Archive for Thursday, February 4, 2010

Parents willingly gave children to missionaries

February 4, 2010

Advertisement

— Desperate parents in this struggling village perched above Haiti’s earthquake-flattened capital said they gave their children away willingly, trusting the American missionaries who promised to take them to a better life.

The stories the villagers told The Associated Press on Wednesday contradict claims by the Baptist group’s leader that the children came from orphanages or were handed over by distant relatives. But they also attest to the misery of a nation that was the hemisphere’s poorest even before the Jan. 12 earthquake struck.

The 10 Baptists, including Drew Culborth, 34, of Topeka, Kan., were arrested last week trying to take 33 Haitian children across the border into the Dominican Republic without the required documents, according to Haitian authorities, who have accused them of child trafficking.

The Americans are to appear today before a prosecutor who will decide whether to file charges or release them, Communications Minister Marie-Laurence Jocelyn Lassegue told the AP.

Even Prime Minister Max Bellerive has said he recognizes the Americans may simply be well-meaning do-gooders who believed their charitable Christian intent justified trying to remove the children from quake-crippled Haiti.

“There is no government in Haiti,” their lawyer, Jorge Puello, argued Wednesday by phone from the Dominican Republic.

Standing amid piles of debris that used to be their homes and the makeshift shelters of tin and plastic sheeting that have replaced them, the people of Callebas told how they came to surrender their children.

It all began last week when a local orphanage worker, fluent in English and acting on behalf of the Baptists, convened nearly the entire village of 500 people on a dirt soccer field to present the Americans’ offer.

Isaac Adrien, 20, told his neighbors the missionaries would educate their children in the neighboring Dominican Republic, the villagers said, adding that they were also assured they would be free to visit their children there.

Many parents jumped at the offer.

“It’s only because the bus was full that more children didn’t go,” said Melanie Augustin, a 58-year-old who gave her 10-year-old daughter, Jovin, to the Americans.

Comments

anon1958 5 years, 3 months ago

These loathsome miscreants must not be confused in any way with humanitarians. They are opportunistic kidnappers. If they truly were what they claimed to be they would have stayed in Haiti and helped the families first hand rather than attempting to permanently separate children from very desperate parents.

These so called Christians offered the devil's own choice to parents. Where are the "family" values of these false Christians? If anyone deserves to rot in a third world prison to pay penance for their crimes, it is these horrid and despicable kidnappers.

I am afraid that these felons will escape from their deserved justice because of the chaos of the moment and wrongheaded sympathy for their criminal activity.

Perhaps someone will file a class action lawsuit on behalf of these children against the various people and churches that organized this failed attempt at kidnapping. The children were obviously traumatized and it seems fair to me that the perpetrators deserve to experience the grinding poverty and desperation that they took advantage of in their failed attempt to steal children and destroy families.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.