Archive for Monday, February 1, 2010

Q&A: Some H1N1 vaccinations contain thimerosal

February 1, 2010

Note: As part of our new health section, we will be featuring readers' health-related questions. If you have a question, contact Karrey Britt, health reporter.

Q: Does the H1N1 vaccination given to the public contain thimerosal

Barbara Schnitker

Barbara Schnitker

A: Some of the H1N1 flu products do contain thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative, said Barbara Schnitker, director of nurses at the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department.

It is used to protect against potential microbial contamination in multi-dose vial formulations, she said. Such contamination could cause serious illness or death.

Three leading federal agencies — Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Food and Drug Administration, and National Institutes of Health — have reviewed the published research on thimerosal and found it to be a safe product to use in vaccines.

For more information about thimerosal, visit the CDC’s Web site.

Comments

sunny 4 years, 2 months ago

I didn't and would not get the vaccine....it came along just a little too quickly for me

Robert Kiefer 4 years, 2 months ago

Can we offer you a little lead with your mercury little boy! call me a nut if you want but try to convince me ohterwise. 2 weeks before I gave my son MMR vaccine he was happy smiling 2 year old. 2 weeks after I was in KU med being told my son had autism. I can't prove vaccine had something to do with it. But no-one has proven to me it did not. Signed: an angry nut!

gr 4 years, 2 months ago

"only two nuts? harvest must have happened."

Boston, rather than calling names, how about answering where I can find what a safe amount of heavy metals, such as mercury, is?

And if you say I'm exposed to toxic materials elsewhere, doesn't mean mercury is safe. Could you say the same thing about DDT? Let's inject DDT into people because they are exposed to it in the environment. Or, how about lead paint? Since we are already exposed to lead, why not allow lead paint on our houses?

Saying that mercury doesn't "specifically" cause a "specific" disease or that no study has been done on it, does not make mercury safe.

Do you agree that with some substances, there is no safe amount? Why do you think there is inadequate evidence that mercury is not one of those substances?

sandersen 4 years, 2 months ago

Was the removal of thimerosal from contact lens solution in the 1980's at the request of the FDA a massive conspiracy? Was the removal of thimerosal from animal meds in the 1930's part of the same conspiracy to litigate against Pharma companies???

No, it was simply due to harmful side effects of thimerosal.

Vaccines are very important in helping prevent disease and save lives. Adding this chemical simply causes risk that is not necessary.

Btw, I have yet to meet anyone voluntarily injecting themselves with tuna...

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 2 months ago

I had polio in my family.

I know what vaccines are.

I also know what bad science is. There have been limited incidents of bad vaccine. But even with these, the equation for vaccines would indicate hundreds of thousands of lives have been saved.

The thimerisol hoax has from day one has been motivated by greed in a situation where tragic human health incidents occurs.

The retraction of this article, or whatever it is expressed as, is a result of the article's author being exposed for taking bribes from from the law firm seeking to make money from litigation from the vaccine manufacturer.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 2 months ago

Tracked, eroded personal freedoms, but die? Maybe in the FEMA concentration camps.

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

yes, you will die. I will die. Hopefully in about forty years from now.

Melissa Sigler 4 years, 2 months ago

I got a shot, am I going to die?

Kirk Larson 4 years, 2 months ago

gr (Anonymous) says… Boston, Bob, or Crack, could you tell me where I can find what a safe amount of heavy metals, such as mercury, is?

Ever eat a can of tuna? There, you've been exposed to more mercury than a typical vaccination.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 2 months ago

The whole govt surveillance panoply sickens me.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 2 months ago

RI: I've got two chips, one for each arm. That way the satellites can tell me if I am coming or going.

I'm thinking feet and head next time. For a fuller 3D Avatar effect.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

I've been chipped so many times, the tracking devices sort of cancel each other out.

sandersen 4 years, 2 months ago

Multi-use vials are not worth having an injection into a child's bloodstream of a chemical we are, indeed, warned to avoid in our food supply.

We manged to remove it from contact lens solution without the world coming to an end...

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

No worries R_I. We all got chipped a long time ago...I think they use it to find out where I go fishing.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 2 months ago

That sore spot after your H1N1 vaccination? That's just the scar tissue forming around the microchip they implanted.

