Archive for Monday, December 20, 2010

Report: Three-star QB Brock Berglund decommits from Colorado, commits to KU football

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

December 20, 2010, 4:03 p.m. Updated December 21, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

Brock Berglund highlights vs. Rampart

Brock Berglund highlights vs. Pamona

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

It turns out there was a Plan B for Kansas University’s football program after all.

One week after missing out on Zack Stoudt, the No. 2-ranked junior-college quarterback in the country who chose Mississippi over KU, reports surfaced Monday that Highlands Ranch, Colo., quarterback Brock Berglund, a senior at Valor Christian High who originally committed to Colorado, had switched his commitment from CU to Kansas.

The Denver Post’s Ryan Casey reported that Berglund, 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, was not on board with CU’s plans to change its offense under new head coach Jon Embree, who replaced Dan Hawkins, the man who recruited Berglund.

“Some of the changes in scheme and personnel are clearly different from my recruitment,” Berglund told the Post. “Even though they may be in the best interest of the program, they do not represent the best fit for me personally.”

Berglund continued: “I called coach Embree and explained my thoughts and feelings. I have decided to rescind my verbal commitment to CU and I have decided to verbally commit to the University of Kansas, where I am a better fit.”

Kansas recruited Berglund hard throughout 2010, as both offensive coordinator Chuck Long and cornerbacks coach Vic Shealy — who formerly coached at Air Force in Colorado Springs — were listed as KU’s lead recruiters for Berglund. The relationships he built with them, along with head coach Turner Gill, kept KU at the top of Berglund’s list throughout his recruitment.

“The most important thing’s probably the people.... getting to know the coaches and things like that,” Berglund told’s Jon Kirby in June.

At the very least, adding Berglund gives KU some much-needed depth at quarterback, where KU will retain part-time starters Quinn Mecham and Jordan Webb and welcome another three-star freshman, Michael Cummings, next season.

Berglund has talked about graduating high school early and enrolling at the school of his choice in January. If that happens, the best-case scenario could include Berglund stepping in right away as the Jayhawks’ starter.

“Our offense uses me under center and out of the gun,” Berglund told in March. “We use a lot of play-action and run a lot of option through play-action as well. I would say I’m pretty mobile. I’m 205 (pounds) right now, but I think I can get to 210-215 pretty easily. I’m just focused on getting stronger, faster, and increasing my arm strength right now.”

Berglund, who guided his prep team to a Class 4A state title earlier this month, visited KU in June for a seven-on-seven camp. His time in Lawrence gave him a chance to meet with Long, Shealy and Gill. He also toured the football complex, which made a lasting impression.

“I think the facilities here are amazing,” he told Kirby at the time. “I’ve really never seen anything like it. I’ve been to some big schools, and (there’s been) nothing like this.”

Rivals ranks Berglund as the 13th best dual-threat QB in the Class of 2011.

Berglund nearly committed to UCLA this summer, but chose in-state CU over Boise State, Colorado State, Duke, Kansas, Kansas State, San Diego State, Tulsa, Utah, Washington State and Wyoming.

jaywalkinhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

Welcome Brock! Nice job to Gill and the coaching staff for bringing in the talent.

Richard Payton 4 years, 11 months ago

Dual threat style quarterback much better fit for KU!

xclusive85 4 years, 11 months ago

Stoudt, however, went to Louisville first. His attitude got him into the dog house with Steve Kragthorpe and so he didn't play him. Stoudt decided to go to JUCO where he could play right away instead of sit out a year. I would compare his situation to Cam Newton, except he is a completely different type of QB than Cam. Cam is much better.

Kyle Reed 4 years, 11 months ago

What??? His situation is NOTHING like Newton's other than they were both Juco QB's looking to move to Division 1. Newton left Florida under allegations of academic cheating and criminal issues of stealing a laptop. How does that compare to Stoudt wanting early play time and not having that available?

colreader 4 years, 11 months ago

Here's the link to the Denver Post article....... Pretty colorful comments after the article!

davidsmom 4 years, 11 months ago

"Since my early childhood I have dreamed of being a Colorado Buffalo and will continue to be a Buffalo at heart," Berglund said. "I wish the CU Buffalo program the very best in the future."

Well, I certainly hope he becomes a Jayhawk at heart!

xclusive85 4 years, 11 months ago

Always the pessimist, huh backer? Maybe you should remove that part from your name. Brock could have just as easily chosen K State, right? Who is their QB? would have been even closer than KU. Give credit where credit is due, even though I know you don't think it is. There had to be something he liked about KU enough to switch his decision to us and not someone else.

parrothead8 4 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps you can explain to us, then, why the kid chose KU over the other 13 schools that had originally made him scholarship offers? They also seem to need QBs.

If staying close to home is so important to the kid, perhaps you can explain to us why the kid almost committed to UCLA before committing to CU? (How far away is LA from Highlands Ranch CO? Oh...TWICE as far as Lawrence KS, you say?)

