Archive for Monday, February 8, 2010

Douglas County clerk ‘on the radar’ for secretary of state job

The Douglas County Clerk has been hearing from numerous people he'd be a good fit for the Secretary of State position. The job will be available after the current holder resigns.

February 8, 2010

Douglas County Clerk Jaime Shew understands how some might see him as a potential replacement for Ron Thornburgh, who announced Monday he would be resigning as Kansas secretary of state.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean he wants the job.

“I’ve had a number of phone calls today, where people have asked me about my interest,” Shew said Monday. “Am I on the radar? I’m on the radar. Whether that’s an official radar? I don’t know.”

Gov. Mark Parkinson, a fellow Democrat, will appoint Thornburgh’s replacement, whose office will be up for election in November.

If approached about the job, Shew said, he would first need to discuss the potential with his family — Shew is married, with children ages 5, 3 and 11 months — and his colleagues.

“I’m very happy as county clerk,” said Shew, a Democrat in his fifth year as the county’s top elections officer.

Comments

easyliving 4 years, 8 months ago

That was me....sorry I was just making random phone calls to let random people know that less than 5 minutes after Ron Thornburgh announced his resignation that they were on my radar to take his place.

easyliving 4 years, 8 months ago

It is offical radar....It says "offical radar" in little black letters on the side. I assume thats good news for someone.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 8 months ago

A democratic county clerk, how many of those do we have in the state? I almost mentioned him earlier, but why quit a job to be Sec. of State for less then year, Also the democrats have two qualified guys running for the spot for election this year.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 8 months ago

A job at that level may in fact cut into home time/family time in a big way. Money and prestige cannot buy back that type of lost time.

Now really how much fun can it be communting to Topeka and back 5 days a week? yuck.

4 years, 8 months ago

No no no no. Jamie is a great County Clerk and he needs to stay local!

somebodynew 4 years, 8 months ago

@merrill - no, it is not a lot of fun, but you would be surprized at just how many Dg Co plated cars are there, and the mass arrival and exodus. Of course the other side of your comment is to move to Topeka. Now that would Really s*ck.