Archive for Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Amarr Garage Doors lays off 19 employees in Lawrence, citing seasonal downturn

December 28, 2010

Amarr Garage Doors laid off 19 manufacturing employees this week in Lawrence, citing a seasonal downturn in residential and commercial construction nationwide.

The layoffs affected full-time workers on all three shifts at the manufacturing plant at the southeastern edge of Lawrence, at 3800 Greenway Circle in the East Hills Business Park. Most of the affected employees learned of the layoffs Tuesday, but some had been notified late Monday.

“Obviously, we’re tied to the construction market, and the construction sector,” said Delbert Phlipot, vice president for manufacturing at Amarr, which is based in Winston-Salem, N.C. “Construction usually slows in the winter months.”

The company still has about 480 employees working at the 411,000-square-foot plant, which produces garage doors that are sold through more than 3,000 independent dealers and some major retailers, including Costco and — under private labels — Sears and Lowe’s Home Improvement Centers.

The company also made a handful of seasonal layoffs at a smaller manufacturing center in Mocksville, N.C., Phlipot said.

“We don’t anticipate any future reductions,” said Scott Carpenter, an Amarr spokesman.

Affected workers have not been offered severance packages or outplacement services, Phlipot said, although there could be potential for rehiring some displaced workers when and if construction activity picks back up.

Comments

deec 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes heaven forfend laborers use their first amendment rights to discuss actual working conditions at taxpayer-subsidized jobs. Wouldn't want to hurt the poor corporation's feelings.

thefactsare 3 years, 3 months ago

Why would any company, either in Lawrence or looking to move to Lawrence ever want to do that after reading the horrible comments that are posted on every business section blog? Company owners would not want to be subjected to this type of treatment and I don't blame them for choosing communities that are more welcoming and friendly!

amesn 3 years, 3 months ago

My husband started working at Amarr a few weeks ago but was hired on through Aerotech...he is hoping they will eventually bring him on full time and after reading this article last night we are hopeful that this may come true since he made it through Monday and Tuesday without being laid off, THEN we came to the comments section....I know there is definately some truth to what people have been posting because he has experienced it first hand, but after struggling for the past 9 months to find full time employment after he was laid off by a local booze delivery company, we are truly thankful he has a paycheck. I am a nurse so in my field jobs are easy to come by, but his expertise lies with having a commercial driver's license. Of course there was always the option for him to go OTR trucking but we have 3 small children that would miss their daddy very much. Although having a stay at home dad who is domestically inclined was a very sweet deal for me the past few months, the extra income he is now bringing home is much appreciated!

budwhysir 3 years, 3 months ago

I think this weather we are having is just horrible....

JackMcKee 3 years, 3 months ago

and for you lucky Amarr employees, your Christmas bonus is...Your Fired!!!!!

Merry Christmas!!!! And Happy New Year!!!!

KUFREAKYGIRL 3 years, 3 months ago

I will be first to say how Amarr work's! They DO treat their employee's like crap! My Mom used to work there, she worked there for 11 year's with perfect attendance. She ran one of the press machines, and she did a hell of a job! Never complained, did what she was supposed to do. She loved her job, and loved the people she worked with. But as time went on, so did the hours. She would work 12 hours a day, 6 day's a week, because business was booming. These employees had to do that for month's on end, and in the summer time. No AC, no additional breaks for when it got to hot in there. I also know the Owner, seems like a nice guy, and I am not to sure if he is aware of all that is really going on there! My Mom asked so many times to be removed off the press because the pain of pivoting 8-12,000 times a day was getting to her, they never would take her off of it because she ran the press real good. And because of that reason, she had to have knee surgery, and she was brought back to light duty, put her in Hardware, and was escorted out of the building because, they didnt have anything for her to do that was "Light Duty"! So Thank's Amarr for putting my Mom through Hell in the last 2 years and droping her Insurance for YOUR Mistake!

rhd99 3 years, 3 months ago

Losing a job in this economy SUCKS! I've heard the tiresome cliche of "it's better to be laid off than fired" many times. I was laid off. Unlike Amarr (please understand I never worked for them), my former employer was good to me during my almost 10 years with them. Great pay and benefits. The problem was that it was tied to the government. When the government had nothing more, that was it. So, if anyone reading this thinks I am totally insensitive to the people losing their jobs at Amarr, I know what it's like. I hold NO grudges against my former employer because the job was completed. For anyone associated with Amarr, however, I wish them nothing but the best and hope they can find a brighter future.

weluvbowling 3 years, 3 months ago

Hmmmm...imagine that! Why am I not surprised? Oh, wait, that's because my husband worked there for 5 years. Poor management and mistreatment of employees (like ripping away benefits from hourly employees each week) tends to make for a bad workplace. I definitely agree that with the tax abatements that they continue to receive they should be checked out thoroughly.

