Archive for Friday, February 5, 2010

Winter weather advisory expires as snowfall tapers off

No matter where you're traveling in northeast Kansas this morning, you're likely to run into snow. The blowing flakes will cut down on visibility and the wet roads could become slick. Watch out for possibly snowpacked roads as you head out.

February 5, 2010, 12:00 a.m. Updated February 5, 2010, 12:19 p.m.

Snow challenges Lawrence drivers

Motorists were struggling to maneuver up the hills near Kasold Drive and Peterson Road Friday morning. About an inch of snow had fallen by the time this video was taken. City crews are on the roads treating with a mix of salt and sand. Enlarge video

Beautiful winter weather

Do you have pictures of the winter wonderland outside your windows? Send them to us and we'll feature them online and on Channel 6 News. You can also e-mail them to editor@ljworld.com.

Overnight weather for February 4, 2010

There won't be a whole lot of snow falling tonight, but a little bit is at least possible. Temperatures will remain right around freezing, so any snow that does fall has a chance to stick around. Enlarge video

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

12:19 p.m. The National Weather service has allowed the winter weather advisory to expire in Douglas County.

According to 6News meteorologist Ashley Meenen, the area might see a few stray snow flurries through Friday evening but not much additional snow accumulation.

11:48 a.m. Lawrence police have reported 42 accidents on city streets since midnight.

Only two accidents involved injuries, and those were minor.

The latest update from the National Weather Service indicates that the winter weather advisory will be allowed to expire at noon.

11:10 a.m. Latest totals are 3.5" of snow downtown.

With rush hour over, the number of accidents have slowed down a lot.

6News Chief Meteorologist Matt Elwell said Lawrence is now on the backside of the storm and should expect the snow to taper off over the next couple of hours.

10:48 a.m. Snow fall continues across the area.

One of our meteorologist has gathered snow fall totals from across northeast Kansas. Totals in Douglas County range from an inch in Lecompton to about three inches at Clinton Lake.

Downtown has had roughly two inches.

How much snow do you have in your neighborhood?

8:55 a.m. Lawrence street crews began working round-the-clock shifts at 4 a.m. Friday.

According to supervisor Tom Orzulak, crews were treating the roads with a mixture of sand and salt and will continue to do so through the afternoon hours. Because the accumulation is expected to be less than 3 inches, no plowing is expected.

The Kansas Department of Transportation has downgraded Douglas County road conditions to "completely snowpacked/icy," which includes U.S. Highways 56, 24, 40 and 59 and Kansas Highway 10. The Kansas Turnpike remains "partly snowpacked."

The city advises motorists to use caution while driving and says roads in some places are very slick. Clinton Parkway between Iowa Street and Kasold Drive was reported to be bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Police had responded to numerous non-injury or minor injury accidents and requests for assistance by stranded motorists.

Check back for updates.

7:49 a.m. The snow is falling and the roads are slick as of 7:40 this morning.

Numerous accidents have been called into Lawrence emergency dispatchers and there was at least one rollover accident reported on County Road 1057 south of Kansas Highway 10 a little after 7:30.

According to the Kansas Department of Transportation, roads in Douglas County are slushy, with the Kansas Turnpike deemed partly snowpacked.

At least an inch of snow — probably more — has accumulated on outdoor tables and chairs, with about an inch or less of accumulation on roads.

Check back for updates.

5:54 a.m. The snow falling has gotten a little bit thicker, but there still isn't much sticking on the roads. Driving visibility is down and roads may be slick and even snowpacked in some areas as the morning wears on. The Kansas Department of Transportation lists Interstate 70 in Douglas County as having spots of snowpacked road.

Temperatures have still not dipped below freezing, which should allow the predicted one to two inches of snow to accumulate on the ground.

4:40 a.m. We're beginning to get a light, wet wintry mix on the ground. The temperatures are still above freezing so not much is sticking. There have been reports of light snow staying on some of the more rural dirt roads around Lawrence, but the paved roads are just wet at this point.

Check back for updates.

12:00 a.m. The winter weather advisory is in effect until noon Friday. Temperatures will remain near freezing, so any precipitation that may fall on the area has the chance to stick around.

