Archive for Thursday, December 30, 2010

Convicted Wyandotte County sex offender escapes from state custody, manhunt under way

December 30, 2010

Bruce Franklin Burns

Bruce Franklin Burns

— A man convicted of sex crimes against children is on the run after escaping from the Larned State Hospital.

Hospital spokesman Cory Turner says 41-year-old Bruce Franklin Burns escaped during a Wednesday afternoon sexual predator treatment program. Pawnee County authorities say the search for Burns continued Thursday.

Burns is 5-foot-10 male of American Indian descent, with brown eyes, long brown hair and facial hair. He was last seen wearing a navy blue jacket, khaki pants, black shoes and a navy blue ski cap.

The Hutchinson News reports that Burns was sent to Larned after serving prison terms for 1997 crimes of aggravated criminal sodomy of a child under the age of 14 and aggravated indecent liberties with a child under the age of 14. His convictions came in Wyadotte County.

Comments

amac 4 years, 7 months ago

LJW--can you tell us where they are hunting? Do they think he is in Lawrence?

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 7 months ago

No reason to believe he's in Lawrence. Their search is concentrated near Larned, but the possibility has been raised that he would return to the area he knows best, likely Wyandotte County.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 7 months ago

The KDOC site was down most of the morning. It just came back up and I was able to get a photo, which I've just now updated. Sorry for the delay.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 7 months ago

"Burns is 5-foot-10 male of American Indian descent". - there you go again, hypocrites. You can't pick and chose what stories and what predators you want to include race in. You lose twice in two days kealing, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate or eliminate the stupid policy, you aren't even following your own rules.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 7 months ago

Actually, the man is an escaped convict. Inclusion of race can help identify him if he's seen. I have no problem with it.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 7 months ago

I agree cait, however, the LJW has a "policy" of not including race in descriptions of criminals. Kealing outlined it clearly in an article two days ago. They altered the police description to eliminate the fugitives race (even though every other paper stated it was a young black male). Kealing defended the rediculois policy and refused to write the story as the police released it. Then the next two articles regarding fugitives did state their race, a white man in his 40s and someone of native American decent. The selective enforcement is unprofessional and perhaps the single biggest reason their policy is so stupid. You can't have it both ways johnathan.

lionheart72661 4 years, 7 months ago

I agree totally with you z. No matter if the person is white, black, hispanic, native american, etc. the race is an important factor in the identification.

rgh 4 years, 7 months ago

Totally agree. I don't care if someone is white, Hispanic, black, Japanese, etc. If the Journal has a policy I suggest they revisit that policy. I want all the info I can get regardless of who made the decision or wrote the story. Sounds like someone has a personal grudge for some reason.

openminded 4 years, 7 months ago

The car that he is in was last seen around midnight in LaCrosse, KS. We searched until 3am and couldn't find her or the car either. The car is a BLUE JEEP CHEROKEE...KS plate BKS154. Be on the lookout.

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

Her? What her? What are you talking about? As of 11:49am, there's nothing about any "her" in comments or the story.

openminded 4 years, 7 months ago

The her I'm talking about a former employee that is now is girlfriend. I don't know her name but she was questioned early in the evening and has now vanished.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

If his 'nads had been nailed to a post in Larned, he woulnd't have gotten away.

openminded 4 years, 7 months ago

Ya, because that's what we do, torture people! Please-get a life. He was committed to a sexual treatment facility. That is what the judge ordered. As you say...if his 'nads had been nailed to a post in WY county where the crimes took place, there would be no issue at all, now would there? What a crazy way of thinking man.

hungryhustler 4 years, 7 months ago

You may be singing a different tune if it was your little sister or your child that he did those things to. Sex offenders should be castrated.

openminded 4 years, 7 months ago

No I wouldn't. I'm a Corrections Officer and think chomos are the lowest of all humans. I am doing my job and trying to protect the public by having this story published. Because Larned didn't castrate him isn't the issue here. He served time in prison, why didn't the inmates do something about him there? The issue is that he's loose now...we need help trying to locate him to put him back where he belongs.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

"I am doing my job and trying to protect the public by having this story published." Wait a moment, what role did you play in getting this AP story posted on the LJW website?

openminded 4 years, 7 months ago

I sent them the info so that Lawrence could be advised.

notanoobhere 4 years, 7 months ago

castration wouldn't stop him he would use a foreign object to rape a child with, one thing will stop them, DEATH, we should be killing all chomos not giving them some tissue's and asking them about their childhood, a bed of broken glass is to good for these sick F*($S.

compmd 4 years, 7 months ago

feeeaaarrr!!!! the boogeyman is gonna rape every kid he finds, five times! right? better kill him to be sure, right? right?

