Archive for Friday, December 24, 2010

NWS cancels winter weather advisory for Douglas County

Crews from the Lawrence Public Works department pretreat residential streets Dec. 23, 2010, before a line of projected freezing rain and snow moves through the area. Prediction are expected to be minor — about two inches — but with some ice mixed in and the major travel day on Dec. 24, the city wasn't taking any chances.

December 24, 2010, 12:00 a.m. Updated December 24, 2010, 12:04 p.m.

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

11:45 a.m. update According to the National Weather Service, the precipitation has ended for Douglas County, thus the winter weather advisory has been canceled.

Our earlier story:

The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for most of northeast Kansas, including Douglas County.

The advisory remains in effect until 3 p.m. today.

Freezing drizzle will develop this morning, eventually switching over to light snow. The light snow will persist until this evening when it will transition back to a light drizzle or freezing drizzle.

Light ice and snow accumulation could create slick roads and sidewalks, especially when untreated.

Total snow accumulations are expected to be around a dusting to one inch.

Megan Gilliland, city communications manager, said road crews are scheduled to work in two 12-hour shifts starting Thursday at noon and ending Friday at noon, but the roads won't be treated until it's clear as to what type of precipitation — snow or ice — Lawrence will receive.

"Crews are here," Gilliland said. "They're scheduled to work throughout the evening until the threat of winter weather has subsided."

On Friday afternoon, any slick spots will be treated as needed, Gilliland said.

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

RaynRavyn 3 years, 12 months ago

Yuck... Should snow christmas eve, melt off the 26th, and call it good. :)

riverdrifter 3 years, 12 months ago

Improved forecast over that of one year ago today...

feetup 3 years, 12 months ago

As long as we don't have a repeat of last years Christmas snow, I'm good!

conservative 3 years, 12 months ago

So why does the advisory start at midnight when the hourly forecasts show freezing drizzle starting at 8 tonight?

Matt Elwell 3 years, 12 months ago

Conservative, There are several factors on that. The latest models are keeping most of the frozen moisture out of our skies until we get closer to midnight when temps begin to fall. We may see some freezing drizzle fall at first, which should quickly drop out temperatures closer to the ground and quickly turn to sleet then snow.

It looks to me like we will remain on the lighter side of the 1-3" predictions, but some heavy bands of snow may push us closer to the upper limits. If you are traveling to the east toward Missouri or northeast to Iowa, you might run into more problems with higher accumulations.

Matt Elwell 6NEWS Chief Meteorologist

Gene Wallace 3 years, 11 months ago

For almost three years, there has been one additional factor, not included in any models, which has greatly reduced the amount of severe weather experienced by our city. Some people call it the "Lawrence Split". As Matt has told us, there is no terrain feature modifying the weather in Lawrence. The modifying factor, "A Factor", is not terrain and is not permanent. Last Winter, that factor was overwhelmed by another much greater force. I call it the "White Christmas Syndrome". This year, the White Christmas Syndrome is very weak. The A Factor is having it's usual effect.

Gene Wallace 3 years, 11 months ago

It's 10:00AM and there is No snow. CCG! (Cheshire Cat Grin)

Flap Doodle 3 years, 12 months ago

Put on your bike helmet and head for the basement!

Christine Anderson 3 years, 12 months ago

Uh oh...dear fellow posters. In the past, I have been guilty of "requesting" this type of weather. This time, I didn't do it-I swear!

mcmandy 3 years, 12 months ago

I am guilty :) Everything's prettier when its covered in snow and ice. I wish we had piles like Wisconsin has right now! FORTS!

BrianR 3 years, 12 months ago

mom_of_three 3 years, 12 months ago

When my kids were younger and there was a threat of weather, I used to go shopping and stock up so I wouldn't have to go out and get groceries during the storm. And of course, when I was 5 or 6, there was a big snow storm and we were snowed in for several days, I remember my dad walking several miles to the store with the neighbors because we were out of food. I didn't want that to happen to me or my kids.
So yes, sometimes people will go out and stock up to avoid any catastropes; I used to be one of them and sometimes I still am.

LadyWolf 3 years, 12 months ago

Misplacedcheesehead and Mcmandy, I'm with you. I love the snow...not so much the ice!! Hope it isn't treacherous driving. If people think while driving, even that can be fun, in SNOW, not ice. Happy snowtime to all!! Bring it on!

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 12 months ago

Many thanks to the hard-working road crews who will be giving up their time with family, eggnog and tamales to bring us safer driving conditions.

independent_rebel 3 years, 12 months ago

I agree raerae. Too bad ol' Wilbur enjoys knocking the city employees every chance he gets. As a local businessman I applaud the work the guys and gals do. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be out in this crud.

Twinkletrr 3 years, 12 months ago

Amen, they must go at a moments notice sometimes, despite holiday plans. Very gratefull for ya guys, without you we wouldnt be able to drive to the hospital to care for those in need. Big thanks to Kevin and his gang!

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 12 months ago

NWS of Topeka has downgradedt his storm significantly. There isn't going to be of a punch at all.

irvan moore 3 years, 12 months ago

don't worry, i've been outside a lot today, don't look (or feel like) like snow or freezing rain comming to me.

meggers 3 years, 12 months ago

Well, the roads aren't that bad, yet, as long as you take it slow. Be careful, though, it's hard to see the slick spots. ;)

budwhysir 3 years, 12 months ago

um may I have yer attention please. We are currently in the winter months here in Kansas. During this time please expect to see winter type weather. This along with travel problems may be likely at some time. Please be advised that during winter weather one must slow down and enjoy the ride.... this concludes our test of the winter weather warning system. If you are currently driving in bad weather, please put down your computer and focus on the road in front of you. Thanks

bearded_gnome 3 years, 12 months ago

Bud, you sir are a killjoy! we like to watch the texters on ice, you know the darwin award contestants!

