Archive for Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Lawrence man reports armed robbery on West 12th Street

December 29, 2010

A 20-year-old Lawrence man reported to police Tuesday night that he was the victim of an armed robbery in the 300 block of West 12th Street, Lawrence police said.

The victim told police he was walking in the area when a man who appeared to be about 20 years old got out of a dark-colored passenger car about 11:15 p.m. Tuesday.

The man had a handgun and demanded that the victim give him his wallet, according to Lawrence Police Sgt. Matt Sarna.

The suspect in the case was described as about six feet tall, and was wearing a dark coat and a dark stocking cap.

After the victim gave up his wallet, the suspect got back into the car and left the area, Sarna said.

No injuries were reported, and anyone with information in the case is asked to call the Lawrence Police Department at 832-7650 or Douglas County Crime Stoppers at 843-TIPS.

Comments

consumer1 3 years, 7 months ago

I cannot wait til one of these idiots tries this with a concealed carry person. "911 what is your emergency?, the muth trucker I was tryin to rob shot me"...

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

According to the story, the perp had his gun drawn and pointed at the victim. In that situation, pulling out a concealed weapon and attempting to shoot them would very likely get you shot before you ever got the weapon unholstered.

But internet bravado is fun, though, isn't it?

skinny 3 years, 7 months ago

It's no wonder the LJWorld is going under!

esj2003 3 years, 7 months ago

Sorry Richie, I don't think you know anything about the LJ. It's doing quite well. You can view its trophy case for documentation if you'd like.

kseagle 3 years, 7 months ago

trophy's don't make a newspaper!! neither does LJWorld....

he_who_knows_all 3 years, 7 months ago

And yet you keep reading the on line edition and posting negative comments. If I was the LJWorld I'd be suspending your account after this comment you made.

cozy 3 years, 7 months ago

"The Topeka Capital had this story up on their web page all morning (5 hours ago) with a full description of the suspect."

Steve Miller 3 years, 7 months ago

Yep and he was probably 5 foot ten and had a black hoodie on ....

cabella 3 years, 7 months ago

You can`t say "black" when describing a human suspect.

Steve Miller 3 years, 7 months ago

OonlyBonly 3 years, 7 months ago

You can if you're referring to the color of clothing.....

Haiku 3 years, 7 months ago

Robbing a student? Wow, what a payday! You stole a week of Ramen.

cowboy 3 years, 7 months ago

Can anyone from the LJW inform us why you refuse to report the news ? Why does the Capital Journal consistently have the complete story as released by law enforcement. WTF

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 years, 7 months ago

Can't help but notice the seemingly intentional exclusion of the suspects race. It seems like a fairly important detail when looking for someone who is clearly dangerous. I don't care if he's black, white, pink, purple, or polka-dotted, he's dangerous. Give us the full description no matter how "PC" it is. Otherwise your only doing half your job.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 7 months ago

We don't have a full description. If we did, we'd list it. All we have is his race and height. That applies to thousands of people in Lawrence alone. We don't help anyone, but actually hurt many, but providing that description.

skinny 3 years, 7 months ago

Jonathan, Is that why you won't print suspect information unless they've been charged with a crime, unless it is a public Official, Sports figure, Fireman ect...??

You can't sell any newspapers that way. Especially when we can read the whole story including a full description and those arrested in the Topeka Capital or KCstar five hours earlier!!!

The KCStar and Topeka Capital get the same news releases from Law Enforcement as you guys get!

Like I said earlier, it’s no wonder your paper is going under! You don’t print the local news, court news, motor vehicle accidents, notice to appears, or arrest logs!

BlackVelvet 3 years, 7 months ago

move back to Topeka Skinny. You apparently don't like it here!

JustNoticed 3 years, 7 months ago

"That applies to thousands of people in Lawrence alone. We don't help anyone, but actually hurt many, but (sic) providing that description." Now that is actually a good explanation of an LJW policy.

cowboy 3 years, 7 months ago

With all due respect Jonathan , your explanation is absolutely weak. The simple reporting of facts as released by law enforcement spokesmen is the minimum that should be reported. Why does the LJW constantly edit this information? The facts are what they are and should be reported as such. You are underestimating the public these days.

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 years, 7 months ago

Picking and choosing your own version of a statement released to the public by law enforcement is irresponsible journalism, plain and simple. I believe Lawrence is an intelligent enough community that providing a description of a dangerous felon isn't going to send anyone on a wild witch hunt. Apparently, folks in Topeka are more capable of handling facts than those panicky Lawrencians... Give us the benefit of the doubt, we are capable of handling the truth, even if you aren't.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 7 months ago

Tell me what the description would enable you to do...

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 years, 7 months ago

If I lived near the 300t block of 12th street and saw an individual matching the description, I would want to notify police. 6 foot tall and wearing a coat and stocking cap fits a pretty broad range of people at the end of December. At least a dozen that I could see walking into any big box store at any given moment. Way to narrow it down there. There is a reason that the police department description went into further detail saying the suspect was a young black man. Because he was. It's a significantly important part of the description the LJWorld chose to intentionally omit. I can search a half dozen articles previously published by the LJWorld that DO list a suspects race. The more you tip toe around this, the bigger the hole you are digging yourself. It should have been part of the original description, as it should always, no matter what the description or the race. The police released the description of the suspect they wanted help locating, the LJWorld in a fit of journalistic divinity felt it necessary to alter that description. Something less than the entire truth is a lie. You lied. Journalists shouldn't lie.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 7 months ago

We include race when it's part of a detailed description that can help people identify a suspect. If we have a description that includes a person's height, weight, hair color, eye color, clothing, race, tattoos, or other distinguishable remarks, we'll include all the information we have.

But to presume that just knowing a person's race will suddenly make a description that much more valuable, I think, is inaccurate. All we do is cast suspicion on an entire race of people.

I'm 100 percent comfortable with the decision we made and I don't see any reason to do it any differently in the future.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 7 months ago

Further, I don't know exactly what you would tell police. I saw a 6-foot black man on the corner? There are hundreds if not thousands of those in the city. To be actionable, the description has to be more detailed, otherwise all we're promoting is well-intentioned members of the public calling the cops on every black man they see. And that is absolutely unhelpful. Indeed, it's vastly more harmful to members of our community than it's helpful to anyone.

das 3 years, 7 months ago

"...Could someone , somehow put GPS systems on the heads of the city commission so we can track their thinking?..."

OK......I like that one.....not even Google Maps can help us with that....

Chelsea Kapfer 3 years, 7 months ago

I listen to my police scanner for up-to-the minute news. But then again, I am a total geek.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 7 months ago

You are not alone, I have the app on my phone.

JackMcKee 3 years, 7 months ago

I just pulled up the scanner and there was something about a fight going on at 23rd and Louisiana between 25 people. I didn't catch it all, but that sounds like quite a scene!

DustyAcres 3 years, 7 months ago

Doesn't it say 300 block of West 12th. That would be west of Mass. not east. I don't think it is safe anywhere in this town anymore.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 7 months ago

In other news, a carbon-based biped did something.

geoismeo 3 years, 7 months ago

jkeling seems like such a smart and reasonable person but I think he is wrong this time.

cowboy 3 years, 7 months ago

It's quite simple , print the available facts , the truth , unvarnished , unedited , who , what , where , when.

Kontum1972 3 years, 7 months ago

CRIME RUNS RAMPANT IN TH METROPOLIS OF LAWRENCE..WHO WILL BE NEXT?

THE SEARCH FOR A "NEW CHIEF OF POLICE" CONTINUES...STAY TUNED 4 MORE...