Snowfall amounts aren't looking too substantial, according to 6News Chief Meteorologist Matt Elwell. He says dry air moving through eastern Kansas will keep the weather in the Lawrence area rather quiet. Elwell predicted we would see one or possibly two inches of snow starting early Friday morning.

Roads may be slick with precipitation falling in near-freezing conditions.

Check back for updates.

1:44 p.m. The snow began falling in Lawrence shortly after 1 p.m. Thursday.

Temperatures, though, were still above freezing and the snow wasn't accumulating on the ground.

The latest projections are for a wintry mix and rain throughout the late afternoon hours, changing over to all snow tonight.

Check back for updates.

Thursday

10:09 a.m. The latest information in the hands of 6News Chief Meteorologist Matt Elwell suggests 2" to 3" of total snow accumulation is most likely across the Lawrence area, with areas of 4" to 5" possible.

Elwell said the storm would be spinning over the area for some time, leading to isolated pockets of greater accumulation.

The snow should begin before midnight, Elwell said, though with accumulation not starting until after midnight most likely.

Check back for updates.

7:59 a.m. The National Weather Service has extended the winter weather advisory until noon on Friday, instead of 6 a.m.

For now, the National Weather Service is still predicting 2-4" of snow in our area, with the majority of that snowfall occurring after midnight.

The precipitation will still start this afternoon, but will remain as rain through the evening hours.

3:48 a.m.

Temperatures are still above freezing as the morning gets underway. The National Weather Service has predicted the chances for precipitation Thursday are about 50 percent.

No precipitation has fallen at this point near downtown Lawrence. Estimates for Thursday night snowfall are between one and two inches.

12:00 a.m.

The winter weather advisory from the National Weather Service is set to go into effect Thursday afternoon. Moisture working its way through the area is expected to produce precipitation, with as many as three inches of snow possible into Friday morning.

Temperatures are currently above freezing, sitting in the mid-30s.

Wednesday

The National Weather Service in Topeka has issued a winter weather advisory for parts of northeast Kansas beginning at noon Thursday and continuing through 6 a.m. Friday.

The weather service is predicting 3 to 4 inches of snow in northeast Kansas, with the snow beginning during the afternoon Thursday and continuing through Friday morning.

Drivers are urged to use caution while traveling and be prepared for limited visibility and slippery conditions.

Check back to LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

Matt Elwell 4 years, 2 months ago

Garden Momma, I know it seems like it hasn't tapered off, but the heavies bands of snow have passed us. We will be looking at mostly light snow and flurries for the rest of the day (and possibly flurries early tomorrow). I have updated totals and outlooks for our next storm in our blog.

shawn1040 4 years, 2 months ago

Tom Orzulak needs to be replaced, he obviously lacks good judgment.

GardenMomma 4 years, 2 months ago

The snow hasn't tapered off much yet. It's 1:42 p.m. and I can still see snow falling steadily.

Boeing 4 years, 2 months ago

Uhjh - so as to not spend a penny on plowing, I believe Lawrence measures the snow inside the lobby of City Hall.

Can I fill out a Lawrence City Tax Return form to get my tax money back? Form 1040-BS

Uhjh 4 years, 2 months ago

Typical slow response they need to plow and treat the roads. I was out am not convinced the roads were treated today. This three inch rule is lame it needs to be tied to actual conditions sometimes a plow at two inches would make big difference. Just who and were in the measured. The LJW is saying 3.5 inches downtown.

Laura Wilson 4 years, 2 months ago

To the person who said they would be reporting unshoveled sidewalks--and, believe me, I can understand your anger and frustration--do remember that people have 48 hours AFTER the snow stops, which, it looks like isn't going to be anytime soon.

And, again I repeat I had three inches this morning when I left for work and it's been snowing steadily since. Get the plows out!

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 2 months ago

It took me between 45 min to an hour to get from Monterey Way to Iowa on 6th and back around 7:45 this morning. It was slicker than the roads have been this winter, in my opinion. At least it wasn't so cold it was causing my windows to fog up...it sucks not having a working heater to clear the windows! The snow looks beautiful on the trees, though.

shawn1040 4 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone know why the city won't plow snow that is less than 3"? Does the street manager have a brother-in-law that supplies the city with salt and sand? I know he probably doesn't want them to move in with him, but come on! PLOW THE FREAKIN ROADS!!

