Archive for Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ol’ Roy’s boys tanking

February 2, 2010

It’s Groundhog Day and I’m sure you’ve heard the joke.

Punxsutawney Phil comes out of his burrow, sees his shadow and, somebody cracks, “Uh, oh, six more weeks of bad basketball.”

Obviously, that’s not a quip we’ve heard around these parts very often, and we certainly won’t today, not with the Jayhawks No. 1 in the polls.

However, they may be uttering that Groundhog Day yukker today in, of all places, North Carolina.

Yep, the defending national champion Tar Heels are tanking terribly, and appear headed for coach Roy Williams’ worst season since his first at Kansas University more than two decades ago.

While switching channels Sunday night, I came across the Heels’ latest debacle — a 75-60 loss to downtrodden Virginia in the Dean Dome.

Williams’ team looked as drab as the brown suit he was wearing. If he ever smiled, I missed it. Ol’ Roy was Somber City, acting as if a doctor had told him he could never drink another Coca-Cola again.

Every team has mid-season slumps, but who would have believed North Carolina would drop five of seven games, including three at home?

No need to go into Williams’ accomplishments. We all know he averaged 27.8 wins a season during his 15 years at KU, and we know he won two NCAA titles in six years at Carolina.

During his early days at KU, Williams would blame himself if the Jayhawks lost, saying it was all his fault. As his tenure on Mount Oread lengthened, however, Williams stopped using the mea culpa excuse.

Interestingly, Williams is blaming himself again, or at least partially so, saying after the Virginia defeat: “I’ve gotten awfully dumb in the last six months is what someone told me, and in some ways it’s true.”

Added Williams: “It’s about as frustrating or disappointed as I have been in my entire life.”

Williams didn’t make any comparisons, but the last time one of his teams performed this poorly was his rookie year as a coach in 1988-89 and the Jayhawks dropped eight games in a row during the conference season, four in Allen Fieldhouse.

Why are the Heels struggling? I haven’t seen them in person, but you can tell a lot about a basketball team by checking out its statistics.

The first thing I checked were the UNC shooting percentages, and they were middling — 47.5 percent from the field and 66.9 percent from the free throw line. For comparison purposes, the Jayhawks’ corresponding numbers are 49.6 and 70.9.

But the really glaring stat is turnovers. Carolina has coughed the ball up 25 more times than its opponents. Kansas, meanwhile, has 50 fewer giveaways than its foes.

If you’ve seen the Heels on the tube, you know that Larry Drew II is their point guard. If you’ve been around awhile, you surely remember his father was a point guard at Missouri in the late ’70s after prepping at Kansas City Wyandotte High.

So I guess you could say that there is one player on the Tar Heels roster with at least a remote connection to the Sunflower State.

Maybe the Tar Heels are just in a temporary sinking spell. Perhaps they’ll finish strong. Right now, though, as Ol’ Roy might say, they’re “purty bad.”

Comments

anon1958 4 years, 10 months ago

Six weeks of any kind of college basketball is a "bad" six weeks for anyone that is not infatuated with a children's game of limited tactical ingenuity played by pampered young men and coached by egomaniacs that are paid outrageous salaries by narcissistic athletic directors at shameless and soulless universities in front of squaking and screeching middle aged men and women that have surrendered any meaningful life to a vicarious existence in front of a basketball court that they could probably not run the full length of on a bet against their life.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

anon is either being sarcastic, or is a very bitter little boy.

cato_the_elder 4 years, 10 months ago

TopJayhawk, why do you presume that anon1958 is a male? Females also know how to dredge up adjectives simply to look intelligent to themselves.

newmedia 4 years, 10 months ago

A trip to the NIT for the Heels would be like Christmas in March !!

lawrence_citizen 4 years, 10 months ago

anon...... so why don't you tell us how you really feel?

JustNoticed 4 years, 10 months ago

Anon1958, that is ONE beautiful sentence, thank you.

