Archive for Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Heard on the Hill: Twitter accounts abound at KU; ‘KU’ once upon a time was ‘KSU’; Ken Starr praised for performance at Pepperdine

December 29, 2010

Your daily dose of news, notes and links from around Kansas University.

• All across the KU campus, there’s not just a whole lot of learning going on, there’s also a whole lot of tweeting. I’m certainly no Twitter maven, but I do find myself getting a lot of useful information (and some high-quality entertainment) from the service, particularly from the KU entities that use it. So here’s a short list of some recommendations of where you can pick up information, 140 characters at a time. … You should follow me, too, of course @LJW_KU.

— KU Info: @KUInfo. The number to KU’s question-and-answer service is still in my cell phone from when I was a student. And their twitter feed isn’t bad, either. In addition to answering questions, they’ll usually come up with something I didn’t know.

Sample tweet on Dec. 6: “The dental school at Pitt used the Rock Chalk chant for over 50 years. It went like this: "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, go Pitt Dental!!" No joke!”

— There’s a whole variety of KU athletes using the service, including everyone from Brady Morningstar to Gale Sayers. If sports are your thing, they can provide a sometimes interesting (and sometimes incomprehensible) inside look into what’s going on with the team.

Sample tweet: from Brady Morningstar on Nov. 25: “thanksgiving meal at 2:30 with the fellas..it ain't my mommas cooking but it's still gonna be good..check yourself before u wreck yourself”

— The Hilltop Child Care Center: @HilltopCDC. This twitter account got my eye after they tweeted minutes after a nearby fire was reported at Anschutz Sports Pavilion. The fire turned out to be a dud, but parents were informed early.

Sample tweet on Nov. 23: “PARENTS: Hilltop children are OK! Fire is next door, but we have spoken with the fire department! Everything is safe here!”

— FakeJoeDooley: @FakeJoeDooley. I also enjoy the wide array of fake Twitter accounts out there, but this one that imagines what assistant basketball coach Joe Dooley might be thinking all day is one of my favorites.

Sample tweet on Tuesday: “So just found out we are playing the Texas Arlingtons tomorrow...which begs the obvious question: What kind of mascot is an ‘Arlington?’”

— KUNews: @KUNews. A general compilation of news items created by KU’s university communications department. It features lots of happy stories about old KU, but also timely information on campus-wide alerts and other random bits of information.

Sample tweet on Dec. 6: “ALERT: Authorities are evacuating Malott Hall due to a reported chemical spill. Stay away from the area. Updates: http://alert.ku.edu”

There are many more I could list here, too. But I'll leave that to others. Which KU Twitter accounts do you recommend?

• The old “University of Kansas” vs. “Kansas University” issue stirred up a few comments, mostly old stuff I’d heard before.

One reader suggested I look up how KU was chartered by the state Legislature back in the 1860s.

“I think you’ll find the school chartered as ‘The University of Kansas,’” he wrote.

Another reader said he lived in the old house where the Rock Chalk Chant originated, and pointed out that it was originally “Rah, rah Jayhawk, KSU!” back when the university was known first and occasionally as “Kansas State University.”

From the brief research I’ve been able to conduct online, however, it looks like the first tipster is correct. Even though KU was occasionally known as Kansas State University, it has always been called “The University of Kansas” Anyone else have other information that proves me wrong?

• One interesting part of an otherwise interesting profile on Baylor University President Ken Starr in the Dallas Morning News recently was his performance as Pepperdine University’s Dean of Law.

Starr, though he came to Baylor with some political baggage, had performed admirably as the dean, raising the school’s profile in the U.S. News and World Report rankings from 99th to 52nd from 2004 to 2010.

“No other law school has come close to moving that far that fast,” a vice dean told the newspaper.

That’ll be interesting for the next dean to follow. And of course, that still could be Judge Deanell Reece Tacha, of Lawrence, who is one of five announced finalists for the job.

Starr and Baylor also have some interesting ideas about how to ensure high-quality academic standards without following the secular path many of the school’s predecessors did.

• I can’t imagine ever calling that university on top of Mount Oread “KSU.” Send me other names for KU, or any other tips for Heard on the Hill to ahyland@ljworld.com.

