? I'm not sure he retained the honor of that label.

Be that as it may, past service is never quite a measure of future performance - unqualified and unexamined loyalty is a dangerous thing indeed.

rhd99 4 years, 2 months ago

Like all Americans who served in uniform to protect our freedoms, regardless of political affiliation, Murtha's efforts to keep America safe & free from tyrannical terrorists must not be forgotten. I have deep respect for him & all who have made sacrifices so that our way of life can be protected. May he rest in peace.

remember_username 4 years, 2 months ago

The above comments are a perfect example of bi-partisan rhetoric overshadowing the respect due a man who served his country with honor. Congressman Murtha volunteered to serve in Vietnam as a reservist who had already fulfilled a military obligation to his country. This in a time so many others were joining the reserve branches in order to avoid combat. Congressman Murtha may have been accused of flirting with the boundary of political ethics, but only to bring jobs to the district he represented, not for personal gain. He was awarded a Bronze Star (V) and two purple hearts among other decorations for his service in Vietnam, and as a congressman did what he could for the people he represented - all else is pure bull crap. Semper fi, Colonel.

EXks 4 years, 2 months ago

Cheney's obituary will read: war criminal, liar, 5-time draft dodger, never served chicken-hawk, 2 unfinished wars, and responsible for the unnecessary deaths of thousands

GOP = Regressive Evolution, church of Palintology, glen beck tin foil hat syndrome

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

Marines are supposed to be honorable people and I believe they are. However, at least in his later years, Murtha was anything but honorable. I am from a military family and totally respect anyone who serves/served.

But again, Murtha played a dishonorable role in his political life. This is indisputable. And again, had he had an (R) behind his title, the dishonest liberal media would have dragged him through the mud on a daily basis.

This man was known as the pork-barrel king, and given the fact that the left singles out Republicans as warmongers who are in tight with the military-industrial complex is even more outlandish, as Murtha carried the torch in that respect. He was defense contractor's "go-to" guy in congress.

porch_person 4 years, 2 months ago

A Marine has died through what was a surgical screwup, not a "complication". This is no occasion for celebration.

Godspeed, John. Semper Fi.

(salute)

barrypenders 4 years, 2 months ago

Mothra could have destroyed Godzilla if it could. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bhoWf...

Stimulus, Mothra Dies, and Posercare live unprcedented

Darwin bless us all

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

Undoubtedly one of the most unscrupulous politicians in the history of the United States. If he had been a Republican, the media would've mercilessly crucified him for his behavior and actions. More liberal hypocrisy, piled high, hot 'n steamin'.

yankeevet 4 years, 2 months ago

that fool is now with the other fool; kennedy; both worthless; greedy; lyin dogs; rum/scotch drinkers; ; living off the taxpayers...........worthless .................someday i will tell u how i really feel..........

Rhine 4 years, 2 months ago

Old Porky the pig didn’t like pork going over seas. A real hero of American pigs. Too bad he died before he could take advantage of the current unprecedented wasteful spending.

Eybea Opiner 4 years, 2 months ago

It reflects the sad state of our politicians when a man who was an "unindicted co-conspiritor" in a bribery scam, and who, in that scam, left the door open to collecting future bribes, is lionized by so many.

Not only was Murtha ethically challenged, he also used his power to funnel over $150 million to a small, local airport that bears his name.

Finally, he accused members of our military of "cold-blooded murder," reflecting not the facts of the case, but his own disenchantment of the war.

Condolences to the family, but I won't mourn his passing.

jaywalker 4 years, 2 months ago

Wasn't a fan of the politics he adopted late in his career, but the man served his country twice. You have to respect that.
Semper Fi, John, and Godspeed.

Thing 4 years, 2 months ago

No Cappy. Crooked Traitor Libtard

Kontum1972 4 years, 2 months ago

i met John Murtha where i work...he knew the Dog of War just as i do.....

John you will be missed....you are my hero..i will see u in the next world...HuRah..!

Hand Salute..!

Thing 4 years, 2 months ago

Glad Murtha is gone! He was an embarrasment to the Corp as well to this country.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

Let's hope his voters remember his "redneck" comment and realize what a corrupt hypocrite Murtha was and vote in a Republican to replace him in the special election.

diplomacy205 4 years, 2 months ago

Rep. Murtha was a man of the highest courage. He tried to do what he thought was best.

The story has a typo. He was not a former Marine. He was a retired Marine. Semper Fi

bjfisher 4 years, 2 months ago

Politically speaking...It's a good day for America. Two down, and several yet to go. Anytime a Liberal is lost it's a good day for the Country. Let them die out or vote them out, either way it's a good day!