Sherry Warren 4 years, 2 months ago

We have 3-4 inches south of town and I slid through the first intersection I came to this morning - and I wasn't driving like a chucklehead either! Saw one car taking out a stop sign at Zarco corner.

HOMETOWNBOY 4 years, 2 months ago

HMMMMMMMMMMM!

Not enough snow to plow huh?

Probably not a wise choice!

justforfun 4 years, 2 months ago

FYI start shoveling as soon as it stops! I have an axe to grind and will be turning people in by the boat load!!! Thanks for the ticket City of Lawrence (and the troll that called it in) Btw I did shovel it for the big snow, left town shoveled when I got back and still got ticket.

Laura Wilson 4 years, 2 months ago

We had three inches when I left for work at 8:00! And it doesn't look like it's stopping anytime soon. Get the darn plows out on the really crappy roads! Every time I started from a stop I skidded and I have front wheel drive!

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 2 months ago

Pomegranate--

Send them to us too!

We'd love to use them online and maybe on Channel 6 too!

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 2 months ago

Less than 3 inches? Don't we have 3 inches already? It's still snowing last I checked.

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

This snow is da bomb! I'm with you on this, pomegranate--I'll be heading back outside shortly to do some picture taking. Looks like a Currier & Ives print out there.

macon47 4 years, 2 months ago

come on all you nickle nosed sidewalk nazis get out your pencil so you can rat out your least favorite neighbor that hasnt scooped the walk you let your dog do its business on

makes you feel like a better person?

pomegranate 4 years, 2 months ago

I just came back inside after taking pictures of this beautiful snow. I sent them to my daughter and sister in Calif. They just don't know what they are missing. I can hardly wait for enough snow to make "snowcream". I love, love, love this nice wet snow!

Christine Anderson 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh Multi, leave it to you! Dear sister, if you seriously are thankful for getting two inches, we have GOT to talk. I care about your mental well-being, and as someone with half a lifetime's worth of experience in 4, 6, and 8 inches, I think I can help you. Help you know where to find it, that is. Jonathan, don't you dare! I'm talking about snow here. Hence, my poster pseudo-name.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 2 months ago

pizza hut? bleck, even for $5!

now, papa Keno's, there's pizza!

this storm's the appetizer?

what? is Matt a waiter or a weatherman?

Matt deserves the praise he's won and I'm betting on the MattMan! we won't go over 4inches, and likely wind up with 2.
I had to laugh at a couple of posters, like 2-4inches is the end of the world? not much of a world in that case!

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

Two inches? I wouldn't call that so lucky.

We've had very light drizzle around here--I seriously doubt we'll get any significant snowfall.

I just can't do Pizza Hut--for any price. Wheat State or Papa Murphy for me.

KansasPerson 4 years, 2 months ago

MD, I think it's something they're rolling out in a few US markets, not all of them yet. I think it's up here too.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 2 months ago

I feel soo lucky. I get 2 inches tonight, more snow in the morning, and snow plus ice pellets Friday afternoon. Yeah! I went to town yesterday and bought enough supplies I don't plan to have to leave again for weeks.

Hey, Pizza Hut pizza's are $10 each here..any kind, any size, but not stuffed crust. Same up there, or is this a local thing? I couldn't find out online.

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm not seeing anything on the radar. Still think we'll get much of anything?

somedude20 4 years, 2 months ago

where do all of the female reindeer go when santa and the male reindeer leave for christmas?

to town to blow a few bucks

ccp 4 years, 2 months ago

Love that they are not including a few lines about the forecast in these alerts. Thanks LJW!

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

why can't we all just get along?

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

Matt -

This storm appears to be the appetizer. What are you thinking for early next week?

Matt Elwell 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm looking through the latest data right now, and I still think that we are on track to see 1-3" out of this storm with the heaviest snow picking up this evening through Friday morning. Some snow bands will probably be fairly heavy and leave some areas with 4" of total accumulation. Light snow accumulation is still possible late Friday into Saturday AM.

We are under a winter weather advisory through noon Friday. A winter weather advisory means that you can expect winter weather in the region, but we aren't expected to hit the criteria for a winter storm warning. Hope that clears up some confusion.

Be safe and enjoy the weather... it's the only weather we have!