Perhaps you can explain to us why he didn't choose Utah over KU? Utah has been in BCS contention the last several years, they were one of the finalists to sign him last summer, and they are about an hour closer to his home than KU.

The personal attack you levy against Coach Gill aside, he has coached for one season at KU using players he didn't recruit. Anyone who judges him based on the results from that season knows very little about football.

BigAl 4 years, 11 months ago

"the good coaching and winning ways of coach Mangino"... Does that include the 7 game losing skid Mangino had us on? A losing skid that involved MUCH better players than what is on the current team. Does that statement also include the overall losing record against Big12 teams?

The football facitilities were built IN-SPITE of Mangino. There was/is no love lost between the Andersons and Mark Mangino.

You are probably one of those that announced how Mangino would be hired at a bigger/better school. How is that working out for you?

gorilla10 4 years, 11 months ago

You are the type of fan that KU needs less of..........

maxcrabb 4 years, 11 months ago

kuNONbacker (anonymous) says…

There, I fixed it for you!

kujayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

BigAl 4 years, 11 months ago

And I guess you were ok with the embarassment of losing 7 games in a row with MUCH better talent than what is currently on the team. And I guess you are ok with a head coach that goes berserk on the sidelines at a High School football game. I guess you are ok with a coach that tries to intimidate female parking attendants.

Check out Mangino's Big12 record and then get back to me on how great he was/is. By the way, do you think he will ever be a head coach again?

Victor Dawson 4 years, 11 months ago

I didn't see you signing him, so shut up!

thebigspoon 4 years, 11 months ago

The school he went to had 680 students. That would be like coming from a 3a school in Kansas. Not too many D-1 quartebacks from 3a schools...Doubt if he has been up against Big 12 caliber defenses ?

riverdrifter 4 years, 11 months ago

The highest level quarteRbacks in the largest high schools have not "been up against Big 12 caliber defenses". Next.

Bob Forer 4 years, 11 months ago

Nolan Cromwell played 8 man football for Ransom, Kansas. So what's your point.

riverdrifter 4 years, 11 months ago

We agree completely, Sychophant. Maybe I didn't make my point clear.

tecuani 4 years, 11 months ago

mnort 4 years, 11 months ago

Valor plays in 4A, which includes (for football) schools up to 1600 enrollment. They play up in classification because they dominated 3A last year.

He's a great athlete. Ran in multiple events at the state track meet last spring

How many high school kids played against "Big 12 caliber defenses" anyway?

amesn 4 years, 11 months ago

Wow...don't give the kid a chance or anything...sheesh...nice "fans" you guys are

lakeith7 4 years, 11 months ago

My first post and it's b/c of inaccuracies by haters. The largest school in Kansas, Wichita East, has 1,584 in its three upper classes. The smallest 6A school is Hutchinson, which has moved up from 5A, with 961 students. Class 5A ranges from 917 to 532 students while 4A has the biggest disparity from 530 to 194. Ulysses and Hugoton. Oh yeah for kubacker we beat out UCLA and Utah, two "name" BCS schools for this kid. So instead of complaining you should know Darrian Miller(Missouri) and Berglund were both top 3 players in their respective states.

seth5792 4 years, 11 months ago

Lawrence has the biggest haters around. 99% of the people in this town probably don't have half the athletic ability this kid does. Key word he is a kid. Give him a chance. He may pan out he may not, the good thing is he came here, the more that come the better we get. It takes time. All you bandwagoneers need to wake up. Turner Gill in one year is already signing better and more quality players, from more quality programs than Mangino did in eight years.

Take a chill pill

missmagoo 4 years, 11 months ago

nobody1793 4 years, 11 months ago

Have you ever read comments on other sites. The Lawrence a-holes are no better or worse than the rest of the world's a-holes. Except for some of them.

Roll tide.

riverdrifter 4 years, 11 months ago

Alabama is just about the worst. Screw the tiders.

nobody1793 4 years, 11 months ago

(I'm just making fun of the ESPN commercial...roll tide)

Bill Lee 4 years, 11 months ago

Not just haters, but whiners. Many here have never posted anything positive about anyone or anything.

LogicMan 4 years, 11 months ago

Maybe the first sign that young folk, and their parents, aren't thrilled about risking their lives to fly over the Rockies for each away game?

mdfraz 4 years, 11 months ago

Because with all the jets that fly over the Rockies on a daily basis there are so many plane crashes?

Your screenname might be a misnomer.

drnater 4 years, 11 months ago

Isn't this the same guy that visited us and was pretty high on us like a week or two before he committed to Colorado? If so then he's been on Gills radar for awhile, and obviously made an impact on him! Congrats to the coaches, funny how I read only a couple weeks ago tha Gill was ruining any recruiting KU had built up, but all I've seen since football ended is us pickup a 4-star, and 3? 3-stars, that on top of the other 16 recruits, plus Julian Greene who wasn't allowed to play this semster cuz the ncaa didn't clear him. Gills doin an awful job, lets fire him...

labmonkey 4 years, 11 months ago

6'4" and 205 lbs.... hopefully he can bulk up a little bit and get to the 220's by his sophomore year... he could be a force.

