Archive for Monday, December 20, 2010

Report: Three-star QB Brock Berglund decommits from Colorado, commits to KU football

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

December 20, 2010, 4:03 p.m. Updated December 21, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

YouTube

Brock Berglund highlights vs. Rampart

YouTube

Brock Berglund highlights vs. Pamona

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

Quarterback Brock Berglund.

It turns out there was a Plan B for Kansas University’s football program after all.

One week after missing out on Zack Stoudt, the No. 2-ranked junior-college quarterback in the country who chose Mississippi over KU, reports surfaced Monday that Highlands Ranch, Colo., quarterback Brock Berglund, a senior at Valor Christian High who originally committed to Colorado, had switched his commitment from CU to Kansas.

The Denver Post’s Ryan Casey reported that Berglund, 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, was not on board with CU’s plans to change its offense under new head coach Jon Embree, who replaced Dan Hawkins, the man who recruited Berglund.

“Some of the changes in scheme and personnel are clearly different from my recruitment,” Berglund told the Post. “Even though they may be in the best interest of the program, they do not represent the best fit for me personally.”

Berglund continued: “I called coach Embree and explained my thoughts and feelings. I have decided to rescind my verbal commitment to CU and I have decided to verbally commit to the University of Kansas, where I am a better fit.”

Kansas recruited Berglund hard throughout 2010, as both offensive coordinator Chuck Long and cornerbacks coach Vic Shealy — who formerly coached at Air Force in Colorado Springs — were listed as KU’s lead recruiters for Berglund. The relationships he built with them, along with head coach Turner Gill, kept KU at the top of Berglund’s list throughout his recruitment.

“The most important thing’s probably the people.... getting to know the coaches and things like that,” Berglund told Rivals.com’s Jon Kirby in June.

At the very least, adding Berglund gives KU some much-needed depth at quarterback, where KU will retain part-time starters Quinn Mecham and Jordan Webb and welcome another three-star freshman, Michael Cummings, next season.

Berglund has talked about graduating high school early and enrolling at the school of his choice in January. If that happens, the best-case scenario could include Berglund stepping in right away as the Jayhawks’ starter.

“Our offense uses me under center and out of the gun,” Berglund told ESPN.com in March. “We use a lot of play-action and run a lot of option through play-action as well. I would say I’m pretty mobile. I’m 205 (pounds) right now, but I think I can get to 210-215 pretty easily. I’m just focused on getting stronger, faster, and increasing my arm strength right now.”

Berglund, who guided his prep team to a Class 4A state title earlier this month, visited KU in June for a seven-on-seven camp. His time in Lawrence gave him a chance to meet with Long, Shealy and Gill. He also toured the football complex, which made a lasting impression.

“I think the facilities here are amazing,” he told Kirby at the time. “I’ve really never seen anything like it. I’ve been to some big schools, and (there’s been) nothing like this.”

Rivals ranks Berglund as the 13th best dual-threat QB in the Class of 2011.

Berglund nearly committed to UCLA this summer, but chose in-state CU over Boise State, Colorado State, Duke, Kansas, Kansas State, San Diego State, Tulsa, Utah, Washington State and Wyoming.

Comments

catfishturkeyhunter 3 years, 3 months ago

With or with out the new quarterback, Ku football is still gona suck next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, pretty much forever... Thats just the way its always been and the way its always going to be lol.

Gary Denning 3 years, 3 months ago

The article lists him as Plan B? He was more highly recruited than Cummings and maybe more than the juco guy. He sounds like Plan A to me.

thatonedude 3 years, 3 months ago

Seriously, the kid looks like a decent prospect. People are just obsessed with negativity.

Jim Williamson 3 years, 3 months ago

This kid was KU's 2nd choice for a high school QB after Gardner-Edgerton's Bubba Starling. Bubba, as you all know, is pretending that's he's going to Nebraska to play football so that his "family adviser," Scott Borus, can put some serious screws to whomever picks the kid in the first round of the MLB draft. Bubba ain't going to Lincoln. Borus will give him 60 million reasons not to right after the MLB draft.

My point is, if you can't get Bubba, plan B's not so bad.

rgh 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm happy for KU and Gill getting this kid. We really needed the Juco transfer QB for an immediate fix. I like the dual threat idea but we had that in Kale Pick also. I hope we don't end up with a carousel of players having to switch positions each year to fill voids. We need to get them positioned and let them do their thing. I think given this year and next to recruit that Gill and company will be just fine. We struggled at times on offense and defense but we have two of the best coordinators in football if they can get the kids to understand what they need to do and if we can keep the coaches around long enough.

yankeevet 3 years, 3 months ago

13th? Thats something to get excited about??

BigAl 3 years, 3 months ago

And once again we hear from Babboy and his little sister syndrome. Never mind that KSU was one of the schools recruiting Berglund. I happen to believe that KU is sitting in a better long term football position than the Wildcats are. KU won 1 Big 12 game this year with a new coach, new and young players and a new system. Coming off a 7 game losing skid, the KU cupboard was bare. In comparison, KSU won 3 games in the Big12 with an established system, established players and the greatest coach since Vince Lombardi. It doesn't appear to me that it will take much effort to pass the sagging KSU football program.

