Archive for Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Kansas parks officials verify fifth mountain lion sighting in Nemaha County

December 21, 2010

— Kansas officials have verified another mountain lion.

The Wichita Eagle reported that the mountain lion was photographed by a trail camera in Nemaha County on Dec. 7.

It's the state's fifth confirmed sighting since 2007. Before that, the last official verification of a mountain lion in the state occurred in 1904.

Officials with the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks learned about the Nemaha County photos last week.

Matt Peek of the department says a staff biologist inspected the area where the photo was taken to verify that it was the same spot pictured.

Comments

KU_cynic 4 years, 7 months ago

Could we get a link to a site with the photo from the trail camera?

geekin_topekan 4 years, 7 months ago

"Officials suspect the animals are coming from areas with expanding mountain lion populations." ++++ Wow! They must have spent years on college to come up with this hypothesis.

Ya gotta get up pretty early in the morning to get one past them, environmental officials, by cracky.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 7 months ago

This link is to Platte County, Missouri. The one discussed in this article was in Nemaha County, KS. According to the KC Star, the landowner wishes to remain anonymous and they aren't releasing pictures. However, the owner made the mistake of sending the photos to people who forwarded them on. They're pretty neat though! No mistaking what it was.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 7 months ago

No problem. I saw the picture for the Platte Co. one and was like, "Holy cow, I didn't see that one!" I wish the owner would let KDWP release the photos, but I also understand that he doesn't want crazy people running around the property trying to find and kill it.

Joe Hyde 4 years, 7 months ago

It was inevitable that the cats would try to re-occupy their former territory. More humans to avoid now, true; however, an abundance of mule deer, whitetail deer and wild turkeys such as Kansas has nowadays isn't going to be ignored by top predators like the mountain lion.

The rule in nature is: If there's something to eat, something will come along and eat it.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

Note to self: stop wandering the prairie with raw tuna in my trousers.

LogicMan 4 years, 7 months ago

and stop making deer noises and take those antlers off too!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

This time of the year, I always keep a can of Squid-Be-Gone handy.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm included in the hundreds reporting Mountain Lion sightings to the DNR from the area. Probably like most was treated like I saw a UFO. Actually treated pretty rudely as the agent tried to convince me a cat the size of a doe with long tail was of course a bobcat. Or even worse a house cat. Didn't mention I was not alone when seeing this stunning sight.

Like most who witnessed this fantastic animal in the wild I did some checking outside the DNR.

Rural long timers around the area are not surprised. Many told me of finding footprints or other evidence on a regular basis. Many have seen them too. Just Lawrence South to Ottawa provides perfect habitat and gives the shy animals just the cover they need. I expect if they do not wish to be seen they can do a good job of keeping distance.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Officials have known for several yrs that Mountain Lions were back... They deny it publically because if it is admitted, then they will have to spend large amounts of money on Federally mandated Mountain Lion containment plans. No one wants to spend money on that. Just more gov. red tape.

jd 4 years, 7 months ago

I saw one on the north side of Hwy 24 just south of Lake Perry a couple years back. Didn't bother to report it but I'm confident it was a mountain lion. It was very close to my sister's house and when I told her about it she wondered if that's why the dogs had been going nuts the night before.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 7 months ago

"Kansas officials have verified another mountain lion."

How are they sure that they are not seeing the same one several times?

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 7 months ago

Now that I've taken another look, I see they got the title correct. But the first line of the article is a bit misleading.

Richard Payton 4 years, 7 months ago

Chesty Lions everywhere in Kansas! Large population in Lawrence, Kansas around 1901 Louisiana St. Lawrence, KS. Some are wild be on the look out for them since sometimes they growl.

riverdrifter 4 years, 7 months ago

The guy whose camera got those images doesn't mess around. It's a Reconyx RC60, totally covert. It emits no visible light when recording night images. In a totally dark room it can take your picture from 6 inches away and you'd never know it. The cams I use put out a brief red glow which might have spooked this cat. The young buck pictured in my avatar is checking out my camera's glow. In the process, he gave the cam a big wet kiss which smudged the lense. I hate it when that happens. My cams only only cost ~$250 though. The RC60 is $550. Expensive but worth it.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 7 months ago

Very cool kitties! I have a friend with some large mice - guess you might want to go with the word rat. She's been wanting to make some break neck stew, I believe these cats would make it out of mice, and men, and then again, even her.

Was that a self portrait, River? :)

riverdrifter 4 years, 7 months ago

Heck, my cams got umpteen hundred pics this fall but did I kill a deer? Nah, but I'm a horn hunter. I saw the deer in my avatar from my tree stand so many times that I named him Stick. Tall and skinny, probably 2 1/2 years old with a rack already outside his ears.

riverdrifter 4 years, 7 months ago

See Autie's 1203pm post. Alas, I'm no young buck but the rut is still always a hoot.

riverdrifter 4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks. Photoshop trickery, I'd guess. Image is being passed off as photo-infra-red but it has color mixed in. Fraud: there is no color in PIR images, at least as I know them from trail cams.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 7 months ago

RR and other Lawrence Libs, Native Americans hunt deer. So it's cool according to the Live Like A Lib magazine list of what's acceptable. Very expensive in Boston and New York too, so you have two outs for deer hunting coolness. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/227712 Betcha Barnie Frank and Hillary love Bambi dinners.

Just remember blowing weed and hunting do not mix. Rule o thumb, come out of the woods with the same amount of holes God gave you.

Steve's meat market's mixes a fantastic 80% -20% venison to ground pork recipe which will keep you in soups and stews all winter. Sloppy Joes are outstanding. Just bring in the ultimate in free range..... Bambi. The staff will wrap the meat in white butcher paper in all sizes. The reason we like the pork mix is venison is very healthy and contains little fat.

riverdrifter 4 years, 7 months ago

Couldn't find the link from your post, R_I. and I'd love to see it.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Again, they deny because if they admit they are here then expensive Federal regualations kick in.
They know they are here and have for at least ten yrs.

riverdrifter 4 years, 7 months ago

The reason they were reluctant to admit the presence of the big cats was that it was rumor-mill only, mainly. KDWP, quite simply, wanted hard evidence and good on them for that. Now, thanks to trap cameras, they're getting it. I can't wait until the first big cat shows up in Leawood or, God forbid, Mission Hills. I've got two cams out -and will have all winter, in isolated spots here in DG county. Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

Scott Morgan 4 years, 7 months ago

Venison is a very in demand meat mainly on the east and west coasts. Last time I checked in stores the price was around 20 bucks a pound. Knowing NY, probably 50 bucks now.

Never cooked it rare like served on the coasts though.

My kids understood ignorance regarding hunting. My family actually mocked the anti hunters and called venison Bambi. So when they were young we used to have Bambi for dinner.

No hunter wishes to jsut kill, or not real hunters to me. I shudder when hearing some talk about it. Killing is the worst part of hunting. Yet, a clean kill is part of it. A hunter wants to experience nature, uses long forgotten reflexes, and yes just look around. I've not shot a deer in years due to no need. Observed many. Still a hunter though. Thinking about the Jan. 1-3 season though.

On the other hand a freezer full of legally harvested meat and fish can make the family budget go much further. No kidding I do shoot a rabbit every year for wonderful Sunday dinner just to make sure I can still do it just in case.

Fried rabbit, mashed potatoes, cream gravy, corn on the cob. yummm