Judgement should be reserved until we see the kid play. For those fawning over Gill, it seems that the facilities is what attracted him most here, which was built by the previous regime. Hopefully he is good and will put butts in the seats to help pay for those facilities.

tecuani 4 years, 11 months ago

He will gain 20 pounds of muscle by the fall. Division I strength coaches are fricking wizards when it comes to that stuff. He'll be listed 6'5" 230 lbs on the roster come next fall. (Always got to add that imaginary inch of height)

Read the article again, as I do recall much talk about relationships built with the coaching staff. When it comes down to it, players want to play for the right coach. He was probably just being "nice" about the facilities.

This is a very good thing. Watch his videos. He is fairly quick, and just plain fast once at full steam. Tall and likes to throw. Was throwing a little high on some of the screens and shorter passes though.

truman1902 4 years, 11 months ago

Is it me, or does Brock appear to be in his early 30's..Receding hairline, furrowed brow?? By his senior year at KU, he'll be sporting whatever gray hair he has left, from all the scrambling he'll be forced to deal with. Someone get him in touch with former QB Bill Whittemore as to what expectations are on the plate. I wish him well, but I also predict whirlpool therapy, Tylenol, vicious blogs, and most likely Bobby Douglas type rushing yardage out of the pocket! Welcome aboard Brock!

ecilop 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm pretty sure that KUBACKER is actually a MU fan.

Kyle Reed 4 years, 11 months ago

Real KU football fans aren't embarassed about any of that because anybody that IS a real football fan doesn't give a second thought about know nothing, trash talkers that wouldn't know their a** from a hole in the ground.

It does no good to get on forums like this and try to explain to these dimwits why this is a good catch, or why the state of affairs with our team are not as bleak as they seem to think they are.

Us real fans know things are slowly but surely moving in the right direction. I suspect alot of the haters will be fair weathered and be cheering us on once winning seasons return, and those of us that have been cheering all along will just look their way, shake our heads, and keep on ignoring them.

BigAl 4 years, 11 months ago

And once again we hear from Babboy and his little sister syndrome. Never mind that KSU was one of the schools recruiting Berglund. I happen to believe that KU is sitting in a better long term football position than the Wildcats are. KU won 1 Big 12 game this year with a new coach, new and young players and a new system. Coming off a 7 game losing skid, the KU cupboard was bare. In comparison, KSU won 3 games in the Big12 with an established system, established players and the greatest coach since Vince Lombardi. It doesn't appear to me that it will take much effort to pass the sagging KSU football program.

KU dominates KSU all-time in both football and basketball. Long term, that will continue.

yankeevet 4 years, 11 months ago

13th? Thats something to get excited about??

Jim Williamson 4 years, 11 months ago

Considering the thousands of kids who play high school QB, yes, it is. You're an idiot, yankeevet. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

rgh 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm happy for KU and Gill getting this kid. We really needed the Juco transfer QB for an immediate fix. I like the dual threat idea but we had that in Kale Pick also. I hope we don't end up with a carousel of players having to switch positions each year to fill voids. We need to get them positioned and let them do their thing. I think given this year and next to recruit that Gill and company will be just fine. We struggled at times on offense and defense but we have two of the best coordinators in football if they can get the kids to understand what they need to do and if we can keep the coaches around long enough.

Jim Williamson 4 years, 11 months ago

This kid was KU's 2nd choice for a high school QB after Gardner-Edgerton's Bubba Starling. Bubba, as you all know, is pretending that's he's going to Nebraska to play football so that his "family adviser," Scott Borus, can put some serious screws to whomever picks the kid in the first round of the MLB draft. Bubba ain't going to Lincoln. Borus will give him 60 million reasons not to right after the MLB draft.

My point is, if you can't get Bubba, plan B's not so bad.

thatonedude 4 years, 11 months ago

Seriously, the kid looks like a decent prospect. People are just obsessed with negativity.

Gary Denning 4 years, 11 months ago

The article lists him as Plan B? He was more highly recruited than Cummings and maybe more than the juco guy. He sounds like Plan A to me.

Jeremiah Jefferson 4 years, 11 months ago

With or with out the new quarterback, Ku football is still gona suck next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, pretty much forever... Thats just the way its always been and the way its always going to be lol.

Kyle Reed 4 years, 11 months ago

"With or with out the new quarterback, catfishturkeyhunter is still gona suck next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, pretty much forever... Thats just the way its always been and the way its always going to be lol."

There, I fixed that for you.

BigAl 4 years, 11 months ago

But at least it is comforting to know that historically KU is dominate over KSU and at a break-even point with MU.