Archive for Friday, February 5, 2010

Owners of Toyotas remaining loyal despite recall

February 5, 2010

Gus McClelland’s driving his fifth Toyota these days, and is poised to buy a sixth.

And now that the automaker has recalled 2.3 million vehicles in the United States — including some new RAV4s, Corollas and Camrys still awaiting sale on dealer lots — the retired VA worker is counting on a recent bout of procrastination paying off.

“I put it off, and now I’m glad I did,” said McClelland, a Lawrence resident whose pristine-looking 2003 Camry has 140,000 miles on it. “Now, when they get them all fixed, Toyota may put them on sale cheap. I may get a really good deal.”

As repair kits make their way to dealers and changes come to manufacturing plants, others find themselves calculating the economic effects of the safety-related recall, one intended to prevent accelerator pedals from sticking. Federal transportation officials also are investigating reports of defective brakes in the 2010 Toyota Prius.

“If you’re out there driving a Toyota and you have a concern, please let us know and we’ll take care of you, to the best of our knowledge at the time that you call,” said Miles Schnaer, president of Crown Toyota in Lawrence. “We’ll answer all your concerns.”

As the dealership continues selling both new and used cars, Schnaer said he couldn’t predict how the recall would affect values.

“As the No. 1-selling manufacturer in the world, I’m sure that Toyota, over the long haul, is going to continue building quality cars and selling them,” he said.

Last week, an analyst at Kelley Blue Book’s kbb.com wasn’t expecting two-, three- and five-year residual values of such vehicles to be affected. Another Kelley analyst has suggested that Toyota owners consider holding off on trading in or selling their vehicles, at least until “the situation clarifies.”

Shirley Martin-Smith, who owns a 2006 Avalon, figures she’ll get her car repaired sometime — and then likely buy another Toyota sometime down the road.

“Toyota’s a good brand,” she said. “They have a problem, but they’ll fix it and we’ll move on.”

McClelland, who bought his first Corolla in 1977, won’t hesitate to replace his trusted Camry once the time is right. “I’ll wait ’til this is all solved,” he said.

Comments

Michael Throop 4 years, 10 months ago

Toyota owners will have this issue resolved quickly.I am more confident in a Toyota stumble than I ever would be of a domestic manufacturer's clean record. I have owned three Toyotas, and I now own a Hyundai. I have owned GM and Ford products--never,ever, again. Yeah, I am paranoid that the public flogging of Toyota is being engineered by the Obama White House and his loyal drones in concert with the U.A.W.,so that State-owned GM can improve its flagging sales numbers. No matter the Toyota-USA workers who have chosen to remain independent and non-union are suffering through this situation. They deserve it for not welcoming thug Big Labor with open arms, right?? Did the Clinton Administration demand to speak directly to the president of Audi when that carmaker was having all the bad PR with ITS sudden acceleration? Toyota owners..you'll get through this, and the problem will be taken care of.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 10 months ago

I love our Toyota. I still have more trust in their company than most American companies. We'll buy from them again.

Centerville 4 years, 10 months ago

Like Secretary LaHood is going to scare us into trading in our Toyotas for Zip cars. And, for the record, Toyotas are built here.

Kontum1972 4 years, 10 months ago

Toyota 4x4 pick-up 1994, 397,000 runs like a top, built in Japan...Toyota serviced engine for some models had bad head gaskets factory covered all $$$.

mistygreen 4 years, 10 months ago

Our family currently owns 4 vehicles which 3 are Toyotas. Only one is effected by the recall but not confirmed. We will be talking to the dealership and getting the recommended fix. I've owned Chevys, Fords, Oldsmobiles, Chryslers and I would choose a Toyota anyday. They are all machines and are subject to failure, but I am satisfied with how Toyota is handling this situation. Remember the Explorer Tire fiasco? It took them years to recognize the need for a recall. For the record, 2 of my Toyotas were built here in the USA. The Yaris unfortunately is imported, but I forsee the day when they start production here in the states.

mistygreen 4 years, 10 months ago

Davy - and your point? This is about Toyotas.

Venom 4 years, 10 months ago

Centerville (Anonymous) says…

Venom says Hmmmm ?? better check your facts not all Toyota's are "assembled" in the USA

mistygreen (Anonymous) says…

"Remember the Explorer Tire fiasco? It took them years to recognize the need for a recall. "

Not sure how this related to the auto manfacturers. Firestone is a tire maker and tires on new cars are not warrantied by the auto maker but by the tire maker. You did not even need to take it to a dealer for repairs, it could be done at a Firestone facility.

Michael Throop 4 years, 10 months ago

It is true the Prius is not (yet) assembled here, though a plant in Kentucky is ready to go when the economy improves. The issue with the Firestone tire recall is that Ford knew of problems with the Explorer, not just the tires. The Explorer apparently had a high rollover rate and Ford professed to not know why, an unexplained vibration that had nothing to do with the tires.(Ford of Venezuela report). People went back to Ford to exchange tires, so, yes, Ford is part of the issue here, as they spent more time arguing with Bridgestone-Firestone about fault than getting the tires replaced.