Archive for Friday, February 5, 2010

New traffic signals to assist trail users

Lawrence bikers hitting the trail near 11th and Oregon streets are getting a little traffic help. New pedestrian-activated traffic signals have been installed.

February 5, 2010

Users of a new trail in east Lawrence will be able to stop traffic, with the installation of new pedestrian-activated traffic signals at two intersections along the Burroughs Creek Trail.

The first set of signals went in this week on 11th Street, just east of Hobbs Park. Another set is expected to be installed during the next two months along 19th Street, just west of Moodie Road.

The signals will allow users of the new $620,000 trail — a 10-foot-wide path of concrete running from 11th to 23rd streets — to press a button to activate the signals, designed to stop traffic.

The signals are similar to others in town, including those on New Hampshire Street in front of the Lawrence Arts Center.

The section of 11th handles about 6,800 vehicles per day, while the stretch of 19th carries about 9,500, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation.

Comments

beobachter 4 years, 2 months ago

puddleglum, maybe if you would crawl out from under your rock and look around, you'd learn something. The 6th and Wak light handles a lot of traffic from FSHS and the residential area north of there. Also a lot of traffic from south of 6th going both east and west on 6th. Plus a lot of traffic turning both north and south onto Wakarusa. Mind if simply state you have absolutely no idea about the traffic there. By the way, walmart is 1 light west of there.

watchinmyback 4 years, 2 months ago

This is outrageous and completely ludicrous. Seriously how long have people been crossing the street without one. Even if this was in my neighborhood and benefited me, I would still fill the same. Oh wait there is one in my neighborhood and I have seen it used all so much. Total sarcasm there if you did not catch it. A stop light for people walking, seriously how in the hell does this even make to city hall. F'ing stupid!!!

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

love ya bozo, but I'm sorry-5 cars a minute is easily navigated....certainly not frogger.

and 6th & wak? you can take that light out (and you should) for all I care, it makes a nice message to all ye enter the town of stoplightdom.... thanks for visiting lawrence, now stop for 3 cars going to wal-mart and you may continue with your journey in 2 minutes. thanks for stopping-oh btw get used to it, as every stoplight on 6th west of iowa seems to magically stop hwy 40 for one car on every cross-street. thanks for playing.

Healthcare_Moocher 4 years, 2 months ago

merrill (Anonymous) says…

You tax payers? Does that mean your lawnmower business is a cash business? Does that mean your tofu delivery service is a cash business? Do you pay taxes like the rest of us or are you just in the business of spending ours?

monkeyhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

boozo & merrill - basking in the glow of extortion.

Healthcare_Moocher 4 years, 2 months ago

I understand that Merrill is on the board that decides these things.

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

Boozo, Have you ever been on that street? I didn't think so.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 2 months ago

"First of all, there are only a handful of vehicle's that take that street. "

Did you even read the article"

"The section of 11th handles about 6,800 vehicles per day,"

That's an average of 5 cars a minute. During peak hours, it's probably more like 15 a minute (or one every 4 seconds.) Nearly every city vehicle goes in and out of that intersection every day, not to mention a good deal of truck traffic.

But why do I bother? You really couldn't care less, since you are obviously just whining because it doesn't directly benefit you.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 2 months ago

6th and Wakarusa probaly cost you tax payers more than a million dollars..... and for what?

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

I am sorry but this is just plain stupid... First of all, there are only a handful of vehicle's that take that street. Secondly to give a person on a bicycle the right of way? C'mon, Pullleeeeze grow some brains....

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

Ooh! Ooh! I want one placed at the gate leading to my back yard. I mean since we seem to cater to special interest groups to the tune of, what 30,000.00 dollars just for the light and installation? Doesn't this strike any one else as sinfully wastful ?? Let me also point out the light at the "art center" Geeesh!!!! No wonder the city is broke.

Healthcare_Moocher 4 years, 2 months ago

And our children are walking to school.

cheeseburger 4 years, 2 months ago

In these tough economic times, I'm sure glad to see money being spent on the essentials of life!