Archive for Saturday, December 25, 2010

Man suffers serious injuries in rollover accident on Clinton Parkway

One person was taken by a LifeStar helicopter to a Kansas City area hospital after being injured in a rollover accident. The accident occurred Saturday evening on Clinton Parkway.

December 25, 2010, 10:46 p.m. Updated December 26, 2010, 7:19 a.m.

Google Map

Rollover accident on Clinton Parkway

View Rollover injury accident in a larger map

A man was transported by LifeStar air ambulance to a Topeka area hospital after a single-vehicle rollover accident on Clinton Parkway.

According to Douglas County emergency dispatchers, the accident occurred about 9:30 p.m. near the intersection of Clinton Parkway and Lake Pointe Drive. Police and medical crews responded to the scene and blocked off a portion of Clinton Parkway from Wakarusa Drive to the roundabout, where the accident occurred.

The vehicle flipped over the small brick wall in the center of the roundabout and came to rest on its roof.

The patient was transported by ground ambulance to the softball fields at the YSI Youth Sports Complex off of K-10, where a Lifestar helicopter was waiting. The patient was reported to have suffered serious injuries in the accident.

Police Sergeant Kirk Fultz said the patient is believed to be a Topeka man. Fultz said information about the patient's condition and accident circumstances were not yet available.

Check back at for more information as it becomes available.

BigPrune 4 years, 11 months ago

......roundabouts are supposed to be safer, supposedly.

Don Whiteley 4 years, 11 months ago

Traffic Circles may be statistically safer in town. But out here in the country at a no name, no traffic intersection where NOBODY expects to find one, absolutely not!!! This particular circle is a DEATH TRAP.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

"NOBODY expects to find one,"

Isn't there a sign indicating that one is ahead? Several other posters have claimed that there was, and in every other case I can recall there was.

I haven't been through that particular roundabout, but I've certainly never had any problems with the ones I have encountered. But, then, I'm a very careful and observant driver.

average 4 years, 11 months ago

Statistics are the first step toward socialism, you know.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

Because the requirements for getting a driver's license in Kansas are not strict at all. For instance, you would be amazed at how many DUIs you can get and still have a valid license. I personally know a man who's had 7 or 8, and he's still legally driving. But, he's on a "hardship exception".

oneflewover 4 years, 11 months ago

Why do people find this particular spot so difficult?

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

that's easy, just try driving this stretch at night...and pretend you have never driven it before. Whether you are on the K-10 bypass (simons-get rich quick property easement buy out scam) OR driving on Clinton parkway; the roads converge WAY too close to each other. The Roundabout has exacerbated the problem, what with headlights cirlcing around wildly-imagine driving 65 mph westbound on the K-10 bypass (multi-million dollar property get rich quick scam: just buy a few strips of farmland and throw a junked out mobile home on them and wham-o! "resident property" which multiplies the buyout offer by 10 times per square mile-neat, huh?) and you suddenly see a pair of headlights swerve directly at you, then they swerve across your path-kinda like a drunk outta control. What do you do? hit the brakes? swerve yourself? Slow down? stare off to the right and try to figure out what is going on? It is incredibly distracting-and dangerous...Maybe this guy didn't see the roundabout, maybe he was distracted by watching a pair of headlights come off the bypass at high speed and wondering if he was in the wrong lane or something? Try it tonight. you will see for yourself. Then try it during any kind of rain fall, and you will wonder that there aren't more wrecks than there are. Hopefully-someone will see the danger and at least get rid of the stupid and very undersized roundabout.

Kris_H 4 years, 11 months ago

The first time I came upon this roundabout with no knowledge it was there, it was night, and I didn't have any trouble negotiating it, any more so than I do any other roundabout. I think there is a sign before it warning that there is a roundabout ahead, right? I was paying attention, not speeding, not talking on the cell phone or texting, and not enjoying the effects of any intoxicating substance. Not saying this poor guy was, just saying.

