Archive for Thursday, December 23, 2010

Local experts offer advice for avoiding frozen pipes and costly repairs

December 23, 2010

Terry Lewis knows that this winter pipes across Lawrence are in danger.

Even when the temperature drops to 30 degrees, pipes can freeze, said the service manager for Kastl Plumbing in Lawrence.

“But when it drops down to 20 degrees and it sustains that for two to three days, they’re really going to start popping,” he said.

He and the city of Lawrence offered a few tips and reminders to protect against an expensive repair this season.

• Leave cabinet doors under the sink open, so that heat from the house can reach the pipes.

• If it gets really cold, leaving a small stream of water running from faucets can prevent freezing — but Lewis said that hot water can freeze faster than cold water (yes, you can look it up), so it’s important to leave hot water on, too, in addition to cold water.

• Disconnect outdoor hoses to allow water to drain.

• Insulate exposed pipes in unheated areas, such as crawl spaces.

• During extended absences away from home, leave the heat on to avoid broken pipes.

• Seal off cracks and repair broken windows, but be careful to avoid plugging heater vents.

• Identify the master shut-off valve so that it can be easily found if a pipe bursts to minimize water damage.

• When installing new pipes, consider plastic pipes, which are typically cheaper, and can expand up to 10 times their normal size before bursting, Lewis said.

Comments

Michael Capra 4 years ago

wow terry ten times there normal size thats big 1in to 10 inch pipe where can i by that special pipe

LogicMan 4 years ago

My grandma said never use "got".

I hope he didn't go in school! Unless it was in a restroom.

:-)

Maybe he's of the multitasking/texting generation? You know, the ones that don't sweat the small stuff. Nor the big ones either.

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years ago

It is really easy for people to be brave under an anonymous guise. There is no reason to be so rude about grammatical errors. If one is so concerned then maybe a private message is more appropriate, instead of trying to humiliate someone.

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years ago

Thanks for the reminder! I just jumped up and unscrewed my hose on one of my outside spigots! I forgot I had hosed something off the other day.

DillonBarnes 4 years ago

I wonder if you would say that to her face, I kind of doubt it.

Have fun being an internet tough guy, because the real world is too hard.

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Install PEX tubing. Less likely to freeze and if it does, it's less likely to burst.

booyalab 4 years ago

"Lewis said that hot water can freeze faster than cold water (yes, you can look it up)"

As the lazy reader, I would rather not be told to go look elsewhere for an explanation that could easily fit into the paragraph I'm already reading.

Here's the reason for that counter-intuitive phenomenon....hot water evaporates, less water freezes more quickly.