Moron. Maybe if you get a speeding ticket a good samaritan will cut off your right foot with a rusty butter knife to give you a taste of your own warped sense of justice.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

so according to anonymous poster his GF was former employee at the sex offender unit.

hope you guys catch them both! she's likely as sick as he is.

now, a little warning, don't take everything posted on these threads by freshly minted anonymous posters as being factual, correct or complete.

I hope Openminded is whom he/she claims to be, and if so: more power to you!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

well, I see I must correct my previous post.
Openminded just hasn't posted much [42] in over four years of being registered.

so, not newly minted. sorry.

however, on threads like this there's been occasions when a poster claims inside information that just does not pan out.

ljworld, thanks for full description including race, and a pic.

openminded 4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks. I have been a Corrections Officer for over 2 years and helped with this manhunt last night/this morning. I'm trying to get the news out to all of Eastern KS/KC area so they can protect their kids/family from him. I have dealt with him in other issues and believe me, he's dangerous and seems to be able to manipulate others easily. Please, just be on the lookout for the Blue Jeep Cherokee. KS plate BKS154. I'm tired of defending myself and my job as a CO, I'm to the point that I just want them found.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 7 months ago

Don't bother trying to defend yourself, people on here don't care. Some of them will do anything to get under your skin. Your inflamatory responses, however, could get you canned if brought to your bosses attention. Good job on getting word out with the story, leave it at that. Your comments will get you in trouble.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 7 months ago

Which is probably why he/she is posting anonymously. Last I heard, the First Amendment was still in full force.

Kris_H 4 years, 7 months ago

There's not much of the First Amendment when your boss can tell you what you can and cannot do even on your own time, and believe me in corrections and law enforcement they do just exactly that.

notanoobhere 4 years, 7 months ago

There is no rehabilitation for these sick POS. Do not bring him in, he has a gun and will use it on you, shoot him first dont give him a chance to hurt you. If anyone finds him make sure you double tap the head.

acg 4 years, 7 months ago

He shouldn't have ever been sent to this "treatment facility". He's a child sex offender and at the time he was convicted he should've been executed. The recidivism rate for this crime is incredibly high. They have no value to our society. Kill 'em all, and don't even bother asking God to sort 'em out.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 7 months ago

Although I generally agree with you, Py, there are people branded as "sex offenders" because an 18 year old boy had the stupidity to have consensual sex with a 16 year old girl and mommy and daddy got butt hurt that their little angel didn't go along with her "abstinence training".

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

I think this is the first time I've ever seen pedophilia referred to as a mental illness. If it were legally deemed as a mental illness, then why do you think all the cases aren't tried as such? I do not consider an act of this kind as a mental illness. I do consider it to be an act of depravity.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 7 months ago

Most acts of depravity where the perpetrator commits inhumane crimes (serial rapists, pedophiles, serial killers, etc) actually probably do have a mental illness. At the very least they are sociopaths who commit their crimes with "depraved indifference" (that phrase so well loved by "Law and Order"). Their brains are wired differently and they will never be "normal". Which is why treatment for them is a joke. It's also why I support the death penalty. These people aren't "human" and for their own sake and the sake of society need to be put down like any other rabid animal.

compmd 4 years, 7 months ago

Thank you for being sane. There's a definite lack of sanity around these parts lately.

lily 4 years, 7 months ago

Child molesters bring out something in people that can otherwise lay dormant. Mental illness or whatever, they are a threat to our children. While I may or maynot agree with some drastic measures I can certainly understand the feeling. Same with molesting the elderly in nursing homes. People who harm those unable to protect themselves don't get a lot of sympathy. Even some convicted murderers look at child molesters as low life. Funny, but that's how it is.

shanep 4 years, 7 months ago

really, none2? how can you even draw that parallel? where is your compassion for the poor child who had no choice in the matter? This guy is the worst type of scum even by scum standards.

xclusive85 4 years, 7 months ago

I think what they are saying is that their punishment should be the same, neither one deserves to live for what they have done.