I'm not sure why people hate roundabouts so much. I think they're very much more efficient at keeping traffic moving than traffic lights or stop signs are. The only one I do question, though, is the one coming onto the turnpike from the West Lawrence interchange. That one, I wish they hadn't done. Just something about having to get up to turnpike speed right after coming out of it, with no real lane to do that in...not so good.

outtatowntownie 4 years, 11 months ago

One issue that I have with roundabouts is that it is not intuitive to American drivers. In every other intersection, we're supposed to yield to the car on the right; in the roundabout we yield to the left. It's kind of hard for some to wrap their heads around the concept... they feel like they're doing something wrong, because they've been taught the opposite their entire lives. People will get used to it, but there's bound to be a learning curve.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

You yield to the left just about every time you are entering an Interstate. Ever notice that?

kusp8 4 years, 11 months ago

I think you forgot an F in here somewhere... "Police and medical crews responded to the scene and block of a portion of Clinton Parkway from Wakarusa Drive to the roundabout, where the accident occurred."

Shouldn't it be ..."responded to the scene and block o f f a portion of..."?

jpreiner 4 years, 11 months ago

Missed an ED and an F. Both are fixed. Video will also be posted shortly.

Joe Preiner Reporter/Web Producer Lawrence Journal-World

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

well KUSP8, I saw that, and realized it could read either way. they meant "off" as the "block off to keep out traffic" but maybe could also be "block of" as referring to range of street addresses.

can we start putting the little roadside memorials inside this roundy? I think this is at least the number four car that this roundy has victimized.

free lawrence cars from the oppression and terror of roundabouts!

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

Has anyone actually been killed there? Until that happens, I think that monuments are out of place. I've never seen a monument for a wrecked car, not even for a Rolls Royce. Of course, I'm sure you were joking, anyway!

And, we can't put little roadside monuments whereever anyone has been killed, because the roads would then be littered with them. We just accept death on the road as a fact of life, because for us, it is.

Perhaps roundabouts are a way of weeding out drivers who really shouldn't be driving anyway. One thing is for sure, and that is with a roundabout fault is very easy to determine within a matter of seconds unlike with stop lights, unmarked interchanges, and four way stops where you never really know.

gsxr600 4 years, 11 months ago

I thought roundabouts were put in place for evasive driving maneuver practice?!?!

Maybe I'm mistaken

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

No, you are right. The game is called 'Dodge the Texter'.

kef104 4 years, 11 months ago

This roundabout is too small and needed to remain 2 lanes. There has been at least one fatality there and several critical injuries. At some point I can see an attorney looking at its history prior to the roundabout and then suing the city for making the intersection worse.

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

and the property developers who built that abortion....don't forget them-they designed it and paid for it!

skinny 4 years, 11 months ago

I agree with kef104, the roundabout is too small and need to be two lanes for a 45 mile an hour speed limit.

chargeit 4 years, 11 months ago

It was my understanding, the round about was a choice of the developer of that subdivision. The developer had to put a traffic control mechanism in place as part of the plan. I am sure there was a traffic survey done and the developer pandered the traffic dept and council to put in as cost effective mechanism as possible when what really should have been done was widen the few hundred yards between the end of the Parkway and K-10 to four lanes.
Developer money talks, reason walks.

FreshAirFanatic 4 years, 11 months ago

and maybe we should be thankful the roundabout was there. If he was driving reckless enough to flip his car over the wall, then without the roundabout, it could have just as easily been a head-on with a family driving home from Christmas at Grandmas. That would have been much more tragic.

brewmaster 4 years, 11 months ago

Hey Red, Are you the developer or related to him?

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

exactly...poor spelling, no grammar, bully-type rant, assuming way too much, calling everyone an idiot.....yep it checks out, this Red_Devil is clearly more clever and a better person than the rest of us. She must be a developer.

Kris_H 4 years, 11 months ago

That would be the KDOR, not the KDOT, giving out the DLs. Minor correction to the rant. :)

Sharon Aikins 4 years, 11 months ago

The original intent of roundabouts and the reason Lawrence has chosen to use them are two very separate things.