Jim Williamson 4 years, 10 months ago

Just in case you missed it -- Roy did indeed get teary-eyed in the post-Virginia news conference. UNCCH fans are now really starting to see the Mayberry gosh-golly act that KU fans endured Roy's last six or seven years. They don't like it anymore than we did.

anon1958 4 years, 10 months ago

No extraordinary intelligence is required to to poke fun at the absurdity of college basketball. Thus it is hardly a topic that would be useful to try and demonstrate one's intelligence. Accusing a critic of being bitter is a popular refuge people with big butthurt but a small dose of creativity.

The sarcasm and rhetorical exaggeration is somewhat obvious to any reader worthy of the label by the ridiculous length of the single sentence. Even though a case could be made that perhaps I did not really exaggerate all that much.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

Coudln't resist rubbing it in, eh Chuck? Real professional.

georgiahawk 4 years, 10 months ago

anon, great thing about America is that you don't have to pay attention to this part of life.

Jock Navels 4 years, 10 months ago

He read the article, therefore he is one of us.

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 10 months ago

But what would Noam Chomsky REALLY make of that utterance?

And you forgot to use the ubiquitous American word "awesome", "cute" for the male gender.

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 10 months ago

PS: When ol' Roy breaks out the stuffed monkey, watch out!

beawolf 4 years, 10 months ago

anon1958,

So, who is twisting your arm to watch these games? I'm sure we could trash some of the things you find entertaining.

Apparently you are interested enough to: 1. Know who Roy Williams is. 2. Take the time to read the article. 3. Comment on a subject you so thoroughly detest.

Your disparagement and denigration of the subject theme engenders a feeling that you are being contrary and perverse for your own narcissistic hilarity rather than as a substantive critique.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone even miss Roy anymore? KU has experienced more success under Bill Self, IMO.

mom_of_three 4 years, 10 months ago

And you might add a nice use of prepositional phrases - alot of them. TOO many of them.

beawolf 4 years, 10 months ago

Considering that Roy's recruiting class of 2009 was considered the best in the country ( 3 top 10's and 5 of the top 20), this is truly a coaching disaster, not a lack of talent.

cowboy 4 years, 10 months ago

didn't Ole roy goe thru surgery this season ? Having gone thru it and the resulting pain and meds i know i wasn't on my game for awhile. That being said I think it might be time for Roy to consider retiring. i used to think he was going to have a head explosion when he'd do that go to one knee thing.

rtwngr 4 years, 10 months ago

One of the commentators on ESPN was saying that Roy and his boys might have trouble making the "Not Invited Tournament" if they aren't careful.

anon1958 - Thank you in advance for never blogging again.

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 10 months ago

I wish someone would tell Roy that his most unattractive quality is that he is too thin skinned. He lets a few loud mouthed critics with limited brain capacities on a radio show or internet site get under his skin.

Let it go.

He was great for Kansas. Absolutely great. Without Roy, maybe we don't get a guy like Bill Self, who is a better coach for Kansas.

But Roy was great. No doubt.

Let it go.

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

It's Roy Williams and the Tar Heels. They'll be back.

Someone think about where KU would have been last year if Collins had the opportunity and the desire to jump ship along with Rush, Chalmers and the rest.

Yeah. . . .

hesshawk 4 years, 10 months ago

To follow up on beawolf's comment, having a stellar recruiting does not necessarily lead to success. Every one of the top 50 college freshmen are used to being "the man" in HS. Some of them take a while to figure out how to be the 2nd or 3rd or 4th banana. Some figure it out, some don't. Some like the ones that Calipari signs, have no intention of staying more than 1 year (watch Cousins and Wall say g-bye after their season ends). Others will stay and learn how to play together as a team (see our Jayhawks as a great example of this).

Enjoy UNC's struggles if you want to. Unfortunately, they will be back in the national picture sooner rather than later.

Meanwhile, Rock Chalk

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 10 months ago

rtwngr (Anonymous) says…

One of the commentators on ESPN was saying that Roy and his boys might have trouble making the “Not Invited Tournament” if they aren't careful.

Yea it only took 7 losses to get them out of the Top 25...CBB's darlings always get special treatment. I bet they still make the NCAA tourney, just because they're UNC.