On another note, are you sure that Longoria's actions had nothing to do with pedophilia? I didn't stay up to date on the case, but it wouldn't be a stretch to think that it did.

signoflife 4 years, 7 months ago

So, I know there are a lot of strong feelings toward sex offenders, however, not all offenses are equal. For example, in many states, public urination, or mooning someone will land you with the "sex offender" designation. Are we going to kill everyone that has mooned someone before? There are also many offenses that are online only offenses, such as e-mailing inappropriate material to someone underage. The people don't even have to ever meet physically in the same place, yet they will be on the list. So, I think people need to be careful on here about who we "kill" or "castrate" or whatever. There are court determined predators that are dangerous, and I don't wish that they go roaming around town either, but I think generalizations such as ALL sex offenders need this or that should be avoided. Luckily in Kansas, all court determined predators are civilly committed (like this guy). Let's hope they find him before he does something bad.

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

Were talking about an adult who was charged and convicted of aggravated criminal sodomy against a child, not someone who moons a teacher or urinates on the sidewalk. There is no comparison between these different acts.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 7 months ago

And yet these same people will be branded (and treated) as "sex offenders" for life.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

important to remember that the Larned fascility and the civil committal procedure here in kansas were actually pioneering work when it all started.

while we are angry that this happened, and maybe some idiot woman thought she was in love with this perv, a woman who worked there, overall we are safer because of this fascility and our state's commitment of this kind of dangerous sex offender.

until sex offenders are housed in fascilities operated entirely by robots, humans will occasionally fail. of course, robots may fail when they get hacked, too.

brujablanco 4 years, 7 months ago

fascility? GAWD you are beginning to remind me of HWSNBN with your pompous "grasp" of the English language. :-)

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

Jonathan, will you try to update this story?

openminded 4 years, 7 months ago

No update as of yet. I just got off my shift, no recovery of him yet. The car is still out there and she is still 'of interest'. Remember...blue Jeep Cherokee KS BKS154...please. I'm really wanting him to return before something bad happens to another child.

geoismeo 4 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Kealing. We don't know who this person going by the name of openminded is. This description and tag number he is giving out may be someone he has a grudge against. I can't believe he is the official spokesperson for the dept. In our dept. we have a spokesperson and all communication goes through them.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

openminded (anonymous) replies …

December 30, 2010 at 10:29 p.m.

---Openminded, sadly anyone can come on here and post anything, claim to be anybody. even if they give their actual birth certificate name!
if you are involved in this, then Godspeed and may you guys be successful catching this dangerous criminal.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

brujablanco (anonymous) replies …

December 31, 2010 at 10:05 a.m.

---White-witch, LOL! Yeah, somebody has to. it's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it.

wonder how many posters and readers today don't even know who HWSNBN [may he rest in peace] was?

The part where the committed dangerous persistent sex offenders are housed isn't technically a "prison."

brujablanco 4 years, 7 months ago

"LOL! Yeah, somebody has to. it's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it. "

...and you are doing a damned fine job, gnome. Keep it up. Happy New year to you!

acg 4 years, 7 months ago

Don't get me wrong, none2, I also believe if you murder a child or torture a child you should be put to death as well. I just, personally, have no patience for anyone who rapes and or murders children.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

None2: There are degrees of criminal deeds, and if you make broad generalization of what is deserving of capital punishment, then you cheapen its purpose.

---well said. I am convinced that some sex offenders should get life, and some should get the death penalty. the death penalty for: repeat offenders, violent, perhaps with premeditation. especially if the victim is a child. I believe this because the offender so completely changes the mind and heart and body of his or her victim. and that is done for life.
mooning or urinating in public? perhaps caning as punishment? but probably these shouldn't get somebody the RSO designation.

White-witch, happy new year to you too! keep up the good work.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

Does anybody have any update to this story?

is there more current info online somewhere?

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years, 7 months ago

I can't find anything online, so I came here in hopes of an update as well. Let me know if you hear anything.