Matt Elwell 6News Chief Meteorologist

Althea Schnacke 4 years, 2 months ago

I read "snow tornado" as snow tomato at first. Fresh snomatoes for all!

somedude20 4 years, 2 months ago

why don't snowmen have kids?

cause they got snowballs

alm77 4 years, 2 months ago

"But Matt's been extremely accurate this winter when it comes to predicting snowfall." Yes, yes he is. If this were facebook, I'd be a "fan".

Kip Patzel 4 years, 2 months ago

" Don't probe me Bro" to funny

acg 4 years, 2 months ago

Me too mdsigler! Well, it was only $5.00, but for a brief period in time I could actually see out of all of the car windows. Then, the drive this morning gunked them all up again. So tired of this weather.

Melissa Sigler 4 years, 2 months ago

COOL, just spent 6 bucks to get a mediocre car wash. Pft.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 2 months ago

As TOB said, we don't issue weather watches, warnings or advisories. Those all come from the National Weather Service. But Matt's been extremely accurate this winter when it comes to predicting snowfall.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

" No disrespect to Mr. Elwell, but I am laughing hysterically at the idea of 2-3” causing a winter weather advisory."

Elwell doesn't issue advisories. He's just passing along the info.

countrygirl 4 years, 2 months ago

Would snornados be more than Katie could handle? Break out more than just the bike helmets and coats!

Christine Anderson 4 years, 2 months ago

Here we go again. No disrespect to Mr. Elwell, but I am laughing hysterically at the idea of 2-3" causing a winter weather advisory. I mean, in Wi.....

grammaddy 4 years, 2 months ago

One snownami per season is more than enough!!! How many more times will I have to shovel?

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

T_O_B~ I like the variant, "snornados," better.

In the other hemisphere, do they have snoclones?

Shane Garrett 4 years, 2 months ago

Okay that does it! I propose a Tax on people who want a Snownado. Or use the word snownado. $.25 per use. That way it will pay for the extra .25 for driving on I-70 today. More wealth redistrubution.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

"Ooh, you might be on to something: Snow Tornados!"

The proper nomenclature is Snownados.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 2 months ago

Wally, I suggest a liberal tax. This would tax liberals who seem to enjoy giving the government their money and a conservative tax credit for those who don't think the government needs anymore of our money.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 2 months ago

Pywacket (Anonymous) says… I'd love to see more snow. Can do without any freezing rain, though. Marcy, you picked a good week to be in Florida—had your trip been a few weeks earlier, it might not have been so pleasant.

I lucked out for sure - it was nothing but beautiful weather!

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 2 months ago

alm77 (Anonymous) says… Marcy, this is what you get for all of those bragging facebook updates you tortured us with. ;p

I know, right? Karma...

alm77 4 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the video, Journal-World!

compmd 4 years, 2 months ago

mr_right_wing,

Ooh, you might be on to something: Snow Tornados!

thebcman 4 years, 2 months ago

I want more snow. Bring it on!

alm77 4 years, 2 months ago

Who cares what the National Weather Service thinks, I want to know what our own Matt Elwell has to say. He's gotten it right this winter.

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

I'd love to see more snow. Can do without any freezing rain, though. Marcy, you picked a good week to be in Florida--had your trip been a few weeks earlier, it might not have been so pleasant.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 2 months ago

A lot of us have had our fill, thanks compmd!

Couldn't we just go ahead and skip to tornado season already?

compmd 4 years, 2 months ago

I can't seriously be the only person excited for more snow. Bring it on!

Boeing 4 years, 2 months ago

Why is it that everywhere else says 1"?

I say 1"...3-4...god help us all in Lawrence, the only city outside Florida where 3" of snow can be epic.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 2 months ago

Dear Mother Nature,

No. I refuse your snow.

You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

Sincerely,

(everyone)

alm77 4 years, 2 months ago

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 2 months ago

I just returned home from a week in Florida (rough, I know). This is a fine welcome back!

Danimal 4 years, 2 months ago

I'll be sure to wear my best pair of slippers to accommodate the "slipper conditions."

Shane Garrett 4 years, 2 months ago

I suggest a bad weather driving tax. All toll booths should collect an extra 25 cents. This would help cover the cost of accident respone.