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

jonas laid out the cautionary tale; don't be too arrogant over the state of our 'Hawks nor critical of Roy. Early departures can decimate a program - ANY program. Anyone know how UCLA is doing this year? Having to rely on freshman is beyond tenuous. UNC started 12 - 4 and beat Michigan State and Ohio State. Do you really think they just suddenly stink? It's youth. Unpredictable and easily discouraged.

anon, Shame you don't enjoy the game. Different strokes.

Bobo Fleming 4 years, 10 months ago

irony karma joy and universal well being and the feeling that the universe is just after all.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 10 months ago

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

Any theory that anon is logicsound is gone now. Not that it was ever a creditable theory to begin with.

braverthanu 4 years, 10 months ago

North Carolina is full of Chenowith's...Roy glad you are gone. You took your snobby way of coaching to NC. No one deserves a win...you must earn them. Get used to it.

mom_of_three 4 years, 10 months ago

a bad season can happen to anyone, even roy.

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

I hadn't heard the anon/logicsound comparison. Where did he disappear to? Haven't seen his distinctive posts in too long.

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

No idea, but I saw someone say that a couple days back.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

anon: "...squaking and screeching middle aged men and women that have surrendered any meaningful life to a vicarious existence in front of a basketball court that they could probably not run the full length of on a bet against their life."

Yes, and the ability to write long, smarmy sentences on the inter-webs obviously requires youth, great physical fitness, a full and complete life devoid of outside destractions and the ability to always focus on one's personal goals. uh huh.

anon: "No extraordinary intelligence is required to to poke fun at the absurdity of college basketball."

Indeed. "No extraordinary intelligence" is exactly what I thought when I read your first comment.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a sporting event. Personally, I like college ball but prefer the NBA. That is from growing up where the NBA played and watching those games rather than college. (Yes, I also now enjoy the WNBA as well.) Now, with the one and done players, it is difficult to get behind a college team. Little chance to really follow the growth of a player.

Roy never brought KU a championship. Bill Self has, and may again soon. I am someone who is happy to see Roy gone.

Joe Hyde 4 years, 10 months ago

I just hope that coach Williams can find ways of dealing with the pressure he feels himself under.

In his first three or four years at KU, when players would screw up during a game he would more often than not stand up and grin at the kid, as if to say, "Hey, don't sweat it; nice try, keep goin!" And then as the years went on he began showing almost nothing but anger. It got to the point where I thought about writing him a personal letter about it, telling him how worried I'd become for his health.

The pressures of coaching basketball at places like Kansas and North Carolina must be tremendous. For coaches, you just hope they get to have fun, too, and can find ways of dealing with it. You hope for their sake that winning most of their games doesn't somehow make things worse.

Scruggsy 4 years, 10 months ago

I see this as a horrible job of coaching by Ol' Roy. They seem to be getting worse as the season has gone on, not better. A good coaching job would have a young team playing bad during the non-con but improving, and starting to make noise in the conference. They are doing the opposite.

One of my complaints when Roy was here was that he had "his system" (run n gun) and would never stray from it, either in a single game or season, even in a bad matchup. I think this may be a big part if his problem this year.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Roy when he was here & he did a great job here, but I think we are in much better shape now w/ Coach Self. His teams always improve as the season progresses. And he has no problem recruiting the east coast (which Roy said was impossible at KU. Ha!).

oklahoma 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm a Bill Self fan, but thought Roy was a class act, and with 2 national titles and hundreds of wins, all the whiners on here need to give it a rest--he gets it done.

The very real possibility that UNC could end up in the sweet sixteen and KU could end up outsted early should keep all Hawks humble and very quiet until the Ides of March. KU is a very young ballclub with very little depth along the front line.

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 10 months ago

WOW! One sentence to get this reaction. Truth hurts. Just think of what it would be with punctuation.

There's an elephant in the room.

oklahoma 4 years, 10 months ago

ousted, that is, before all the spelling bee champs weigh in

jimmyjms 4 years, 10 months ago

@Anon - um, do **** off, yeah?

@Chuck Woodling - schadenfreude is not an attractive trait.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

well roy, sorry things aren't going better for you.

At least we don't have to look at dean smith wearing carolina blue in allen fieldhouse ever again.

Jim Williamson 4 years, 10 months ago

"...schadenfreude is not an attractive trait."

No, but it can be fun.

And in this case, should it be "schadenfROYde?"