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

Swordfish anyone? Simply put, they use it in the multi dose vials so the reintroduction of a needle into the vial is not compromised by a potentially harmful microbe. I guess if your are not an infant or a pregnant infant, it is pretty safe stuff. Yellowfin Tuna anybody?

gphawk89 4 years, 2 months ago

"here come the nuts…."

My first thought as soon as I saw the title of the article.

sandersen 4 years, 2 months ago

Thimerosal, not the MMR vaccine, was the topic of the article. Thimerosal was deemed dangerous and removed from animal medications and even contact lens solutions and cleaners many years ago. There are no acceptable amounts of mercury/mercury compounds to inject into a child's bloodsteam, particularly since thimerosal is not an active agent of effect for the vaccination.

Simply put, if it is not a necessary component to the efficacy of the vaccine or medication, don't add it.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

B_C stole my post! Darn him. Darn him to the pits of heck!

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 2 months ago

Of course this won't change the nuts' minds, but this is how all this nonsense started, and as of today it has officially been debunked by the medical journal that originally published it:

February 2 (CNN) -- The medical journal The Lancet on Tuesday retracted a controversial 1998 paper that linked the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine to autism.

The study linked autism with the MMR vaccine. The research had been discredited subsequently.

Last week, the study's lead author Dr Andrew Wakefield was found to have acted unethically in conducting the research.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 2 months ago

only two nuts? harvest must have happened.

gr 4 years, 2 months ago

rooster, you didn't tell us what else was on the page!

Things they are investigating are, alopecia areata (hair loss) Bell's palsy is a common neurologic disorder Idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura (ITP) Thimerosal and Neurodevelopment yellow fever vaccine-associated viscerotropic disease (previously called multiple organ system failure) diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccines - less is known regarding the safety of administration of two or more of these vaccines

Doesn't quite sound like one could say they were "safe".

When you see most of those studies are "under way", except for the one wishing to dispute the quality of the previous significant studies, kind of makes a further joke out of those who say there have been no studies showing a link between mercury and autism. Key words here are, "no studies".

"have reviewed the published research on thimerosal " Yep, not much published research, if any.

Sound safe to you?

Who has the tinfoil hat on their heads? Those with it pulled down over their ears saying don't tell me the bad, just give me a pill to make me feel safe.

If you want to uncover your ears, might want to read the following CDC link: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vsd/thimerosal_outcomes/ " Among the 42 outcomes measured, the study found that the majority of the outcomes had NO association with thimerosal exposure and most associations would be what is expected by chance alone."

But of those 42 outcomes measured, while most did not have an association, there were "a few statistically significant associations or consistent patterns between exposure to thimerosal and neuropsychological functioning".

So, yeah, not all 42 things will get you. But, a few will. What's 2 or 3 out of 42? "poorer performance with attention and executive functioning " "a higher likelihood of motor and phonic tics " "poorer scores on one test of verbal intellectual functioning" But, there were some benefits such as, visual spatial ability.

New definition of safe. Only 3 out of 42 significant problems, but hey, good things, too.

I wonder if besides the 42, there might be other things they didn't think to measure....

gr 4 years, 2 months ago

rooster 4 years, 2 months ago

It's nice that Barbara and the CDC can pick and choose what they want to say regardless of the facts. So if Thimerosal is so safe why have they just begun a study on it's possible connection to autism?

Thimerosal and Autism

In response to public concerns, VSD researchers have begun a case-control study to examine the association between thimerosal and autism rigorously. The study aims to determine whether exposure to thimerosal in infancy or in utero is related to development of autism. The study will also evaluate whether exposure to thimerosal in infancy is related to development of the subclass of autism predominantly associated with regression. As part of the study, researchers will use automated data and registries to identify children with autism (cases) and without autism (controls). In-person examinations, telephone interviews, medical chart reviews, and immunization tracking systems will be used to collect information on vaccine history and other covariates. Recommended by the Institute of Medicine, this VSD study will be the first rigorous, epidemiological study conducted on the issue of thimerosal and autism. Data from this VSD study should provide the best available scientific information on whether a causal association between exposure to thimerosal and the development of autism is possible.

This study is in the data collection phase.