Archive for Tuesday, February 9, 2010

KU employee suspected of charging personal items on university credit card

February 9, 2010, 3:53 p.m. Updated February 9, 2010, 4:35 p.m.

A Kansas University employee is suspected of using a university credit card for personal use at a Lawrence grocery store, police said Tuesday.

University police said the suspect, who was not arrested, charged up $526.25 at HyVee, 4000 W. Sixth St. The charges were made between Dec. 11 and Feb. 3.

The KU Public Safety Office’s assistant police chief, Chris Keary, said the employee had access to the card for university reasons, but used it personally.

Comments

psjnk 4 years, 2 months ago

people don't think state employees work hard they should come to our office and see how much we have to do in one days time - most of us don't have time to mess around - and with no raises for the past year with no raise again and in the past we went with out raises for longer than than 2 yrs - as the saying goes walk a mile in our shoes before you put all state workers down as slugs.

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 2 months ago

red_devil - we are all hard working taxpayers who do not like having our earnings stolen to pay for people to sit and do next to nothing! You may like paying for nothing, but the rest of us don't.

red_devil 4 years, 2 months ago

I find it interesting how people come on here and comment about how people in certain fields of work are overpaid, and comment about how they don't do anything, blah, blah, blah. And no, I don't work for the university nor do i know anyone who does, but who the f**k do you people think you are?!?!

RockChalkRoughNeck 4 years, 2 months ago

It's a sad state of affairs but things like these tend to happen when someone is only making 8 to 10 dollars per hour.

sherbert 4 years, 2 months ago

I would guess the employee did not enjoy doing this, they were probably doing it to feed their family. I know a lot of people are in situations they never imagined they'd be in, hope it turns around soon.

George_Braziller 4 years, 2 months ago

Company credit cards are a nightmare for a business accounting office. It's a constant battle to get people to turn in receipts on a timely basis with the proper documentation. The article didn't indicate how many other cards were in use at the same time in the same department. There could be 20 different cards all on the same account being used by 20 or 30 different people. It's not like your personal credit card when you're the only person using it.

Stuff like this is going to happen no matter how many checks and balances you have in place. From the time frame listed it was only one or two cycles of the bill before it was caught. That's actually pretty impressive.

sluggette 4 years, 2 months ago

This is certainly improper use of a state credit card and should not be tolerated, however, I would love to see the state expend energy towards making the Administrators and Professors accountable for their time. Too many take advantage, working part-time while earning high salaries at the taxpayers expense!

bennyoates 4 years, 2 months ago

lawrenceguy40 (Anonymous) says…

pywacket - remember they worked for KU. Intelligence is not a prerequisite for employment there! +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ If that's true you ought to apply to be the next chancellor. No, you wouldn't even have to bother applying.

riverdrifter 4 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like an oversight problem to me. I used to have a $100,000 U.S. government Mastercard. I had to account for every single nickle purchased on it and had to assign each purchase to an account #. If I would've purchased so much as as a hotdog with it I would've been called out on it. My account was audited by the month.

sunny 4 years, 2 months ago

There is a whole lot of abuse that goes on at KU! Including the number of hours that are supposedly worked each week.

hbjayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Judging by the amount of the HyVee charge, it sounds like Mangino . . .

workinghard 4 years, 2 months ago

There is a new user on the KU employee theft story called watchinmyback that has posted two comments on that and another story. Seems quite opinionated. Anyone care to go take a look and try to guess if it is a previous disappeared user?

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

lawrenceguy40~ Because of unrealistic job security granted to government employees, there are a lot of idiots working at KU--but there are also a lot of brilliant and under-appreciated people there.

I worked at KU three separate times--before I went to school there, as a student hourly, then after I received my degree, and there was a wide range in competence, diligence, and integrity among those I worked with/for. I would say, a wider range than in the private sector, which would weed out some of the blatantly incompetent/dishonest/lazy ones that KU is forced to keep around. They are balanced out by many, many dedicated, excellent, intelligent workers who carry more than their share of the load.

Anyway, it would take a special level of stupid to try to pull off a stunt like that. Glad the person got caught.

Also, I commend juscin3 for turning in the thief. This does not make him a snitch--it makes him a responsible and consciencious person who resents it when a-holes rip us ALL off--which is what the person was doing.

srj says, "I can see someone pulling out and using the wrong card once, we have all done that before."

Uh, no..... not all of us have done that before--at least, not if the "wrong card" was one that was issued by one's employer. I hope you are talking about "wrong card" as in both being your personal cards, but intending to use the other one.

I've had an employer card for a long time (and had them at previous jobs) and never once "accidentally" used the employer's card for personal purchases. You put it in a different sleeve in your wallet--or whatever you need to do.

watchinmyback 4 years, 2 months ago

Healthcare_Moocher 4 years, 2 months ago

workinghard 4 years, 2 months ago

So you think juscin3 should have done nothing and let it go on?

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 2 months ago

juscin3 - not something to boast about. Are you just practicing for the arrival of barry o's socialist state and believe a track record of snitching to the authorities will give you extra kudos with the authoritarian regime?

juscin3 4 years, 2 months ago

Well, I know that someone who worked at KU a while back. He had stolen money from the donation boxes from the museum's and he had taken cleaning supplies for personal use. He also took some other things. I turned him in to the KUPD and they talked to him and he admitted to doin it and they fired him. And for doin that, I got a reward for it. :)

workinghard 4 years, 2 months ago

"Keary said the case would be referred to Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson for possible prosecution." Yeah, good luck with that, too small of potatoes for him to bother with.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 2 months ago

Pretty stupid. I can see someone pulling out and using the wrong card once, we have all done that before. But several times to the same place, no.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 2 months ago

"the general public already believes that state employees don't do nearly enough work for what they do make"

Not a fitting comment for KU employees. I cannot speak for the workers in Topeka or those "road crew" dudes, but in Strong Hall there are a LOT of grossly underpaid workers who are struggling to make ends meet. My wife is literally worth twice what she's paid at KU, but would be forced to do a major relocation to find the same job (paying the correct wages) elsewhere.

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

How stupid does someone have to be to think they won't get caught for something like this? What did they try to do--pass off their grocery shopping as purchases for department soirees?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 2 months ago

that kind of thing could lead to a public lynching in this day and age. the general public already believes that state employees don't do nearly enough work for what they do make, and then to try and screw the taxpayers like this.. not good. not good at all.