BigPrune 4 years, 11 months ago

I enjoy looking at the bicycle roundabout on the William Tell "heroin addict" Burroughs bike path in east Lawrence that nobody uses. Clinton Parkway used to be 4 lanes all the way to the Clinton Lake dam road, then a Super 2 Lane was put in for the K-10 bypass (though it was originally slated as a 4 lane bypass but that road go tied up in frivolous lawsuits (I know because I used to run out to Clinton Lake years ago along the then 4 lane Clinton Parkway - it even had a drinking fountain at the top of the hill they removed when they shrunk the road down to two lanes). The roundabout was a requirement by the City for the developer who paid for said roundabout, all approved by the City -for whomever blamed the developer. It cannot be navigated easily if you're pulling a boat. It was part of that roundabout bandwagon when roundabouts were in vogue. Look for access roads being required after the raised median divided highway fashion statement runs its course.

BigPrune 4 years, 11 months ago

Caesar_Augustus 4 years, 11 months ago

I "navigate" that section in my F150, pulling a 19 foot boat several times a week in the summer and have had no issues with the roundabout.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

You might have had no issues with it, but were you texting, listening to screaming kids in the back, eating french fries, lighting a cigarette, and changing stations on the radio at the time?

Sue McDaniel 4 years, 11 months ago

If roundabout's are so wonderful (AND expensive) why doesn't EVERYONE have them. Especially when you can just build them anywhere even if there is not room? The popularity will pass and they will spend lots of money ripping them out.......we are made of money you know!

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

we more roundabouts downtown....and little ones, they are so cute. we could have bums sitting in the middle of them panhandling-then they would leave the sidewalks alone! yeah!

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

"The popularity will pass"

Roundabouts have been around since 1909, when the first one was built in UK. And, that's the year the Ford Model T was introduced. It sure is taking a long time for their popularity to pass!

roundaboutlady 4 years, 11 months ago

I see crashes at that roundabout all the time that are mostly motorcycles that are going a little to fast and lose control. I think they should put a warning sign coming up the hill to slow way down.

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

how about a warning sign that sez:

"caution: undersized roundabout ahead. we apologize for the inconvenience, but the developer of these cheap and crappy apartments off to your north wanted a stop light of his very own to make it more enticing to rent out his junk-we, the city have ran out of stop lights and they are on back order for another 10 years because we used them all on 6th street-so for the time being we allowed said developer to build a roundabout instead; of course, because all developers work so hard and are always so poor, he couldn't afford a very large roundabout-so we let him by with all that he could afford-therefore without further delay, we present to you this four-lane squished into a remarkable single lane MINIBOUT! Please be careful that you don't run over yourself."

roundaboutlady 4 years, 11 months ago

The Lake view villas are not rentals and are not allowed to rent out. You must be talking about Garbers rentals on further west. Check your facts........ In the summer time the roundabout provides cheap entertainment watching the campers and boaters maneuvering around the roundabout.

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

"garbage rentals, further west" -and the access is via the roundabout, thanks for proving my point.

carry on.

Randall Uhrich 4 years, 11 months ago

I put the responsibility for this man's injuries exactly where it belongs: squarely on the shoulders of the commissioners who indulged the developers of the condos that this roundabout served. Not only is it stupid and ill-advised, not to mention costly, it's dangerous as this incident demonstrates. Add this to the time, aggravation, and expense of making a 2-1/2 mile detour necessary for the year that it took to construct it. Way to go, geniuses! It's also a major aggravation to use if going to the HWY10 bapass or Clinton Lake. The people towing boats just love it. There's a name for these decision-makers: it starts with A and ends in HOLES.

pizzapete 4 years, 11 months ago

I've got to wonder what this guys last text message says, maybe something like oh sh....

verity 4 years, 11 months ago

That roundabout is difficult even when you know it's there. At night, to a person who wasn't familiar with the road, I can certainly see them not even realizing it was there until it was too late.

That whole area is bad and more so at night because it isn't lit (at least it wasn't the last time I drove there). Infrequently I get off K-10 and make a left turn onto Clinton Parkway. In the dark I have almost driven onto the sidewalk rather than the street because you can't see anything until you are well into the turn. And no, I wasn't on the phone or texting---I was carefully paying attention to driving.

Kris_H 4 years, 11 months ago

There is a dark area there that could use some road lighting. Coming off the Clinton Lake property down into that low area, then trying to find K10 going west toward the Lecompton turnpike interchange...I've missed it more than once. I can see it OK in the daytime but not at night, even when I'm looking and more or less know where it is.

bad_dog 4 years, 11 months ago

Is there a difference? If so, what is it? Sounds redundant/verbose to me ;-)

bad_dog 4 years, 11 months ago

PS, regardless of the cause, hope the driver recovers fully (and has insurance...).