BrianR: Oh great, the grocery stores will be packed. The minor threat of weather and people go into a panic as if they're going to repeat the events of the Donner Party if they don't stock up.

---Brian, I hear that filet of man's arm tastes like chicken.

but stay clear of the sirloin! Accent doen't even help that cut.

budwhysir 3 years, 12 months ago

gnome: please note I said please put down your computers. Texters are still in the game, so long as they are still texting at 30mph and only checking the rear view mirror once every 15 blocks. Always remember 1/4" of ice allows for even more texting at higher speeds. After all, we are behind on darwin award presentations this winter.

LadyWolf 3 years, 12 months ago

How do you put a picture up to go w/name when posting?

bearded_gnome 3 years, 12 months ago

LadyWolf, go to your own profile, click on avatar, there you go.
before you go there, identify your image you want, choose with care.

LadyWolf 3 years, 12 months ago

Thank you. I'll try that in the near future. I will choose w/care...good advice. Merry Whatever-you-celebrate!!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 12 months ago

budwhysir (anonymous) says…

---if they're texting, they don't know when they've reached 30MPH! lol.

Note to LJWorld: this time, during this event, can we have an LJWorld online blog where people can just post pics and sightings of idiot drivers on ice? would be cool. might save lives?

bearded_gnome 3 years, 12 months ago

LadyWolf, you're welcome, and it's Merry Christmas.

yes yes I know it is terribly uncool and unpolitically correct.

apparently the roads in lawrence aren't so bad yet.

overthemoon 3 years, 12 months ago

Looking at the NWS radar map, I'm guessing we will get next to no precipitation at all. Looks like the famous 'lawrence split' in the weather again. North and south will get something. Nothing here.

I'll check back in the morning to stand corrected, hopefully. I'd like a good 5 inches of White Christmas!!

hooligan01 3 years, 11 months ago

Why is this even still posted, let alone as breaking news. They cancelled the advisory for all of us.

kjellifritt 3 years, 11 months ago

Uh huh. As I thought...another BOTCHED forecast! Am I surprised? Are any of us surprised?

So far this winter has been pretty pathetic! Sorry, I didn't mean to call it winter; it's more like a "colder fall". Why don't we just skip this so called "winter" (sorry for saying it) and move straight to spring?

Hopefully for next year, "winter" will man up and it will be worth the time.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Gene Wallace 3 years, 11 months ago

The forecast was Not botched. An "unexpected" and mostly unknown factor Changed things. CCG!

kernal 3 years, 11 months ago

Botched forecast? Then that must be cloud dandruff coming down on sweaty sidewalks and driveways. Oh, my!

budwhysir 3 years, 11 months ago

for me this was not a botched forcast... in my mind, I canceled this warning yesterday, in fact I canceled this before it was issued. This made clearing my sidewalk of snow and ice snow much easier.... what am I going to do with my new snow shovel and snow blower I asked for for the holidays...

kjellifritt 3 years, 11 months ago

Nah, but thanks though. It was botched like most forecasts are. That's a given.

And yes, Merry Christmas, Corky! Merry Christmas to everyone!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

We're still all gonna die (most of us not from a winter storm this week).

Curtis Lange 3 years, 11 months ago

It wasn't a botched forecast. The talk had been there all week that this storm was most likely not going to organize by the time it got to us, but after it passed to the east.

kjellifritt 3 years, 11 months ago

Um...that's not what I heard! I heard from every station and person..."freezing rain and 1 to 3 inches of snow". Of course, I knew it was BS when I heard it. I don't know about you but I didn't see any of this in Lawrence, Topeka OR Manhattan!

Eh, it's okay though. No one really puts any faith into meteorologists anymore because of their inadequacy all the time. Hell, it's funny, even construction foreman I know predict weather better than these so called "meteorologists".

I get a kick out of these people knocking Katie Horner and calling her an incompetent meteorologist. They're all incompetent!!! What the heck do you mean...Katie Horner? Don't give me that BS about her being bad when they're all bad! Those people are just a bunch of fat housewifes complaining that their husbands watch her on TV. Please, don't single her out! They all SUCK!

But I digress, I'm not putting down their profession but please, don't tell me that stations weren't saying "freezing rain and 1 to 3 inches". I hope you misspoke.

Merry Christmas!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 11 months ago

---+= very funny!

trinity 3 years, 11 months ago

at least i've not noticed the weatherfolk on other channels literally and actually gagging on saliva while they give the weather because they get so hyped up they forget to swallow. can't stand to listen to tornadykatie-and it's got not a thing to do with the hubby. i think people forget that weather patterns can and do change as they progress across the country...so yeah, ya know what? it ain't nothin' but a thing! now go sip some more nog&have a merry merry whatever you celebrate, and take a chill pill while you're at it.

kjellifritt 3 years, 11 months ago

HAHAHA! Hubby, eh? You pretty much summed it up! I won't say anymore than that; I don't need too. :) I got a good laugh outta that though.

Merry Christmas and hope for a new year of maybe being a "tornadykatie" spitting image. LOL! Nevermind, you won't get it! :)