Archive for Thursday, February 4, 2010

Kansas Senate advances bill to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation

February 4, 2010

— A Senate panel has endorsed a bill that would prohibit discrimination in Kansas based on sexual orientation or gender identity.

The bill was advanced Thursday by the Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee, with three voting against it.

The bill would ban discrimination in employment, housing or public accommodations based on sexual orientation. Kansas law already covers discrimination related to race, religion, color, sex, disability, national origin or ancestry.

Tom Witt, chairman of the Kansas Equity Coalition, says the issue is one of fairness. The group has been proposing the bill since 2005.

Late last session, the committee sent the bill to Senate for debate but it was pulled from the calendar and sent back to the panel.

Comments

helter_skelter 4 years, 10 months ago

So who are the three bigots that think it's OK to discriminate against someone based on their sexual orientation or gender identity? These same jackholes probably thought it was OK to discriminate against people because they're black. I hate bigotry, especially in this day and age. Evolve. Grow the hell up. People are people are people. Whether they're black, white, yellow, polka-dot, or even green. And whether they're boys who like boys or girls who like girls. Grow the hell up.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

good for KS! finally advancing to the 21st century after 10 years.

i guess better late than never.....

helter_skelter 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm actually a devout Catholic. I'm perfectly OK with the idea that man came from monkeys and primordial goo while at the same time thinking that there is a higher being out there watching and guiding my life. I have no problem with people having different opinions. I'm personally of the opinion that people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" should have their opinions count for less than those of us with educations.

And by the way: you're = you are. Your last sentence should have read: "And of course, your bigotry of religion is OK."

Steve Bunch 4 years, 10 months ago

So they're not all morons after all. Or at least not all the time.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 10 months ago

This is a laugh, coming from a state that banned gay marriage by adding it to the state constitution. I doubt it will pass the general legislature considering that such discrimination is already codified by the State into cement.

helter_skelter 4 years, 10 months ago

Sanctimonious? I just may be. Doesn't make me wrong though. It's 2010. Not 1910. Black, white, male, female, gay, straight, transgender, whatever. It's sad that even in this advanced age that we live in, there are still people out there that are treated as "less than" by some members of the community. Yes, I may be sanctimonious. But, I'd also like to think that I'm one of the more accepting people out there. And for the record: I do in fact have black friends, gay friends, and even Christian friends. My best friend of 12+ years is actually a Muslim. Can you say the same? Or are your friends all cut from the same piece of white bread?

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 10 months ago

Lawrence is a speck of blue in a sea of red. All I have to say is that if they expect to get this passed they better do it before Parkinson leaves office and Brownback takes over. It's just about a guarantee the religious fuhrer will be sure to veto it.

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

Banning discrimination and making a way for medical marijuana in the same day? Glad to see our state legislature busy. Makes me proud to be a Kansan by birth.

anon1958 4 years, 10 months ago

damn! If this passes I will have to take back some of the mean things I have said about members of the legislature.

anon1958 4 years, 10 months ago

ComradeRedRooster (Anonymous) says…

So you're intolerant of individual rights and seek cultural equality. We as a culture should accept your beliefs. Ok. An individuals right to disagree is outweighed by what is culturally fashionable.

Does anyone else think that maybe ComradeRedRooster is the clone son of Reverend Fred Phelps?

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 10 months ago

Plenty of Kansas employers and individuals don't bother following the anti-discrimination laws that are already clearly on the books. I'm not impressed by the general level of unenlightenment, but the local backwoods culture was obviously invented to empower whitebutt, intellectually- challenged people to feel very self-confident about their ignorance and not to examine their own bigoted views too closely and to aggressively get up in complete strangers' face with them. It's all about genocidally killing off intelligent life in the universe so the whole world can be populated by bright Kansas types- vanilla-bland, lily-white, sanctimonious undiversity.

LiberalDude 4 years, 10 months ago

It's about time!!! The rest of the country has already had laws like this for years. We'll see if it will pass the entire Senate. I have my doubts that the Republicans have progressed that far.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 10 months ago

Whoa! There is a huge difference between discriminating against someone based on race, and discriminating against someone based on 'sexual orientation'. Race (in almost all cases) is obvious and cannot be hid. "Sexual orientation' can be private. You don't know my 'sexual orientation' unless I come out and tell you. I find putting sexual orientation discrimination on the same level as racial discrimination very offensive. Gays haven't even experienced a small fraction of abuse and oppression that racial minorities have. Those of you who have even hinted as the two being equal owe all minorities an apology.