Archive for Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Lawrence group hoping to help rescued pit bulls find new homes

December 29, 2010

Sixteen of 27 dogs rescued in October from a dog-fighting operation in Independence are ready for adoption — including several in Lawrence that are rested, tested and looking for homes for the new year.

The dogs, all of them pit bulls, are available for adoption by licensed rescue operators or regular folks looking for loyal canine companions.

Each animal has been temperament-tested through Game Dog Guardian, a Lawrence organization led by Anthony Barnett, who is a board member at the Lawrence Humane Society. The organization also plans to provide the dogs with training in general obedience skills.

“As far as physical things, the dogs look good,” said Midge Grinstead, executive director of the Humane Society. “One is very timid and fearful, and the others are coming along very well. …

“These dogs were used and abused. They’re great dogs. They make really loyal companions. It’s good to see them treated so well and (ready to) get a loving home.”

For more information about the animals or potential adoptions, contact the Humane Society at 843-6835, or Katie Barnett, president of the Kansas University chapter of the Animal Legal Defense Fund, at 832-8100 or katie@gamedogguardian.com.

Comments

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 3 months ago

And your credentials are ? And such truths you have vomited out. Explain, then, how 3/4 of the dogs seized from Michael Vick were rehabilitated and have been in their new homes for the past 3 years. Your last dealing with the Humane Society was when ? Do you know the procedures for being able to adopt a "bully" breed dog from there today ? It sounds to me like you are the who needs to work on a fear issue. Pit bulls are no more prone to bite than any other terrier breed dog. It is just that despicable individuals have taken them for illegal and inhumane purposes and they will, after being treated in such a manner, be aggressive. I think you would too.

BrianR 4 years, 3 months ago

One thing to keep in mind, PBG, experience doesn't equal competence.

Loretta James 4 years, 3 months ago

everyone leaves out german shepards, Rotts, dobermans, all dogs can and will bite, quit blaming it all on pit bulls. Thats how they got the name as a mean dog a few dog bites and everyone runs it into the ground.

chocolateplease 4 years, 3 months ago

Nobody is blaming the dogs here; they were abused and it is very sad. But having concern for the safety of others has a lot of merit under these circumstances, don't you think, grandma? I'm no dog expert, but I have to question how a dog like this would react under stress in someone's home. What if children are around? I have to assume that the Humane Society is doing its' research on this one, and I do wonder how much in time and resources it will take to figure out the best course with these poor dogs. Maybe with special (and rigidly adhered to!) criteria, some people would be sucessful with them in their homes.

mccgirl80 4 years, 3 months ago

I would like to thank Game Dog Guardian and the Lawrence Humane Society for helping these dogs find new homes. I am sure these dogs have had a rough life and could use some love. As someone who has adopted a former fighting dog, I can speak to how wonderful these dogs can be. I get complements time and time again to how well behaved my dog is. Most are shocked to discover he was a former fighter. He really is the best dog I have ever had.

It is shameful that people advocate putting these dogs down. Even as a former fighter, my dog has not shown one bit of aggression to myself, my family, or anyone else for that matter. I am not so naive to think that every dog can be saved. Some dogs are abused to the point they would not make good pets. However, I would still advocate them living out their lives in an animal sanctuary such as Best Friends in Utah before I would see them put down.

For those of you out there considering adopting a dog, please do your research, but don't overlook these wonderful compainions.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 3 months ago

Not what ksrush is saying. He/she/it is saying that all of the pit bulls rescued from fighting operations will eventually attack again because they cannot be rehabilitated. This is not true. Again, 3/4 of the dogs rescued from Michael Vick's operation were treated, rehabilitated and placed into permanent homes. They are all doing fine.

All 3 of my grandchildren were raised in a home with a pit. I have a pit. My daughter has a pit. I take my pit to the dog park where she has been bitten by a standard size poodle and a boxer. She did not retaliate either time. As far as the Humane Society "doing it's research on this one" goes...this is not news. The shelter regularly receives dogs from illegal operations and utilizes the services of Mr. Barnett to help assess the dogs for aggression and potential rehabilitation. He is more than qualified and does a fantastic job. He has also rescued dogs and placed them into good homes himself and personally owns a dog that was mutilated and nursed back to health. That "non-rehabilitable" animal is a very lovable and successful therapy dog.

My credentials ? I work regularly with an out of town shelter, specifically with their "bully" breeds, and have been able to assist in the placement of quite a few pits, staffies and mixes. I know enough about pit bulls and staffies to realize that a little compassion goes a long way. I know that comments made in general about a specific breed of dog is profiling which is akin to racism. I know that education and factual information is helping a lot of these dogs to achieve forever families in spite of the blatent ignorance that remains prevalent where they are concerned. And I know that my dog was being trained to fight...to pull weights and endure withholding of food and be subjected to discipline not deserved. I took her away from that and she has never showed a sign of anything other than love, respect and gratitude.

Loretta James 4 years, 3 months ago

you said any abused dog should be put down what a loose statement I was abused should i be put down to.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 3 months ago

"Those dogs should be put down. Any animal raised and trained to fight or " used and abused" is a time bomb waiting to go off." You said it ksrush. I would rather have my "issues" as a responsible pit bull owner than those of someone like you who seems to try to prove themselves as a dog trainer when in actuality you seem to be nothing more than a wannabe. Thank God you don't like pits...none would ever be trained or rehabilitated.

frank mcguinness 4 years, 3 months ago

ksrush is just doing what he does, spewing nonsense. Dogs regardless of breed can be rehabilitated just like humans of anything else.

First and foremost. Fighting dogs are animals that will be put down if they show any agression to the handler. They are agressive as all get out, but they are agressive to other dogs, not humans. Read some history before you show your ignorance.

The pitbull was the first dog ever recorded in history to be culled/killed if they were agressive the the handler. You can't have a fighter that would tear up his own master. This is clearly documented. I.E. FACTUAL.

So to put it into layman terms these dogs are almost never human agressive unless some gangster wanted them to be human agressive to protect the home. Not Fighting dogs though.

KSRUSH you claim you have worked with 500+ dogs for the sheriffs department right? Well sheriffs dogs are not trained to fight other dogs but to bite a human appendage if they flee. A dog fighter would not train their dogs to bite a human. So your experience is moot.

I completely support the rehabilitation of these dogs and most certainly support the rehabilitation of ksrush.

frank mcguinness 4 years, 3 months ago

Well I can clairify since you are unable to comprehend simple statements.

Sheriffs dogs are trained to bite humans. Easy enough.

Fighting dogs are trained to bite dogs. Easy enough.

Fighting dogs are killed if they show human agression. Easy enough.

Your experience with 500+ dogs has no relevance to a dog that wouldn't bite a human in the first place. Easy enough.

I can dumb it down further if needed.

Spanish maybe?

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't get it, is Spanish dumb? Or am I dumb for asking that? Help!