KansasPerson 4 years, 10 months ago

anon1958 (Anonymous) says… "No extraordinary intelligence is required to to poke fun at the absurdity of college basketball."

Ahhhhh, priceless. This was worth logging on. :)

WhiteDog 4 years, 10 months ago

Phogfan86 (Anonymous) says… “…schadenfreude is not an attractive trait.”

No, but it can be fun.

And in this case, should it be “schadenfROYde?”

This made me snort. Most excellent.

Bobo Fleming 4 years, 10 months ago

So maybe Roy will decide to come back to Kansas knowing that we would take him back in a minute. Having left the first wife and know having reservations about the second Roy contemplates returning to wife one knowing that she must in her heart really be longing for him. In the world of Roy he always wanted to coach both schools at once and now that things are rocky in NC there is always plain jane but faithfull Kansas that will drop everything the second she learns that Roy is thinking of her again.

Scruggsy 4 years, 10 months ago

Senegal- you definitely don't speak for all Jayhawk fans when you say "we would take him back in a minute". I think Coach Self is one of the top 5 coaches in the country, if not the best. And he is in the prime of his career. It would've been nice if Roy had stayed his whole career, but he took his dream job, so good for him. But we did pretty good in the long run. And at this point, I (and many other Hawk fans) wouldn't want ANYBODY else calling the shots!

Guess what Roy? We (and a lot of the country) don't give a s#^t about North Carolina right now...

anon1958 4 years, 10 months ago

jumpin_catfish (Anonymous) says…

"so anon what should the middle aged be interested in or in other words, what can I do to be elite like you? Got any suggestions or do you just like to run off at the mouth."

I make no claims nor have any need to be elite. I have worked with students of all ages and social backgrounds as a mentor and martial art teacher as well as an instructor of biology. Of course teachers in American society are about as far from being elite as one can possibly get.

I must object to your statement that I "run off at the mouth." I may be a smartass but I least put some effort into it and do not rely on the usual repertoire of tired and cliched insults that are usually hurled at me.

To further answer junpincatfish, I would not presume to know what if anything it is you need because I do not know you. If I did know you I would still not presume to tell you as an individual what you should or should not do unless it appeared that your actions were going to endanger yourself or others.

I have enjoyed the company of more than a few KU football players as martial art students by the way. I think it is just pathetic that KU pays coaches millions of dollars for men to train these boys but these so called experts do not even have clue one how to really motivate people to accomplish difficult physical exercise and overcome barriers and limitations to performance that are psychological. The million dollar coaches do not even know how to train their athletes how to breathe, what a farce.

LOL at the haters. Of course sarcasm is difficult to get across on the internet, thus you must really go to extremes of hyperbole, and still yet some posters are oblivious.

The posters that criticise me for insulting the general problems of basketball have all taken my rebuke of a group activity as a personal insult. Yet I daresay in a conversation they would not defend the things I criticised rhetorically. I honestly take no offense at their insults because at the level of understanding have of my comments, what other result could there be. Pearls before swine you know?

anon1958 4 years, 10 months ago

aywalker (Anonymous) says…

anon, Shame you don't enjoy the game. Different strokes.

Completely neutral about the merits of the game, as a game. Not interested in any spectator sports, but that is purely a personal preference.

ansasPerson (Anonymous) says…

anon1958 (Anonymous) says… “No extraordinary intelligence is required to to poke fun at the absurdity of college basketball.”

Ahhhhh, priceless. This was worth logging on. :)

This is a paraphrase of a very intersting quote by one of my favorite philosophers, Bertrand Russell. I was inclined to begin the statement, Paraphrasing Bertrand Russell. . . . ." but I knew that would just get people going to wikipedia and making all kinds of silly inferences.

For your enjoyment here is the original quote'

"To avoid the various foolish opinions to which mankind are prone, no superhuman genius is required —Bertrand Russell"

I really like this quote as it is the perfect foil for the cliched populist neanderthal level accusation that I am just some elitist snob. For those having trouble following this logic, subtle though it is not, it means you dont need to be "elite" to recognize the idiocy of extremists or even there near cousins.

anon1958 4 years, 10 months ago

jonas_opines (Anonymous) says…

I have only ever posted under this name. It pains me greatly not to post under my real name. I have posted some critical remarks that while accurate, could be used to cause my family serious trouble from certain bullies in this town that have unlimited legal resources. My credentials would provide the reader with some context of my remarks that would prevent certain derails and just crazy inferences from being made, but on the other hand I do not terribly mind my comments and criticisms, failing or succeeding on their own merit or lack thereof.