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years, 11 months ago

I hope he fully recovers from this accident. Sad that it happened on Christmas.

friendlyjhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

Sorry about the accident on that DUMB roundabout. See the grammar police got there as fast as the other law enforcement individuals did. What does the grammar police badge look like? Does it have a picture of a noisy jack*ss on it?

purplesage 4 years, 11 months ago

Firstly - I sincerely hope and pray the injured individual makes a full recovery and that he is not in agonizing pain as we debate the merits or demerits of round-abouts.

Now - I don't like them and all the "statistically safer" talk won't convince me. If that is a "don't confuse me with the facts" then, so be it. That one, out on the W. end of CP, has, as noted above, been hit before. And it is pretty tight. I can see what boaters don't like about it. And, basically unnecessary. I think Lawrence has put them all over just to be trendy, like Lawrence likes to be.

The worst one in town is probably out to the NW - I'm thinking Princeton and Lawrence Ave??? - in that vicinity. It is near, but not on the crest of a hill. Certain directions are blind to what is coming round the round-about.

Two best roundabout stories - some kids in Topeka who synchronized thier driving and went round and round the roundabout at 29th and Urish in Topeka for about an hour, jamming up traffic. I'm sure they got in trouble - but it was a good juvinile prank.

2 woiuld be the moving van stuck in one of the too tight roundabouts on Harvard.

gphawk89 4 years, 11 months ago

The guy was driving too fast for conditions, period. Whether the particular conditions in this case include good or poor lighting, warning signs or lack of warning signs, dry or wet or icy pavement, clear conditions or rain or fog, a well-designed or poorly-designed roundabout, good eyesight or bad, a fogged-over windshield, impaired by drugs or alcohol, texting, or whatever else. If you can't see and concentrate on the roadway far enough ahead of you to be able to avoid something unexpected, you're driving too fast for conditions. Quit blaming the conditions.

That being said, hope the guy makes a quick recovery. What an awful way to spend Christmas Day.

lazz 4 years, 11 months ago

I recall hearing that the clinton parkway roundabout was built there to discourage people towing boats from using 23rd/Clinton Parkway and instead taking the bypass, which supposedly explained why it's so narrow.

Ken Lassman 4 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone know where they can find accident records for intersections? JW Reporter??? Seems to me a little data might be useful as to the real record of reported accidents/injury accidents/fatalities at this intersection. Could sort out who is blowing off steam and who has a valid point. I suppose there's value in both, but I'm not really interested in listening to the howlers who don't appear to have any ears.

That aside, it seems to me that the main reason for roundabouts was to decrease the severity of accidents at 4 way intersections. If you T-bone someone running a stop sign, or getting T-boned yourself by the same idiot, chances of serious injury are much higher than they are at a roundabout. It DOES introduce a new risk, one where someone who is oblivious and speeding hitting the roundabout and rolling, like what happened here, but what do the numbers show?

I suppose at this kind of low-cross-traffic type of intersection, it might not hurt to put a rumble strip down to give the clueless a clue what's ahead. It would be increasing the annoyance level for the rest of us, but I suppose if it saved a life, it'd be worth it.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

Roundabouts are safer than both traffic circles and traditional junctions—having 40% fewer vehicle collisions, 80% fewer injuries and 90% fewer serious injuries and fatalities (according to a study[16] of a sampling of roundabouts in the United States, when compared with the junctions they replaced).

[16] # ^

Ken Lassman 4 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the great link. Any idea where to find the accident statistics on Lawrence roundabouts and for many, the statistics on the intersections that preceeded them?

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 11 months ago

Roundabouts are a nuisance. But, they aren't a hazard unless they are built like the ones being built in Lawrence. To build them with some "pretty brick and grass" in the center eliminates sight lines the center becomes very dangerous if hit. To have one in this location or the two within a stones throw (like on O'Connell) is stupidity.

The one on 19th and Connecticut causes near accidents daily. There cost too much to add all of the frills to them which also helps to cause the accidents.