Archive for Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Man reports stolen mountain bike in 1000 block of Massachusetts Street

December 21, 2010

A 33-year-old Lawrence man reported to police between 10:20 p.m. and 10:37 p.m. Saturday someone stole his white and green Eastern Mad Dog mountain bike, valued at $1,000, from the 1000 block of Massachusetts Street.

Comments

irunsowhat 4 years ago

Check the bike rack at the Salvation Army! My bike was stolen so I decided to scope out the Salvation Army to see if someone that stayed there had stolen it. Bingo. Got my $600 dollar bike back.

John Hamm 4 years ago

Yeah, well, my son's was stolen a few months back and nobody in this town gives a ..........! And that includes the police!

tanaumaga 4 years ago

Tell him not to leave it outside....or get a better lock

ryknow1976 4 years ago

Jayhawk Pawn & Jewelry is another great spot for finding stolen items.

gphawk89 4 years ago

...only assuming that the bike in question had not been modified (lights, pump, bottles, bags, etc.).

somedude20 4 years ago

is he really sure that it was taken as I have locked my bike up a few times, had a few beers and could not remember where I had locked it up at or thought I locked it up at a place I didn't. Should have checked the town Sunday morning for his bike (or Santa came early for someone)

chitt 4 years ago

The door guy @ Louises said a group of kids walked past the bike...then not a minute later one came running back by with a black ski mask on, jumped on the bike and took off. Damn kids.

Horace 4 years ago

A grown man with a $1,000 bicycle?

Unless you're Lance Armstrong, wouldn't a $250 bicycle be a more prudent choice?

maxcrabb 4 years ago

Just go to Sunflower Bike and take a look at what $250 will get you.

booyalab 4 years ago

How else are they supposed to navigate all the mountains in Kansas?

Joe Hyde 4 years ago

In college towns both the city police and campus police departments should annually operate anti-bike theft sting operations. Set up the surveillance cameras and a chase group, then as bait put out a couple of expensive bikes (equipped with signal transponders, etc.) then snatch these thieves in the act.

If this were done I think after just a couple of arrests the rate of bike thefts would drop off bigtime. And it's worth spending police time doing this, too; some of the high-end bikes used by folks in college towns cost upwards of $2,500 or more. Bike theft is bigtime theft. And if by chance a sting leads to a bike theft ring resulting in multiple felony arrests and convictions, hey, so much the better.

dweinmann 4 years ago

I've felt this pain TWICE this past year. Locking your bike outside doesn't always work. When I take my bike downtown, I never let it leave my sight., even locked up. When at home, I now lock it up INSIDE. I trust the people I live with, but if we ever get robbed (which seems to be happening quite frequently to those living in the downtown area) the thieves won't be taking my bike.