I must say that it would not exactly take team CSI: Lawrence to figure out who I am with some degree of certainty even though I am pretty certain I have plausible deniability and in any event I will not admit to have written anything. I will of course not ever respond to a post that outs me in any way and I have of course put in some comments that are misdirections in regard to my identity.

JustNoticed 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey, I've met the man, been subjected to his entourage. I think he's a prick. So there.

brewmaster 4 years, 10 months ago

Mr. Woodling, This article shows that you may be a sports writer, but you are not a sports journalist...and certainly not a professional sports journalist.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

anon, your thesaurus is painful.

please put it way and go back to legos.

jaywalker 4 years, 10 months ago

"There is a dark and dirty underside to middle school, high school and college basketball and football that is an anathema to all people that are genuinely interested in the health and welfare of young people."

Don't know where you came across this experience, and it's a shame that's the sense you have of organized sports. I've been involved with sports since I was 7, played into college, coached. Sorry, but your perception is jaded and I'm guessing limited in its rationale. And when it comes to college sports....everyone benefits. How can you look at Bramlage last Saturday and not feel the power and intensity, the excitement and tension hanging in the air that transcends ordinary entertainment?

If you don't like sports, cool. If you've seen some bad things in sports, sorry, but then again, welcome to the club. Tell us where nothing goes wrong and we'll meet ya there.

anon1958 4 years, 10 months ago

puddleglum (Anonymous) says…

anon, your thesaurus is painful.

please put it way and go back to legos.

Well then, do you always assume that the writer has a thesarus at hand when you encounter a word that is unfamiliar to you?

What a few writers on this forum need, including puddlegum, is some kind of insult thesarus so they can refrain from just repeating the same old cliches.

Come on! Many of you are proving my point about the intellectual deadening and zombification that is the result of an overdose of spectator sports.

You are a little man, you are elitist, you use a thesarus etc. etc.These are just pathetic insults, you weaklings have no imagination. It is kind of like I am the KU basketball team and you are the scrubs for the team that plays for the orphanage of the little sisters of poor red headed stepchildren. It is just patently unfair for me to post here because the opposition is weaker than the Kansas economy. Seriously, some of you are about as competitive as the first three or four teams that KU football plays in the fall.

leedavid 4 years, 10 months ago

Did anyone see Roy cry? It's not officially a bad season if he doesn't cry.

Anon I am jealous of your skills with words, spelling and grammar.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

oh wow, anon

no doll, you aren't using any words unfamiliar to me, nice try. It is just obvious by your poor text assembly that you are not attenuated to higher ed-just faking it with a thesarus.

lee david is jealous, so you can hang your hat on that. Have a good day.

JustNoticed 4 years, 10 months ago

I second Anon1958's defense of his/her own literacy and extend kudos to Jaywalker's perfect grammar and punctuation. Try to understand, puddleglum, that it's simply a matter of knowing how to say what you mean. If you don't like the message, discuss that instead of attacking medium. If you want to discuss style, that's one thing. You might, for example, point out that Papa Hemingway would certainly slash Anon1958's verbiage down to its essence. But I'm not sensing such understanding from you.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

justnoticed, i don't care what you sense from me.

I already understand anon's point. much of it, if not all, I agree with. If i were to attack the medium, I would suggest sending your message via frisbee-but I didn't attack the medium-please re-read.

as for papa hemingway, well, let's just say I prefer paka keno's and a lil' E-A-Poe...lets go have a slice and we can battle with pepperoni

anon1958 4 years, 10 months ago

puddleglum (Anonymous) says…

oh wow, anon

Its almost valentines day. Ill send you copies of my publications from peer reviewed journals in the natural sciences and you send me yours. By the way did you really mean attenuated as pun, which I doubt, or the word attuned.