Archive for Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sanitation company worker killed when garbage truck runs over him in rural Leavenworth County

December 30, 2010, 8:24 a.m. Updated December 30, 2010, 5:29 p.m.

Timothy Edward "Bud" Schonhoff

Timothy Edward "Bud" Schonhoff

Garbage Truck Accident

Leavenworth County sheriff’s officers said a trash collector died Wednesday after being run over by a trash truck.

A Honey Creek Disposal truck driven by Kevin W. Colon, 26, Eudora, was backing into a driveway to pick up trash from a rural Lawrence home, when he ran over another employee who was lying on the ground, according to Leavenworth County Undersheriff Ron Cranor.

Cranor said officials presume that the employee, Timothy E. Schonhoff, 24, hopped out of the cab and was walking on the side of the truck when he slipped and fell to the ground. Schonhoff, who officials said was living in Lawrence at the time of his death, died at the scene.

The accident occurred in the 26000 block of Ninth Street, which is about 2.5 miles north and one mile east of Lawrence Municipal Airport. The residence has a Lawrence mailing address.

The property is very close to the Leavenworth County-Jefferson County line, but the property owner identified the site of the accident as being in Leavenworth County, Cranor said.

Comments

frank mcguinness 3 years, 12 months ago

Our condolences to the family of the person killed. Honey Creek picks up our trash and the guys on our route are very very professional, nice and friendly. The guy on the back always stops for 30 seconds to give our dog a treat and pet her. Once angin condolences to all involved.

lily 3 years, 12 months ago

Deepest sympathies to the family. Thoughts and prayers to all those involved.

sherbert 3 years, 12 months ago

What a very sad, tragic accident. Horrible for all involved. Condolences to the family.

tmaeb 3 years, 12 months ago

I too, am on the guys route (honey creek) and I am so sorry about this, I want give our deepest condolence to his family, friends, everybody. Just know that we all have you in our hearts and prayers, and yes with three obnoxious dog he would be so kind...

Chris Ogle 3 years, 12 months ago

So sorry to hear this. Honey Creek guys have always been professional and friendly.

Prayers to the families.

kansgirl 3 years, 12 months ago

I know the father of the young man that was killed. So devastating. My deepest heart felt sympathy to his family and to his co-workers.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 12 months ago

I know the joy of riding on a trash truck. I know the wind through your hair, the body's daily workout and the satisfaction of seeing relieved customers and waving children. It is a job that few can do and those that make the grade are an exclusive breed.

This is a tragedy and one that weighs heavily (or should at least) on every Class B driver and helper's minds.

Rest in peace young man. You were making a positive change in people's lives daily and I know that you were loving every minute of it, deep in your heart.

padams02 3 years, 12 months ago

Timmy was a good guy.....always the center of attention and very funny. I haven't spoken to him much since I moved away from where we grew up, but I know there are a lot of people hurting and a lot of people that cared for him. RIP Timmy.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 12 months ago

I went to school with two of his older brothers. My deepest condolences to the family, friends, and people that knew this young man. Sending prayers of peace to all of you.

seriouscat 3 years, 12 months ago

How tragic both for the deceased and the driver. This kind of thing could really happen to anyone. Deepest condolences to all who are suffering as a result of this accident!