Advertisement

Archive for Thursday, December 30, 2010

100 years ago: Gasoline stove explosion leads to fire in Mass Street dwelling

December 30, 2010

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily World for Dec. 30, 1910:

  • “The explosion of a small gasoline stove in the rooms of Mary Anderson, who occupies the second floor of the Glathart building, 608 Massachusetts street, last night started a fire which the presence of the fire department was necessary to extinguish. When the stove exploded, burning oil was thrown over the wood work of a doorway, setting fire to it. By the time the fire department arrived, the walls were blazing vigorously.”
  • “Annexation by Spain of the new born republic of Portugal is believed today by English officials to be imminent in the event that reported monarchical movements in Portugal reach acute stage. Unofficial advices today say Spain is mounting troops on the Portuguese frontier with intention of intervening if the little republic is thrown into war.”
  • “The hike which the Boy Scouts affiliated with the Y.M.C.A. had planned to take today, was postponed because of the muddy condition of the country roads. A score of twelve year old boys had been promised a hike to Cameron’s bluff this morning. They were to start at nine o’clock under the leadership of L. Black and, carrying lunches, spend the day on the bluff overlooking the Kaw. The lads hope to be able to take the hike some Saturday after school begins.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.