Comments

FarneyMac 3 years, 11 months ago

Just be honest - everyone knows the LJW mandates "Kansas University" because the Simons clan has an axe to grind, and this is their passive-aggressive way of "sticking it" to KU.

blindrabbit 3 years, 11 months ago

Ken Starr are you kidding me, what a worm. Regardless of what you think about Willie Clinton, Starr was the worse of the two. Kinda like a chigger you can't get rid of in the summer; more annoying than serious. Spent a fortune getting at Clinton due to a political vendetta prodded along by 41 and his inferiority. How Starr ended up at Pepperdine in Malibu; what a waste for a great beach town.

guess_again 3 years, 11 months ago

What is really sad is that Starr actually thinks going from 99th to 52nd in a US News and Reports ranking is something meaningful.

Sparko 3 years, 11 months ago

To put the Pepperdine rise in the rankings in context--which a newspaper should do--one should note that conservative dominated the criteria by which law schools were judged during the period in question. Remember the Rove scandal when they found that a number of high Justice Department positions had been filled by a quasi legal school?--the horrible Regent Law School. This is the same dilution of meaning and context that Bush II's "Best-seller" is judged by. Just because conservatives launder money from corporations to spike sales and ratings and play like these lists mean something in 2010, almost 2011, doesn't mean they do and it doesn't mean the LJW should parrot their declarations of vitality. Sad.

Barbara Emert 3 years, 11 months ago

I have an official looking photograph of the campus that was copywrighted in 1908 and it's entitled "Kansas State University".

Jessica Schilling 3 years, 11 months ago

By the way: If anyone's looking for KU-related Twitter accounts, we maintain a list here: http://twitter.com/WorldCoSocial/ku Please send @WorldCoSocial a message if there's anything we've left out!

anonyname 3 years, 11 months ago

KU's University Style Guide (http://www.styleguide.ku.edu/) lists "Kansas, University of. Not Kansas University. On second reference, KU or the university. KU is acceptable on first reference for campus publications."

The official seal of the university has Universitatis Kansiensis, not the reverse. http://www.ku.edu/about/traditions/seal.shtml

An article excerpted on the State Library of Kansas website mentions that "Free-State College" was one of the names backers were promoting. http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/u/university_of_kansas.html

The Library of Congress has some pictures from 1908 and 1913 which were erroneously labeled as Kansas State University. http://www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?fi=subject&q=United%20States--Kansas--Lawrence.

Clincher: The university catalogue for the 1895-96 school year directly quotes the 1864 state charter: "section 1. There shall be established in this state, at or near the city of Lawrence, in the county of Douglas, on the grounds secured for that purpose pursuant to the act entitled 'An act to locate the State University,' passed February 20, 1863, an institution of learning, under the name of The University Of Kansas." http://books.google.com/books?id=g5DOAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA5-PA4&lpg=RA5-PA4&dq=%22University+of+Kansas%22+%22March+1,+1864%22&source=bl&ots=WafTx2eewk&sig=W53rW2IdYCRv8bNUVgsXK-3ETGU&hl=en&ei=doQbTbmvJJOjnQfO96jqDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFUQ6AEwCTgK#v=onepage&q=%22University%20of%20Kansas%22%20%22March%201%2C%201864%22&f=false

JackMcKee 3 years, 11 months ago

What happened to the post about the yearbooks? There was nothing offensive in that? I also happen to agree with what that person had to say.

JackMcKee 3 years, 11 months ago

It certainly makes me think that this newspaper is hiding something.

JackMcKee 3 years, 11 months ago

To summarize, someone said they had yearbooks from the early 1900s and that those yearbooks used University of Kansas. He then requested an explanation for the reason the newspaper doesn't use the name that KU says is correct. He said it far better than me, but that's basically what was removed. As a matter of fact, I can't even find him/her anymore. It like the online editor/newspaper just deleted the person from existence. Must have really touched a nerve.

ahyland 3 years, 11 months ago

Jack,

For what it's worth, I agree, and thought the person's point was valid, and I'm glad you brought it up again.

I also must say, I don't know anything about the decision to remove him/her/it, but it could be tied to something else that person did on the site. And — while I don't recall anything particularly vile about the comment offhand — it's possible that the person used a magic word or two and I just forgot.

One of the things I enjoy most about this blog is its ability to spark a good discussion, and I'm certainly not hoping to quash any dissent or people who disagree with me just because it might make me feel bad or anything. You'll note quite a few people's comments who disagree are still around, and for that, I'm glad.

Andy Hyland