Archive for Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sixteen of 27 dogs rescued from Independence dog-fighting operation tested, ready for adoption

December 29, 2010

Sixteen of 27 dogs rescued in October from a dog-fighting operation in Independence are ready for adoption — including several in Lawrence that are rested, tested and looking for homes for the new year.

The dogs, all of them pit bulls, are available for adoption by licensed rescue operators or regular folks looking for loyal canine companions.

Each animal has been temperament-tested through Game Dog Guardian, a Lawrence organization led by Anthony Barnett, who is a board member at the Lawrence Humane Society. The organization also plans to provide the dogs with training in general obedience skills.

“As far as physical things, the dogs look good,” said Midge Grinstead, executive director of the Humane Society. “One is very timid and fearful, and the others are coming along very well. …

“These dogs were used and abused. They’re great dogs. They make really loyal companions. It’s good to see them treated so well and (ready to) get a loving home.”

For more information about the animals or potential adoptions, contact the Humane Society at 843-6835, or Katie Barnett, president of the Kansas University chapter of the Animal Legal Defense Fund, at 832-8100 or katie@gamedogguardian.com.

Comments

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 3 months ago

Kontum1972 (anonymous) says…

would the US Military have any use for some of these dogs?

I don't think they use dog meat in the MRE's now. But you could write your congressman with the suggestion.

autie 3 years, 3 months ago

It was Independence Kansas. The actually site of the dog operation was south of town. The allegeded perp can be found in KASPER. http://165.201.143.205/kasper2/offender.asp?id=46242

He is also being held on a variety of drug charges.

Tony Kisner 3 years, 3 months ago

Did I miss it? Independence KS or MO?

Cade Butler 3 years, 3 months ago

ksrush:

What is your company? You clearly are an expert and this is free advertising. I find it a bit unbelievable that a professional dog trainer won't even provide his name/company so people can seek his expertise.

The dogs weren't evaluated by the Humane Society. They were evaluated by Anthony and his staff at Game Dog Guardian. They have evaluated and cared for two of my rescued pit mixes, and I have seen the rehab success they have had with countless other pits. I have never met anyone with as much pit bull experience as Anthony.

You can keep professing you antiquated beliefs on canine rehabilitation, but the case studies are out there and they disprove your views. Someone in the industry should be well aware of this.

Kontum1972 3 years, 3 months ago

would the US Military have any use for some of these dogs?

tanaumaga 3 years, 3 months ago

ksrush,,,,dog god. oh bow wow to the dog god.

judgery8 3 years, 3 months ago

From what I read, the dogs were temperament tested through Game Dog Guardian, a local group that specializes in pit bull training and evaluation of dogs from cruelty cases, not the humane society. The news story tonight reiterated that they, along with most rescue groups, do not tolerate human aggression or adopt out dogs they deem unsuitable to have as pets. The news person said those dogs are either placed in a sanctuary shelter or euthanized. I imagine the streets of Lawrence will still be safe once these dogs are taught general obedience and house manners - just like any other rescued dog. I also imagine any dog with dog aggression will be placed in a home with a responsible and experienced owner.

Several canine victims of cruelty are therapy dogs - including a therapy dog at Game Dog Guardian called Leonidas.

It looks like they know what they're doing.

Sdw 3 years, 3 months ago

I love how people can say in one sentence that "dogs are like people" implying to me that they are individuals and in another suggest that these dogs are not worthy of adoption, or even individual evaluation. These animals are victims of cruelty, they deserve the chance to be evaluated and placed in a loving home. People are also failing to distinguish between aggression towards other animals and aggression towards humans. It's rare for a fighting dog to show aggression to humans, afterall a major emphasis of the breeding has been so the dogs could be handled even in the midst of a vicious dogfight.

Don't assume that because a dog has been horrifically abused, that it isn't capapble of being rehabilitated. In many cases, they don't really even need to be rehabilitated, they just need a chance to be a loved family member.

Paula Kissinger 3 years, 3 months ago

Most of you posting here have the right idea and some sense...that would be except for ksrush who seems to believe he/she/whatever is the authority on the subject. Try reading the alternate, but same, story. You will find it titled : Lawrence group hoping to help rescued pit bulls find new homes. Lovely banter there...

mrbig 3 years, 3 months ago

Many of the dogs that Michael Vick fought were successfully adopted out, and live good lives now. While some of the dogs rescued may not have the temperment to be reintroduced into normal homes- I'm sure that many of them will never have a problem. Most APBT adoption agencies carefully select homes by what preexisting pets the owners have, children, and the owners' knowledge of the breed.

I personally have 3 APBTs, and they are all great with my 2 year old daughter. In fact, the one with the best temperment I took from someone in Lawrence who cut off his ears himself, beat him, and starved him to try to prep him for fighting. He is the mellowest dog. Even when other dogs bite and growl at him at the dog park he just lays down wagging his tail. He doesn't even register aggression from other dogs, and I have never heard him growl.

Agnostick 3 years, 3 months ago

Have the dog fighters been forcibly euthanized? It would be the best thing for society, and the only truly effective way of ridding society of this cruel activity.

Child molesters are lower than dog fighters... but not by much.

domino 3 years, 3 months ago

I, too, am a little suprised at these dogs being adopted out. I hate to lump any breed of dog into a catagory of any type, however, different breeds are more prone to different things. Pit Bulls can be wonderful pets, but I would be very skeptical of adopting one of these dogs who had been trained for fighting. I hope they are very particular about who they adopt thee dogs out to and the new owners are very aware of these dogs at all times. I would hate for anything bad to happen.

ksrush 3 years, 3 months ago

To be fair the breed does not matter. Dogs are like people, they are all different and how they turn out is to a great degree dictated by how they are raised. Unfortunately the dog is the looser in this scenario. I cant believe the humane society would actually entertain the thought of trying to adopt these dogs out.

chocolateplease 3 years, 3 months ago

What happens if one of these dogs, after being adopted, undergoes stress? Will they revert to agressive behavior? How old are the dogs, and how long had they been subjected to abuse before the rescue? It's hard to imagine how you could trust a pit bull that was formerly abused and used in fighting. I wouldn't want them around children, or running loose. I hope the criteria for those adopting them is strict and adequate, as I'd hate to see anyone get hurt.

LHS56 3 years, 3 months ago

I believe the employees at the Humane Society are qualified to determine the safety of an animal in one's home. We have taken three of their "animals" into our home - at the recommendatyion of staff - and are very pleased. I'm sorry ksrush, but perhaps you were dealing with another Humane Society other than Lawrence.

ksrush 3 years, 3 months ago

ksrush (anonymous) says… Those dogs should be put down. Any animal raised and trained to fight or " used and abused" is a time bomb waiting to go off. It probably shouldn't amaze me the humane society is stupid enough to let these types of animals into homes of people who have no clue as to what they are capable of. I have dealt with numerous animals the Lawrence Humane Society has incorrectly evaluated for temperament - scary.

" One is very timid and fearful" - that's a fear biter, they wont take as big a chunk of flesh as the ones that dont show fear.

Yes its harsh and cold but after decades of dog training this is beyond basic common sense. If you are detemined to get one of these animals at least get something in writting from the humane society as to the dogs temperament - it may come in handy when you sue them to pay for medical bills.