Archive for Monday, February 8, 2010

Q&A: LMH still enforces its smoke-free policy

February 8, 2010

Note: As part of our new health section, we will be featuring readers' health-related questions. If you have a question, contact Karrey Britt, health reporter.

Q: What happened to Lawrence Memorial Hospital’s policy of a smoke-free facility? I constantly see their employees smoking in the parking lot.

A: The hospital’s policy hasn’t changed, according to Deborah Thompson, vice president of human resources.

“LMH is dedicated to preventative health and believe providing a healthy environment is important to our visitors and staff,” she said. “We are thankful that our customers and staff have been very understanding and overall supportive in our efforts to providing a smoke-free campus.”

Thompson said occasionally LMH has to remind or inform individuals of LMH’s policy. If passersby see someone smoking, they are encouraged to report the activity by calling security personnel at 505-3028.

“We find that normally just a friendly conversation is all that’s needed,” she said.

Comments

OutlawJHawk 5 years, 3 months ago

I have scarcely not seen employees outside smoking at LMH. Nice enforcement of your "policy". I always have found it ironic that those working in the health care field would smoke and carry a bunch of extra weight...

akt2 5 years, 3 months ago

There are habitual offenders. Then they hose themselves down with body spray and use breath mints before they come back in. But guess what, if you have been sitting in a car smoking you still smell like smoke. Apparently they think they are fooling everyone.

Tammy Copp-Barta 5 years, 3 months ago

They are not supposed to use a body spray as perfumes are also off limits due to people with breathing problems. That is a policy violation as well.

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

I gather that HR doesn't really back the policy up with the patients either.

emptymind 5 years, 3 months ago

ever watch as a patient with an IV and oxygen tubes in their nose go outside and light up? it has happened. KU Med will fine you 500.00 for smoking on their property. The employees go a block over to the state line to light up

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 3 months ago

Administration likes to stick their head in the sand and "do as I say but not do as I do" attitudes. Typical.

hammysammy 5 years, 3 months ago

Does this policy apply to OrthoKansas? I was just curious. I got dropped at the door for a check on my surgery I'd recently had there, and a nurse was smoking right by the front door in her surgical scrubs, with those little shoe cover things and everything still on. I could only assume she was completely finished with that surgery...not just taking a little cigarette break. Not that I begrudge them their smokes. But it would be nice if you moved a little further away from the door.

Dena Johnston 5 years, 3 months ago

hammysammy I do agree with you, but just for clarification, the building you are referring to is not solely for OrthoKansas and their staff. It is the Lawrence Medical Plaza Building which houses approx 15 other offices and medical practices. There is a dedicated smoking area for staff and visitors located on the North corner of the building, near a private entrance for its occupants. Please know that all offices do encourage folks to use that area if they must smoke and LMP does enforce a non-smoking policy around the main entrances of the buildings. Sadly there may be a few (including patients and visitors) that occassionally need reminding.

hammysammy 5 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, djohnston. Yeah, we've had to utilize a few other offices in the past (lucky us). Stitches for my daughter one time in one place, her orthotics in another... Honestly though, I really don't care about people smoking...but if I see you throw your butts on the ground. That gets me a little riled.

Belinda Rehmer 5 years, 3 months ago

emptymind: where did you get your information re:KU Med? I have a copy of their smoking policy in front of me and there is no mention of any monetary fine at all. There are provisions for disciplinary action for employees that are non compliant (including discharge of duty), But there are no monetary fines for smoking on KU Med property.