And as far as moving their production to Mexico??? Are you a freaking moron? If anything the owner would go down to one production facility and that would probably be right there in NC where he could keep a close on it. SHEESH! Some people! rolls eyes

obamarocks 3 years, 3 months ago

No rumor, honest! They are moving their manufacturing to mexico, too expensive here, I guess. The lady I talked to was already looking for a new job. They are only planning on giving the hourly employees a few days notice. I don't personally work there, just wait until this summer...

jafs 3 years, 3 months ago

All companies getting tax abatements should be required to live up to their end of the deal.

Any elected officials who won't do that should be replaced with others who will.

nowthetruth 3 years, 3 months ago

Obamarocks-your Obama does not rock! Stop the rumoring..... no way it would close.

Kontum1972 3 years, 3 months ago

isnt Amarr an Al Quieda name?

obamarocks 3 years, 3 months ago

I heard from one of the higher ups that that place is closing its doors for good around may or june. So good luck to almost 500 people looking for a job in lawrence this summer. It took me almost 2 years to find my job!

rlsd 3 years, 3 months ago

I too worked there for a short time and it is a awful place to work. Pays decent for Lawrence but that doesn't say much. Everyone I knew there is now gone, so I don't think I am the only one.

edjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Hello. This is the trend for every corporation today and won't change. They treat each real worker like they are a commodity and nothing more. They also use "corporate responsibility" only as a marketing tool and because everyone else is doing it. They really don't care about the environment or true community service.

commuter 3 years, 3 months ago

Once again, for you all you know it alls, if you know how to do it better tell management or start your own business. It is time for people top start taking control of their own carrers but that might not work here because too many people want the governme nt to take care of them.

nowthetruth 3 years, 3 months ago

Here is the thing about Amarr. They do this every year... does that make it right, no! But, employees should expect this by now. The real problem is the leaders are idiots. They don't think beyond 30 days out. They don't understand how impactful their lack of insight really is, because they are pulling down the big dollars and don't feel the pain. I worked at Amarr, not for 8 years, but for a long enough period to have been involved in these discussions. I know the strategy and I know the people making the decisions. Not once have they ever considered what they are doing to people. They have lost the majority of leaders that I respected, so the decisions are being made by the 'leftover leaders" who don't give a hoot.....

bluefirebird 3 years, 3 months ago

*I worked at Amarr for 3 months.

bluefirebird 3 years, 3 months ago

I worked at smart for about 3 months until I got a better job. Amarr wasn't a bad place to work. When I worked there they gave new employees up to $100 to buy steel toe boots and they paid employees weekly.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 3 months ago

Jobs that require seasonal workers is nothing new. I'm sure sorry this had to happen, and I know the struggles the families will now have to go through. However, blaming a business for being a business is missing the point.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

sierraclub 3 years, 3 months ago

It seems like you experts on here should start your own business!!! The 'know it alls' seem to know it all.

catfishturkeyhunter 3 years, 3 months ago

Its a pretty crappy thing to do durring the hollidays. Ottawa Truck/Kalmar does the same thing. They get busy and hire a bunch of people forcing them to work overtime to get caught up then punt them when things get a little slow. These companies got no sense of controling work flow and pacing themselves. Made good money a year ago, but now everyones starving to death cause there isn't any work

butrflkisz 3 years, 3 months ago

you stayed for 8 yrs it obviously wasn't that bad and a job is a job in this economy and the lay off could have been much worse

geoismeo 3 years, 3 months ago

I worked there for 8 years and Amarr is a lousy place to work. They work thier employees to death during the busy season and fire them when there is a slow down They care nothing about thier employees. I'm surprised they still find people willing to work there.

edjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes time to put the hammer down. I'm tired of businesses milking Lawrence for all they can.

clovis_sangrail 3 years, 3 months ago

This company has received tax abatements for several years, and I believe I saw in the 2009 tax abatement report that Amarr had requested additional property tax relief effective Jan 1, 2010.

Might I suggest that rather than regurgitating Amarr's press release, perhaps the Journal World would care to send its team of crack investigative reporters look into Amarr's tax abatements and see if Amarr is in compliance with the provisions.

I'll give you a couple of places to start --