KU dominates KSU all-time in both football and basketball. Long term, that will continue.

BABBOY 3 years, 3 months ago

I would be embarrassed if I were Ku football fan.

I mean you guys get basketball. But are clueless when it comes to football.

Per Rivals, the kid is the 13 ranked dual action QB in the Nation. That is pretty good "get" for a non-football school. Gill has nice class coming in despite the crummy football fans at Ku. Tuner Gill is a good coach.

Gill is going to prove himself. Then after proving himself, -- if he has any common sense -- he will leave for a place that treats him better.

Ku fans are still delusional enough to think they should have hired away Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops or something else insane along those lines that never was going happen when they stupidly cheered on Perkins for firing Mangino.

Firing Mangino was mistake, but Gill was good hire.

Actually, Ku should just accept the reality that should drop football and move to the Big East and just play basketball.

They just missed their chance to pull that one off ......

whats_going_on 3 years, 3 months ago

you people are nasty, good lord!

ecilop 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm pretty sure that KUBACKER is actually a MU fan.

truman1902 3 years, 3 months ago

Is it me, or does Brock appear to be in his early 30's..Receding hairline, furrowed brow?? By his senior year at KU, he'll be sporting whatever gray hair he has left, from all the scrambling he'll be forced to deal with. Someone get him in touch with former QB Bill Whittemore as to what expectations are on the plate. I wish him well, but I also predict whirlpool therapy, Tylenol, vicious blogs, and most likely Bobby Douglas type rushing yardage out of the pocket! Welcome aboard Brock!

labmonkey 3 years, 3 months ago

6'4" and 205 lbs.... hopefully he can bulk up a little bit and get to the 220's by his sophomore year... he could be a force.

Judgement should be reserved until we see the kid play. For those fawning over Gill, it seems that the facilities is what attracted him most here, which was built by the previous regime. Hopefully he is good and will put butts in the seats to help pay for those facilities.

drnater 3 years, 3 months ago

Isn't this the same guy that visited us and was pretty high on us like a week or two before he committed to Colorado? If so then he's been on Gills radar for awhile, and obviously made an impact on him! Congrats to the coaches, funny how I read only a couple weeks ago tha Gill was ruining any recruiting KU had built up, but all I've seen since football ended is us pickup a 4-star, and 3? 3-stars, that on top of the other 16 recruits, plus Julian Greene who wasn't allowed to play this semster cuz the ncaa didn't clear him. Gills doin an awful job, lets fire him...

LogicMan 3 years, 3 months ago

Maybe the first sign that young folk, and their parents, aren't thrilled about risking their lives to fly over the Rockies for each away game?

Bill Lee 3 years, 3 months ago

Not just haters, but whiners. Many here have never posted anything positive about anyone or anything.

seth5792 3 years, 3 months ago

Man..............

Lawrence has the biggest haters around. 99% of the people in this town probably don't have half the athletic ability this kid does. Key word he is a kid. Give him a chance. He may pan out he may not, the good thing is he came here, the more that come the better we get. It takes time. All you bandwagoneers need to wake up. Turner Gill in one year is already signing better and more quality players, from more quality programs than Mangino did in eight years.

Take a chill pill

lakeith7 3 years, 3 months ago

My first post and it's b/c of inaccuracies by haters. The largest school in Kansas, Wichita East, has 1,584 in its three upper classes. The smallest 6A school is Hutchinson, which has moved up from 5A, with 961 students. Class 5A ranges from 917 to 532 students while 4A has the biggest disparity from 530 to 194. Ulysses and Hugoton. Oh yeah for kubacker we beat out UCLA and Utah, two "name" BCS schools for this kid. So instead of complaining you should know Darrian Miller(Missouri) and Berglund were both top 3 players in their respective states.

amesn 3 years, 3 months ago

Wow...don't give the kid a chance or anything...sheesh...nice "fans" you guys are

thebigspoon 3 years, 3 months ago

The school he went to had 680 students. That would be like coming from a 3a school in Kansas. Not too many D-1 quartebacks from 3a schools...Doubt if he has been up against Big 12 caliber defenses ?

kubacker 3 years, 3 months ago

There is nothing to congratulate that idiot Turner Gill about. The coach he committed to play for got fired. KU has no quarterback and everybody in the entire country knows it including this kid. KU had no choice when the phone rang but to basically guarantee him the starting QB job. He gets to start for a Big12/BCS school and stay close to home where parents can get over to see him play. Anyone off the streets of Lawrence could have signed this kid for KU.

davidsmom 3 years, 3 months ago

"Since my early childhood I have dreamed of being a Colorado Buffalo and will continue to be a Buffalo at heart," Berglund said. "I wish the CU Buffalo program the very best in the future."

Well, I certainly hope he becomes a Jayhawk at heart!

colreader 3 years, 3 months ago

Here's the link to the Denver Post article....... Pretty colorful comments after the article!

red_devil 3 years, 3 months ago

Serious question....why was everyone so excited about Stoudt being #2 juco player in the country when current KU qb Mecham was also a highly ranked juco qb. What's the difference?

Richard Payton 3 years, 3 months ago

Dual threat style quarterback much better fit for KU!

jaywalkinhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Welcome Brock! Nice job to Gill and the coaching staff for bringing in the talent.